Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2015, 08:36   #226
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Why don't you buy a Laura 1.8 TSI? Meets all the requirements. It's a lovely car to buy used.

As long as you follow all the advice on Team-BHP, you don't need such a setup. With the right precautions, checks & audits, a pre-owned car can be as safe a purchase as a new car.
For a long time now, I have been reading a lot of threads on 'used car advice'. One major takeaway was that European cars like Audi, BMW, Skoda, etc have complex engineering and expensive after sales service. Unless one finds a very very good condition car, one should walk away. Also, the service standards of a brand like Skoda are very bad.
This made me tilt towards Toyotas and Hondas only. Japanese reliability and good service makes it easier.
Therefore, a Skoda (no matter how awesome the engine and car dynamics) is difficult because for common folk like me its near impossible to judge a good car or arrange for a good mechanic who will do that and then put up with complex issues during ownership.
Thats where I was coming from !
sjain2054 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 08:41   #227
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
I think this thread is a must read for all those associated with a 5-series - owners, dealers, sales persons, marketing guys etc. It just brings to light so many minute details which I'm sure most of them would have never known or ignored altogether.
Thanks S2!!!, and also for putting her through the full shoot .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
I have been inside these luxury sedans just once or twice in my life and always wanted to understand what are the thousand little things that go in a luxury sedans to deserve their price-tag. Reading this report took me a while, 8 days to be precise. But after going through it in detail, I now know all those 1000 little things that makes the 530d such a amazing car.
Thanks SDP! Let me know when you want to try the 6-cylinders out. WhatsApp me whenever you are in my neck of the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
For a long time now, I have been reading a lot of threads on 'used car advice'. One major takeaway was that European cars like Audi, BMW, Skoda, etc have complex engineering and expensive after sales service. Unless one finds a very very good condition car, one should walk away. Also, the service standards of a brand like Skoda are very bad.
This made me tilt towards Toyotas and Hondas only. Japanese reliability and good service makes it easier.
Agreed. Skodas can get troublesome and their service / parts availability sucks. If going the European route, look for a model with good reliability & available warranty. One car fits the bill = The VW Jetta 2.0 TDI 6-speed manual! Fast, practical & reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Just so we have a realistic benchmark on what these things should cost, what did your particular model cost you?
42 lakhs for this company-registered car.

Last edited by GTO : 9th September 2015 at 09:09.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 14:01   #228
Senior - BHPian

GTO, Brother, I read the review like 3 times, You just nailed it! Loved the attention to details, And must say a lovely choice, I was always a fan of 530d, It not only looks stunner but drives like a beast! I too was looking for a used 520d/530d, But since mom said a flat no to a used car, Ended getting a jetta, Probably my next upgrade would be a 6 cylinder rocket. Enjoy the beast, Thank you for posting such an amazingly detailed review.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 10:05   #229
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
GTO, Brother, I read the review like 3 times, You just nailed it! Loved the attention to details
Thanks!

Quote:
I too was looking for a used 520d/530d, But since mom said a flat no to a used car
The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Yeah, I know. Most people have a mental block against 'used cars'. That's until they actually see the kind of pre-worshipped cars that are available in the market. There have been a lot of converts in my circle after they've seen the condition of the cars I bring home.

If you want to change your Mom's mind, bring her to see the beast any time .
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 18:53   #230
RGK
Senior - BHPian

The below advt came in yesterday's TOI, Chennai edition. Just to understand the used car market in this luxury segment.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-wp_20150910_002.jpg  

RGK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 19:19   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I know. Most people have a mental block against 'used cars'. That's until they actually see the kind of pre-worshipped cars that are available in the market. There have been a lot of converts in my circle after they've seen the condition of the cars I bring home.

Totally agreed, Used car market these days are huge, And finding the best one is a task, I will surely trouble you a bit down the line when i plan to replace my jetta. Thanks again
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 19:41   #232
Senior - BHPian

I think the preowned or used market from the dealers are not even set with an oppurtunity to make profit in mind. The pre-owned market in us does better because of the package you buy the car for. For example my 2011 accord has better warranty coverage than a new 2014 accord when i got it. The peace of mind to own a pre owned is far higher and the prices are very competetive and good.

You get cars driven like 5000 miles in 3 years with mint condition at a price far more affordable.

In India, the dollar is not even converted but doubled and even used market is so high like the chart provided above that we as humans do think when you are paying that much, why cant i just get a newer vehicle which has better warranty coverage and protection.

The used market is untapped in India again due to lack of lease option creating that used market segment within dealership itself.

I rather lease a car and return it in 3 years than own one for 20 years and that requires change in mindset and ability to see the benefits of such ownership with zero maintenance, cheaper insurance and ability to keepmchanging cars as new models role out.

BMW with plants in India better start manufacturing cars and passing on the benefits to locals. Look at the 320D pricing for a used car. $40k is ridiculously priced. A new 320D costs lesser than that.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 20:30   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

This has been THE most fun to read review of my favorite 5 series Sedan, the delectable M5 is just a notch higher to me in terms of desirability. I used to drive a 535i in the UK back in the early 2000s and reading this thread just brought back old memories.

When I buy a 530D THIS is the thread I will use as a guide. THANK you GTO!
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 07:01   #234
BHPian

GTO

Nice car and aptly named. I have the 2015 535i which I bought in Feb '15, brand new out of the showroom though, I love the smell of new cars. I must say its a 300 BHP Bison, that just pulls ahead of all the multi wheel Volvo trucks here on the interstate. I could go from 75 mph to 100 mph in 4 seconds. Mine has 20 way power seats and a lot of other goodies including the trunk gesture sensor opener etc.

I will post some pictures soon. Another thing that I see missing in the Indian model is the SOS button on top, and the homelink Garage door openers.

Indian customers are seriously being shortchanged. Does yours have the kickdown switch in the gas pedal ?

The front lower bumper grille and the headlights have been modified a little bit. I chose the xenons instead of the LED lights, as I found the LEDs too bright and the light unusable because of excessive whiteness. The fog lights are pure LED though, and do a better job than HID fog lamps

See how the top of the light has an LED strip, and the side has an orange LED strip. It looks gorgeous in person..

Check out the controls for the Multi-Contour seats with 20 way adjustment. I find that the same seats are there in the Indian 7 series though. Also I am planning an upgrade next year if things go well. Torn between the 2016 All New 750i, Porsche Panamera, S-Class S550 and the Tesla P85D. Lets see how things go. Will post if I acquire any one of these. I did go to a high end invite only preview of the 7 series, and I must say that car is lovely. it will beat the S-class.

Since we attended the private unveiling, BMW sent me and wifey carbon fiber USB cables for Android and Iphone, as a gift. The entire cable and the pin etc, is made of carbon fiber, which is used a lot in the new 7 series. The wheels on my 535i are 18 inch. One thing the latest 2016 7 series has is a large color HUD. Yes it has been made 75% bigger, and full color.

Well I would like to share some of my experiences with my 535i. People consider the BMW to be a car that has great handling etc, and I do agree with those facts. However there is a limit to everything, and you cannot overcome the laws of physics. We pushed my car on a rainy day to 90 mph, and then took a 100 degree turn at around 70 mph. The car skidded and went to the next lane after completing the turn due to the rear wheels losing traction, and luckily there was none in the adjacent lane as it was a deserted road in a remote place, and that is the day I decided I will never push a RWD in bad weather.

My next car will be an AWD always, and remember a rainy day or a bad weather day is the worst time to push an RWD car to its limits. Drive safe. Sharing some pics of my Feb 2015 535i US Model.

Moderator's note: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your post within the 30 minute edit window to add/edit your posts. Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this... Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-angel-eyes.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw1.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw2.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw3.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw5.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw6.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw8.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmwseat.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw-cable.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmwinvite.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmwwheels.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw535.jpg  

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th September 2015 at 08:50. Reason: Please refer the note posted above.
sammycoolster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 12:45   #235
Team-BHP Support

well dynamics of a large market like USA are different , BMW is selling more cars in a month then what they sell in a Year here .
Quote:
Another thing that I see missing in the Indian model is the SOS button on top, and the homelink Garage door openers.
I believe SOS is useful when you subscribe to BMW assist - such services are not yet launched in India at this time . Garage opener - ? when was the last time you visited India - do you see any Garages here ?

Quote:
See how the top of the light has an LED strip, and the side has an orange LED strip. It looks gorgeous in person..
I think this is more due to regulatory requirements - like you will have one on bumper as well I am not entirely sure on this otherwise there is no reason why BMW will save on something like this but why are your lights different from what they give here - have a look on mine , not sure if your's are LED or not - so full marks to BMW India

Quote:
controls for the Multi-Contour seats with 20 way adjustment. I find that the same seats are there in the Indian 7 series though
Yes we don't have options for this configuration on CKD models which BMW assembles in India . This is standard on 7 series and 6 series and on X6 .

Quote:
Since we attended the private unveiling, BMW sent me and wifey carbon fiber USB cables for Android and Iphone, as a gift. The entire cable and the pin etc, is made of carbon fiber, which is used a lot in the new 7 series.
They are planning something similar here as well - don't know exact time frame but probably in next month or two - they called me to confirm address last week

Now what I see in Canada ( must be same in US as well ) most of these cars are offered with very little standard things to keep basic prices low - we need to add many packages to make these little worth wile , ofcourse as you go higher on model - many things becomes standard so for example 20 way adjustment seat can be standard on 535 but 528 will be with 14 way only .. enjoy your ride .
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screen-shot-20150911-12.49.16-pm.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th September 2015 at 12:54.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 17:47   #236
D C
BHPian

Quote:

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

That's so true. We were trying to find out a used AT hatch for a friend recently and checked out many options. Most of them didn't make the cut because they were not maintained well and were sold by agents. Also, the good ones didn't come with the required safety features - ABS & Airbags. After much effort, he finally bought an i20 AT with less than 10,000 KMs on the Odo. It looked and felt as good as new and anyone would buy that car for the price compared to a new AT.

What I felt is that buying a right pre-worshipped car, that satisfy a customer, takes a lot of time, effort and patience. You need to wait for the right machine. It is similar to renting an apartment. Some of them give you a positive warmth the moment you check it out and it increases each time you consider a new element!

I am very positive about buying a pre-worshipped car and it makes a lot of difference between a used car and a pre-worshipped car, IMO.

Last edited by D C : 11th September 2015 at 17:53.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 19:17   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Most people have a mental block against 'used cars'. That's until they actually see the kind of pre-worshipped cars that are available in the market. There have been a lot of converts in my circle after they've seen the condition of the cars I bring home.
I am one of those who have the mental block against the used cars.
When I was looking for a simple car to practise my driving skills, I was all for buying a used one, at less price, initially. I looked at used cars from very old Ford Icon to Ritz at various prices from 50K to 5L, with various dealers including TrueValue, HPromise etc.
One dealer even followed up with me rigourously for a 7 year old Santro that had 60K on odo, that had proper service records and serviced regularly at Hyundai service centres. Due to my own inexperience at such dealings, I didn't take any timely decision, so by default the car was sold to someone else.
There was a dealer who was showing an old Santro without battery (it must have been lying with him for about a year), another one with a M800 which had loose wires hanging all over.
Seeing all this, I directly went to a Maruti Suzuki dealer and booked an Alto 800 Lxi.

My mistake was I was looking at a fixed budget of 2L. I wasn't willing to spend more than that for a used car. I guess the good cars are found at little bigger budgets (say 3+ lakhs?), and we should only be looking at cars that are less than 4-5 years and has had single owner, for our own peace of mind. What do you say?
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 12:28   #238
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
The below advt came in yesterday's TOI, Chennai edition. Just to understand the used car market in this luxury segment.
Overpriced, but that is typical of the official channel. 48 lakhs is 5 lakhs too many for a 2013 530d.

Quote:
And finding the best one is a task
Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
What I felt is that buying a right pre-worshipped car, that satisfy a customer, takes a lot of time, effort and patience. You need to wait for the right machine.
That's a myth. It took me less than 2 months to find my 530d. I only stepped out like 3 times (or was it 4). This, for a niche car like the 530d. Give me a search for a popular model like an Altis or an i20 and I'll find you one in <2 weeks. 3 weeks tops.

So many people take more time & effort for a new car...especially the newly launched models with waiting periods.

Yes, the effort has to have laser-sharp focus and it helps being part of a big market like Mumbai (Delhi is even better). None of my pre-worshipped cars (1st-gen Vtec or Civic) took me more than 2 months to close.

Quote:
After much effort, he finally bought an i20 AT with less than 10,000 KMs on the Odo. It looked and felt as good as new and anyone would buy that car for the price compared to a new AT.
Sounds like my kind of pre-worshipped deal. Congrats to your friend!

Quote:
I am very positive about buying a pre-worshipped car and it makes a lot of difference between a used car and a pre-worshipped car, IMO.
Hope you join the pre-owned club soon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The used market is untapped in India again due to lack of lease option
It's definitely strange why leasing hasn't kicked off in India. Maybe an idea whose time hasn't yet come.

Every market / culture is unique though. Like in China, an overwhelming majority of cars are bought with cash (not loans). Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This has been THE most fun to read review of my favorite 5 series Sedan...When I buy a 530D THIS is the thread I will use as a guide. THANK you GTO!
Thank you R2D2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammycoolster View Post
I will post some pictures soon. Another thing that I see missing in the Indian model is the SOS button on top, and the homelink Garage door openers.
As Turbonator said, no need for this in India. I mainly have a problem with BMW removing the pure keyless entry, folding rear seat etc. in India.

Quote:
Well I would like to share some of my experiences with my 535i.
Lovely car Sammy. Congratulations!

I was just checking what diesels BMW offers with the 5-Series in the USA. They actually sell the India-spec 530d engine as the 535d in the USA!! In other markets, the 535d has twin turbos and 300+ horses.

Quote:
See how the top of the light has an LED strip, and the side has an orange LED strip.
I honestly didn't like that headlamp setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
My mistake was I was looking at a fixed budget of 2L. I wasn't willing to spend more than that for a used car. I guess the good cars are found at little bigger budgets (say 3+ lakhs?), and we should only be looking at cars that are less than 4-5 years and has had single owner, for our own peace of mind. What do you say?
I would say the right budget for a used car depends on your choice of car. That's where it really starts. If you are looking for an example in pristine condition, expect to spend between 50 - 60% of the new car's price. As an example, if I were looking for a pre-worshipped Jetta, my budget would be in the 10 - 12 lakh range for a top-notch piece.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 13:27   #239
D C
BHPian

Quote:
That's a myth. It took me less than 2 months to find my 530d. I only stepped out like 3 times (or was it 4). This, for a niche car like the 530d. Give me a search for a popular model like an Altis or an i20 and I'll find you one in <2 weeks. 3 weeks tops.

Yes, the effort has to have laser-sharp focus and it helps being part of a big market like Mumbai (Delhi is even better). None of my pre-worshipped cars (1st-gen Vtec or Civic) took me more than 2 months to close.
Perhaps, there was considerable effort for us because of the requirements. We did find it in about 2 months, however, we checked out more than 10 cars. There were not much of AT available for < 5 Lakhs that comes with ABS/Airbags in Chennai

Quote:
Sounds like my kind of pre-worshipped deal. Congrats to your friend!
Thanks!

Btw, Congratulations on your beast and thanks a lot for sharing a detailed review with us. 530d is by far the design l like the most on BMW sedans.

Quote:
Hope you join the pre-owned club soon .
Seriously considering an upgrade to an AT this year, or getting an AT hatch Will likely be a pre-worshipped car as the new ones are seriously overpriced, IMO.
D C is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2015, 16:14   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GTO, Brother, I read the review like 3 times,
I've actually done better than that. I have a PDF copy of this as well as 525D & 530D reviews written earlier. I read all 3 daily trying to make a list of all the pro's and cons of both the models as well as the 520D.

Quote:
Give me a search for a popular model like an Altis or an i20 and I'll find you one in <2 weeks. 3 weeks tops.
Is this offer available for 520D's / 525D's too?

Jokes apart, I have been doing searches on olx and quikr and getting a lot of good examples in Delhi and Mumbai.

Quote:
Yes, the effort has to have laser-sharp focus and it helps being part of a big market like Mumbai (Delhi is even better).
Eaxctly. I have narrowed my search to Delhi & Mumbai.
I am reading this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html
and trying to compile a "Searching, Buying and PDI Checklist" of my own to help me when I go out looking.

Quote:
Hope you join the pre-owned club soon
I hope to join this club too. Though I have bought 3 used cars in the past. My Fiat Petra in Goa and an Audi 80 and a Ford Escort when I was studying in UK. Unfortunately I hadn't read any threads like this.

Quote:
I mainly have a problem with BMW removing the pure keyless entry, folding rear seat etc. in India.
Maybe someone has done a retrofit here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/
I need to search.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed