Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 16:36   #946
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Which amp is this? Do you have a make or model?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/BMW-F07-F01-...kAAOSwbYdaoYXe

Similar to this one
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:39   #947
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The "5" is going to be "5" soon. Drives like a dream & has an ability to make every outing special.

Last night @ dinner:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20180822-21.20.54.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20180822-21.20.00.jpg
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 11:49   #948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The "5" is going to be "5" soon.

I recently met someone from the car servicing industry who told me that it is best to sell the Beemer by 5th year. (in my warranty is till 5 years - for you I would imagine it would be 5 or 6 years). Even routine upkeep can be truly eye watering for keeping beyond 5 years.

I am really torn on whether to sell my GT before / well before the 5 year mark when I can extract sensible value or keep for 7-8 years. How long do you plan to keep the 530 and how do you plan to minimize maintenance costs on the Beemer post 5 years. Would you service with A.S.S or any particular after market guy in Mumbai you would trust.

Any insights into a post warranty maintenance strategy would be most helpful.

Thanks
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2018, 16:36   #949
BHPian

Just noticed that the rear left wheel alignment is out. The degree of it being inside from the top is greater than that of the right rear wheel. Anyone else faced the same issue? Though the handling seems perfect rBMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1535281553.566974.jpgBMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1535281568.951489.jpgBMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-imageuploadedbyteambhp1535281579.436639.jpg
Old 26th August 2018, 16:54   #950
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishkashyap View Post
Just noticed that the rear left wheel alignment is out. The degree of it being inside from the top is greater than that of the right rear wheel. Anyone else faced the same issue? Though the handling seems perfect r

That looks like a camber issue. You'll need to go to a good alignment place, and get it adjusted.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 04:38   #951
Senior - BHPian

Drove a BMW 535d for the first time (they dont sell the 530d here but I am not complaining). What a cracking motor and what a car! I dont think you need more performance from your everyday car. You can really feel the 600nm pushing you on the seat while 300 horses shoot you towards the horizon. This car can humble a few hardcore sports cars if the driver is not being careful. I am really tempted to trade in my Infiniti Q50 diesel for one of these pre-worshipped. Damn!
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 07:00   #952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Drove a BMW 535d for the first time (they dont sell the 530d here but I am not complaining). What a cracking motor and what a car! I dont think you need more performance from your everyday car. You can really feel the 600nm pushing you on the seat while 300 horses shoot you towards the horizon. This car can humble a few hardcore sports cars if the driver is not being careful. I am really tempted to trade in my Infiniti Q50 diesel for one of these pre-worshipped. Damn!
Hi,
I assume you live in Australia. Being a new entrant in Australia, I see lot of nice cars on the roads. I understand that Australian roads are heavily restricted when it comes to speed limits. From what I know, the max speed you can drive on any interstate highway is 110-120 kmph and within cities 40-50 kmph. So where do you find the roads to drive these cars atleast at 50-60 % of their potential? I have been wondering about this for quite sometime now.
Old 27th August 2018, 08:14   #953
BHPian

Quote:
30 - 32 PSI buddy. Anything higher is too much for Indian roads (ride quality).
Is this a general recommendation or specific to the F10?
Old 27th August 2018, 11:12   #954
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I recently met someone from the car servicing industry who told me that it is best to sell the Beemer by 5th year
Everyone has an opinion in India; handpick the ones you listen to . I kept my C220 for 9 years, even though it went through a mid-life crisis. The final 3 years were actually rather trouble-free.

The F10 so far has been flawless - almost Innova-like reliability (except for the water leakage I faced which was neither mechanical nor electrical). Hence, I am confident of holding onto her for another 5 years. Unless of course a certain 2-door sports car I have my eyes on becomes too tempting to resist.

BMW's reliability is far superior to that of Mercedes, Audi & Jaguar. Hold onto your GT till as long as you are enjoying her. And it'll always be cheaper to repair than to replace - related thread.

These European beauties age well. If I see an immaculate E60 / W124 etc., that owner always gets my respect. These stand out more than a brand new car IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishkashyap View Post
Just noticed that the rear left wheel alignment is out.
Share more pics of your car buddy. White F10s make us drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I dont think you need more performance from your everyday car. You can really feel the 600nm pushing you on the seat while 300 horses shoot you towards the horizon.
It is damn, damn fast. And in India, these cars feel even faster (due to relativity). Have driven a remapped 300 BHP 530d and the damn thing was like a speeding missile on Mumbai roads (even on the Sea Link).

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinism View Post
Is this a general recommendation or specific to the F10?
You can apply it to most cars.

Also, I can't stress on this point enough. Please park your steeds safely. 100 bucks goes a long way in India. Bombay'ites will know how popular 'Soam' restaurant is. Family wanted to go there last night. Tipped the valet and a premium spot right outside the entrance was magically made available . Was a similar story at 'Kode' recently where the valet gave me parking right opposite the entrance!
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20180826-19.51.06.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 27th August 2018 at 11:15.
GTO is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 11:27   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anish5225 View Post
Hi,
I assume you live in Australia. Being a new entrant in Australia, I see lot of nice cars on the roads. I understand that Australian roads are heavily restricted when it comes to speed limits. From what I know, the max speed you can drive on any interstate highway is 110-120 kmph and within cities 40-50 kmph. So where do you find the roads to drive these cars atleast at 50-60 % of their potential? I have been wondering about this for quite sometime now.
Not everyone who owns a supercar drives it at 300 kmph and you do not need to drive them at 300 kmph to enjoy them either. We live in a nanny state but you can still accelerate fast to 100 kph or, if you know, drive down a country road with practically no speed limits or better still turn the traction control off when at a roundabount and gun it a little to do the slide out catch opposite lock routine but thats only if you know what you are doing.

By the way maximum speed in city limits is 60 kmph, its 50 kmph when its not marked and if it is an area with high pedestrians (like a shopping strip or something) its usually 40 kmph.
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 12:22   #956
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The F10 so far has been flawless - almost Innova-like reliability (except for the water leakage I faced which was neither mechanical nor electrical). Hence, I am confident of holding onto her for another 5 years.
Thanks. Just going back to one of my related Qs. Would you service at BMW A.S.S post warranty or with a reliable aftermarket guy (which one if so). Could be a combination of course as well I guess.

What's the best repair & maintenance strategy for these steeds.
Old 27th August 2018, 12:53   #957
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just going back to one of my related Qs. Would you service at BMW A.S.S post warranty or with a reliable aftermarket guy (which one if so). Could be a combination of course as well I guess.
What I'd done with the C220 & Civic is:

- Simple stuff with minimal cost difference was always performed at Auto Hangar / Solitaire Honda. Say oils, filters etc.

- Major stuff with big cost difference at Sunil Shanbagh / Ajay Parekh (Gautam Motor Company). He is brilliant + fast, but very picky about his clients. He doesn't like too much interference and frankly, I have no time to interfere with anyone during working hours. There was a time when I used to accompany my cars during servicing. Now, the service advisor will be lucky to even hear from me once (my team handles the entire process). My funda now is = you do your work, I do mine. You don't disturb me, I don't disturb you .

With the 530d though, I'll be sending it to the authorised workshop as much as I can. Just one reason = BHPian Maverick5490.
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 16:40   #958
BHPian

Quote:
The "5" is going to be "5" soon. Drives like a dream & has an ability to make every outing special.
Congratulations! It indeed is one fantastic machine.

Quote:
I am really torn on whether to sell my GT before / well before the 5 year mark when I can extract sensible value or keep for 7-8 years. How long do you plan to keep the 530 and how do you plan to minimize maintenance costs on the Beemer post 5 years. Would you service with A.S.S or any particular after market guy in Mumbai you would trust.

Any insights into a post warranty maintenance strategy would be most helpful.

Thanks
It really is a tricky question. More than the upkeep cost, I am concerned about the resale value. By 9th/10th year the car will be worth 10-15% of the original price and then too finding buyers would be a hard task. Most probably one will have to sell off to a new car dealer in exchange of a new car. And their valuation can actually be demoralising.

As against selling in 5th year could fetch around 50% of the original value with decent amount of buyers still interested.

In the end, after all the math, I guess one will end up saving 10-15% maximum in the additional 5 years of ownership with additional worry of high cost of repairs. It will be also hard to use the car as a primary car when you know it can die on you anytime unless of course it is Toyota or Honda.

It makes sense to never sell a car like Toyota or a beater car, but in case of these luxury cars with complex mechatronics, I am not so sure.

Quote:
Also, I can't stress on this point enough. Please park your steeds safely. 100 bucks goes a long way in India. Bombay'ites will know how popular 'Soam' restaurant is. Family wanted to go there last night. Tipped the valet and a premium spot right outside the entrance was magically made available . Was a similar story at 'Kode' recently where the valet gave me parking right opposite the entrance!
Couldn't agree more! My wife used to wonder why I tip the valet/watchman beforehand at restaurants/hotels until one day she saw the watchman I tipped while parking the car was religiously guarding the car on a very busy street. Tipped him while leaving as well.

Anywhere between 20-100 Rs can go a long way in keeping the car safe as well as providing that much required peace of mind.
the_skyliner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 18:07   #959
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
It really is a tricky question. More than the upkeep cost, I am concerned about the resale value. By 9th/10th year the car will be worth 10-15% of the original price and then too finding buyers would be a hard task.
No man. You still get something. My 9.xx year old C220 with 1 lakh km on the odo got 5.5 lakhs (IIRC) which is 20% of what I paid for her. Despite being a 6-speed MT (luxury car owners prefer AT) and wearing MH-15 plates in MH-01 Bombay.

Quote:
As against selling in 5th year could fetch around 50% of the original value with decent amount of buyers still interested.
Again, no man . You can sell / buy a 5 year old 530d for 25 lakhs which is more like ~35% of the original price.

Quote:
In the end, after all the math, I guess one will end up saving 10-15% maximum in the additional 5 years of ownership with additional worry of high cost of repairs.
If I sell my 530d today, I'm guessing I will get 28 - 30 lakhs (still have lots of warranty left, it's a company-registered car etc.). Now, after another 5 years, I'll easily get 15 lakhs for it (Sahil sold his 9 year old E60 525d for 12 lakhs IIRC).

We should start a new thread on this. But I will say this: In 95% of the situations, it will be significantly cheaper to hold onto your existing car than buying a new one (because of depreciation).

Best solution = keep buying pre-worshipped .

Quote:
It will be also hard to use the car as a primary car when you know it can die on you anytime unless of course it is Toyota or Honda.
These BMWs are damn good. Sahil never had any serious issues with his car. Even my C220 was amazing in its final run with us. Just the midlife was the worst.

Quote:
until one day she saw the watchman I tipped while parking the car was religiously guarding the car on a very busy street
Agreed. My belief is simple. Paying 50 - 100 bucks gives me:

- Peace of the mind.

- A premium parking spot. No walking or roaming around in the area.

- I always park it myself in the space made available for me.

- Charity. Valets make like minimum wage, man.

Now compare that to someone keying my car in a lonely backlane and that costing me 20,000 - 40,000 bucks in repairs + heartache + car off the road for 10 days!
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 20:46   #960
BHPian

Quote:

Best solution = keep buying pre-worshipped .
Slight OT GTO, I have been following the Advice of Seniors on this Forum very Diligently when it comes to my Cars.

I am happy to share that I am on my 4th Pre-Owned car and will keep Following this "Guru Mantra" till I can (unless the Mrs. Overrules it)

My Cars
Maruti 800 (5 speed,only Petrol) -> Esteem Diesel (1.5 TUD5 Engine) -> Opel Corsa (1.6 GLS Petrol) -> Skoda Octavia Mk-II (1.9 TDI)

Over to you Captian ......

Last edited by Jimmy_u : 27th August 2018 at 20:48. Reason: car details
Jimmy_u is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed