Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 22:19   #541
BHPian

Update on AC issue:

So i had given my car on monday morning to bird for ac repair and the car is back with me today with the problem fully resolved.

As rightly pointed out by few t-bhp members the culprit was the faulty condenser and it was replaced by bmw under warranty free of cost without any hassles.

As per the service advisor the ac gas and coolant were getting mixed which had apparently damaged the condenser and hence it had developed a leak. I find this statement absolutely vague and senseless! Anyways i did not pursue it further since it would have been a waste of time.

At this point of time I'm absolutely relieved that there were no complicated repairs involved (as claimed by bmw advisor earlier) which had me bothered since past few days. Replacing condenser was hardly a 1-2 hrs job.

My overall experience with bird automotive, Gurgaon has been OK. Nothing spectacular but nothing much to complaint about as well!

Total Damage: 0

Last edited by ashish22 : 23rd August 2016 at 22:22.
ashish22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2016, 23:03   #542
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, it's going to take 3 - 4 days just to dry out the car completely.
GTO has the problem been resolved now or is it still persisting. Do let us know what was the culprit & solution for same.
Old 25th September 2016, 00:44   #543
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
GTO has the problem been resolved now or is it still persisting. Do let us know what was the culprit & solution for same.
Hey, it was indeed the LHD dummy plug. Was the first thing BMW guessed (without even looking at the car), so I'm guessing it's a known weak spot. The plug had gone bad and was letting water in.

Fixed for free in warranty . I did get the interior detailed again though as it had gotten so damp.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 19:57   #544
BHPian

GTO, why did I not read this earlier, exactly the same issue on my 2011 530d as well, paid a hefty 2.5L bill. Sending you a PM on this
Quote:
Might have encountered my first issue with the 530d!

Attachment 1540930

Attachment 1540931

There was a lot of moisture buildup on the glass area when the car was parked. While trying to figure out what was causing it, I found the rear left passenger's floor soaking wet. I'm not talking just wet - I'm talking about a 'full bucket of water' wet . Then found even the front passenger's carpet to be drenched. Took my man over an hour just to take the water out. The area on the right is absolutely fine - it's dry.

I'm guessing some kind of leakage, either from a sunroof drain or door channel. Sending the car over to Navnit Motors. Chap at Navnit Motors says 'lots of BMWs are in for leakage issues right now'. Is this a BMW specific issue? I don't remember my C220 or any other Mercedes suffering from this. Google search shows a lot of new model BMW owners complaining.

Will update once I have more information. Going to lose time as we're entering a long weekend. But I'd rather have the car parked indoors at Navnit than in my building where it's exposed to rain.

Good thing that I got the 6-year extended warranty. They're going to check & fix it for free.
np23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 23:43   #545
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by np23 View Post
exactly the same issue on my 2011 530d as well, paid a hefty 2.5L bill
Oh Mama ! I guess my extended warranty has already paid for itself .

But seriously, they charged you 2.5 lakhs for a dummy LHD plug (and the labour of replacing it)?
Old 26th September 2016, 07:53   #546
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey, it was indeed the LHD dummy plug. Was the first thing BMW guessed (without even looking at the car), so I'm guessing it's a known weak spot. The plug had gone bad and was letting water in.

Fixed for free in warranty . I did get the interior detailed again though as it had gotten so damp.

Hey GTO. Now that you've been to the workshop a few times I assume, can you recommend any particular SA to deal with? My GT goes in for its first service in a couple of weeks.

Also, if there are any specific tips or things to watch out for in a first service with BMW please do let me know.

Thanks,
Old 28th September 2016, 10:20   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Damn, it's going to take 3 - 4 days just to dry out the car completely.

Prima facie, the culprit appears to be a dummy plug. BMW thinks it might be the LHD / RHD dummy plug. But full testing will take long.
Hey GTO, Is it a sensible decision to buy a used BMW 530D M Sport 2013 (second owner car)? My concern is that it has done 56000 km and doesn't carry any extended warranty. I am wondering if it is worth a risk at 35 lakhs. Thanks!
Old 29th September 2016, 09:32   #548
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Hey GTO, Is it a sensible decision to buy a used BMW 530D M Sport 2013 (second owner car)? My concern is that it has done 56000 km and doesn't carry any extended warranty. I am wondering if it is worth a risk at 35 lakhs. Thanks!
Priced too high for a 56k 2nd owner car. Remember, one or two problems can quickly make a 35 lakh into a 40 lakh one. Would suggest waiting & searching a little more. Spend a li'l higher and get one on which you can buy extended warranty. I just don't have the risk appetite to buy such a car without coverage.

Also look at the used inventory at your local BMW dealer. They offer warranties of up to 2 years (dealer warranty, but still holds weight) as an option.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 17:00   #549
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
More than anything what worries me is the electronics below the seat!

audio amplifier
Looks like your observation was spot on. The sound is gone! No audio, no parking sensors, no warning chimes.

I have a feeling it's related to the water leakage.

While the car has been mechanically pristine since I bought it, these niggles are getting terribly irritating. Yes, I do have warranty (and God bless the extended warranty packages), so the cost to me will be zero. But what about the time spent on such issues? The inconvenience? I was planning a highway trip tomorrow, but no way am I driving long distance without music.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 17:06   #550
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The sound is gone! No audio, no parking sensors, no warning chimes.
That's bad, I thought they only mount woofer below the seat but it appears amplifier is also inbuilt or nearby. Or else subwoofer has tripped the circuit and replacing the same should solve the issue.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 17:12   #551
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's bad, I thought they only mount woofer below the seat but it appears amplifier is also inbuilt or nearby. Or else subwoofer has tripped the circuit and replacing the same should solve the issue.
Amplifier is in the boot. But yes, either the wet subwoofer has tripped the circuit or something else related to the water leakage. Things were SOAKING wet then.

Prima facie, it appears to be the amplifier. I'm sure the official pricing will be in the 6 figures.

Back to the damn workshop.
Old 10th October 2016, 17:14   #552
Team-BHP Support

Damn. This is what I was afraid of. it might be as simple as a fuse trip due to water entering or a complete failure of amp/subwoofer.

Did you just find this out now? Didn't they check all this when delivering the car back then?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2016, 17:46   #553
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Damn. This is what I was afraid of. it might be as simple as a fuse trip
I don't think it's a fuse trip as playing around with the ICE (including disconnecting my paired smartphone) brought back the sound for sometime. But it's gone again!

Quote:
Did you just find this out now?
You think I'd drive without music for a month ?
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2016, 09:46   #554
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think it's a fuse trip as playing around with the ICE (including disconnecting my paired smartphone) brought back the sound for sometime. But it's gone again!
Ok, the sound came back last night. Am hoping it's a loose connection somewhere that got messed up when they opened the car for the water leakage.
Old 19th October 2016, 10:31   #555

Not an avid reader of this forum or the site. I log in every once in a while. Came across this thread of GTO and was impressed with the write up and detailing.
I have just purchased the 520i..from Infinity, Worli, paid for it last month but will be taking delivery next week. I work at sea, so paid for the car before I went and will pick it up the day I return. White with Cinnamon interiors.
Though a few people have preferred Navnit over Infinity, I have not faced any issues with them yet. Time will tell though.
You recommend 6yrs BSI? anything else that I need to do before I take delivery?
I was thinking of getting the heads up display mounted, but Infinity guy tells me that they still haven't started to install them yet. I
find this strange.
I'm in two minds if I should get the M Sport black grille or leave this as stock for a bit and then think of changing it
Any accessory you recommend that I should go for before I drive it out of the showroom.
Let me tell you something - BMW was not on my mind when I bought this. I had actually gone to buy the C250d but strangely from Auto Hanger
Prabhadevi I ended up at Infinity and test drove the GT3 and then the 520i and immediately after the drive I decided on 520i.
I am a pro petrol engine guy hence biased in my opinion. I currently drive the Outlander.
Something about the drive in 520i made me change my mind about BMW.
I hope my decision to go for the Bav over the star is not the wrong one ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks