Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2020, 13:52   #1231
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
There is also a good chance of battery draining out once again, so they have told me start the car for 20 mins every alt day to avoid drain. This is if I want to avoid flatbedding the car for when the part arrives!
Sorry to hear about your battery issues. Until this is fixed, here are some suggestions:

1) Get an OBD adapter and the BimmerLink app (Android - free). It shows the exact State of charge (SOC) for the battery as computed by the car in real time. It can help you avoid starting the car too often unless required (SOC <55-60%).

2) Why don't you get a trickle charger? It will be much cheaper than replacing the battery if it goes into a deep discharge state.
d3mon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2020, 14:07   #1232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Sorry to hear about your battery issues. Until this is fixed, here are some suggestions:

1) Get an OBD adapter and the BimmerLink app (Android - free). It shows the exact State of charge (SOC) for the battery as computed by the car in real time. It can help you avoid starting the car too often unless required (SOC <55-60%).

2) Why don't you get a trickle charger? It will be much cheaper than replacing the battery if it goes into a deep discharge state.
Thanks. I suppose I will be needing an OBD adapter since the car will be out of warranty soon. Any pointers as to where I can source one from?

Trickle charger has been on my wishlist for quite some time now. Due to the Covid crisis, this item (Bosch C7) is not available anywhere currently.
Old 15th July 2020, 14:19   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I suppose I will be needing an OBD adapter since the car will be out of warranty soon. Any pointers as to where I can source one from?

Trickle charger has been on my wishlist for quite some time now. Due to the Covid crisis, this item (Bosch C7) is not available anywhere currently.
Amazon has plenty of options. This is the one I bought some time back.

https://www.amazon.in/GadgetGuru-Sup...4802500&sr=8-2

BTW if you are technically inclined, you could also get the BMW Enet cable (also available on amazon) and install the official BMW diagnostic system on your laptop. This will be especially helpful after your warranty ends. You get the same ISTA+ interface which the dealers use to diagnose and fix faults from the comfort of your home. In your specific example, the ISTA software can let you:
- See the charge history (SOC) over the last 7 days
- See the battery State of Health (SOH)
- See the Histogram of battery SOC over the lifetime of the vehicle.
- Command the car to shut down and go to sleep (see if that helps reduce parasitic drain from your module).

Last edited by d3mon : 15th July 2020 at 14:21.
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2020, 07:32   #1234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Amazon has plenty of options. This is the one I bought some time back.

https://www.amazon.in/GadgetGuru-Sup...4802500&sr=8-2
Thanks! Do we need the BT 4.0 version for better connection and future proofing? Double the price but still reasonable in absolute terms.

Like this one: https://www.amazon.in/GadgetGuru-Blu...x=vgate&sr=8-1
Old 16th July 2020, 08:23   #1235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks! Do we need the BT 4.0 version for better connection and future proofing? Double the price but still reasonable in absolute terms.
Sorry, I can't tell you which one is better. I just have experience with the wifi model that works fine for me.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 19:31   #1236
BHPian

Your 5 looks great. You might have answered this question earlier in the thread but why did you wrap the roof black when the car itself is black?
Old 28th July 2020, 12:41   #1237
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGearBox View Post
why did you wrap the roof black when the car itself is black?
The car's colour is carbon-black, which is BMW speak for a very dark blue. That said, yes, the black roof isn't very obvious on this shade.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 17:41   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Is the keyfob able unlock/ lock the door and start the car normally when you replace the battery? You say you are using the manual key, which I assume is what you get when you pull out the metal knife like key from the fob. Once you get inside, are you able to start the car normally or do you have to hold the key fob up to the steering column to start the car?
Hi Santhosh,

As you said I am using the manual steel key inside the keyfob to open and close the the car now .But for starting I am able to start the car by keeping the keyfob close to the steering column. sometimes when starting the battery low error will be shown on the display (I use the Car very rarely especially now,maybe in one month only 1 time I use the carc.But till then I have been able to start like that. Not sure how long it will go like this.
Mine is a 2012 520d model with the stock battery.So I guess its almost time to change the battery anyways. I had checked the Amaron people and they quoted 12k for the new battery.In the service centre they are quoting 40k for the BMW stock battery. But what is frustrating now is that that keyfob battery getting drained in 2 weeks. Haven't yet ordered for a new keyfob as I'm still checking if any other options are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Try & find the duplicate key .

2. Read this thread on smartkey battery drain.

3. Get some contacts on smartkey repair. If there are places where ECUs can be easily repaired, smartkeys should be too.

4. Keep changing the battery every 2 weeks till you find someone to repair.

5. Find a competent luxury car garage that can help you out for cheaper.

Your post offers a glimpse of the big bills we should expect when parts fail in such expensive cars.
Hi GTO,

I'm not finding anybody to repair the keyfob as you said (Im based in Calicut now). What the service centre told me is that I won't be able to repair the Keyfob from anywhere.As per them the Only option is to change the keyfob through the service center.

But now that you said there is an option of repairing it I'm checking out third party people who can do it. But till now i have not been able to find somebody who will repair the keyfob ECU. They are all saying the security system integrated to the ECU can be repaired only by the BMW service center.

Will appreciate if anybody can help me find someone who can repair the keyfob Ecu board.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th August 2020 at 22:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote functionality (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts at once. Thanks!
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 08:18   #1239
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
So I guess its almost time to change the battery anyways. I had checked the Amaron people and they quoted 12k for the new battery.In the service centre they are quoting 40k for the BMW stock battery.
You have to stick to the BMW battery because the F10 uses an "AGM" type battery. Don't put a normal battery in your car. In case you do, it requires some reprogramming (even if you put an AGM replacement, it requires programming).

While the battery is exorbitantly priced - as with all parts of this car - it does last long. My car's original battery lasted for 6 years and even when it was replaced, it was not completely dead (probably had 1 year left). For such an electronically-complex car, that is a long life. Just to put things in perspective, my C220's battery required a change every 4 years and that car was a lot simpler + used daily (my 530d is driven just twice / week).
Old 15th August 2020, 08:30   #1240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have to stick to the BMW battery because the F10 uses an "AGM" type battery. Don't put a normal battery in your car. In case you do, it requires some reprogramming (even if you put an AGM replacement, it requires programming).

While the battery is exorbitantly priced - as with all parts of this car - it does last long. My car's original battery lasted for 6 years and even when it was replaced, it was not completely dead (probably had 1 year left). For such an electronically-complex car, that is a long life. Just to put things in perspective, my C220's battery required a change every 4 years and that car was a lot simpler + used daily (my 530d is driven just twice / week).
I was told that by an FNG battery shop that there isn't any technical "reprogramming" needed on battery change. But the trick is that the car apparently cannot be left without a battery at any point of time during the battery change. So he said that they will first connect it to an alternate battery to ensure it keeps getting its power and then swap the actual battery with the new battery. Cost quoted was approx. 15k which is almost a 60% discount over the OEM battery price.

Also I agree that BMW official battery is just phenomenal. Mine has lasted me during last 6.5 years and still going strong. This unexpected lockdown has taken its toll on the battery even though I ensured to start the car once a week but these days it takes a moment longer to start and I can tell that the battery is starting to show its age. If not for the lockdown, it may have lasted me for anther 1-2 years. While we are on the topic of battery, does BSI cover battery replacement?
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 15:29   #1241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I was told that by an FNG battery shop that there isn't any technical "reprogramming" needed on battery change. But the trick is that the car apparently cannot be left without a battery at any point of time during the battery change.
The FNG battery shop doesn't know what he's talking about. Even if you swap your old battery with the OEM Varta battery, you still need to program a reset of the charging function to let the car know it has a new battery or it will assume you still have an old battery and send a higher charging current which will drastically reduce battery life. Many videos on YouTube on how to do this. Bimmerlink also has this function.

The OEM 95AH Varta battery costs INR 23K from the official distributor, Swastikfabs.

I've never heard about not disconnecting the battery while swapping to a new one. I've disconnected my Varta battery many times while tinkering with the car and have had no problems on reconnecting it.

Last edited by Moontan : 16th August 2020 at 15:30.
Moontan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 11:44   #1242
BHPian

Hi, I have changed my battery from Swastik Fabs, go for an AGM Varta battery. You will have to find someone with BMW software which can tell the system that there is a new battery installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I was told that by an FNG battery shop that there isn't any technical "reprogramming" needed on battery change. But the trick is that the car apparently cannot be left without a battery at any point of time during the battery change. So he said that they will first connect it to an alternate battery to ensure it keeps getting its power and then swap the actual battery with the new battery. Cost quoted was approx. 15k which is almost a 60% discount over the OEM battery price.

Also I agree that BMW official battery is just phenomenal. Mine has lasted me during last 6.5 years and still going strong. This unexpected lockdown has taken its toll on the battery even though I ensured to start the car once a week but these days it takes a moment longer to start and I can tell that the battery is starting to show its age. If not for the lockdown, it may have lasted me for anther 1-2 years. While we are on the topic of battery, does BSI cover battery replacement?
vyasachetan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:54   #1243
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontan View Post
The OEM 95AH Varta battery costs INR 23K from the official distributor, Swastikfabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyasachetan View Post
Hi, I have changed my battery from Swastik Fabs, go for an AGM Varta battery.
Guys, please share the contact details. Is it this same company - https://www.swastikfabs.in/? Any particular person or phone number? Thank you!
Old 17th August 2020, 17:07   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Is it this same company - https://www.swastikfabs.in/?
This is the official distributor for Varta in India. I don't have a number or contact person, but from all I've heard, they are very good to deal with.

German_clan bought his Varta OEM from them directly for his 5 series, so he may have more information.

Last edited by Moontan : 17th August 2020 at 17:08.
Moontan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:05   #1245
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Had my first highway drive after all the enhancements & I am frankly blown away!

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20200823-08.43.13.jpg

The tubeless tyres

+

Gearbox remap

+

Engine remap

Have transformed the car! She was always terrific on the open road...now she is outstanding! The gearbox remap in Sport / Manual mode is so much more aggressive. It allows me to keep the engine hot, continuously. Like constantly between 4,500 - ~5,300 rpm when I want, with a low point of 4,300 (don't do this continuously - just on the fun stretches). In a diesel! I also remain amazed at how silky-smooth this engine is, even at max revs. There is simply no Diesel AT like this - easily the benchmark.

If you own an F10 or G30 530d, you MUST consider these 3 enhancements. I knew the stuff has made the car better, but I'd only driven it in the city so far, due to the lockdown. After the highway drive, I have a permanent silly grin plastered all over my face.

If you are thinking of buying a 520d, DON'T. Pay the extra money for the 530d. The smiles & pleasure over a 10-year period will be worth every paisa of the premium. Beg, borrow or steal and go for the superior engine. You will never, ever regret it. On the other hand, if you buy a 520d and then test-drive a friend's 530d, you will always regret getting the 4-cylinder.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd August 2020 at 12:13.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks