Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:58   #1501
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
I have first hand experience of this on my 1KD Fortuner. Any EGR will get clogged over a period of time and fill up the intake manifolds. This significantly impacts the amount of air going into the engine. All turbo charged intercooled diesels have this problem no matter what the manufacturer says.

I typically clean it every 20K kms (50% bumper to bumper drive) and my 12 year ~160K kms 1KDFTV still happily revs to 4K rpm without damaging my ear drums.
Precisely why I have had the EGR blocked physically in the Diesels I have owned in the past. In 2016 in the first couple of months into the ownership of the Crysta a full EGR blank plate for 1GDFTV made from stainless steel using water-jet cutting and got that installed. The template for the blank plate was a partial (meaning a hole in center) EGR blank plate bought from ebay. I still may have a few blanking pieces left somewhere as I had made a few extra pieces.
Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 18:08   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viva View Post
Many thanks. I will get carbon cleaned.����

Thank you.

BMW Dealer is serving F10 from Day 1. They haven't adviced such carbon cleaning. I will specifically ask them by month end.

MOD NOTE : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here
Cleaning is relatively cheap.

replacing something that fails eventually due to the clogged up stuff is less labour intensive and also has better margins.

They'll try to talk you out of it. But if you have a good SA. And show him the pics from ImmortalZ, I'm sure they'll oblige.
viXit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 12:37   #1503
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Been having way too much fun with the 530d. Lots of usage around the city due to social events, and a couple of highway runs too.

Best place to park when exploring South Mumbai is Metro Cinema's lot. Dumped the car there, then went on to eat Bun Maska @ Kyani & Co, Cafe Mondegar (with jukebox!), CST station to admire its architecture, Marine Drive to watch the sunset...
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg

Nice click:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg

Tiger Point, on the way to Aamby Valley. Nothing like the combination of the Valley's winding roads + its view + onion pakoras + strong tea:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-5.jpg

The enhanced GC of the facelifted version means I never have to think twice before taking the Bimmer anywhere. It's been to the nooks & crannies of MH + Goa without issue:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-6.jpg

Full-manual mode is a lot of fun on such roads, although admittedly, only then. 99.99% of the time, I let the magical ZF-8 gearbox do the work, using the paddle shifters when required:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-7.jpg

No fun without interesting machines in your life! Parked the 5 at Manson's and took his beast out for a spin in Bandra:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-8.jpg

Enjoying live indies...
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-9.jpg

... at Back 2 Door 1:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-10.jpg

Charming Bombay during late nights. All the more so when it's festive season. The Sealink was done up in the Indian flag's colours:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-11.jpg

Bhabhi decked her up for Dussehra & did the Pooja:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-12.jpg

One of the best brunch places, Silver Beach Cafe @ Bandra:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-13.jpg

Went to Buvachi Misal to meet Viddy, Libran & the EQS (more info & pics at this link).
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-14.jpg

In terms of issues, the car has been super reliable and there's nothing noteworthy:

- Brake rotors need replacement (Viddy animatedly pointed this out to me, with his hands shaking and all).

- The washer fluid pipe had corroded. Had sent my car for detailing to Turtle Wax & they replaced it.

- Some 'parking brake failure' warning came up for a day and has since disappeared. Am guessing either a bad sensor or low voltage (Low voltage situations & weak batteries | The bane of German cars). Not seen it again.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2022 at 11:09.
GTO is offline   (84) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 10:48   #1504
BHPian

Lovely pictures GTO. Is that a Fireblade you're riding? Damn! Will catch up with you soon. Another Bombay trip appears to be imminent in the coming months.
mugen_pinaki27 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 11:23   #1505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Brake rotors need replacement (Viddy animatedly pointed this out to me, with his hands shaking and all).
LOL. Had good fun driving the 530D and following the EQS down lonavala ghats. The 530D feels damn good.

Its far more plush and cruiser than the 328i I have. The steering is not as manic and sharp and you can do long distances more relaxed.

The remap with extra horses and torque was superb but I had just driven the EQS before so the perception was skewed.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:03   #1506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Been having way too much fun with the 530d. Lots of usage around the city due to social events, and a couple of highway runs too.
Awesome car and awesome updates, GTO! The 530d never looks old. It still looks brand new and still looks fresh. A true timeless design.

Quote:
Brake rotors need replacement (Viddy animatedly pointed this out to me, with his hands shaking and all).
LOL. I can understand this because once he pointed the same in my car, but just by looking at the pictures of my car after a nice wash.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 11th October 2022 at 19:06.
Dr.AD is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 19:08   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
In a car that is otherwise crafted with very high quality materials, it's disappointing to see such poor quality rubber lining being used. I had commented earlier on this thread about the rubber beading of the rear windscreen becoming brittle & broken.
Went through this thread after a long time, 10 months to be precise. I think this problem existed in earlier generations too. A week ago, I noticed that the rubber lining of the front windscreen of my uncle's 2007 E60 523i had also become brittle and chipped out at the corners. The car mostly stays in a closed garage and has clocked only 41000 kms. on the odo.
TurboKat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:05   #1508
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
Is that a Fireblade you're riding?
Yep, that's Manson's scary-fast & timeless beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Its far more plush and cruiser than the 328i I have. The steering is not as manic and sharp and you can do long distances more relaxed.
Truly. More of a smaller 7-Series (which it is) than the 3-Series which is such a driver's car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Awesome car and awesome updates, GTO! The 530d never looks old. It still looks brand new and still looks fresh. A true timeless design.
Thanks!

Quote:
LOL. I can understand this because once he pointed the same in my car, but just by looking at the pictures of my car after a nice wash.
Giving Viddy a look at your car is like going for a comprehensive health checkup at the hospital . He will point out all that needs improvement. Much to the chagrin of OEMs, this skill extends to new cars.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th October 2022, 22:29   #1509
BHPian

Glad to see you having fun with the 530D GTO. It is such a sweet machine. Comfortable and luxurious on one hand and a sporty saloon on the other! I agree the ZF gear box is superb. My X1 has an Aisin gearbox and I find I need to use paddle shifters more often on that especially for down shifts where as the ZF in my 530d does it intuitively. Enjoy many more miles on this super sedan !!
XDriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 02:45   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice update!

Quote:
The enhanced GC of the facelifted version means I never have to think twice before taking the Bimmer anywhere. It's been to the nooks & crannies of MH + Goa without issue:
I could have sworn your car is black. What is this shade of blue I'm seeing re?

Quote:
No fun without interesting machines in your life! Parked the 5 at Manson's and took his beast out for a spin in Bandra:
Two of my regrets in life. I was happier not knowing what a liter bike can do. And meeting Manson also.

Quote:
Enjoying live indies...
Ey I need some recos for my next Bombay visit.

Quote:
What a nerd
FlyingSpur is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 08:49   #1511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
That's the specialty of the carbon black shade. Looks bluish under direct sunlight.
TurboKat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 12:37   #1512
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Nice update!
Thanks!

Quote:
As TurboKat said, blue shows only under sunlight. When I bought the car, I didn't like the colour at all and white / silver remain my top choices. That being said, this colour does age well and helps in making the car look fantastic even at the 9-year mark. M-Sport add-ons make her still feel contemporary. In comparison, pre-facelift (2010 - 2012) white or silver F10s do show their age.

Quote:
Ey I need some recos for my next Bombay visit.
Come and we'll go together! Live music scene has really picked up, especially in Bandra.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 21:17   #1513
BHPian

Quote:

1. Great call in replacing the timing chain

2. Equally good call in changing the transmission fluid of your ZF. BMW says its sealed for life, but that's rubbish. ZF itself recommends a complete change at the 7 year mark. I have also gotten it done some time back.

Update on my car. As it ages, some small niggles have started to crop up:

1. The fuel tank lid wouldn't lock, even after locking the car.

2. The washer reservoir (wiper) has a leak. I topped it up entirely, and a day later, again got the message that its empty.
Aren't we too soft on manufacturers of high end cars that are supposed to be of high quality?

The timing chain was invented specifically to solve the problem of timing belt that was prone to frequent failures.
A BMW costs many times that of a Toyota.
Yet it's critical parts are failing? Where is the quality?

I see the harsh comments being made on vehicles made by Indian manufacturers and we expect a world of quality from them and are quick to dismiss their efforts to make something good. We expect them to be 100% reliable, without niggles and at par in quality with foreign manufacturers from day 1.

When these foreign companies started manufacturing cars, their quality was abysmal.

Even now, looking at this discussion about a supposedly superior vehicle (no offense to the owners) there seems to be a lack of quality as critical parts, that are supposed to last a lifetime, are prone to failure.

Cars in India aren't driven to the limits of the vehicle as much as they are in foreign countries. Shouldn't these parts of foreign vehicles last longer in India as the engine would surely be quite over engineered and less stressed in India. Be it a BMW or a Range Rover (this vehicle is considered to be unreliable even in Europe).

So why do foreign manufacturers seem to be getting a free pass as compared to Indian manufacturers?

The aim is start a healthy and constructive discussion around quality of parts in imports vs local manufacturers and public perception around the same.
PowerSpike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 21:47   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSpike View Post
So why do foreign manufacturers seem to be getting a free pass as compared to Indian manufacturers?
Are they really getting a free pass? These cars cost 90+L OTR these days and 5-7 years later, cost as much as a Honda City to buy in the used market.

There will be no constructive discussion to start around why we buy them. There is very little financial sense in buying one. So what else is there? I for one bought it because nothing else drives like it, maintenance nightmares or not. Some things do go wrong. My car has had very expensive parts replaced under warranty even before the first oil change. But those parts are part of a very complicated whole beast, whose rear subframe alone has more engineering into it than an average city car designed in the 90s that we are force fed as "ALL NEW WHATEVER! 2022!". Elitist? Maybe. But try driving one.

Flipping the script, what does a Safari have to go for it other than a hallowed name plate? It is a 20+L front wheel drive hopped up hatch back. What does a Taigun or Kushaq have to go for it? Built to a price to exploit Indians' lust for "SUVs" and chrome. They shame the VW and Skoda badges they wear.

When there is a USP, they sell. Nexon EV f ex, or any of the umpteen Marutis. Similarly, 70+L C classes sell. And 90+L 5ers also sell.

If you are not looking for what these cars offer, they make no sense. For some people, they never will.

Last edited by ImmortalZ : 8th November 2022 at 21:52.
ImmortalZ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 22:41   #1515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSpike View Post
Cars in India aren't driven to the limits of the vehicle as much as they are in foreign countries. Shouldn't these parts of foreign vehicles last longer in India as the engine would surely be quite over engineered and less stressed in India. Be it a BMW or a Range Rover (this vehicle is considered to be unreliable even in Europe).
Nope. The reliability of engines won't be great in Indian driving conditions. Lot of factors like fuel quality, city driving conditions which involves lot of idling and bumper to bumper driving, higher dust levels, etc. Cars driven on good clean foreign highways even to its limits would be better than a car driven in Indian city

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th November 2022 at 22:42.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks