Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2018, 23:30   #991
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Related Thread (Simplified: The Idiot's Guide to keeping your car clean & shiny)

Keeping in mind the best practices listed in that thread, the 530d is getting its post-monsoon detailing session. That's the team from Kamyo. It's also the car's 5th birthday gift - she turns 5 in November.

Attachment 1811869

I have used Kamyo in the past. They're really good. Just curious - based on your past recommendation I actually got my car detailed last week from Mazda motors for the first time. And they were very good too. In your opinion which of the two are better, seems like you have moved from Mazda to kamyo.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 00:07   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

That is not "hard water"

That miniscule amount of metal in the water from the AC unit is insufficient to leave a deposit on the paint. Any stain you notice is probably caused by atmospheric dust including that on the paint or dirt present in the water as it travels down the conduit. In normal conditions any water, including DW will leave behind a mark if left long enough to dry on the paint
What you are saying is right but there's a point which we tend to forget. When the service people service the units they use caustic-soda-based cleaning agents to cleanse the deep grime and dirt in the cooling coil and condenser. They clean it up but residue always remains sometimes deliberately left behind so that the unit corrodes and they can undertake cost replacement jobs.

This caustic residue is very much harmful to paint. An important and unassuming disaster waiting to happen.
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 08:44   #993
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
In your opinion which of the two are better, seems like you have moved from Mazda to kamyo.
I use both!

And IMHO, Mazda has the edge on Kamyo. I'll give Mazda a 10/10 and Kamyo a 9/10. I use Kamyo whenever I want the convenience of "at home" detailing. My days are really packed right now as I'm in the middle of a project & an official review, so no time to drop & pick up etc.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 09:03   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
They clean it up but residue always remains sometimes deliberately left behind so that the unit corrodes and they can undertake cost replacement jobs. This caustic residue is very much harmful to paint. An important and unassuming disaster waiting to happen.
OT once again for this thread. If what you shared is true, at least from your experience, to do this in Mumbai's already corrosive salt air is simply nuts. Also, keep in mind a dilute caustic soda solution will attack other internal metal surfaces too not just the HE. Over time you'd probably get holes in the outer metal panels of your OD or ID units My cousin used a CS solution to strip paint from a ceiling fan blades because he wanted to repaint them. Well, his experiment backfired. It removed the paint and chewed through much of the metal.

But I've seen service technicians cleaning AC heat exchangers with just plain water and use a low pressure spray gun to take off the muck. This is from my experience getting my home ACs serviced. I'd be more than just very upset if the tech used any corrosive substance to mess with my AC units.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 11:57   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
It removed the paint and chewed through much of the metal.

I'd be more than just very upset if the tech used any corrosive substance to mess with my AC units.
Actually the key is the correct level of dilution according to the desired application. That's what makes or breaks it. Coming to Ac technicians, you know what competition and cost cutting makes people do. Actually there are many ready-made solutions/sprays available in the market which they can use but the costs are mostly prohibitive if they want to match costs. You know how it is....
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 09:17   #996
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, good discussion, but let's not take the thread anymore off-topic please. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 16:29   #997
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Reading how Mohan was waxing eloquent about my favourite Mumbai-Nashik highway planted the seeds for this trip. With the mid-week Diwali holidays coming up, it was a no-brainer. Deolali & Nashik, here we come!

Beautiful highway. So much more fun than the boring Mumbai-Pune expressway:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg

1-way ghat section with sticky tarmac. Leave early and you're rewarded with empty mountain roads to play on:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2b.jpg

Despite being just a 2-lane highway, you can maintain healthy average speeds, even with the family (and redlining only on the fun parts). Don't miss the highway FE...that's without caring a damn. Main reason = no traffic & 8th gear:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-9.jpg

Team-BHP Fan spotted on the Nashik freeway. Thumbs up exchanged:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg

Ah, memories! The same spot where I shot the Mobilio's interiors (link to post). Stayed at the same hotel where Honda had hosted us then (Taj Nashik):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg

Good parking is always nice:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg

Admiring my car's stance in the window reflection . Am sure other BHPians do this too:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-5.jpg

Taking in the views is refreshing:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-6.jpg

And so is admiring the beauties in the parking lot. A manufacturer that has transformed itself into something sexy, young & aggressive:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-7.jpg

Another that's lost its way. The mind goes crazy with observations in a place like this:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-8.jpg

Misal + black coffee / strong tea is my standard highway meal since years. Two things have changed though = no pav / bread (LCHF) and no Marlboros (quit):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-10.jpg

~450 km and the stomach is only half empty. Try that in a 535i . I know it reads 412 km, but I'd driven 30 km in Bombay before resetting the trip meter for this drive:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-11.jpg

As good as the highway FE is, the city FE of 6 - 7 kmpl ensures that a road-trip's overall tally comes up to 11 - 12 kmpl:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-12.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th November 2018 at 16:46.
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 23:12   #998
BANNED

Very nice drive. That ghat section is more fun on the way down as the sweeps are bigger. Mountain roads are for cars like this (with a wide stance) and motorcycles. Just today, I was imagining doing these curves on a Scorpio, and couldn't help feeling that it would probably not be that great; given that I have seen a few Scorpios all toppled over on the sides of the Mumbai Pune.

Enjoy!!
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 13:03   #999
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
That ghat section is more fun on the way down as the sweeps are bigger.
You can say that again. Picture no.2 in my post is from the way down.

Quote:
Mountain roads are for cars like this (with a wide stance) and motorcycles. Just today, I was imagining doing these curves on a Scorpio
When I had to test-drive the Marazzo, I took it to the Mumbai-Pune expressway & Lonavla. However, on this ghat section, I've taken cars like the S60 AWD, Mini Cooper S, Linea T-Jet etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 14:57   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

And so is admiring the beauties in the parking lot. A manufacturer that has transformed itself into something sexy, young & aggressive:
Attachment 1816860

Another that's lost its way. The mind goes crazy with observations in a place like this:
Attachment 1816861

Between these two pictures, I counted 5 different Honda cars. I conclude from your post that both are from Taj's parking lot. So that just goes to show the potential that Honda's brand has or had (?) and in comparison how they are relegated to an average performer on the monthly sales charts.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 10:27   #1001
Team-BHP Support

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Love those sweeping bends of Kasara ghat. Took the Tiger out on Sat to Greenland Igatpuri with some riders from an ADV group. There is no substitute for a nice tar road with sweeping bends. I agree - much better than the Lonavala road. Seeing your post, I feel tempted now to take my GT as well on this road to Nasik sometime soon.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1541912207.219060.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1541912260.843074.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1541912231.121613.jpg  

Last edited by Axe77 : 11th November 2018 at 10:30.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 13:35   #1002
BANNED

Quote:
Love those sweeping bends of Kasara ghat. Took the Tiger out on Sat to Greenland Igatpuri with some riders from an ADV group. There is no substitute for a nice tar road with sweeping bends. I agree - much better than the Lonavala road. Seeing your post, I feel tempted now to take my GT as well on this road to Nasik sometime soon.

Attachment 1817188

Attachment 1817190
Nice ride and nice pictures too. Glad you got to enjoy the new bike on that road. It is also nice to see so many Multistradas on the ride. That bike's definitely the one with a bigger road bias as compared to the Tiger. You guys must have made quite the sight on the road.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 13:43   #1003
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Mohan. I think I may have strayed a tad off topic though with the bike ride posted here. Sorry guys.

On a separate note, I was generally browsing carwale (yes I admit I do that for no reason whatsoever - lol). Saw this amazing car on Mumbai carwale today. 2018 purchase and 14000 kms. If one can negotiate the price a bit it seems like a great buy!!

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1541923959.882319.jpg
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 12:58   #1004
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On a separate note, I was generally browsing carwale (yes I admit I do that for no reason whatsoever - lol). Saw this amazing car on Mumbai carwale today. 2018 purchase and 14000 kms.
Wow, that is quite a deal. An almost brand new 530d, and that too with corporate registration (businessmen can get lots of tax benefits). I'd buy this over a G30 as I still haven't warmed up to the new + weird design language.

If one buys this in their company name, the cost will be 40 lakhs or lower (after depreciation benefits).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2018, 15:44   #1005
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Through nicely fitting clothes, you can always tell a well-chiseled man or a gal with just the right curves.

DITTO
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20181115_150559.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th November 2018 at 16:44.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed