Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2015, 00:18   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Just noticed one more thing, that I realized now when I was going through the pictures in the review again.

" GTO BHP? "

Excellent!
It's actually "GTO's BHP" The 's is smaller.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 00:23   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
[b]

Very unique, very capable = Adjustable under-thigh support on both front seats! Extremely comfortable. Tall drivers will be thrilled:
Now you agree- what I meant about the superb under-thigh support in 7series.

Quote:
[b]

14-spoke 18" rims. Runs a staggered setup with 275 tyres at the rear and 245s at the front. I never liked these rims from the pictures and they were on top of my upgrade list. After seeing them in person though, I've decided to keep them. Look closely and you'll see an ///M logo on the wheel:
Please upgrade those rims as it looks a segment lower. Between BMW 3 series corporate edition almost have similar design.

Quote:
[b]
There is a flip side (as mentioned in the ride quality report): On undulating up & down roads, especially in 'comfort' mode, the bobbing & vertical movement is noticeable. Sport mode does improve matters, but not entirely to my satisfaction. The C220 used to ride much flatter on these wavy roads. Must add, this bobbing wasn't as much in the pre-2013 cars with the lower 141 mm ground clearance (it's not got a mention in my 2010 525d review).
I fully agree to your observations. Also my current 525d has none of this issue. I think hydraulic suspension is more comfortable then air suspension in ability to respond back (In your case I think its either the adjustable dampers which dosen`t respond back quickly or the added ground clearance). My experience with Mercedes Benz -s class was the same, 7 series with front hydraulic has none of the bobbing of the s class and feels more stable, comfortable and planted. In my review I had highlighted that how in sports mode the ride of s class becomes unsettling and comfort mode the ride is too soft for my taste. I always felt hydraulics are more comfortable and planted for our road conditions. Air suspension and adjustable dampers are more of gimmicky features which are best suited for European –even road conditions. My Toyota Camry, BMW 525d feels way more comfortable and planted then range rover and Jaguar.

Quote:
[b]
This lack of legroom is a shame because the sofa-like seat is just so comfortable. The backrest angle is perfect, as is the luxurious seat compound
Including a picture of the 2010 525d's rear seat in this set. Compare the two back to back and it's obvious that the newer car has a beefed up bench, albeit one that eats up space.
I fully agree with your observation as older car has no such leg space issues ,infacts its very comfortable.

Quote:
[b]
The remote gives you full control, and emulates the iDrive interface using its scroll wheel.
That remote is fantastic. Can I have the same in my 525D. Is it available as a option?

Quote:
[b]
Overall NVH levels:

The 5-Series has outstanding cabin insulation. Once you shut the door, the outside world truly stays outside. You only realise how busy the world is when you lower a window to pay the toll or something. Additionally, one of the reasons that the car is able to mask high speeds so competently is because of the excellent insulation. .
That’s definitely a improvement over the pre 2013 versions. I guess that’s more to do with the engine upgrades as my current 7 series feels like petrol while the earlier car is audible enough.

Congrats for your new toy and thanks for the truly superb elaborate review. Its truly mouthwatering. Whatever you have found is really spot-on and shows the enthusiast in you.
vishal9999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 00:37   #63
BHPian

Congratulations GTO on your 530D M-Sport. It's an absolute stunner !

P.S: Did i happen to see your 530D at marine drive (near jai hind college) around 3pm today afternoon ?? I am sure i saw a black 530D with the M badge!
dreamliner17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 00:41   #64
BHPian

Congratulations GTO on acquiring one of the sweetest rides available in the market! Indeed, the used cars market can give you some really mouth watering deals. Just bought an Aveo in pristine condition few months back, and a really sweet price.

I had a question about the 5'er. Does the dimensions differ for the 525d & 530d or BMW has somehow managed to stuff in the 3L straight six in the same bonnet of 525d?
parth.jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 01:04   #65
BHPian

When we talk about pre-worshipped, don't we talk about cheaper cars?

GTO when you bought the civic pre-worshipped you were in the league of regular bhpians who can afford vehicles in India.

With this purchase you have entered the territory of an enthusiast who happens to be the founder of a great automotive forum. You are no longer the regular Joe bhpian.

Also, to you, 42 lakhs sounds decent money for the vehicle you just bought, when one can buy the same vehicle maybe two years older for 20 lakhs, which is half the price you paid. So how is it a wise choice when one can pay about 20 lakhs for a four year old car and then spend some more (maybe a maximum of 2-3 lakhs on the upkeep for the next 3 years)
Distant Second is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 01:21   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When it comes to cars, the higher you go, the harder you fall. Translated: The more expensive the car, the more value it loses & fast. ...A car that's used for 10% (or less) of its life for half the list price! Ah, the beauty of the pre-worshipped market...you simply can't beat the value proposition on offer.
My own BMW story was a little different, but same principle in that the car 10+ years old, with maybe half (or 2/3rds?) its practical service life remaining, bought at 1/7th it's (49,000USD) original price (1988 E32 [735i] 5-speed). When the factory/extended warranties are used up, things get REALLY cheap, especially when you've got a dozen or so on-board computers/modules each costing a thousand dollars or so, and a couple are already no more than semi-functional!

The E32 was a nice car, though: the basic mechanical / structural / interior designs, along with styling, very solid/enduring; and I suspect BMW has been forced to better themselves re: the "niggles" in intervening years. Also appreciate that BMW, almost or actually alone, has stuck with the inherently smoother inline 6's when even (some?) Merc's ended up compromised with kind of inferior V6's requiring balance shafts to smoothen them. It's kind of a purist thing, but it really works, too.

Thanks for sharing.

-Eric

Last edited by ringoism : 28th August 2015 at 01:45.
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 01:34   #67
BHPian

Many congratulations GTO, this is one sweet looking ride. That's one well rounded garage you've got. The 5 in this F10 avatar is arguably the best looking 5 so far! Wish you many happy miles with your beauty.
abhii176 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 01:41   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Woah!!!!! Whatta Car and whatta read. The attention to detail, the pictures, it feels i am sitting in the car and not reading it off my puny 14" laptop. You make it too difficult to look back at my City the same way now, guess at least a pre worshiped Superb should be called in till i can get myself a Bimmer!!!

Many Congrats GTO on a beautiful car, and a brilliant price too. Wish you miles of happy and safe driving.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 01:57   #69
BHPian

Great choice GTO! Looks like you picked an awesome, truly "pre-worshipped" car! Absolutely love that M-Sport kit.

More importantly it looks like you have set a new benchmark for quality of ownership reviews. One that's sure to last for years to come, I'm sure!

Enjoy your Beast in the best of health buddy.
Saarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 02:16   #70
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

What should I say? Congratulations M5 Really happy when I heard you got the BMW with an M kit. I am sure you will enjoy the 530 more than any other car in your garage.

Love the wheels on your car. They remind me of the ones on the E39 M5. And nothing beats the black color too - All the best in keeping it shining always

Last edited by Aditya : 28th August 2015 at 14:23. Reason: SMS language u = you
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 02:21   #71
BHPian

Congratulations Sir.

The car looks in one word, fabulous. The M-kit really transforms the look of the car and makes it look way more special than a normal 5-Series.

Good luck with the new car.
Aditya666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 03:45   #72
BHPian

A very detailed review. It must have been days of hard work with the pictures & write ups.
5 star rated.
The black colour looks fantastic. There's definitely something about the black that makes the cars look their best. The most difficult colour to maintain. I for sure know as I have a black car too.
jfxavier is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 05:13   #73
BHPian

Congratulations, GTO. Very nice and detailed review.

Quote:
Manual mode layout is stupidly inverted (i.e. move gearlever up for a downshift and vice versa):
I've heard this before and I find the BMW system more intuitive than the inverse.

Somehow it makes sense to pull gears as you shift up / Accelerate (as your body is pushed backwards) and push gears as you shift down while decelerating as your body moves forward. Probably the reason why Sequential shifters in rally use the same setup.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 07:01   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Splendid review GTO and many congratulations for acquiring the German beast.

The choice of color in dark does full justice to its design elements and looks wonderful.

Wishing you some fantastic driving experiences on so many twisties and beautiful expressways - That's where the 5 Series would never disappoint you with its manners and controls!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 07:06   #75
BHPian

Superb review. Wishing you many happy miles on the car. It's one sweet deal. I love the fact that we can simply buying something 2 segments higher for the same price

I have been scouting around for a used vehicle in the similar segment (2013+ bmw/merc) my only condition has been to get a petrol. Funnily no relatively new petrol cars in the market which meet my specs, will land up calling your used car dealer and see if he has something in store for me. :-)
arpandiv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed