Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2015, 09:48   #256
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

GTO, Could you provide some details on this models exhaust system, does it have a dual cat con unit integrated into it ?

To tell about a off topic episode about a 525D, i happened to witness a 525d parked in a fast food eatery with the owners of the car deciding to stay inside (Of course with Air con ON) and were served snack to their car door step. All the 45 mins they spent their, the vehicle was in idle with its thermostat kicking ON/OFF. I was casually glancing the vehicle and happened to go to the rear side of the car and to my surprise could not experience any tinge of the exhaust gas for example, smell of Sulphur but all i experienced was hot exhaust air smelling like in car deodorizer.

How come a diesel exhaust gas be so clean smelling ? Just wondering how come exhaust gas smell contain a type of dull fragrance to it, when it s all supposed to be made of a concoction of burnt hydro carbons.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 19th September 2015 at 10:01.
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 09:50   #257
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Congratulations GTO! Excellent write up and that is one stunner of a car!

Wish you many happy miles in the beast.
Thanks Amitoj!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A quick question, Are you following the "Idling Rule" for your 530d ?
Religiously .

- Short idle after startup / before shutdown

- Easy revvs for a little time after startup / before shutdown

- Never driving with the start / stop feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
GTO, Could you provide some details on this models exhaust system, does it have a dual cat con unit integrated into it ?
Where did you get the information that it has a dual cat-con?

Quote:
To tell about a off topic i happened to witness a bmw 525d parked in a fast food eatery with the owner of the car were served snack to their cars and the car was in idle for 45 mins. I casually glanced and went to the rear side of the car and could not smell any sulphur from its exhaust but its in car deo like smell.
Come to think of it, I've never seen visible smoke come out of the exhaust. And when parking in the garage, the smell hasn't ever bothered me.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2015 at 09:54.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 14:28   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Come to think of it, I've never seen visible smoke come out of the exhaust. And when parking in the garage, the smell hasn't ever bothered me.
Believe it or not, I've never seen any smoke from any BMW diesel. Not even a tiny amount when a vehicle downshifts. I've seen smoke on Mercs, Audis, LRs and even Jags. Surprising!
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 15:38   #259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Believe it or not, I've never seen any smoke from any BMW diesel. Not even a tiny amount when a vehicle downshifts. I've seen smoke on Mercs, Audis, LRs and even Jags. Surprising!
As my C220 grew old, I used to see some smoke when accelerating hard (but not when it was new). Lets see how the 530d behaves once she puts on the miles.

Quote:
Additionally, there are a lot of cars that I have to drive for testing & Team-BHP reviews. I'd say the Bimmer will run between 7,000 - 10,000 kms a year tops.
Here's what I meant: This weekend, the 5 will be sitting idle in the garage. Reason = Have to take the test TUV300 out on the highway.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 15:54   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen many 320D's smoking like crazy.
Just the other day i saw a 520 smoking a bit while accelerating.
But yes my friends 320 doesn't smoke at all under acceleration.
So i guess it all about how you take care of your car.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 17:54   #261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
320d/520d are known for blowing their turbo's since the 5 sec idling rule has not been observed. The turbo seals are blown. white smoke means trouble. black smoke means the seals are failing
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 21:13   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you get the information that it has a dual cat-con?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-5-Seri...-/130774063974

I see here two chambers as per above Ad, Maybe i understood it wrong.

Quote:
I was pin-pointing to the smell in specific, i never saw a speck of smoke bellowing out, the vehicle was idle all the 45 mins & exhaust gas felt pretty hot but the smell of it was like that of a expensive muted in car fragrance. Could it be because of extended idling i am not sure.

I read you mentioning your vehicle cabin's smell resembling that of a 5 star hotel suite, now imagine that fragrance emanating in a muted way from your exhaust air, that s what i encountered and wondering how can both mix.

Request to please delete this post if it spoiling the relevance of this thread.
sriramr9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2015, 21:13   #263
BHPian

Im so sorry for being late to the party GTO, a heart congratulations on your beast. What an awesome engine mated so such a great chassis though if you ask me a 330d would have been something else wouldn't it? Anyways wishing you tons and tons of happy miles ahead with the beast.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 11:17   #264
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
320d/520d are known for blowing their turbo's since the 5 sec idling rule has not been observed.
Definitely down to how you maintain your car. @ Ajmat: guess you meant 60 second rule, not merely 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
but the smell of it was like that of a expensive muted in car fragrance. Could it be because of extended idling i am not sure.
Are you sure there wasn't someone with heavy perfume who walked by ? It seems unlikely that the by-product of diesel combustion would smell like a fragrance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Im so sorry for being late to the party GTO, a heart congratulations on your beast. What an awesome engine mated so such a great chassis though if you ask me a 330d would have been something else wouldn't it?
Thanks! You can say that again. This engine in a smaller + tighter package would be something special.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 16:45   #265
Senior - BHPian

Highly recommended a 530d M sport to a friend after going through your comprehensive review and here it is...

He bought it in the trademark BMW Blue with Oyster Grey(?) interiors. Looks smashing!
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-img20150923wa0003.jpg  

9thsphinx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 07:47   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Come to think of it, I've never seen visible smoke come out of the exhaust.
Quote:
On a lighter note, who knows there could be a dupe device that redirects the exhaust through the side / front or even more conveniently onto the Volkswagen TDI passing by !!

On a serious note, after the recent scandal the respect for BMW has grown in my heart. Somehow i can't say that's true with a Merc.
super.cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 09:48   #267
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
He bought it in the trademark BMW Blue with Oyster Grey(?) interiors. Looks smashing!
Looks smoking hot . Congrats to your friend. Would be great if you could share some driving impressions & observations from your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super.cars View Post
On a lighter note, who knows there could be a dupe device that redirects the exhaust through the side / front or even more conveniently onto the Volkswagen TDI passing by !!

Quote:
On a serious note, after the recent scandal the respect for BMW has grown in my heart. Somehow i can't say that's true with a Merc.
Agreed on BMW. But what wrong did Mercedes do? I'm 100% sure they would clear any emissions test as well.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 10:08   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed on BMW. But what wrong did Mercedes do? I'm 100% sure they would clear any emissions test as well.
It must be my bias towards BMW since i am yet to fall in love with any Mercedes. Mercedes have been the forerunner in bringing high tech to the cars, so i'am sure they must have taken care of something as fundamental as emission norms.
Old 24th September 2015, 13:13   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, both BMW and Mercedes are not affected because they carry the 'urea' fix at an extra cost per car as well as extra maintenance for their diesels. VW touted the malicious software 'cheat' as an advance they made in their engine tech.

It is supposed to affect almost 11m cars worldwide and about half mil in US alone. The problem is actually even going to be a big headache to fix - if they now reflash the ECM to correctly, their advertised power/torque figures go down the tube and they will be exposed to customer lawsuits. If they do not do this, then in US they can actually cancel the car's registration over pollution norms. If they do the 'urea' fix, that requires additional hardware and software and space to put the hardware in. Most other countries will also now wake up to this. Only probably in India, nobody may be bothered. It is actually a more serious issue than Maggi IMO. You and me are breathing more polluted air with every Audi/VW/Skoda diesel on the roads.

I guess one could see this philosophy in VW in their casual approach to Indian operations across all their companies - Audi, VW and Skoda. Once other countries wake up to this massive scale of intentional cheating and malicious intent by VW, I predict VW is dead and will file for bankruptcy.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 13:34   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Hefty kerb weight & mad torque result in a tyre life of merely 20,000 - 25,000 kms. Continental runflats are due for a change soon. I'll be getting regular Michelin / Yokohama tyres:
Hi GTO! Does the flat tyre monitor continue to work if the tyres are changed to regular ones from the run-flats? I am currently running my third set of run-flats on my 525i and am definitely not going to make the same mistake the 4th time. However, if the monitor starts flashing all sorts of errors with regular tyres I may have to re-consider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks