Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 19:50   #211
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

First of all let me begin with congratulating you GTO, it's a wonderful review of a wonderful car. I have the f10 530d 2011 in alpine white which my dad uses primarily and I drive it for night rides just to enjoy that delicious torque. I would be more than happy to comment on any questions you have.
I truly believe it looks the classiest in white but black suits the M kitted F10's even more. I personally drive a current gen W 212 FL E 200 which my dad gifted to me around 10 months ago and I am sorry I have been too lazy to write an ownership review of the same, though I have decided to write one after the 12 month service now. (Those who followed my Cruze Ownership report might remember I sold it as I was going to England to study and my dad gifted me the E class after returning to India) and love it to bits , and hence will be happy to also give any comparison between the two. I thankfully have much more comfortable rear seats in my 530d and though the my E beats it, the f10 is more than acceptable.

I am sorry GTO for mixing this thread but I believe it'll be of great help and interest to the Bhpians to have a comparison of the two.

After owning the Cruze, I have pretty much decided I will only buy petrol motors henceforth, don't get me wrong I loved the Cruze, but the ever so present diesel clutter and minor vibration through out the chasis, which is even present in the f10 530d, doesn't cut it for me especially in a luxury vehicle.
A little quick comparison of the F10 vs W212 FL:-

1)Engines :-theres no direct comparison as the E is a 4 cylinder petrol, the 530 is in a different league, its a proper 5 series engine yet to be victim of downsizing. The E class 200 CGI Engine is on its own a very sweet and smooth performer, with unmathced refinement levels and whilst coasting it is virtually like an electric motor and when revved hard, the sweet petrol growl is delightful.

2)Transmission:- the ZF beats the 7 G Tronic Plus hands down .

3)Steering feedback:- I might attract criticism here, but I believe the E class's steering has a much better feel than f10, it's much lighter in the city and weighs up naturally with speed whilst the more stiff chasis helps, the F10's EPS is bit too heavy for Delhi traffic manoeuvring and has an artificial heaviness to it in sports mode or as speed increases.

4)Interior quality:- the F10 is marginally ahead of the W 212 FL, especially the leatherette seats in the top spec E is unacceptable.

5)Exterior looks:- It's a close fight but the f10 is much more graceful and a timeless design. While standing still, it seems to be plunging ahead.

6)Ride quality:- At low speeds the F10 is better but as speeds build I personally prefer the W212 FL, F10 doesn't get stiff enough and this limits the engines potential somebit.

I am attaching two pictures I clicked from my phone.
NOTE:- More than happy to answer any other questions or post comparison pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img_0454.jpg  

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bm-mer.png  

np23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 09:32   #212
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on acquiring an amazing car with a stonker of an engine. To top if off, you got yourself a great deal too.
It's simply too elegant and I guess black is the colour to go for.
Just a question: Are there any reported issues with the ZF Auto box?

The review sets a new benchmark in T-BHP. Rating it a well deserved 5 stars.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 16:30   #213
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I have been lucky enough to have been driven in a 640D Gran Coupe
Ah, the 640d! I see it as a German muscle car. What mind-blowing styling & character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
This car will surely go into the history books of BMW, right along legends like the the E30 M3 or the E38 7-Series.
Top of that list is surely the E39?

Quote:
And more importantly, it is proper black and beige. Not grey-beige, or brown-beige, coffee-beige, or the horrible all-beige you can get in that car.
Quote:
F10 owners around would be deliberately needing to mention 'Short man required' in 'Driver wanted' ads!!

Quote:
BMW should've had the audacity to bring the LWB version down here from China
Who will buy the 7-Series then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
Great to learn that you still have 2 years warranty left
Much longer! I'm all set till year 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Even I was looking for a BMW and finally bought one last month.
Congratulations! Which one? Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katami View Post
I was also considering buying a pre-worshipped BMW 530d (preferably from Deutsche Moteren, Delhi). But i was also enamoured with the latest offering with 360 degree programme. Any suggestions? Buying a brand new BMW 530d for about 40 Lakhs (for 3 years) or buying a pre-worshipped BMW 530d for about 40 Lakhs??
I believe the 360 degree program is a lease (where you don't actually own the car). Still, I'm a big fan of the benefits under leasing for corporates / businessmen.

Can you share the actual numbers here? Lets do an analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
Won't this void the warranty, though?
As long as the tyre size is the same, I don't see why it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
I would be more than happy to comment on any questions you have.
Thanks! Appreciate it.

Quote:
I thankfully have much more comfortable rear seats in my 530d
Yes, the earlier F10s had absolutely no problem with legroom. I was checking my updated seats out yesterday and a rough calculation showed me they take up nearly 2 inches of legroom .

Quote:
the F10's EPS is bit too heavy for Delhi traffic manoeuvring and has an artificial heaviness to it in sports mode or as speed increases.
You should drive the updated 5. BMW has improved the steering over the years. It's now light in the city (though not as super light as the Mercedes) and feel is far better at high speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Just a question: Are there any reported issues with the ZF Auto box?
Problems are rarely reported. It's nowhere as widespread as the VW DSG's troubles. Honestly, VAG should just dump its DSG and get the ZF instead, at least in all of its expensive cars (including the Superb). The ZF shifts like a dream.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 16:47   #214
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the latest addition to your garage and as you mention when moving one of our threads from the Assembly Section - Thanks for sharing!!

Excellent review and I actually took a week to read the different sections. The detailing of all the features was superb.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 16:57   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As long as the tyre size is the same, I don't see why it should.
That's what i thought.

But A couple of people in my city decided to change to regular tubeless tyres and the workshops told them that the warranty was void!
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 17:37   #216
BHPian

Absolutely awesome review GTO !

Only a thoroughbred, passionate & highly informed petrohead could write such an extensive report. I am yet to go through it completely as i had to rush out some place, but my god , what an analysis ! You have dissected the machine & i promise the co fella's would learn a thing or two after going through it.

Cheers on your proud possession !
Nagesh Bhatt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 19:14   #217
BHPian

Amazing review GTO! Was comtemplating buying a new 530d a while back before the new gen is released and must say your detailed analysis made me start looking at the used car market before deciding anything.

Congrats on your purchase and happy driving!
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 20:32   #218
BHPian

I have been reading tonnes and tonnes of car reviews ever since I have got access to broadband internet and no site/forum anywhere in the world, as far as I have seen dishes out useful real world reviews of cars like TBHP. Your 530d review has to be the cherry on top of all the best TBHP reviews list. Job well done.

I honestly thought you would get a preworshipped boxster/911 though since a Porsche as a brand is the obvious real upgrade over the big three, and you did mention about looking for one on some thread I think? Guess practicality side took over?

But that aside I want to know one thing. What would you think is the better buy both as a car and financially, a 1.5 year old 535i/530i/528i or your 1.5 year old 530d? Lets just say that the petrol car is as reliable as the diesel and this car is brought as pure recreational vehicle and hence really low running. Does it still make sense to get the diesel?
nakul0888 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 23:25   #219
BHPian

Quote:

Top of that list is surely the E39?

Who will buy the 7-Series then?
Well... The E39!! How the HELL did I even miss out mentioning the E39? That M5 especially, was a maniac. Among the purest of BMW's out there, I'd like to say.

I have really fond memories of driving one, custom bodywork and all, throughout evenings on the lush countryside roads of USA. It was an absolute hoot. And the engine note was sheer music. I'm pretty sure I did 0-60 in less than 5 seconds. Also really floored it like crazy on an airstrip once, years ago. Can't forget the moment.
But Alas! It was all just in a tricked out GTA... :banghead

And as for the history, yeah, the E39 could be at the top spot, but there are other amazing cars as well, like the X6, the gorgeous E24 635 CSI, the E92 M3, the pocket rocket 1M coupe, etc.
But ultimately, after a lot of thought process going into the matter, I've finally decided to give the position of pride to the 5-Series GT, on OBC minority quota!!

The 7-Series is for the very rich, status-conscious folks, who would see themselves in nothing but the very greatest of cars out there. These guys just simply fork out lakhs on optional accessories and stuff. (And surprisingly, most still buy base diesels on 1.5 crore limousines!)
And I'm not sure the 5 even with the extended wheelbase would become as luxurious overall as the 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
What is the better buy both as a car and financially, a 1.5 year old 535i/530i/528i or your 1.5 year old 530d? Lets just say that the petrol car is as reliable as the diesel and this car is brought as pure recreational vehicle and hence really low running. Does it still make sense to get the diesel?
If it's a recreational vehicle, and running cost is not an issue, it would be the 535i (for me at least) any day. Nothing quite like a German petrol to thrill the senses. And a turbo petrol straight-six at that would be really really sweet. And it would Rev harder, and sound awesome at that. No diesel clatter worries.
But, that ONLY when the running is really low. Or fuel expenses would be pretty crazy all the time.
If it's a daily driver, it'd simply have to be the diesel. And when the motor is as good as the 530d's, it would be an almost equally awesome deal.

Last edited by mukul32 : 5th September 2015 at 23:40.
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2015, 07:12   #220
BHPian

Congrats GTO on getting an excellent car and a review a car like it deserves!

There's something about a BMW, a certain "je ne sais quoi" that inspires such prose to be written

(not to disparage other makes or owners of other makes- I've owned a couple of BMW's in the past including a 528xi as well as nearly a dozen other makes and models over the past several years)
autonarr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 09:36   #221
BHPian

This is such a beautiful car! If only I could afford one of these. OR if only I could get a similar car in my budget. A good, clean, awesomely fast car in 4-8lakhs with known sources who will help maintain it at top notch condition for next 3-4 years.

If only!

I hope you enjoy this car to the fullest and drive safe!

On a different note, I would always like to be a part of a group of people who can organize a second hand car setup that ensures 'fun to drive cars' only with assured ASS and parts availability. All brands. Like a new car manufacturer. People will flock to buy such beauties if they have peace of mind. Of course, building a brand of reliability will take time. Like toyota has. Of course toyota is a manufacturer and we will only be sellers but a sellers reliability also counts - - - "yaar agar yahaan se bmw,audi,skoda second hand khareedo toh assured good car and they will only give full servicing on regular basis like an authorized service center would with all original parts etc AND their service levels are like Toyotas!! "

Does something like this exist? Are there threads existing for this info/discussion?
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 11:07   #222
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Too much chrome on the grille. When she goes in for a service, I'm going to shadowline the front grille on the lines of the M5. Chrome outline + black inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_op View Post
But A couple of people in my city decided to change to regular tubeless tyres and the workshops told them that the warranty was void!
Confirmed with BMW & the dealer, both. As long as the tyre size is the same, the warranty remains in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
Amazing review GTO! Was comtemplating buying a new 530d a while back before the new gen is released and must say your detailed analysis made me start looking at the used car market before deciding anything.
Just be a little patient and a good example will land into your lap. IMHO, a new 530d isn't worth 70 - 80 big ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I have been reading tonnes and tonnes of car reviews ever since I have got access to broadband internet and no site/forum anywhere in the world, as far as I have seen dishes out useful real world reviews of cars like TBHP. Your 530d review has to be the cherry on top of all the best TBHP reviews list.
Thanks!

Quote:
I honestly thought you would get a preworshipped boxster/911 though since a Porsche as a brand is the obvious real upgrade over the big three, and you did mention about looking for one on some thread I think?
Never say never .

Quote:
What would you think is the better buy both as a car and financially, a 1.5 year old 535i/530i/528i or your 1.5 year old 530d?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
If it's a recreational vehicle, and running cost is not an issue, it would be the 535i (for me at least) any day.
This one is easy to answer. The 530d, simply because you won't get a 1.5 year old 535i! It wasn't in production then.

I believe the 535i was only sold in 2010 (maybe 2011, but not entirely sure). All the 535s I came across were ~5 years old. Though the prices were tempting (20 - 25 lakhs), I wasn't keen on buying a BMW without warranty & an example from the first model year.

If the 535i was still in production, it would be one heck of a sedan. At the end though, I think I'd still go for the 530d. Torque, practicality, robust & long tank range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
A good, clean, awesomely fast car in 4-8lakhs with known sources who will help maintain it at top notch condition for next 3-4 years.
Why don't you buy a Laura 1.8 TSI? Meets all the requirements. It's a lovely car to buy used.

Quote:
On a different note, I would always like to be a part of a group of people who can organize a second hand car setup that ensures 'fun to drive cars' only with assured ASS and parts availability.
As long as you follow all the advice on Team-BHP, you don't need such a setup. With the right precautions, checks & audits, a pre-owned car can be as safe a purchase as a new car.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 13:05   #223
Senior - BHPian

I'm nearly two weeks late but nevertheless - Congratulations for creating the most comprehensive ownership report ever; and for the 530D too! You have raised the bar not only for ownership reviews but for official reviews as well. It will be very difficult for others to match this level of detail (I'm talking about me here). I think this thread is a must read for all those associated with a 5-series - owners, dealers, sales persons, marketing guys etc. It just brings to light so many minute details which I'm sure most of them would have never known or ignored altogether.

Ever since the first time when you sent me the pictures (on Whatsapp) of taking delivery of this car, to the time you speak about this car in a sentence, I can see that joy and pride of owning a car that you have been longing for. Once again, many congratulations. May it serve you for thousands of trouble-free and high-revving drives
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 14:10   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just be a little patient and a good example will land into your lap. IMHO, a new 530d isn't worth 70 - 80 big ones.
Hi,

Just so we have a realistic benchmark on what these things should cost, what did your particular model cost you? 35? 40? Or more?

I see really widely varying prices on such cars when I check online. Just wanted some sort of informed buyer ratification to what is a sensible price.

thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 20:24   #225
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations GTO! Absolutely droolworthty beast to drive and own.

Amazingly detailed report with fantastic pics. "Quite comprehensive" is an understatement. I don't think it leaves out anything to imagination. Anything and everything one wants to know about a 530D is in there. I doubt even official reviews of new launches are so detailed.

I have been inside these luxury sedans just once or twice in my life and always wanted to understand what are the thousand little things that go in a luxury sedans to deserve their price-tag. Reading this report took me a while, 8 days to be precise. But after going through it in detail, I now know all those 1000 little things that makes the 530d such a amazing car.

Congratulations once again. Do drive safe and enjoy the vehicle to the fullest.

Last edited by SDP : 8th September 2015 at 20:28.
SDP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed