Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 10:52   #736
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

I always clean the car myself as I dont trust anyone able to clean it the right way without damaging the paint. So normally seeing 5 guys working on my car at the same time would have given me a heart attack, but since they were going to detail the car right after this...I somehow survived

Attached are a few pics as promised of the F10 and its baby brother after getting detailed. (Warning: Pic Heavy!)
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-3.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-5.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-6.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-7.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-8.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-9.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-10.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-11.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-12.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-13.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-14.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-15.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-16.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-17.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-18.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20.jpg  

Last edited by KARR : 16th June 2017 at 11:16.
KARR is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 03:10   #737
BHPian

Hi guys. My driver informed me today that he heard a scraping noise from the rear side of the car while going down a ramp. Twice. He went down the ramp 4 times during the course of the day.
I think it was the underbody scraping. Any leads on what it might be and what can I do to check, prevent and cure it.

Thanks.
Old 17th June 2017, 13:19   #738
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
Attached are a few pics as promised of the F10 and its baby brother after getting detailed.
Your F10 looks to be in showroom condition - quite impressive considering her age .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
My driver informed me today that he heard a scraping noise from the rear side of the car while going down a ramp.
If it was a big one, get the underbody checked. Should take 5 minutes tops. All critical components do have a moderate level of protection. You also need to have a word with your driver - he can't keep going up & down, scraping the car away to glory. This isn't a car that takes kindly to such abuse:

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2017, 23:06   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If it was a big one, get the underbody checked. Should take 5 minutes tops. All critical components do have a moderate level of protection. You also need to have a word with your driver - he can't keep going up & down, scraping the car away to glory. This isn't a car that takes kindly to such abuse:

I already checked the underbody. There seems to be some sort of scratch or scratches on the fuel tank apparently. I'll upload pictures ASAP. Can I do anything about it or should I get it to the ASC?

Regarding the driver, he'll be crying for days remembering the day he messed up with my favourite car.��

Thank you.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th June 2017 at 13:47. Reason: Removing extra space from quote.
Old 18th June 2017, 10:44   #740
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratosphere View Post
There seems to be some sort of scratch or scratches on the fuel tank apparently.
If it's just surface scratches, don't worry. Fuel tanks are built very tough.

Spotted this ride with black wheels last evening. Looked mean:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20170617-17.48.59.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20170617-17.58.281.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 21:53   #741
BHPian

I am not sure where to post this query. I went through the, ‘What Car’ Section but the sub section for the specific car categories has discussions around new cars. I don’t want to hijack any ownership thread with discussions about another member trying to decide on a car to buy. Since this thread is that of a moderator, I thought of posting it here and GTO perhaps can move the query to the right section in the forum.

My current car is almost 8 years old and I am holding back the urge to buy a new car. I currently own a C Segment car and I’ll go for a new car only if there is an upgrade. My new car purchase decision will be determined by the number of horses under the hood, torque and 0 – 100 Kph acceleration time. With my budget the car which entices me is the Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI. I can afford to wait for some time before I take the plunge. If I go the used car route then the car which is on my radar is the BMW 320D. However I happened to come across a 530D which I test drove. This is the F10 September 2010 Manufactured car with 65,000 kms on the odo. I test drove the car and with my limited knowledge of understanding the health of a car mechanicals it seemed fine. The suspension seemed fine and it did look well maintained. I am not naïve to go with the superficial looks of the car and give my thumbs up. If I pursue this or any other similar car then I’ll do a thorough check such as find the service history with BMW. Get the car checked with them for any repairs which are needed, and do all the regular pre-purchase checks one does before buying a used car.

My question here is should I even consider buying a 7 year old 530D. What are the risks here? Am I potentially staring at huge repair bills upwards of 3 – 4 lacs in the next few years. Will this be a white elephant with constant breakdowns for want of part replacements? The listed price given by the dealer for the MH-01 (Mumbai) registered car is 23.5 lacs. I think he might have kept some room for negotiation. I might probably be able to close the deal for about 22 Lacs. I may want to keep the car for about 4 – 5 years. How much will the car depreciate further? I can afford to lose 7 lacs over 5 years in depreciation but not more. I can afford to spend about 2 lacs on maintenance over the next 5 years. I seek advice if I should even be thinking down this road or forget this dream until I have some more financial muscle.

Thanks,

Raj Bajwa
Old 19th June 2017, 22:32   #742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajBajwa View Post
I can afford to spend about 2 lacs on maintenance over the next 5 years. I seek advice if I should even be thinking down this road or forget this dream until I have some more financial muscle.
After 4-5 years you will more than likely lose more than 7 lacs on depreciation. Also 2 lacs + will easily be spent on maintenance, even on regular items. If those budgets are not totally fixed then consider it. While it will not be a white elephant, and will probably not leave you stranded anywhere, if and when something fails it will be expensive.

For 22-23l it makes more sense for you to look for a low run 320d.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 23:33   #743
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My question here is should I even consider buying a 7 year old 530D. What are the risks here?
A 7 year old luxury sedan that was built in its first model year is not for the fainthearted. Frankly, I wouldn't consider this car, just don't have the risk appetite for it. One big repair and you'll be swearing off used cars for life. Everything is complex in these cars and my personal opinion is they aren't designed to last more than 10 years (at least not reliably).

Quote:
I can afford to spend about 2 lacs on maintenance over the next 5 years.
That's too low. Your regular maintenance & upkeep alone will be more than 40k a year. Remember, there's no such thing as a cheap full-size luxury sedan (even if it is cheap to buy, it's not cheap to own).

Please get something more reasonable in your budget. Agreed 100% with Akshay that a late model 320d makes a lot more sense. It'll be newer, far more reliable and still a very good upgrade over your current C-segmenter.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 23:55   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
After 4-5 years you will more than likely lose more than 7 lacs on depreciation. Also 2 lacs + will easily be spent on maintenance, even on regular items. If those budgets are not totally fixed then consider it. While it will not be a white elephant, and will probably not leave you stranded anywhere, if and when something fails it will be expensive.

For 22-23l it makes more sense for you to look for a low run 320d.
Thanks Akshay! My head does tell me that it's too much of a financial risk to go for the 7 year old 5er. I hope my heart doesn't make me do something silly which I'll regret later. I'll look out for a 320D or probably the 520D which has less vintage. A brand new 1.8TSI is still an option.

I am curious however to know the ballpark resale value for a 12 year old 530D in 2022. Also what can be the approximate maintenance costs for regular servicing and also parts replacements for the ageing 7 year old car for the next 5 years.

Quote:
A 7 year old luxury sedan that was built in its first model year is not for the fainthearted. Frankly, I wouldn't consider this car, just don't have the risk appetite for it. One big repair and you'll be swearing off used cars for life. Everything is complex in these cars and my personal opinion is they aren't designed to last more than 10 years (at least not reliably).
Thanks Rush. I agree with you. It's just the 3 litre in line 6 pot swept me off my feet. Maybe some day. Thanks for your inputs and I don't mean to turn your ownership thread into a discussion for new car for me. I am glued to this thread. You've truly got a Beast!

Last edited by bblost : 20th June 2017 at 01:15. Reason: Back 2 Back posts. Please use multi quote. Thanks.
Old 20th June 2017, 13:24   #745
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am curious however to know the ballpark resale value for a 12 year old 530D in 2022
Not much. You can get a 2008 E60 5-Series 6-cylinder for 8 - 9 lakhs in Bombay today. One can also buy a 12 year old S-Class for <5 lakhs in Bombay. The market is very smart and they avoid these old Germans as they're well aware of the maintenance requirements.

Quote:
Also what can be the approximate maintenance costs for regular servicing
Please keep checking this thread (where 2 year maintenance costs have been listed) and the other premium car threads.

Quote:
and also parts replacements for the ageing 7 year old car for the next 5 years.
From what I've read online, the engine is bulletproof and is very reliable in the long term. I'm not worried about that. However, with an old car, here's what I think would go:

- The turbo. No one in India idles their turbos
- The gearbox. Far more reliable than the DSG yes, but it's no saint. If things go wrong, big bucks to fix.
- Electronics.
Old 20th June 2017, 16:38   #746
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

From what I've read online, the engine is bulletproof and is very reliable in the long term. I'm not worried about that. However, with an old car, here's what I think would go:

- The turbo. No one in India idles their turbos
- The gearbox. Far more reliable than the DSG yes, but it's no saint. If things go wrong, big bucks to fix.
- Electronics.
Its a water cooled turbo I believe, and idling is not a necessity for them, again I believe. So I wouldn't worry about the turbo too much.

Even the gearbox, there are rebuild kits available for most ZF gearboxes, what we need are workshops which can manage to do these.

As for electronics, the 90s cars were really complicated, and while these seem even more complicated its always just some controller or sensor replacement which solves the issue
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2017, 13:39   #747
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its a water cooled turbo I believe, and idling is not a necessity for them
Thanks! Googled and read that the electric water pump keeps moving coolant around even after the engine has been switched off.
Old 21st June 2017, 16:44   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Not much. You can get a 2008 E60 5-Series 6-cylinder for 8 - 9 lakhs in Bombay today. One can also buy a 12 year old S-Class for <5 lakhs in Bombay. The market is very smart and they avoid these old Germans as they're well aware of the maintenance requirements.
Quote:
Its a water cooled turbo I believe, and idling is not a necessity for them, again I believe. So I wouldn't worry about the turbo too much.

Even the gearbox, there are rebuild kits available for most ZF gearboxes, what we need are workshops which can manage to do these.

As for electronics, the 90s cars were really complicated, and while these seem even more complicated its always just some controller or sensor replacement which solves the issue
Thanks GTO and Askshay. I was mistaken with assuming that the 530D with it’s stonker an of an engine will have some takers at a relatively higher price even when it is about 10 years old. But what you say here makes sense. Plus there is the added uncertainty of the government bringing in the regulation of deregistering Diesel cars older than 10 years in Metros.

I am in a very nascent stage of buying a second car and I can wait for some time. The problem is that with a budget of 20 – 25 lacs there are very few options. I don’t prefer SUVs as what excites me is better power to weight ratio, handling, and 0-100 KPH figures. I can only think about the 1.8 TSI with 180 BHP and 250 NM Torque with 0 – 100 under 10 seconds. The Octavia however will also be a depreciation disaster and it has the infamous DQ200 DSG Gear Box which can act up. I personally don’t prefer car brands which draw attention and hence I didn’t want to consider the BMW. However a used BMW ticks all the boxes for me from a car enthusiast point of view. For now I am closing the chapter on the 530D until I have the wherewithal for it. I feel that a used 320D will be a better bet than the Octavia. I am a petrol head and I love the 328i but not many are there in the used car market. I’ll keep looking out for the 3. Thanks again for your advice guys.

Best,

Raj
RajBajwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2017, 18:49   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Next upgrade is Bavsound stage one speaker upgrade and underseat ghost subs.

https://Youtu.be/LD24Ujn-D-c

I am curious .... did you end up doing the Bavsound upgrade ?
If so what are your thoughts ?
Old 5th July 2017, 20:03   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youcanburn View Post
I am curious .... did you end up doing the Bavsound upgrade ?
If so what are your thoughts ?
Nope!
Instead I bought some additional horses!!!
My 530d now Steinbauered with 305HP and 648 Nm.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1499264936316.jpg  

kedarwalke is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks