Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 12:00   #526
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

You might want to check the pollen filter. The seal might not have been fitted properly hence alowing the leak
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:16   #527
BHPian

Most of these scenarios happen when the car has been in small accidents which needed denting work and the denter leaves out some small crevice like a chink in the armour and that causes these mysterious leaks. Have seen some cases like these though not in a beemer....
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:20   #528
BHPian

The dreaded thing has happened with my 530d as well. Today i took my car out for a drive and ac was not cooling at all. I could hear faint yet noticeable hissing sound from the air vents. I straightaway took the car to a bmw workshop where they suspect that there might be a leak in evaporator coil. They said that it would have to be replaced under warranty.

For the above repairs they will have to dismantle the entire dashboard to take the ac unit out and replace the coil. They are quoting 3-4 days for the entire job. I'm really worried about the quality of workmanship and whether the workshop would be able to fit in back the entire assembly as good as it came from the factory :-(

I have hardly covered 7.5K kms in this car and this definitely is a premature failure. I'm already under all sorts of mental trouble due to this. My main concern is whether the workshop would be able to do a quality job of such complex process.

Indeed a bad week for our 530ds.
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 18:37   #529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
took the car to a bmw workshop where they suspect that there might be a leak in evaporator coil
Have you hit anything ? It will be too early for something to leak. Tell them to first add gas and they have some coloured yellow dye which helps identify exact spot. Once leakage is confirmed, you can take a call. If you have to leave car, better drop when they have required parts with them.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 19:23   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Have you hit anything ? It will be too early for something to leak. Tell them to first add gas and they have some coloured yellow dye which helps identify exact spot. Once leakage is confirmed, you can take a call. If you have to leave car, better drop when they have required parts with them.
No i did not hit anything as far as i can remember and I'm the only one who drives this car.

With my little knowledge i thing evaporator coil can't be damaged this way?

Bmw workshop did say that they will take one day to investigate the issue and if it turns out to the evaporator coil then it would further take 3 days atleast. They did confirm that they have evaporator coil in stock.

Hope I'm not hijacking your thread GTO!
Old 13th August 2016, 20:14   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
The dreaded thing has happened with my 530d as well. Today i took my car out for a drive and ac was not cooling at all. I could hear faint yet noticeable hissing sound from the air vents.

They said that it would have to be replaced under warranty.

For the above repairs they will have to dismantle the entire dashboard to take the ac unit out and replace the coil. They are quoting 3-4 days for the entire job.

I have hardly covered 7.5K kms in this car and this definitely is a premature failure.
Yes, given the mileage you have on the car, it would certainly be very premature a failure if it indeed is the evaporator core. But I highly doubt it would be so, because if you're talking bmw levels of quality, its extremely unlikely that such a component would fail this early in its lifespan. This looks like a gas leak though, what with the hissing and all.

The whole Ac system of a bmw would easily alone cost a couple of lacs. That speaks a lot about what you can expect. Just like the rest of the car.Why, even Maruti type evaporator cores last for many years.

But yes, if these guys have predicted it, maybe they know their own weaknesses better. It a matter of minutes usually to pinpoint the cause of a gas leak as the gas has a pigment/dye in it which they detect with a sensor to ascertain the point of gas leak. If it is a gas leak, that is.

Anyways, best is to wait for the actual diagnosis. Hopefully you don't have to get your dashboard played around with. :(
pixantz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 21:24   #532
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With my little knowledge i thing evaporator coil can't be damaged this way?
No, I am referring to the condenser that might have got a hit, this can get damaged even from a flying stone. But ask them to be double sure before they open interiors. Ideally, they should fill the gas first with the coloured dye before opening all that stuff unless they are 100 % aware of the problem. Not only will they pull up dash but some pipe lining's & other stuff from the engine bay so it's indeed going to be a major work. If you travel to Chandigarh for your work or can go sometime, will definitely suggest you get a second opinion.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th August 2016 at 21:29.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2016, 22:02   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Yes, given the mileage you have on the car, it would certainly be very premature a failure if it indeed is the evaporator core. But I highly doubt it would be so, because if you're talking bmw levels of quality, its extremely unlikely that such a component would fail this early in its lifespan. This looks like a gas leak though, what with the hissing and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
No, I am referring to the condenser that might have got a hit, this can get damaged even from a flying stone. But ask them to be double sure before they open interiors. Ideally, they should fill the gas first with the coloured dye before opening all that stuff unless they are 100 % aware of the problem. Not only will they pull up dash but some pipe lining's & other stuff from the engine bay so it's indeed going to be a major work. If you travel to Chandigarh for your work or can go sometime, will definitely suggest you get a second opinion.
Thanks folks for your detailed advice.

Even i'm hoping that it turns out to be a small case of gas leakage or some other minor issue. German cars are suppose to be over engineered and even i will be extremely surprised if it indeed turns out to be a mechanical leak inside the evaporator coil.

But even if it is a simple case of gas leak, there has to be a proper cause for it, which again would have to be addressed.

@Turbanator...lets say if condenser indeed turns to be the culprit due to stone damage, would bmw honour the warranty in that case? This is something which bothers me at the moment.

I will give a go ahead to bmw to dismantle the dashboard only once they confirm me the exact cause of the issue after proper analysis of the problem is done by them.

My independence day weekend is already ruined! :-(

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th August 2016 at 12:07. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 13th August 2016, 22:41   #534
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
lets say if condenser indeed turns to be the culprit due to stone damage, would bmw honour the warranty in that case?
Should be, else you will have insurance. but it will be premature to arrive at any conclusion or even spoil your weekend. These are machines which are driven on roads and can go wrong due to varying reasons. Just tell them to fill gas with dye and depending on the leak, you can take a call.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2016, 19:58   #535
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO. I read your entire review recently and was amazed at attention to detail. Its like a manual with lots of information.

Your car looks like a brand new one. Congrats on getting a well maintained beast and your review has inspired me to look for a pre worshipped BMW upon my return. It looks like I should be able to get a 320D for 20 to 25L INR.

Is extended warranty of 6 years valid from date of first sale or from date when you availed it?
djay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 11:34   #536
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Navnit Motors @ Andheri. Talk to Laukik out there - he's awesome.
Apparently Laukik has left Navnit BMW. Would you recommend speaking to anyone else in particular there in his absence? My car will go in for its first service in a couple of months but just want to know in advance where's the best place to take it.

Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 11:12   #537
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The LHS drain channel under the front windscreen can sometimes cause cabin leakage, esp in heavy rains.

The outlet (which usually drains somewhere behind the front quarter panel) gets clogged over a period of time due to assorted grime/leaves/twigs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The water ingress i am told is from the windshield cowl area (passenger side) and as per the technical head there
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
More than the door or sunroof channel , I believe the seepage may be through the area below the windshield.
Thanks guys! I'm not putting the car cover in the monsoon, hence that area does get full with leaves, twigs & junk. Remember cleaning it a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
More than anything what worries me is the electronics below the seat!
AFAIK, at the floor level, there's only the subwoofer. Will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strella View Post
On a lighter note, first you have to be careful of the hydrostatic lock, you have to watch out for the run flats and now this.
Undoubtedly, with these cars, you have to be extremely careful.

Quote:
It is reassuring to have warranty on your side, but what if somebody did not have the extended warranty. Besides the financial implications it becomes greatly inconvenient to send/ drop the car at the dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
The best part is that GTO's got the 6 year warranty with him handy. So he doesn't have to worry about anything even if it goes kaput.
Buying a used European without warranty is akin to cutting the branch you're sitting on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You might want to check the pollen filter. The seal might not have been fitted properly hence alowing the leak
Thanks! Will do.

Quote:
Most of these scenarios happen when the car has been in small accidents which needed denting work and the denter leaves out some small crevice like a chink in the armour and that causes these mysterious leaks.
No such damage on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
The dreaded thing has happened with my 530d as well. Today i took my car out for a drive and ac was not cooling at all. I could hear faint yet noticeable hissing sound from the air vents.
Hissing sound = leak. Any update on the culprit?

Quote:
Yes, given the mileage you have on the car, it would certainly be very premature a failure if it indeed is the evaporator core.
Mercedes evaporators, in particular, are awful. There was a time when the C-Class (including my C220) and E-Class needed a new evaporator every two years. Auto Hangar themselves used to joke that 'these cars need a new evaporator with every 2nd oil change".

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Hi GTO. I read your entire review recently and was amazed at attention to detail. Its like a manual with lots of information.
Thanks!

Quote:
It looks like I should be able to get a 320D for 20 to 25L INR.
That's a very healthy budget. You'll easily get a low mileage car under warranty for that. Be sure to take the extended warranty.

Quote:
Is extended warranty of 6 years valid from date of first sale or from date when you availed it?
From date of first sale (always the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Apparently Laukik has left Navnit BMW. Would you recommend speaking to anyone else in particular there in his absence?
Very saddened that Laukik left Navnit, but hey, he's with Renault (the company) now, so good for his career .

No experience with the new guys yet. Let me try them out a couple of times before putting up a recommendation.

All I can tell you is, stick to Navnit. Infinity - especially the Worli outlet - are horrible.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 13:32   #538
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Apparently Laukik has left Navnit BMW. Would you recommend speaking to anyone else in particular there in his absence? My car will go in for its first service in a couple of months but just want to know in advance where's the best place to take it.

Thanks
Ask for Abhishek or Rajdeep. Experienced guys at Navnit.
Abhishek was my service advisor for the 3 when i took it for service last week. Knowledgeable guy and top notch customer service.
bhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2016, 11:34   #539
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Damn, it's going to take 3 - 4 days just to dry out the car completely.

Prima facie, the culprit appears to be a dummy plug. BMW thinks it might be the LHD / RHD dummy plug. But full testing will take long.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2016, 15:08   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hissing sound = leak. Any update on the culprit?

Mercedes evaporators, in particular, are awful. There was a time when the C-Class (including my C220) and E-Class needed a new evaporator every two years. Auto Hangar themselves used to joke that 'these cars need a new evaporator with every 2nd oil change".
I have fixed an appointment with Bird Automotive, gurgaon for monday morning. Lets see how it goes. I would press them to throughly investigate the problem and take my consent before attempting for any sort of repair.

Im just praying to god that whatever is the resolution, it just shouldn't involve taking out the dash!

Will keep you all posted!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks