Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2015, 16:22   #166
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

Thanks for the wishes & appreciation, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Yes, that car does belong to a friend. He said that there were no untoward expenses till now, apart from the regular services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
My F10 520D has clocked around 55k since 2011 & not a single problem. BMW is very reliable compared to the other two germans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I must have done a combined mileage of over 3 Lac KM on various Beemers (3,5,X5,X6,& 7) except once none of my cars have been towed till date or have being to workshop for any faults
Thanks! That's very reassuring.

Quote:
I was thinking of listing my 2014 -530D and can surely use your thread to ask for little more given the fine details written by you.
Are you planning to sell a 1 year old 530d? Why? Please don't! And if you do, hopefully she goes to a BHPian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
That way I can shelve the Laura plan and wife still gets a BMW even though we'll have to park it outside. A quick check of OLX revealed that there is only 1 5 Series (520D) for sale in Goa for 28 L and it looks to be from the dealer itself.
I would only recommend a 6-cylinder to you. Please also include the 525d that was earlier offered with a 6 cylinder engine. I saw innumerable examples for <30 lakhs.

Quote:
Any idea if I can fit the M-Sport kit to the 520 D?
Absolutely. IIRC, the price was 1.5 - 2.0 lakhs for the M-Kit. Steering & paddle shifters are also possible, though what I'd really recommend is a singular focus on finding the right 525d / 530d. Don't buy a 520d. You'll never be as happy with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARR View Post
Hopefully I will have my review up soon, but in the meantime here are teaser pics of my F10. I love this car to bits!!
MEGA! You bought the big daddy 550i. Congratulations & I look forward to your review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
From a used City VTec > Used Civic > and now to a 530D MSport, you are climbing the ladder of life with style!
Thanks!

Quote:
I thought its black till I scrolled to the picture with your brother where it suddenly feels like blue. Nice indeed.
A lot of folk who've seen it in person still think it's black.

Quote:
However, you have mentioned that the 530D gets the 'shadowline' treatment - but I see chrome on the other contender you had considered. Pardon my ignorance, but I think it is only on the M-sport 530D.
Yep, shadowline was introduced on the M-Sport. At the same time, the 520d got even more ugly chrome. Check it out - so tasteless, so excessive.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-2.jpg
Image Source - Motortrend.in

Quote:
Not sure I get what you mention for the auto a/c controls though. I thought the auto air circulation and air flow direction control are part of all ACC designs, even in smaller cars like my Punto
Yes, but not all climate control systems work that way. For instance, my Civic & Sunny don't send air to your feet automatically.

Quote:
However, a removable neck restraint is a very useful safety feature if you are locked inside your car during an accident / emergency situation. Attaching the below Youtube video that explains this
The F10's driver door can unlock even if there is an electrical short circuit.

Quote:
The legroom is nothing like what I expected to see.
Tell me about it. If you ask me what I dislike most about the car, it's this. The cramped rear legroom is the single biggest disadvantage of the 2012+ 5-Series.

Quote:
Personally, I would like to see the Civic make way for a real "hot" hatch. The Abarth Punto or if it sounds too tame for your tastes - the VW Polo GTI should fit the bill just fine.
Well, my Civic is quicker than both of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This report is undoubtedly the benchmark for all reviews on Team-BHP. The proverbial yard-stick, if you will! Incredible attention to detail aside, there is a sense of emotion that comes through while reading the report and that's what sets it apart from the rest. I've noticed this in only a few other reports off late, namely Frankmehta's report on his GT TSI and Deetjohn's Aston Fiesta Martin.
Thank you, Suhaas!

Quote:
it wears the same 5 spoke wheels you find on the M5 and I must say, no other set suits the car as much as they do.
Yeah, those M5 rims are stunning. But I remain a 5-spoke fan. If & when I do swap:

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-s.jpg
Source : 6speedonline.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Its not everyday that a Guru like you buys I car. Believe me, when I found out that you had bought a 530D, I was almost as excited when we were buying our own car. A hearty Congrats on the Bimmer. Wish you lakhs of kms of winding roads. She is a keeper for sure.
Thank you Neel.

Quote:
don't let the Honda go.
I'm sort of sitting on the fence, that's why she isn't gone yet.

Quote:
A question: If you were to pick between the two: your beloved Jeep or your "Beast", which one would you pick?
The Jeep was a gift from Dad; it reminds me of him whenever I go out for a drive. I think you have your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
We too picked up a used 530d msport in January albeit the face lifted one for my father in law. Though I get to drive it less frequently it's the most sporty car I have ever driven and the name beast which you have given her is very apt.
Congratulations! How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
On a different note, thanks to your civic thread and the other confident inspiring threads about pre-worshipped vehicles. I bought a 2 year old yamaha fz1 loaded with 2L worth accessories for around 65% of price of a new one (this happend 2 years back). Also got a 2007 skoda superb 2.8 v6 petrol with just 8000 kms on odo which is in IMMACULATE condition inside out for around 25% of price of a new one.
I am very happy to hear that - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Seems like the ultimate drivers car. The only thing I don't get is why the rear seat room is so poor. I test drove a 5 series back in 2012, and I must say I felt that the rear seat room was rather poor even back then. If it has reduced further, that would put this car out of the selection set for several folks (perhaps that is why all the new E segment luxury cars I see nowadays are either E Classes or A6s).
If you drove one in 2012, odds are that one had the updated seats as well. The 2010 really wasn't bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PravStar View Post
Your in depth analysis with passionate views and suggestions for future buyers have made me to shift my boundaries of my dream car which was earlier in the range of around 15 lakhs and now have almost tripled it. But those boundaries and dream will be achieved with hard work thats for sure.
How about an E60 530d in 15 lakhs? Get them while there are clean examples still around. Believe me, that car is a b-e-a-s-t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringoism View Post
That was a 1989 model my BMW tech friend had picked up very cheap second-hand (<10,000USD, if I remember right).

In North America in those days, (1980's), the ONLY diesel BMW had on offer was the 524d (zero 3/7 series options)
Wasn't the E39 525d the fastest diesel sedan in the world at one time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
Quality is good. like Hyundai Pedals have nice soft rubber flooring which won’t allow your shoes to move away. A 2-min DIY for a long term smile.
Thanks Viren. My personal opinion = they look too fake (especially the font style).

Quote:
P.S. The delivery time is too high.
Yes. Typical of anything you buy on aliexpress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Looks like my prediction came true, though like the Sunny i was guessing the 'pre-worshiped' route would be bypassed and a new one would be bought by you.
You sure got that one spot on.

The Sunny was unique because no pre-worshipped ride at 9 lakhs offered me that kind of space & reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
May i know why this specific preference, Cars from Mercedes, BMW, FIAT have their RPM dials to their right. Do you really mean eyes can easily spot the RPM needle if the DIAL was in the left ?
I guess it's something that you become used to. My first lot of cars with an rpm meter (Lancer, 1st-gen City Vtec, Mercedes C180) all had them on the left side. Just a personal preference - no right or wrong.

Ferrari also prefers it that way

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-4.jpg

Image Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by famousshoes View Post
I was looking out to buy a new Vento automatic or a pre-worshipped Jetta Automatic as a second option. Ive always favoured the looks and power of the Jetta but a new one was beyond my budget and a pre-owned vehicle made me a bit apprehensive. I'm more inspired now after reading your thread thanks!
going into search mode! would greatly appreciate pointers if any,
thanks again!
Jetta, any which day. Tip: Buy a <2 year old example and get the 2 years of extended warranty on it (or buy a >2 year old Jetta with the 4 year warranty in place). 12 lakhs will get you a timeless German tank. Absolutely love the Jetta!

Infinity recently had a 2.xx year old Jetta with 20,000 kms on the clock. Parsi owner who upgraded to a BMW. Asking price was 9.90 lakhs. Looked very clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
The 530d IS the mother of pre worshipped cars. The review must have had folks at the factory going "hey, you sure we got that feature in the car?".
Hahahaha, thanks!

Quote:
You've reached the end of the road for upgrades. The 530d gives you a lot more than you will ever need in a sedan. Welcome to the "upgrade dilemna". There is nothing to beat this, so how do you intend to upgrade?
Let me enjoy my car for a couple of years - we'll discuss the upgrades later. Not worried as the heart is easy to please and falls in love with cars often. I agree with what you are saying though. This size of sedan is perhaps the biggest I'll stick with, unless a monster V8 petrol plays the role of a seductress sometime in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
i just wish people buy more and more such new 6 cylinder beasts so that used car market has enough supply of the same (getting greedy) by 2020, the year i have planned my upgrade.
So true. Frequently, at parties and social outings, the conversation veers to cars. A lot of people want to debate this 'new vs used' funda with me. I never do. My reply to them is simple "Yes, you should keep buying new cars so that guys like me can enjoy a never-ending supply of pre-worshipped cars'.

Though, I must add, the Civic & 530d have made a lot of them converts.

Quote:
I am looking forward to your CIVIC whenever (1-2 months as mentioned) you decide to part with.
Meaning? You'd be interested in buying it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My Team BHP mod intro lists the 530d as my dream car, albeit in alpine white!
I remember that! Car is all yours at the next Mod meet.

Quote:
Despite your misgivings I think carbon black is one of the best colours you could get the Bimmer in.
I've started to like it more....but whenever a white 5-Series passes by, my head unfailingly turns to watch it glide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
It would also be nice if you could share your personal do's and dont's that you did during your purchase.
Whatever I've practised is there in the Team-BHP Used Car Checklist.

Quote:
I noticed the brake rotors 'appear' to have marks, are these scratches of some kind or a mere illusion?
Nothing out of the ordinary there.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 17:21   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, shadowline was introduced on the M-Sport. At the same time, the 520d got even more ugly chrome. Check it out - so tasteless, so excessive.
The chrome is slightly bearable, there's a version with the dashboard and steering wheel in beige, that’s probably the worst factory fitted colour scheme on a BMW. There was a TV review about it and the lady who reviewed it said she liked it because the beige opens out the space and makes the cabin airy . I guess the logical upgrade will be the Omni, the dashboard is nonexistent and the windscreen in your face gives you the feeling of endless space.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 18:35   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Jetta, any which day. Tip: Buy a <2 year old example and get the 2 years of extended warranty on it (or buy a >2 year old Jetta with the 4 year warranty in place). 12 lakhs will get you a timeless German tank. Absolutely love the Jetta!

Infinity recently had a 2.xx year old Jetta with 20,000 kms on the clock. Parsi owner who upgraded to a BMW. Asking price was 9.90 lakhs. Looked very clean.
I rang them up immediately but the car had gone. Apparently went for 9.25 L and the Odo was approx 23k according to the person i talked to. A banging Deal for whoever that picked her up. It was a manual one though and i wouldn't have pursued it :-)
Thank you nonetheless for the tip. Much Appreciated
cheers
Old 31st August 2015, 18:44   #169
BHPian

Congrats GTO... will keep an eye out and hope bumping into you on the Mumbai streets (or the Nashik highway) to check out the beast in person!

I have personally never bought second hand cars but after reading this I actually told my wife yesterday that instead of upgrading to a new Altis (or something on those lines) in a couple of years, we could aim higher with a pre-worshipped car!

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 31st August 2015 at 18:45. Reason: grammar
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 20:17   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very clean, very timeless - a proportionate design like the classic E39
Well GTO, what more can I say that has not already been said. Any appreciation is a cliché. Nevertheless, that's one absolutely fantastic review of a beautiful car that would have easily disturbed the great Vishwamitra from his Tapasya. Even he would then be surprised that it was a pre-worshipped one.

Next point, I think I was getting a bit complacent in my investing career but your review has woken me up to earn that extra dough and buy a 530d in 2018. An alpha of about 45 lakhs in earnings in three years which means 15 lakhs per year is what I need. Here I come BMW, courtesy GTO. By the way, I have gifted myself an Elantra for my hardwork in stock markets for past few years - which meant that I'm no more selling my time for others for money. Anyway, I have become a bit nostalgic. The profile shots of your 530d in that subtle light and great shine is very emotional. Enough of OT, get back to markets.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 21:26   #171
BANNED

Congrats on your new ride GTO
Ps : Didn't consider 328i at all ?
unknown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2015, 22:55   #172
BHPian

Congratulations !. Even when standing still it seems to convey a certain muscular athleticism, especially in this color.
The 530 seems to strike the golden balance across performance, looks and price. I used to drool at the 530d M Sport that is a permanent showpiece in Infinity's workshop in Turbhe.

To make your daily garage entry/exit less nerve racking , it might be useful to fix safety liners on both the walls at a hight where the 530 is widest - quite a few modern basement parking areas have these liners.

Wish you miles and miles of driving pleasure with the 530. It was a pleasure reading the account.
Ravich is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 00:08   #173
BHPian

GTO, I loved your review so much that I read it for the second time now! Wanted to point out a few things you mentioned in your post :
1)The hill descent control is only available on the X-drive (4 wheel drive) F10, so its not even an option on the RWD cars
2)The indian F10's don't come with adjustable suspensions. So when you change from comfort to sport, the steering tightens and the throttle becomes more aggressive but the suspension is the same. You can check if your car has the adjustable suspension by decoding the VIN. It should either have "Dynamic Damping Control" or "Adaptive Drive" option.
3) Your interior color is actually Oyster, not beige. The beige interior is slightly more yellow and the carpets are beige too rather than black.
KARR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 10:23   #174
BHPian

Outstanding review GTO. You have set a new benchmark on how to write reviews. The detailing provided makes for some exciting reading. Thank you!. I never knew that the 530D came with damper control. Was this part of the M kit for the 530D or was it an extra? . Congratulations on your buy and wishing you many kilometres of exciting drives!!

Last edited by slackyboy : 1st September 2015 at 10:41. Reason: spelling.
slackyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 11:11   #175
Senior - BHPian

That's a gorgeous car, GTO! I was test driving a few lightly used 5 series (specifically 550i) recently and almost went for one of them. Ended up buying a 370Z instead - that's another story for another day - but in my opinion the 5 series blows away everything in its segment in terms of handling. Looks the best too in my opinion.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:21   #176
BHPian

Whoa! Car review can't be better than this! Very detailed, informative, excellent photographs too. Truly amazing.

Congrats GTO for your Cadbury delight.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 13:27   #177
BHPian

Hi GTO,
You seem to have outdone yourselves with this review, Congratulations to you and thanks for the lovely thread. As much as I loved reading your thread, it's all those additional details and links to other threads and pictures is what blows my mind. It's this level of attention to detail that has set a benchmark for Team-bhp in general and our Official reviews in particular.
The car looks stunning, wishing you a happy ownership experience and yeah, thank you Cadbury!
I am planning to upgrade in to the premium segment somewhere in end of 2016, I will surely consider a pre-worshipped German like yours.
Cheers,
D.
delta5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 15:54   #178
RAC
BHPian

Congratulations GTO on your 'new' car. A fantastic, detailed review. Loved it. Enjoy your drives.
RAC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2015, 16:37   #179
Senior - BHPian

@gto - I was going through the images and saw this. Are these bruises as a result of fiddling with the central console?

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw530dgto26.jpg
Old 1st September 2015, 18:18   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
@gto - I was going through the images and saw this. Are these bruises as a result of fiddling with the central console?

Attachment 1409525
Those look like water condensation....
KARR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed