Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2015, 17:18   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The ZF 8-speed has evolved so much that there's really no advantage that a dual-clutch offers over it. Heck, Audi themselves agree. The new S4 / RS4, RS7 and a lot more Audis to come are going to get the ZF 8-speed.
There's a reason why the ZF is the most used gearbox among premium cars...across brands.
Could not agree more with you, this 8 speed ZF is just a brilliant all rounder. I get to drive a Q3 regularly and while the upshifts are faster, i found the ZF 8 to be a much more precise shifting gearbox at all speeds and even the downshift response time is better when demanded. It is a much more reliable gearbox with VAG unable to solve their DSG gremlins, the all new Q7 also ditches the in house DSG for ZF 8. North American Audi A4, A6 all come with the ZF gearbox.

How is your car doing? Must be close to its scheduled service by now, these cars just love highways. I use my 320D in city and it is a task saving it from unruly bikers, waste of so much power and dynamics trundling around at 30-40, better to engage sports on your highway stretch and enjoy the turbo diesel surge.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 11:50   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The S-Tronic / DSG is a superb + quick gearbox, no doubt. However, the ZF is superior. Because of the torque converter, start-off and driving around at low rpms is seamless. Unlike the S-Tronic / DSG. The S-Tronic / DSG has a lot more reported failures, with countries even forcing VW to run a recall + offer 10 year warranties on them.

Are the DSG / S-Tronic issues solved? I don't think so. Take a look at Sahil's RS5 thread. It's been to the shop twice in <12,000 kms for the gearbox.

Then, there's that additional 8th cog that leads to unbelievably relaxed cruising (100 kph is seen at only 1,250 rpm in 8th gear, while 120 kph is at ~1,500 rpm).

The ZF 8-speed has evolved so much that there's really no advantage that a dual-clutch offers over it. Heck, Audi themselves agree. The new S4 / RS4, RS7 and a lot more Audis to come are going to get the ZF 8-speed.

There's a reason why the ZF is the most used gearbox among premium cars...across brands.

If you read my post, I am not even contesting the above facts. Heck, my own next car might have an 8-speed ZF so nothing against it.

There is absolutely no contest in terms of reliability. The DSG has surely given people a royal scare and its far from a winner in terms of reliability. The only probable consolation is 'strictly in relative terms' it might be a few notches better than what it WAS. That's all. But these facts wernt raised in the above posts were they? It was merely about the sheer genius of the box itself.

But like I said, my retort wasn't about this at all. It was simply underlining what you mentioned in your post ie it is a superb and lightning quick gearbox so its surely not 'left behind' by any other box where sheer technology is concerned.

So, when it doesn't fail an S-tronic in its various avatars in Audis,Porsches, Lambos etc remains the ultimate box as far as I'm concerned in sheer work craft. Personally, for these reasons its superior to the zf.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 1st January 2016 at 12:12.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2016, 09:51   #363
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
even the downshift response time is better when demanded

Quote:
these cars just love highways...better to engage sports on your highway stretch and enjoy the turbo diesel surge.
On a road-trip this long weekend. Pic taken on 1st January. These cars are built for the open road.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20160101_131714.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
If you read my post...

...But these facts wernt raised in the above posts were they?

...But like I said
It's very clear that I have read your post as my reply is more detailed and has a lot more helpful information than yours did. So, do the rest of us a favour and curb that tone of yours on Team-BHP. There's no place for that kind of attitude on this forum. We like keeping it nice & polite here. Thanks.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 10:16   #364
BHPian

8-speed ZF is probably the only reason i would ever pick a bimmer. As they say if you want to drive 100 miles/hr buy a bimmer but if you want to go 100 miles buy a merc.

3er is the only car (within reachable budget) to offer that gem gearbox, as mentioned by GTO, 120 kmph at 1500 rpm is what makes it worth. Plus whenever you need a push, just press your right leg and things can change in seconds. Looking forward to Jaguar XE this year, coming with the same 8-speed ZF.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 12:18   #365
BHPian

Quote:
17 kpl from a 250 BHP 1,700 kilo 6-cylinder sedan!
That is truly awesome engineering prowess, no? Power when you want it, frugal when you want it to be! Kudos to BMW!
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 15:02   #366
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
That is truly awesome engineering prowess, no? Power when you want it, frugal when you want it to be! Kudos to BMW!
Undoubtedly . Technology these days can define physics. What I think contributed to it:

- The lean ECO mode & engine map.

- Super tall 8th gear and ECO mode's hurry in getting to it.

- Smooth & seamless throttle input (sleeping passengers).

- 0.25 drag coefficient.

- Smart alternator (disengages under acceleration).

- The cold weather outside. 12 degrees, hence making it light work for the air-con compressor.

- Cold temperature = denser air = superior combustion.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 23:10   #367
mxh
BHPian

What an amazing car. Love the photo of the BMW on the side of the open highway. I would choose a nice low slung, fast, safe sedan any day over a lumbering SUV. IMHO acceleration and handling itself contribute hugely to safety which can prevent a disaster from even occurring in the first place. I guess you've taken the all expenses paid maintenance plan, but how's the maintenance cost of a BMW without such a plan? Did you have any unexpected expenses recently? Need to start saving for one of these beauties
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 07:55   #368
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
I would choose a nice low slung, fast, safe sedan any day over a lumbering SUV.
Likewise! Give me a sedan over an SUV any day!

Quote:
I guess you've taken the all expenses paid maintenance plan, but how's the maintenance cost of a BMW without such a plan?
I've taken the extended warranty only, and not the full service plan. Will keep updating this thread with service costs as & when she goes in.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th January 2016, 21:34   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
What an amazing car. Love the photo of the BMW on the side of the open highway. I would choose a nice low slung, fast, safe sedan any day over a lumbering SUV.
Quote:
Likewise! Give me a sedan over an SUV any day!
Hey guys, you just made me feel bad for making my parents buy a X3
I think one of the major factors contributing towards our choice is the practicality it offers (especially its GC) which I believe is a must in Gurgaon roads. Rest aside, my dream car has your car's engine GTO, but it ain't your car, its the BMW X5! That's my dream car.

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2016 at 08:44. Reason: Typo - please proofread before posting :)
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 16:18   #370
BHPian

Hi.

I have a few queries. Would appreciate if someone could assist.

1) Would like to know which one of the dealer is better to deal with in terms of sales and more importantly service - Navneet or Infiniti. Are we associated with any familiar person at either places ?

2) What is the discount one can expect for the 2016 530d ?
Old 19th January 2016, 17:29   #371
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hi Harish,

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Would like to know which one of the dealer is better to deal with in terms of sales and more importantly service - Navneet or Infiniti
Go with whichever dealer gives you a better deal.

Quote:
Are we associated with any familiar person at either places ?
I strongly recommend getting in touch with Laukik @ Navnit Motors (for servicing).

Quote:
What is the discount one can expect for the 2016 530d ?
Depending on whether a dealer has a car available, you can shave off 5 - 10 lakhs on the 530d. Ironically, the discount on the 520d is sometimes higher than the 530d. Reason = the 530d is built either in very limited numbers or dispatched from the factory against customer orders.

Here's what I'd suggest to you:

- A new 530d isn't worth 70 lakhs on the road. Look out for <2 year old examples for 40 - 45 lakhs. Then, buy the 6 year extended warranty and you're all set.

- If you are absolutely keen on buying new, wait for the all-new generation which is expected to make its global debut later in 2016. It'll come to India next year. If you're spending big bucks, why not wait & buy the latest? Downsides to the next-gen car would be no discounts (at least not initially), quirky styling (although looks are subjective and you might like it) and unknown gremlins (current 5-Series is late in its lifecycle and matured in terms of reliability).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2016, 10:39   #372
BHPian

Thanks GTO for the wise counsel.

Unfortunately I have two compulsions. I have to buy the car within a month and it has to be new.

Also, I cannot think of any other car. Your thread sealed the deal. No options for me. So......

That's a dilemma now.
harishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 13:11   #373
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Unfortunately I have two compulsions. I have to buy the car within a month and it has to be new.
Well, in that case, congratulations! The newer cars have a whole host of features over my 2013 build, including a rockstar sound system!

1. If I were you, I'd pick a lighter colour (my favourite is white). It really brings out all the subtle design highlights that are otherwise hidden in dark colours.

2. If they're offering the cinnamon brown interiors, go for it! You will love them. Darker means easier to keep clean too.

3. Whatever you do, buy the 6 year / 120,000 kms warranty right away. Don't delay it.

4. Since you have a Nasik address and spend most of your time there, pick an MH-15 plate. Should save you a couple of lakhs.

Wish you thousands of kms of enjoyable motoring. This one is a keeper, Harish. Enjoy her for at least a decade! The first time you bury the accelerator pedal into the floor, you'll realise that all that hard work was worth it .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2016, 19:17   #374
BHPian

[quote=GTO;3896190]

Quote:
If I were you, I'd pick a lighter colour (my favourite is white).
The kids have promised to keep the carbon black clean.

Quote:
If they're offering the cinnamon brown interiors, go for it!
Cinnamon brown it is.

Quote:
Whatever you do, buy the 6 year / 120,000 kms warranty right away.
The BSI you mean ???

Quote:
Since you have a Nasik address and spend most of your time there, pick an MH-15 plate. Should save you a couple of lakhs.
3.6 lakhs to be precise.

Quote:
The first time you bury the accelerator pedal into the floor, you'll realise that all that hard work was worth it .
I did. Know what you mean. Thanx.
harishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:21   #375
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The BSI you mean ???
The all-inclusive service packages are priced steeply and only make sense if your running is very high. Full list & details here.

I've taken only the warranty.

Quote:
3.6 lakhs to be precise.
. What was the total discount you managed to pull off?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks