Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2017, 13:24   #691
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you re-fuel for the return journey?
Yes, filled up in proper Goa itself at pumps known to a local friend of ours. Filled up twice as we drove like 500 km within Goa!

Quote:
Going by the pictures and the below, I assume you stayed somewhere in Majorda
Half the time in South, the other half in North.

Quote:
If you are in South Goa on a Thursday drop in to Firefly for some good Karaoke by Emmanuel. The owner of the place raced in the VW Cup one season.
Next time for sure . Loved the singer at Mike's Place. Next night we were out, caught the same dude at Fisherman's Wharf.

Quote:
Besides being very good, they are more VFM than Dominos.
Man, the two are incomparable. That owner / uncle at Titas was just superb. Just thinking of the pizza is getting me hungry all over again.

Quote:
Though I have not experienced the service, most customers are quite satisfied with Bavaria Motors for service. They have a dealership in Pune too. Why don't you try it out.
Pune is too far for regular servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvenant View Post
This near the Agonda beach right? I was stuck at the exact same place in my last trip in April in my Little Figo. Had to reverse and take a U-turn.
Yep, Agonda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Shows a true BHPian...your safe parking spots had a coconut tree
Now look who's a true BHPian! In my entire post, you noticed the coconut tree above my parking spot .

Last edited by GTO : 18th May 2017 at 13:26.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 13:40   #692
BHPian

Great write up and a couple of sweet videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you see a lot of 530ds ditching the staggered setup & running on 245 mm tubeless tyres all around, it’s because of the cost. 245 mm tubeless will be less than half the cost and it’s actually not a bad option for someone with high running.
Had some queries regarding this-

1. Can't one run staggered set up with tubeless tyres?

2. Provided that run flats are harder than tubeless wouldn't it be better to run on tubeless, apart from the financial benefit that is!
IN07KL0484 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:27   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1639695

Google Maps – LOL! Don’t trust it blindly. Had to make a U-turn and backtrack our path quite a bit to get around this bridge:
Attachment 1639696
Was this in Agonda towards Chapora fort? Google Map suggested me the same road during the trip to India last December, and I could cross this bridge in my Punto after seeing a local Swift taxi make it to the other end.
sooraj.naik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 14:46   #694
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Google Maps – LOL! Don’t trust it blindly. Had to make a U-turn and backtrack our path quite a bit to get around this bridge:
Attachment 1639696
I think Google Maps also led you & me to this exact same spot during the Celerio test drive in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooraj.naik View Post
... I could cross this bridge in my Punto after seeing a local Swift taxi make it to the other end.
Hmmm. Can't remember what we did.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 15:04   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Just completed 2 years with the car & what better way to celebrate than a road-trip to Goa
Nice way to celebrate the anniversary. A tip to Goa is always the best, road trip, awww !

Quote:
Nothing quite like spicy misal pav + black coffee + a Marlboro for breakfast:
Spicy pav + black cofee OK, not Marlboro. As heavy smoke indicates a unhealthy engine, smoke from mouth too. Time to call it quits
LoneRidder is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 16:12   #696
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN07KL0484 View Post
Can't one run staggered set up with tubeless tyres?
You certainly can, but 275/40 R18 tubeless tyres aren't available with any tyre shop due to their unique size. One can easily get 245s though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooraj.naik View Post
Was this in Agonda towards Chapora fort?
Close to Agonda, yes. Don't know about the fort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I think Google Maps also led you & me to this exact same spot during the Celerio test drive in 2014
Oh yeah? Good we didn't take Peter's car over this bridge .

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Spicy pav + black cofee OK, not Marlboro. As heavy smoke indicates a unhealthy engine, smoke from mouth too. Time to call it quits
Yes sir.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:47   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While we had coffee & pakoras, the 530d was idling its turbo. Immediately switching the engine off after a long run is a big no-no (related thread):
Wanted to ask this question to some expert for long time now.

I have purchased Ertiga Diesel last Diwali. It has SHVS technology. As everyone says you need to do idling for 1-2 minutes for diesel turbo engine after long, spirited drive. Here problem starts ..

When you stop after long drive and gets into neutral gear, car engine stops. As soon as you touch clutch, it starts again. So its very difficult to keep it in idling mode. Yes, you have switch for that so that it will not go in that mode, but every time you restart car its turned off again. Hope this (not idling the engine after long drives) will not do any harm to the engine.

Any thoughts from experts?
aniketi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 17:50   #698
Team-BHP Support

Great little update / travelogue. Goa must have been a blast! Usually on tips like these, it's the journey and not the destination!

Good stuff, Rush!

After reading your extensive report, I have fallen in love with the 530d and I find myself looking out for / noticing them more on our roads. There's one chap down the road from where I stay who has one of these, and I always make it a point to peer through the wooden gate to get a glance of it.

What I really like about it is the unassuming nature of the car. It's a pure sleeper! Unless you notice the larger wheels / super-subtle body-kit / the badge, there's no way of telling this apart from a regular 520d. No one would ever know!

P.S. I will be celebrating my Polo's 2 year anniversary in a few days. Driving to Sakleshpur. Hopefully, will have the time to pen down my holiday.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 18:15   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Just thinking of the pizza is getting me hungry all over again.
I'm the only person I know who loves Goa for, more than anything else, the food. Aside from the few obvious ones, I've found a few hidden gems around that call me out every once in a while. I personally haven't had a better meal in India than I've had at Blue Bird, this little unassuming place at Mini Vagator, with its owner personally purchasing every single ingredient and preparing the absolute best of anything on the menu. OMG, mouth watering now, haha.

While inside Goa, I wouldn't take my car around, ever. Zipping around on those scootys is just so much fun. My guy specially gets a Vespa for me everytime

Also, great write up, man. It is a testament that even though I'd never consider owning this car, your write ups make me want to go and atleast get a drive in.

Last edited by ach1lles : 18th May 2017 at 18:19. Reason: addition
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 19:30   #700
Senior - BHPian

Amazing report man, Just makes me want to pick up the keys & leave for Goa right away! (Perhaps in Monsoon i could pull it off) Goa is still secondary, I feel the drive till there & back would have been special, Just like your example between the Jeep & a bikini with long legs, We Team-Bhpian's are quite different aren't we? I have already clocked 4,500 kms in 2 months with my monster & man i could almost just smell how much fun you would have had while driving her, Looking forward to take her for a 1,500 kms trip probably by next week!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2017, 21:05   #701
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As her anniversary treat, the 530d has gone to Pervez @ Mazda Motors for removing all the usual Bombay nicks & dents, and also exterior / interior detailing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
It has SHVS technology. As everyone says you need to do idling for 1-2 minutes for diesel turbo engine after long, spirited drive.
Even the 530d has that annoying idle start-stop system which I've switched off. Not the engine, but it will most definitely affect the turbo's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Unless you notice the larger wheels / super-subtle body-kit / the badge, there's no way of telling this apart from a regular 520d. No one would ever know!
And the (pleasant) lack of chrome .

Quote:
I will be celebrating my Polo's 2 year anniversary in a few days. Driving to Sakleshpur. Hopefully, will have the time to pen down my holiday.
Why not fly in the Octavia? If I were you, I'd keep the Octavia 1.8 TSI as my sole highway ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I'm the only person I know who loves Goa for, more than anything else, the food.
Food was most definitely a highlight of this trip. When it comes to food, two things are guaranteed in Goa:

1. It'll be delicious, no matter where you eat. From beach shacks to joints run by foreigners...the food is awesome everywhere.

2. It'll be cheap. At nearly all the places, we (spoiled by Bombay prices) were amazed at the low pricing.

Quote:
While inside Goa, I wouldn't take my car around, ever. Zipping around on those scootys is just so much fun. My guy specially gets a Vespa for me everytime
I so badly wanted to rent a Thar, but it was just too damn hot & humid. None of the renters I came across had an a/c Thar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
I feel the drive till there & back would have been special...Looking forward to take her for a 1,500 kms trip probably by next week!
You can say that again. Take her out man, this car is built for the highway. I think I'm way past 25 highway runs already.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 09:11   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two, there is no seatbelt warning for the front passenger.
Unbelievable and clearly an oversight by BMW. Forget a C class, the previous generation Toyota Innova had it.

Quote:
You know you’re a BHPian when a red Jeep with black wheels turns your head more than a red bikini with long legs
I will most definitely look both ways. Its hard to ignore either.

Superb report. I've driven the 530D M Edition under the supervision of my cousin (the owner). The way the car accelerates is brutal. Car control is superlative too. I have never seen the tachometer race to the other end any faster than what you see on this car. The accompanying engine note is superb. Hard to believe its a diesel. However; this is't what I'd call a refined diesel though. Maybe its not meant to be. You know its a diesel when the car is idling (seated on the inside) and there are slight engine vibes felt from time to time. I've been in only one 530D so not sure if this is how it is. If you have the Start-Stop activated (very annoying), you can easily feel the engine come to life or killed. Heck; I think a Honda Insight cranks up smoother but that is probably because it does not start using a dedicated starter motor.

The paddle shift gives you almost manual car control. Pull and hold, bang bang bang on the gears, engine rev's rocket north and you're back in control (Not that you lost it). This is so addictive.

Space is indeed terrible at the back. Reminds me of my Linea (now sold). Big on the outside, not so on the inside.

Something tells me that when BMW developed this car, the sole focus was to entertain the driver and nothing else. They were least bothered if their prime competitors offered more room and opulent cabins. You feel like you're sitting in a cockpit at night. This car truly deserves the tag "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th May 2017 at 09:17.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 10:00   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The beauty of a large tank is the l-o-n-g range. Reached South Goa (620 km) with a quarter still left. No worry of filling up diesel at unknown highway pumps. In comparison, a 535i would definitely need that fuel stop enroute:
Best part of diesel ownership, it can't be emphasised enough. No need to slow down looking for a "somewhat decent" pump and hoping that the fuel won't damage the engine. In six years of highway driving, I've had to do that about 5 times and every time, it took longer than expected, tampered meters and non working displays. The range means you get to your destination with fuel to spare and look for a good pump to fill up.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:31   #704
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
However; this is't what I'd call a refined diesel though. Maybe its not meant to be. You know its a diesel when the car is idling (seated on the inside) and there are slight engine vibes felt from time to time.
The big diesels chew through their engine mounts rather quickly. Could be the case with the one you drove. Even my C220 needed new mounts at 35,000 - 40,000 km. Mpower first told me that he felt the vibes on my steering wheel; recently, Akshay1234 observed that my engine mounts might need a change soon. Will have it checked up at the next service in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The range means you get to your destination with fuel to spare and look for a good pump to fill up.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 13:54   #705
Senior - BHPian

What odo reading are you at now in 2 years?

Most Viewed