Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 09:41   #1366
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by podaraditya View Post
I was going to start a thread on my pre-worshipped 5 series but I chose your thread as its one of most visited and all BHPians should know what a gem of a guy @Maverick5490 a.k.a Sushil is. I have certainly benefited a ton from your detailed review and the tips you have offered all through in purchasing the right 5 for myself. Thanks.
Can you please share the workshop name / location and contact details pls? Asking this query as a post as it might help others too.

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2021 at 12:49. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks for the support
Old 19th October 2021, 09:59   #1367

BMW Infinity Cars Service Center Turbhe, Navi Mumbai. Tel - 022 67522222. You can ask for Mr. Sushil Marathe.
podaraditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 08:18   #1368
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
8 years up, and the beast is performing superbly! These cars are built to extremely high quality standards & hence, age very slowly.
What kind of kms life do you get from each set of brake pads (front and rear) as well as the brake discs? Just got my front pad replacement warning and the approximate cost of replacing these at BMW is about 25k.

Between front pads, rear pads and corresponding discs, I’m guessing this is perhaps the most regular part that requires periodic change (other than tyres I suppose which should go 35 - 40,000 clicks). Other than basic oil / filters / routine service related items I mean.

I guess combined with routine maintenance (not counting insurance) even a 50 - 70k cost per year is fine to be able to continue using my GT. It simply doesn’t feel like its aged and I continue to back myself to taking this till 2024/25 at least.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 17:53   #1369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What kind of kms life do you get from each set of brake pads (front and rear) as well as the brake discs? Just got my front pad replacement warning and the approximate cost of replacing these at BMW is about 25k.
Gonna jump on this, just because I can.

I’m using EBC yellow stuff for my F30, and I got about 22-25k kilometers out of the last set of pads (front and rear). I’m at about 45k kilometers, and am still on the factory discs (albeit after some skimming).

The EBCs have super braking power, and are less dusty than the OEM pads IMO. They’re perfectly suited for city use or for weekend spirited driving, a quality I admire greatly. Would recommend them without hesitation, I like them better than the factory stuff. A set of 4 cost me just shy of approx. 25k, and then you add on sensors and fluids, et al, and you’re looking at a cost of about 30k to replace all 4 pads outside BMW.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 20th October 2021 at 17:54. Reason: Typos. The bane of my existence. Ducking hate them
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 12:48   #1370
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
What kind of kms life do you get from each set of brake pads (front and rear) as well as the brake discs?
Don't know man, as I'm not sure if the pads were changed by the earlier owner when I bought it. I have changed the pads just once, still running on stock discs. I think my pads will last longer - despite a hard driving style - because more than 50% of my odometer reading is from the highway. And I am big on engine braking.

Quote:
other than tyres I suppose which should go 35 - 40,000 clicks
I'm on my third set already at 46000 clicks . The earlier 2 sets of runflats started sliding at ~20,000 km. By 22,000 km, they were like bald tyres. This fat + heavy + torquey car chews through rubber. I am told the current tubeless set will go a bit longer, but I don't expect anything over 25,000 km from them. It's like 3 - 4 bucks a km for the tyres alone.

Quote:
It simply doesn’t feel like its aged and I continue to back myself to taking this till 2024/25 at least.
. Great to have you join the long ownership club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The EBCs have super braking power, and are less dusty than the OEM pads IMO. T
Thanks! Made a note in the 530d to-do list to get EBCs at the next change.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 13:15   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gonna jump on this, just because I can.

I’m using EBC yellow stuff for my F30, and I got about 22-25k kilometers out of the last set of pads (front and rear). I’m at about 45k kilometers, and am still on the factory discs (albeit after some skimming).

The EBCs have super braking power, and are less dusty than the OEM pads IMO. They’re perfectly suited for city use or for weekend spirited driving, a quality I admire greatly. Would recommend them without hesitation, I like them better than the factory stuff. A set of 4 cost me just shy of approx. 25k, and then you add on sensors and fluids, et al, and you’re looking at a cost of about 30k to replace all 4 pads outside BMW.
I recently got a E90 320D Msport, and the iDrive was showing front brake pads life as 80K kms when I got it, 5000kms later it's still at 70K.
How Accurate it is?

Btw the car runs a BBK, has it got anything to do with this?
Old 21st October 2021, 13:42   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I recently got a E90 320D Msport, and the iDrive was showing front brake pads life as 80K kms when I got it, 5000kms later it's still at 70K.
How Accurate is it?
Congrats on the bimmer! 80k KMS is absurd and unreal, I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s grossly exaggerated. I can understand something in the ballpark of 40k kilometres since it’s a 320d that (I assume) is on 16 inch wheels. But not 2x of that.

Generally, the brake wear sensor is reasonably accurate. But it’s not always on the money. Once, midway to Goa, it plummeted from 7500 kms to 2000 kms in the blink of an eye. So take it with a pinch of salt.

Let it run its natural course, but if you can at some point (maybe during a tyre change or so), just check if the life indicated in iDrive actually tallies with the depth left on the pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Btw the car runs a BBK, has it got anything to do with this?
I honestly haven’t got a clue, as I’ve never put a BBK on any of my cars. Easiest way to get to the bottom of this is to simply take a physical look at it, for total peace of mind.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 14:11   #1373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the bimmer! 80k KMS is absurd and unreal, I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s grossly exaggerated. I can understand something in the ballpark of 40k kilometres since it’s a 320d that (I assume) is on 16 inch wheels. But not 2x of that.

Generally, the brake wear sensor is reasonably accurate. But it’s not always on the money. Once, midway to Goa, it plummeted from 7500 kms to 2000 kms in the blink of an eye. So take it with a pinch of salt.

Let it run its natural course, but if you can at some point (maybe during a tyre change or so), just check if the life indicated in iDrive actually tallies with the depth left on the pads.

I honestly haven’t got a clue, as I’ve never put a BBK on any of my cars. Easiest way to get to the bottom of this is to simply take a physical look at it, for total peace of mind.
It's on 17's; Rear Brake pads were showing 22K, and they are now down to 15000 and they are squeaking already; Will definitely keep an eye on front ones physically.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2021, 14:42   #1374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
8 years up, and the beast is performing superbly! These cars are built to extremely high quality standards & hence, age very slowly. I'm enjoying her combination of speed + practicality so much that I think I'll hold onto her for another 3 - 5 years (if the W222 S-Class bug doesn't bite a bigger one).
That's a great update with some lovely pictures. I agree with you, these cars are terrific for touring across India and not as delicate as people suspect them to be. You just have to maintain them with discipline and avoid cost-cutting.

5-series has always been my absolute favourite 4-door sedan - has the best proportions for a sedan. Unfortunately I ended up with a 2.0L when we got F10 as I thought the difference in price was an overkill. That was a blunder. Since then I have moved onto petrol engines and it will soon be EVs I guess but I regret not getting the 3.0L diesel engine back then.

W222 is a great looking car and should be fairly reliable as well (as I feel it is a heavy facelift of a mature platform of W221). However I must warn you that you will grow very impatient with it coming from a 530D unless you get a S500 - I suspect you prefer diesel and S350 diesel would be underwhelming IMHO. It will definitely be a step up in comfort but it is far from agile.

I recently spent some time with Camry Hybrid (previous model) and quite unexpectedly I was really enjoying that car as it felt like the hybrid tech is a match made in heaven for congested slow traffic in Bangalore. I am sort of a Toyota-basher and it was not easy for me to accept that I enjoyed driving a Camry. That's when I realised that certain cars change you as a driver and without your knowledge you end up driving those cars the way they are meant to be driven. S class is a great example of such cars.
androdev is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:31   #1375
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You just have to maintain them with discipline and avoid cost-cutting.
Well said. Always the best parts & labour .

Quote:
However I must warn you that you will grow very impatient with it coming from a 530D unless you get a S500 - I suspect you prefer diesel and S350 diesel would be underwhelming IMHO. It will definitely be a step up in comfort but it is far from agile.
True, true. Two things holding me back:

- The 530d is a lot of fun to drive in a way that the W222 may never be.

- The 530d is the perfectly sized "big sedan" for India. There is no place I haven't been able to squeeze her through. However, I'm not sure if the W222 would be able to do these roads of Pawna, or all the tiny roads of Mahabaleshwar / Goa that I take the 5 through. Not only is the W222 bigger, but its useable GC might also be lower.

Quote:
I am sort of a Toyota-basher and it was not easy for me to accept that I enjoyed driving a Camry.
I LOVE the Camry Hybrid! You should drive the current-gen. It is a spectacular machine.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 12:37   #1376
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wanted to go someplace on the Diwali weekend. Had only just been to Pawna (link to full post), Nashik highway is ill-maintained, so thought of Pune. Moralfibre told me Paasha is the best place for dining & Miami is the best disco in Pune, so booked a room at JW Marriott itself.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211106-11.05.01.jpg

It seems one can never go for a long drive without spotting a Team-BHP fan or two
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211106-10.06.12.jpg

I don't like high-revving when there's dense traffic...that's not me. My style is early morning (think sunrise) + empty roads for hard driving. Boy, there was a lot of traffic due to the long weekend, so I was driving real easy:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211106-10.34.54.jpg

Always the best parking . Car was here all through the weekend:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211106-13.58.15.jpg

Loved the property! We went to the spa, then rooftop dinner @ Paasha, finally Club Miami. Man, India needs more discos - bring the dancing culture back!! Enough with the easy lounges & restaurants where you only sit:

Loo with a view. LOL
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211106-20.44.05.jpg

This car has a dual personality that few others can match. Drive hard and you'll enjoy the 650 NM / 300 BHP. Drive easy and it'll sip diesel like a miser. Drive hard and you can hustle the car on fast roads. Drive slow and you'll enjoy its soft, comfy ride quality. Driving easy because of the traffic and see the FE. Not bad for a 6-cylinder motor with 300 horses, huh? 3.0L turbo-petrols, keep dreaming. Did Pune & back in 1/4th tank (see last image):
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211107-14.54.34.jpg

Had some stretches where I could stretch her legs, but frankly, they were few & far between. Everyone was out for this weekend:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211107-14.21.00.jpg

Love our beautiful country, and more so during Diwali. So much colour:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20211107-20.49.23.jpg

The ZF8 gearbox is mind-blowing good. Say I'm cruising in D8 at 110 kmph and want to suddenly overtake. I push the throttle all the way in; before I even reach the end, it's already dropped from D8 -> D4 in an instant!!! By the time the throttle is buried, the car is in D3 and already flying. The engine + gearbox still make me grin, after so many years of ownership.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2021 at 08:08.
GTO is offline   (81) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 18:47   #1377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Moralfibre told me Paasha is the best place for dining & Miami is the best disco in Pune, so booked a room at JW Marriott itself.
We've been doing Pune regularly as we are redoing a house pretty close to JW.
JW has become the de-facto lunch stop for us on the return journey. The all day dining restaurant has served us some delicious pizzas on many occasions (with the odd miss as well).
Located close to the mall, and quick on and off the highway (Ravet route preferred for sedans, though maps tries to take us through Aundh and Pashan).

Quote:
It seems one can never go for a long drive without spotting a Team-BHP fan or two
And almost everywhere: Spotted a Swift with a Live to Drive sticker the second we walked out of the airport at Gwalior yesterday!

Quote:
I don't like high-revving when there's dense traffic...that's not me.
Completely agree! Most trips with family end up with us leaving only at 8am and the Tiguan with its underpowered engine, and ability to tackle the odd bumps and breakers without going sideways in heavier traffic is often the pick.

Quote:
Loved the property! We went to the spa, then rooftop dinner @ Paasha, finally Club Miami. Man, India needs more discos - bring the dancing culture back!!
Given we end up at JW for meals, the odd occasion we have an excuse to spend a night we've stayed at Conrad and Ritz Carlton. Both amazing properties with great food. Didn't get to check out the bar at Conrad, though Ritz has a lounge on the rooftop which was quite nice as well. Pune weather is brilliant so these rooftop lounges are a nice place to be. No discos at either place though.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 11:25   #1378
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now the 2nd most-read ownership review on Team-BHP, although Gannu's iconic thread is way ahead

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-screenshot-20211110-111414.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Ritz has a lounge on the rooftop which was quite nice as well. Pune weather is brilliant so these rooftop lounges are a nice place to be.
Will check out next, thanks.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 11:35   #1379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now the 2nd most-read ownership review on Team-BHP, although Gannu's iconic thread is way ahead .
Even as a non 5 series owner I regularly stay abreast just as a BMW owner. And its not just the “read” count. I think this thread may have single-handedly resulted in a fair few sales for the 530d as well - both used as well as new but particularly used.

Gannu’s Polo thread “read count” is quite impressive indeed - even more so as I think its across fewer total posts. I guess there is an even wider market for a polo than a 5 series and a 165k ownership report for a Polo will deservedly attract massive traffic.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 15:41   #1380
BHPian

Quote:
Loo with a view. LOL
Talking about loo with a view, sharing this pic i shot in Switzerland (location).

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-loo_with_a_view.jpg
carthick1000 is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks