Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2015, 11:17   #301
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My Pre-Worshipped Beast

The F10 is a fantastic car, but a few bits in the other wise premium package are a bit of a let down. Here is what i've observed in our MY'11 520d

- The HVAC controls, the paint fades and smudges thru use. (careful use by a single owner, no driver)

- The drivers side leather seat is worse for the wear in just 20,000kms.

- Seatbelt mechanism rattles.

- RHS tweeter malfunction which can be heard when the parking sensors are active.

- LHS seat back rattles

- Fuel lid mechanism malfunction, does not open, or lock !

- Exposed seatbelt electronic cabling.

This is a car that sees 75% city use and 25% highway use... driven extremely sedately and is the baby of the house. The only self induced damage is a weak battery due to sparing use.

The E60 may not age as well as the F10 in terms of aesthetic appeal, it is certainly built better with less compromise on quality of components.

These are extremely small glitches and don't matter that much in terms of overall ownership, but still touch a nerve occasionally considering the segment.
Ash_vtec is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 12:18   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The HVAC controls, the paint fades and smudges thru use. (careful use by a single owner, no driver)

- The drivers side leather seat is worse for the wear in just 20,000kms.
Even I experienced white paint / print on control wearing but they offered me to change the panel without charge - I sold my car so never checked what happened later .

I will say Seat + Door knee rest area gets worn and I was offered a free change for both as well . In my X6 - 5th year of ownership got my Driver Seat changed under warranty as leather had gone lose at some places - they will not repair it and got the complete seat bottom portion with sensors . I will suggest you to take up this with your service advisor .
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 14:37   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Even I experienced white paint / print on control wearing but they offered me to change the panel without charge - I sold my car so never checked what happened later .

I will say Seat + Door knee rest area gets worn and I was offered a free change for both as well . In my X6 - 5th year of ownership got my Driver Seat changed under warranty as leather had gone lose at some places - they will not repair it and got the complete seat bottom portion with sensors . I will suggest you to take up this with your service advisor .
Apologies for the off topic, sadly Navnit Motors just shrug their shoulders.

Also, I'm quite wary of the their fitment vis a vis a factory fit because of late their service quality isn't up to the mark. Grossly overpriced services and substandard attention to detail & care.
Old 29th October 2015, 19:11   #304
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My kind of guy - someone who believes in pre-worshipped Germans. Just heard that Azim Premji got himself a pre-owned E-Class

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-azimpremjiinhispreownedmercedesbenzeclass.jpg
Image Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash_vtec View Post
The F10 is a fantastic car, but a few bits in the other wise premium package are a bit of a let down.
Really? I think the quality of material is top notch...way better than the E60. In fact, I find the quality to be superior to the E-Class too.

Quote:
The HVAC controls, the paint fades and smudges thru use.
No such issue on my car. Hopefully they fixed it in the later models.

Quote:
The drivers side leather seat is worse for the wear in just 20,000kms.
I completely agree! Even my driver's seat has worn out more than it should be in some areas. Will push for warranty replacement when she goes in for a service.

Quote:
Seatbelt mechanism rattles.
From my review:

Quote:
Tip for 5-Series owners - slide that clip (& seatbelt buckle) higher up, else it'll make a clanking sound from hitting the B-Pillar's plastic cladding:

Quote:
LHS seat back rattles
Check whether the hard plastic cover has gone loose? It had in our 525d media car. Notice gap in the cover behind the driver's seat:

Quote:
This is a car that sees 75% city use and 25% highway use... driven extremely sedately and is the baby of the house.
How many kms up on this car? If it's not had a breakdown, that's a big plus over its direct competitors which can be seriously unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
In my X6 - 5th year of ownership got my Driver Seat changed under warranty as leather had gone lose at some places - they will not repair it and got the complete seat bottom portion with sensors .
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 20:06   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Really? I think the quality of material is top notch...way better than the E60. In fact, I find the quality to be superior to the E-Class too.
Its plusher without a doubt, but issues like this and the fuel lid failing etc make me feel its not as robustly put together, and may not age as well. Luxurious but tiny niggles.

Quote:
No such issue on my car. Hopefully they fixed it in the later models.
I should imagine so. Will try clicking a pic.

Quote:
I completely agree! Even my driver's seat has worn out more than it should be in some areas. Will push for warranty replacement when she goes in for a service.
Apparently normal wear & tear

Quote:
From my review:
This doesn't seem to be the case, rather from the housing/pulley even when the front passenger has fastened the seat belt. Will update after the next service.

Quote:
Check whether the hard plastic cover has gone loose? It had in our 525d media car. Notice gap in the cover behind the driver's seat:
I did and it seems to emanate from a spring or motor (?) within.

Quote:
How many kms up on this car? If it's not had a breakdown, that's a big plus over its direct competitors which can be seriously unreliable.
close to 25k kms. Sparingly used

Last edited by GTO : 30th October 2015 at 12:25. Reason: Inserting QUOTE tags. Please use quote the right way
Ash_vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2015, 22:27   #306
BHPian

I had the aircon button fading issue too, got it changed at the dealership under warranty. I think it happens due to the oil of the hands. I have seen many cars with the faded start stop and electronic brake button too
KARR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:11   #307
BHPian

Dear GTO,
need your advise on buying a preworshipped A6. Current car is 2013 Jetta. Recently Audi approved plus advertised big time and my interest to look for 3.0 TDI took me to search for one there. Surprisingly i found one in ahmedabad. It is 2011 A6 3.0 TDI V6 diesel. AAP (Audi approved plus) gives 2 years unlimited kms warranty. The car is priced at mouthwatering (may be just me) 27 lac on road. The only problem i see is that it has 88500 on ODO. Do you recommend, if yes what are the pointers that i should be aware about?

As such, i am happy with my jetta with just 43000 on ODO. But this search for bigger engine makes me hunt around.
Old 3rd November 2015, 19:24   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
. The only problem i see is that it has 88500 on ODO. Do you recommend, if yes what are the pointers that i should be aware about?
With that kind of ODO reading I suggest you not to invest in this one. 88500 is a lot for used Audi. You'll be facing sky high bills and the 3.0 fun wouldn't last long.
But in case you are really keen on going for this one, get it inspected thoroughly at Audi and check the service records too.

Regards,
Shreyak
Old 4th November 2015, 08:23   #309
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It is 2011 A6 3.0 TDI V6 diesel.
No man, I would strongly discourage you from this one.

1. 2011 was the first year of production for the C7 generation. It takes the Germans at least 2 years to sort out the initial glitches & design defects.

2. As I've said before, I wouldn't mind owning a car with 80,000 kms as long as those 80,000 kms are my own. But I wouldn't buy someone else's 80,000 kms. My personal limit is 40,000 kms when buying pre-owned.

3. You are just asking for trouble, and the potential of expensive replacements is very high. Yes, they are giving you a 2 year warranty. Even if they carry out the repairs for free, wouldn't you be inconvenienced by the time that the car is off the road? And what about after 2 years? Are you willing to pay steep 6-figure bills ever so often?

4. 27 lakhs is hardly a good price. This car is worth 20 lakhs maximum.

My recommendation - You are happy with your Jetta. Keep it for a little longer. It's TOO EARLY to sell your Jetta.

In the meantime, keep screening the market. You'll easily get a <40k kms E350 / 530d / A6 3.0 for the same money.

Last edited by GTO : 4th November 2015 at 10:19.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 14:40   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear GTO,
need your advise on buying a preworshipped A6. Current car is 2013 Jetta. Recently Audi approved plus advertised big time and my interest to look for 3.0 TDI took me to search for one there. Surprisingly i found one in ahmedabad. It is 2011 A6 3.0 TDI V6 diesel. AAP (Audi approved plus) gives 2 years unlimited kms warranty. The car is priced at mouthwatering (may be just me) 27 lac on road. The only problem i see is that it has 88500 on ODO. Do you recommend, if yes what are the pointers that i should be aware about?

As such, i am happy with my jetta with just 43000 on ODO. But this search for bigger engine makes me hunt around.

I went through Audi's preowned list too a couple of days ago. I remember them having a handful of examples of the 3 V6, have a look again.

Ofcourse you might need to look in other cities but hardly matters as long as the specimen is good and the running is lesser than the one you found. Although i think their prices are on the higher side so bargain. That is ofcourse assuming the stated prices are negotiable.
Old 5th November 2015, 10:56   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
No man, I would strongly discourage you from this one.

1. 2011 was the first year of production for the C7 generation. It takes the Germans at least 2 years to sort out the initial glitches & design defects.

My recommendation - You are happy with your Jetta. Keep it for a little longer. It's TOO EARLY to sell your Jetta.

In the meantime, keep screening the market. You'll easily get a <40k kms E350 / 530d / A6 3.0 for the same money.
thank you so much guys for providing your quick inputs. Special thanks to GTO for making me love my Jetta. Now i am much more settled in my thought process and gonna keep my jetta for another 2 years. The kind of cars, which are gonna be launched in next 2 years (Jaguar XE, new A4 and 3 series etc), waiting does make a lot of sense.

Thanks PlatzdaTurbo. You are really lucky to have best of everything (size and displacement).
Old 12th November 2015, 17:30   #312
BHPian

Pre loved BMW 5 series - Help me buy one!

Hi All,

I have just moved to Delhi, and after a lot of thought, i'm looking to buy a BMW 5 series; reasons for a 5:

a. Spend 3 hours in the car everyday being driven, it's spacious in the back, will be easy to use the laptop.

b. Drive to nearby places almost every weekend. Hopefully this will increase with the new car.

c. Speed: god damn i love it just like everyone here.

d. In any other city, it's usually what you talk about and not who you are, unfortunately im not an academician, a prodigy etc. therefore need crutches to move around in Delhi; aka brand value.

My problems:
a. Options: I don't know anyone in showrooms nor do i have friends who are enthusiasts. (To be honest, don't really want to strike up a conversation about used cars with most people). Therefore i need options of cars, so far carwale, cartrade, cardekho has been disappointing.

b. Selection: I don't know anyone in the automotive industry in Delhi, i don't have any trusted mechanics or garages whom i can turn to for diagnosis or decision.

What i wish from this brilliant community:
Tell me to: "go give Z amount to Mr. X and he'll give you the best car."

I know that's unreasonable, but seriously if you could help me with a few options and a few trusted dealers and mechanics, it would be great!
Or if you/ someone you know wants to sell their 5 series.

Here's hoping to become a more involved member on this kick ass community!

Thanks!
Old 13th November 2015, 01:45   #313
VSD
BHPian

Re: Pre loved BMW 5 series - Help me buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidzler15 View Post
a. Spend 3 hours in the car everyday being driven, it's spacious in the back, will be easy to use the laptop.

b. Drive to nearby places almost every weekend. Hopefully this will increase with the new car.

c. Speed: god damn i love it just like everyone here.

d. In any other city, it's usually what you talk about and not who you are, unfortunately im not an academician, a prodigy etc. therefore need crutches to move around in Delhi; aka brand value.

My problems:
a. Options: I don't know anyone in showrooms nor do i have friends who are enthusiasts. (To be honest, don't really want to strike up a conversation about used cars with most people). Therefore i need options of cars, so far carwale, cartrade, cardekho has been disappointing.

b. Selection: I don't know anyone in the automotive industry in Delhi, i don't have any trusted mechanics or garages whom i can turn to for diagnosis or decision.

Thanks!
You can start by looking at few in the BMW Pre-owned selection, they do offer warranty for their cars, although they're expensive than market price. Showroom cars are usually sold to make way for new ones. Audi delhi south also had one 5-series for sale under audi approved, they shall be ready to let it go at good price, with some negotiation.

Have you already made up your mind about the 5-series or you are okay with some other 6-cylinder options. I've a known selling his 2011 E350d, done 45k kms. Clean car, mostly chauffeur driven in the city, DL registered.

Last edited by VSD : 13th November 2015 at 01:47.
VSD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2015, 10:30   #314
BHPian

Re: Pre loved BMW 5 series - Help me buy one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
You can start by looking at few in the BMW Pre-owned selection, they do offer warranty for their cars, although they're expensive than market price. Showroom cars are usually sold to make way for new ones. Audi delhi south also had one 5-series for sale under audi approved, they shall be ready to let it go at good price, with some negotiation.

Have you already made up your mind about the 5-series or you are okay with some other 6-cylinder options. I've a known selling his 2011 E350d, done 45k kms. Clean car, mostly chauffeur driven in the city, DL registered.
Turbanator advised me to start with the showrooms, going there tomorrow, will start with the one you mentioned (thanks for the lead) and update the situation on this thread.
I'm ok with E and other options also, if it's coming from you guys! How do you suggest I go forward with it?

Can't thank you enough for the great leads man! Let's buy me a car!
Old 13th November 2015, 11:59   #315
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It's good to see BMW's condition-based service intervals working as intended. What is it? Basically, BMWs don't have a fixed service interval (e.g. 1 year / 10,000 kms). Rather, based on your driving style & conditions, the system calculates when the car needs a service.

Benefit? Service your car when it's required (not before). As an example, my 530d was serviced last in October 2014. If it was any other manufacturer with their fixed 1 year service interval, I would've had to send her in October 2015. But guess what - the system tells me I still have another 4 months / 2,000 kms to go.

We all know that highway driving is less stressful on the car than city driving. I just returned from a 500 kms highway trip, but the 'service due' counter went down by only 200 kms .

Quote:
Condition Based Service (CBS).

The intelligent maintenance system CBS permanently monitors oil levels and the degree of wear and tear on individual components. It also checks the time/mileage recommendations for fixed services. It analyses this data and tells you when a service is next due.

Data can be checked at a glance on your Info Display, which automatically gives you four weeks' notice. The iDrive Control Display gives you an exact information on which component needs a check. So you can plan your service appointments well in advance and avoid any unnecessary maintenance work.
Source
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks