Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:29   #1051
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 520d 2015 AC ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
They just never seen to work.

This means that every foul odour and pollutant enters the car.
Agreed with both points. Not that bothered with the rear air-con unit as the a/c is a bone-chiller otherwise and makes the cabin COLD in no time.

But every kind of external odour enters the cabin. I'd commented on the same on the 1st page of this thread and was frankly surprised / disappointed.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:32   #1052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
Another issue is that BMW claims to keep the cabin oxygenated the AC does not close the exterior circulation went more than 85%. This means that every foul odour and pollutant enters the car. My cheaper Tata Bolt and Renault Duster completely block out foul odours. BMW needs to fix their ACs to Indian operating needs.
I wasn't aware of this! Now your post kind of clears it for me. All these days I was wondering how AC in our WagonR feels better in terms of keeping outside odour out than the 3GT.

Is this the case with Audis and Mercs too?
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 09:46   #1053
BHPian

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
I wasn't aware of this! Now your post kind of clears it for me. All these days I was wondering how AC in our WagonR feels better in terms of keeping outside odour out than the 3GT.

I think even my Honda CRV has this feature which is why some foul odours sweep in especially smell from Mahim Khadi when you drive past it.

Have sent the car twice to get the auto flaps checked and both times they've sent it back saying it's fine no issues.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th January 2019 at 14:12. Reason: Formatting quoted post
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 12:35   #1054
BANNED

Quote:
Not just the Europeans, a lot of Japanese and Americans have this (annoying?) feature too.

I find it impractical and quite irritating in a country where a lot of us do our best to keep the car dust and smell free.
n.devdath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 08:19   #1055
BHPian

Quote:

I think most European cars have it. They should reprogram it for India so when it recirculates it's 100% shut
noelravin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 14:10   #1056
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
My C220 was airtight in comparison. No outside smells or fumes in recirculation mode. With the 530d, if you're following a smoky bus or driving through an area with a stinky sewage, you will know it
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 15:36   #1057
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Someone I know whatsapp'ed me these pics, asking if I was interested in this hood. My response = no way. This would maybe suit a modified Honda Civic, but certainly not a luxury sedan like the F10:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-whatsapp-image-20190125-12.29.35.jpeg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-whatsapp-image-20190125-12.29.34-1.jpeg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-whatsapp-image-20190125-12.29.34.jpeg
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 17:49   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My C220 was airtight in comparison. No outside smells or fumes in recirculation mode. With the 530d, if you're following a smoky bus or driving through an area with a stinky sewage, you will know it
I am still learning how to "operate the 330i" but I see the recirculation button has two modes "A" and "M". It was on "A" when I took the delivery and drove around like that for a week. 2 days ago, pressed that button and it went into "M", now I think re-circulation is "always on" and no outside smell. Of course, early days, I will keep observing!
Old 26th January 2019, 11:27   #1059
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am still learning how to "operate the 330i" but I see the recirculation button has two modes "A" and "M".
Automatic will stay in fresh air mode until the system detects smoke / bad air / pollutants, which is when it'll move to recirculation mode temporarily. M means full on recirculation only.
Old 5th March 2019, 11:35   #1060
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Annual Service Update*

All my services so far have cost me between 20 – 35k, but I knew the 40,000 km service was going to be a big one. Total came up to 89 grand! Among other things, the brake pads were replaced. My brakes have lasted a bit longer than usual due to the amount of highway running (50% of the total km) & my habit of heavily using engine braking (via the paddles).

Sent the car in to BHPian Maverick5490 @ Infinity BMW, Turbhe. It’s a blessing to have a BHPian looking after your car. Zero stress, zero worry and you're both on the same wavelength. I spent about 2 hours at Infinity BMW on Saturday (got a full tour of the MASSIVE workshop), of which maybe just 5 – 10 minutes were spent talking about my car. The rest was 2 petrol-heads discussing other stuff.

Around the same time that the service was due, Akshay1234 pleasantly updated that he managed to get hold of the LCI-spec rims for me. Guess someone was upgrading his wheels...these just landed into my lap. At Rs. 48,500 for the set (including transport from Delhi), it was a steal. I’ve been on the lookout for these rims since a while.

With Maverick5490 @ his workshop (after the Team-BHP Mega Meet):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-0.jpg

Ready to roll on the new rims:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg

The 5 twin-spoke design is droolworthy IMHO:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-5.jpg

Have always been a sucker for the 5-spoke style. Here's my Vtec wearing them:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-7.jpg

And the sexy ones from my Civic:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-8.jpg

Also got the rear debadged . Any enthusiast who knows what a 530d is will identify it anyway (hint = reflectors are placed higher up on the bumper than the 520d). Those who don’t know will once I gun the accelerator .
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg

Being a pure gujju and considering that the 6-year warranty will be expiring at the end of 2019, I sent across a list of stuff to be done. Among the warranty replacements was the driver’s headrest whose material had gone bad & sticky, along with the faded BMW logo on the steering wheel. The extended warranty has easily paid for itself & I strongly recommend it for any car, from an Alto to the S-Class.

I guess at the same time next year, I’ll be looking at a remap. Truth be told, the car is f-a-s-t in stock form itself. Just that, when any of my cars get 5 – 6 years old, I like to spice things up a bit with modifications as I retain cars for 9 - 10 years. So, a 300 BHP remap is next on the list.

The 530d has been super reliable, hence there weren’t any major faults to be addressed. My list to Maverick included some smaller stuff:

• Recall work (link). Turns out, my car wasn’t affected by it.
• Scheduled 40,000 km service.
• Brake pads replaced.
• All filters changed (including air + fuel + cabin).
• Front right headlamp washer getting stuck in the open position sometimes.
• Doors sometimes don’t unlock if you pull on the door handle. Need to press the central unlocking button.
• Paint touch up around the rear-left entertainment screen (had chipped off in some areas).
• Driver headrest material had gone bad.
• BMW logo on the steering wheel had faded.
• Debadge the rear.

Enjoyed the 1 hour drive from Turbhe to home. Even in her 6th year, she’s a dream to drive!

I found the labour charges to be very fair for this class of car. 6 grand is for mounting + removing tyres & wheels TWICE and balancing + aligning them (they were originally painted in dark gunmetal grey which I didn’t like, so the entire process was repeated):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bill-1page001.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bill-1page002.jpg

Some of the parts are priced reasonably (oil filter for 1.1k), but some are exorbitant (25 grand for brake pads - premium car owners are part of a ripoff club!!). I could’ve gotten the same brake pads for 50% of the price outside, but I don’t want any outside work / parts on my car during the warranty. Warranty coverage is very dear to me:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bill-2page001.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bill-2page002.jpg

Old rims sold to a 530d owner at the workshop itself (that's his car). Original deal was at 25k, then knocked off 5k because he's a BHPian:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-z.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2019 at 11:45.
GTO is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 12:18   #1061
BHPian

Quote:

Also got the rear debadged . Any enthusiast who knows what a 530d is will identify it anyway (hint = reflectors are placed higher up on the bumper than the 520d). Those who don’t know will once I gun the accelerator .
Your car looks fabulous! I never realized reflectors are placed higher up in the 530d, but

Quote:
Old rims sold to a 530d owner at the workshop itself (that's his car).
His reflectors seem to be down below.
voldemort is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 12:40   #1062
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ready to roll on the new rims:
Attachment 1855311
Wow! It looks wow clean! Our own wax and polish expert would be impressed.
navin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 12:51   #1063
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldemort View Post
His reflectors seem to be down below.
Haha! Good catch. I guess only the M-Sport cars have it higher up. The older 530ds indeed have it lower down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
It looks wow clean!
Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2019 at 12:53.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 13:14   #1064
Team-BHP Support

Fab call on swapping the wheels!

The old ones were nice, but there's something very meaty about this new set that draws you towards it!

So you have effectively swapped your existing wheels for a new OE set, thereby retaining the OE look! I am a sucker for making subtle changes whilst retaining the OE look! Well done!
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 16:35   #1065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
*Annual Service Update*

I guess at the same time next year, I’ll be looking at a remap. Truth be told, the car is f-a-s-t in stock form itself. Just that, when any of my cars get 5 – 6 years old, I like to spice things up a bit with modifications as I retain cars for 9 - 10 years. So, a 300 BHP remap is next on the list.
Hey GTO - thanks for that comprehensive update. My 3 GT will also be out of warranty second half next year. Any ideas / suggestions on what mods I should consider if I plan to hold on for at least 3 more years? Never done any meaningful mods on any car before let alone a Beemer. Where would you get your remap from?

I was thinking a steering with paddle shifters for sure. Enabling sports mode on gear shift. What other more meaty mods could I make on the performance front?

I'll probably ping Akshay1234 for ideas too since he'll likely be the one I would call upon for some of this.

Cheers,
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed