Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2015, 12:04   #316
BHPian

Re: Pre loved BMW 5 series - Help me buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
You can start by looking at few in the BMW Pre-owned selection, they do offer warranty for their cars, although they're expensive than market price. Showroom cars are usually sold to make way for new ones. Audi delhi south also had one 5-series for sale under audi approved, they shall be ready to let it go at good price, with some negotiation.

Have you already made up your mind about the 5-series or you are okay with some other 6-cylinder options. I've a known selling his 2011 E350d, done 45k kms. Clean car, mostly chauffeur driven in the city, DL registered.
Spoke with Audi approved, they have one car available, and BMW at Ambience Mall has a few. Going there tomorrow or today to check them out!
Old 13th November 2015, 12:23   #317
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's good to see BMW's condition-based service intervals working as intended. What is it? Basically, BMWs don't have a fixed service interval (e.g. 1 year / 10,000 kms). Rather, based on your driving style & conditions, the system calculates when the car needs a service.

Benefit? Service your car when it's required (not before).

Playing devils advocate here but is this somewhat convenient coming from a manufacturer where many people opt for prepaid service through BSI? In effect their servicing requirement would be lower because of these aspects.

Conversely, for manufacturers who don't offer BSI like services (take even a honda for instance), their 3 months or 5000 kms policy is simply ridiculous and a needless 4 times a year cash drain.
Don't follow it and you could at least theoretically risk an argument on warranty issues for not following service schedule.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 18:38   #318
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Just FYI BMW has quietly reduced the starting interval for the CBS. Earlier when reset it used to show 15,000 kms, and then it was reduced to 12,000kms and now 10,000kms.

They have also reduced their service intervals in other places like the US too.
Akshay1234 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 18:56   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Just FYI BMW has quietly reduced the starting interval for the CBS. Earlier when reset it used to show 15,000 kms, and then it was reduced to 12,000kms and now 10,000kms.
Is it really true? When i bought my 320D, it was showing 12,000 kms for oil change but after completing 2,000 kms, the CBS has dropped further estimating next service within 9,000 kms. I feel 10,000 kms service interval is apt for our roads, the poor city conditions and tropical climate would take a toll on the engine oil past 10k kms.

If CBS is dropped to 10k kms, it is an advantage for those with BSI but disadvantage for the ones without BSI.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 20:12   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's good to see BMW's condition-based service intervals working as intended. What is it? Basically, BMWs don't have a fixed service interval (e.g. 1 year / 10,000 kms). Rather, based on your driving style & conditions, the system calculates when the car needs a service.
That's a cool feature. Is this a BMW specific thing or standard in the segment? Hope it trickles down to the mass market segments at some point.

VW has the 1 year 15k service interval. Given our conditions I kind of felt it is too long. I did my 2nd service after 10 months and 11k km just out of a gut feel. I mean, it was running fine but somehow was not comfortable. Such a system would have been nice.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 11:42   #321
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Playing devils advocate here but is this somewhat convenient coming from a manufacturer where many people opt for prepaid service through BSI? In effect their servicing requirement would be lower because of these aspects.
Much less than half of BMW India owners choose the BSI package. So, in effect, longer service intervals are benefiting owners more than BMW.

And those who do opt for BSI are the ones with healthy running.

The condition based service helps guys like me who drive multiple cars & thus, have low running on each individual car. I don't have to compulsorily take my 530d to the workshop once a year.

Quote:
Conversely, for manufacturers who don't offer BSI like services (take even a honda for instance), their 3 months or 5000 kms policy is simply ridiculous
Note that Honda doesn't have a 3 month service policy. It's a scam among Honda dealers who keep calling your car in. Refer only to the recommended intervals in your owner's manual & tell the persistent dealer to take a hike.

Quote:
Personally, as I've posted on various threads on the forum, I don't believe in 15,000 km service intervals. That's simply too long, especially for the high-stress driving conditions here.

I only use synthetic oil in my rides and prefer oil changes anywhere between 7,500 - 10,000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Is this a BMW specific thing or standard in the segment?
Haven't heard of any other brand offering this.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2015, 13:14   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And those who do opt for BSI are the ones with healthy running.
Oops. Understood though. I always felt majority must be opting for BSI.

I seem to be in the absolute minority who took 5 year BSI with 60,000 kms since my running will also be spread over 2 cars at least (possibly a little to a third as well). I still feel it is worth it to have that peace of mind though.

Quote:
Note that Honda doesn't have a 3 month service policy. It's a scam among Honda dealers who keep calling your car in. Refer only to the recommended intervals in your owner's manual & tell the persistent dealer to take a hike.
This is interesting. I'm personally quite disillusioned with Honda service as well as parts reliability. Despite being a pretty careful driver, my power window (up/down) motor has failed more than once requiring expensive replacements. And even on the service cost, I find it quite exorbitant. My pal bought a Corolla Altis same time as my Civic and his service bills throughout the first 5 years were consistently much lower than my Civic service bills.

Now that my car is more than 6 years old, I've actually started (recently) sending it to Jaya Auto Mahalakshmi for routine maintenance as well as minor D&P jobs. MUCH cheaper compared to Honda A.S.S.

Quote:
I only use synthetic oil in my rides and prefer oil changes anywhere between 7,500 - 10,000 kms.
Given that I have 5 year BSI etc on my Beemer, can I still request Navnit to put synthetic oil? Do they do this within BSI, charge only the difference perhaps or charge the full amount?

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th November 2015 at 13:15.
Old 14th November 2015, 14:06   #323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Given that I have 5 year BSI etc on my Beemer, can I still request Navnit to put synthetic oil? Do they do this within BSI, charge only the difference perhaps or charge the full amount?
The oil used by BMW is synthetic, made my Shell.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 08:12   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Blank metal plate? How does that look? How about some pics of your ride?
I haven't had time to take too many pictures but here are two that I had clicked when the car was just a few days old.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-dsc03830-copy-copy.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-dsc03839-copy-copy.jpg
aah78 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 20:02   #325
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
I haven't had time to take too many pictures but here are two that I had clicked when the car was just a few days old.
Your car looks absolutely drool worthy. Bet that V8 petrol is silky smooth, even at the redline. Love the rims too.

Quote:
The oil used by BMW is synthetic, made my Shell.
Shell Helix Ultra?

Must say, these cars sure don't drink oil. Despite some hard acceleration & high-revving, my onboard readout still shows the oil level as full.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 20:23   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shell Helix Ultra?

Must say, these cars sure don't drink oil. Despite some hard acceleration & high-revving, my onboard readout still shows the oil level as full.
Not sure which exactly it is, because its in BMW packaging. It is 5w30, and most likely Shell Helix Ultra ECT (or something of that sort). Not available off the shelf here in India.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2015, 12:53   #327
BHPian

So my hunt for a 5 stands as follows (I didn't drive most of these cars, will get to that in a moment):

a. Audi Approved: I started with the Audi showroom at Delhi South (Thanks to the tip off by VSD). They have 1 car available:

Model: 520D, 2.0 TDI
Kms: 30,000
Year: 2012 May
Colour: Black
Interior: Brown (the sexy one)

Likes: It is a beautiful car with really clean interiors. Looks rather well driven and maintained, has a fresh car feel to it.
Concerns: It has been standing at the showroom since last December, that seemed strange to me.
Dislikes: It's not a 530D.

b. Deutsche Motoren: Went to the Faridabad showroom, they have the following available:
7 Series : 2 750s
530D: 1
520D: 1
520D: 1

I spoke to the BPS manager (helpful guy) there about 530D, the car specs are:
Model: 530D
Kms: 50,000
Year: 2010 Last Quarter
Colour: Havana Brown
Interior: Beige

Concerns: It's pretty old and it shows, however the BPS guy said that they'll get it repainted completely and do up the interiors as well, i don't know how that will turn out, is it a good idea?
Cons: It looks like a car driven rough (don't really blame them because 530D) , and Kar-O-Bar seemed like a daily do in it; the colour was really faded and looked bad.

c. Bird Automotive: The best showroom so far, really sexy cars:
SUVs: a bunch of them, didn't bother to see any, although i should've, would've been able to write it down here.
1: 530D M, unregistered, 2015, 10,000 km, test drive car. MINT condition. If only i wanted to spend 45 lakhs.
2: 2 520Ds: 2014/15, mint cars, no thought in buying except if you don't want to spend.
3: 520D: 2012, 50,000 kms(?), car was standing on the roof (I need to understand sun and paint, please point me to the right place)

Pros: No brain decision, ok car ok pricing.
Cons: Not exciting, Havana colour, not a 530D.

Maybe as a last resort?

d. Gurgaon Car dealers:
My resourceful chauffeur had gotten touch with some mechanic who pointed him to some car dealers in Supermart II market in Gurgaon. a few car dealers were there. No new 5 series.

e. Mr. Cars: This guy called us at 2:00 PM to show us a 525D 2013, we reached, he said the car will take some time, if you have any other work go ahead do it and come back, blah blah. I left since the company had no respect for a basic commitment like time. Plus i don't like sales-boys with a neck tattoo, leading a team with dead soulless eyes.

f. Vikas Puri: Holy ****, this place had a hundred dealers. Thousands of cars. We were called there by Mr. Diwan cars (i typed my number in carwale.com, never making the mistake again). They had a 525D 2011, looked like a Kar-O-Bar, even had last night's Chakhna in it. 80,000kms on the ODO. We left VikasPuri.

g. Sarojini Market: Drive by, no stops.

h. Khan Market: No cigar (literally, even Kastros has shut shop there).

i. Defence colony flyover market: Uninspiring dealers. Stopping was a mistake.

j. First Choice, Zamrudpur: Nothing.

k: Auto Advisor:
This company is in GK1, Sanjay market, the guy Pnackaj is pretty good. Friendly, warm, not "leech-y". Seems like a guy you can trust. Plus he has a 530D White 2011 December 37k ODO. It was dark by the time we reached so asked him to get more cars on board and let me know by the weekend. So hopefully will have a few options.

TL;DR: All in all, current options, without the ones i am seeing later this week:

1. 530D old, haggared but comes with the promise of getting repaired and repainted.
2. 520D only moved for 2.5 years, low on ODO, looks great, and gorgeous interiors, just not a 530D, and suspiciously long standing time.

What do i do?
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_4746.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_4751.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_4737.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_4756.jpg  

sidzler15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 09:26   #328
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If the Deutsche Motoren' car is showing its age, don't consider it. These cars actually age very well and if it was carefully kept, it wouldn't feel old. Clearly seems abused.

The car that you should be checking out ASAP is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzler15 View Post
Seems like a guy you can trust. Plus he has a 530D White 2011 December 37k ODO. It was dark by the time we reached so asked him to get more cars on board and let me know by the weekend. So hopefully will have a few options.
Don't wait for more cars onboard. You only have to buy one. Go take a look at her during the day.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 09:56   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This company is in GK1, Sanjay market, the guy Pnackaj is pretty good. Friendly, warm, not "leech-y
Quote:
Plus he has a 530D White 2011 December 37k ODO
Oh Man , you are indeed desperate for 530 , wish you had picked mine last month , well don't take these guys on face value - i have had bad experiences with some of most soft spoken guys here in NCR . will suggest you to be little patient ,you will surely get an opportunity . Dec 2011 white with 37 K looks good but you need to be absolutely sure on the ODO/ Service records - again - try to find ones which have some BSI package & warranty left , I will also ask some of my contacts to try to find something , if i get anything will surely let you know - happy surfing ..
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2015, 17:25   #330
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzler15 View Post
So my hunt for a 5 stands as follows (I didn't drive most of these cars, will get to that in a moment):

a. Audi Approved: I started with the Audi showroom at Delhi South (Thanks to the tip off by VSD). They have 1 car available:

Model: 520D, 2.0 TDI
Kms: 30,000
Year: 2012 May
Colour: Black
Interior: Brown (the sexy one)

Likes: It is a beautiful car with really clean interiors. Looks rather well driven and maintained, has a fresh car feel to it.
Concerns: It has been standing at the showroom since last December, that seemed strange to me.
Dislikes: It's not a 530D.
This car has been with them because the previous owner upgraded to an Audi in exchange and they mostly push for their own cars first and not this. Plus they might have offered good exchange rates and cannot go too low on their offered price. Still, their cars are parked indoors and kept safely, so this could be an option, but like you said, it isn't 530.

Deutsche Fbd had the jet black 530d two weeks back, maybe it got sold. It was a clean looking car and had low miles on the odo.
My advice will also be to remain patient and look for a clean car and not get carried away with excitement. Pre-owned is the way to go but you have to take you own sweet time and get the best deal.

Also, what budget are you keeping in mind, will keep a lookout for any car that you may like. My cousins E350d has clocked 45k kms and is 2011 model that came with rear-ent. and the lot. He's asking for 31L, full service record available too. Let me know if you are interested, car is located in GK-1.

Last edited by VSD : 17th November 2015 at 17:39.
VSD is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks