Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 12:30   #586
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

And the paddle-shifters! So much easier when the controls are on the steering wheel itself. I use the paddle shifters all the time.

).

I can't emphasis the convenience of paddle shifters enough. I'm so used to them from the civic and sorely miss them on the GT. Tiptronic is just not the same as being able to control without moving hands from steering. (I am too used to holding the steering with both hands).

On a related note, on a recent highway drive (which of late have been numerous) I do tend to switch between D and S mode. I once accidentally dropped the car into neutral thinking I was in S mode and doing a downshift. A bit dangerous to say the least because sometimes you can forget whether you are in S or D mode. Again made me miss my paddle shifters.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 14:18   #587
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
I'm a heavy user of my paddle-shifters! They are a lot of fun because the car allows aggressive downshifts & upshifts. Try using manual shifts and you'll get addicted to them when you're in the mood for fun.
I also use the paddle shifters (320i Luxury line) mostly, except in bumper to bumper traffic. I have a doubt. What is the difference between driving in sports mode by pressing the button in the center console; and shifting the gear lever to the left (M/S) plus simultaneously use the button to change to sports mode? Does this make a difference in the drive?
Old 20th November 2016, 17:30   #588
BHPian

During the recent tyre change for my 530d msport it was noted that all the four alloy wheels are bent in one or two places. I could feel the wheel wobble before at higher speeds and I assumed it to be because of the worn out tyres. Now to change all the four msport alloy wheels at the BMW dealership I might have to spend close to two lakh rupees. A friend of mine suggested to get after market alloys from reputed brands like BBS ,vozen, lenso and HRE at prices way lesser than the BMW dealers quote. Do you guys recommend these wheels or should I stick to the OE alloys from the BMW dealer.
Old 20th November 2016, 17:36   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surgvij View Post
During the recent tyre change for my 530d msport it was noted that all the four alloy wheels are bent in one or two places. I could feel the wheel wobble before at higher speeds and I assumed it to be because of the worn out tyres. Now to change all the four msport alloy wheels at the BMW dealership I might have to spend close to two lakh rupees. A friend of mine suggested to get after market alloys from reputed brands like BBS ,vozen, lenso and HRE at prices way lesser than the BMW dealers quote. Do you guys recommend these wheels or should I stick to the OE alloys from the BMW dealer.
Since you already had M wheels, consider this as an opportunity and get a set of BBS CH-R! If I were you, I'd do that. Nothing to worry about the quality and looks to kill. What else do you want. I was confused between M wheels and BBS when I wanted to upgrade. But finally went for M wheels. Thought will get the BBS next time. Both are great and BBS is cheaper. Go for it!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 17:47   #590
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A friend of mine suggested to get after market alloys from reputed brands like BBS ,vozen, lenso and HRE at prices way lesser than the BMW dealers quote. Do you guys recommend these wheels or should I stick to the OE alloys from the BMW dealer.
I won't suggest from my personal experience. I tried once but had to take off as the brakes started rubbing when I changed the pads. It might have been a defect in that particular rim or maybe wrong selection but I will better play safe and give money to BMW.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2016, 18:39   #591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
I also use the paddle shifters (320i Luxury line) mostly, except in bumper to bumper traffic. I have a doubt. What is the difference between driving in sports mode by pressing the button in the center console; and shifting the gear lever to the left (M/S) plus simultaneously use the button to change to sports mode? Does this make a difference in the drive?
So shifting to sport mode with the button does put the steering, throttle response, and gearbox to sport. But the gearbox shifts down one gear. If you put the gear level to m/s it shifts down another gear. That is the most extreme setting for the gearbox and it will keep you in the power band always.

Quote:
Good alloys from BBS or HRE aren't going to cost you much less than 2 lacs. But if you are getting a good deal do go for them. Most people just look at the pcd and number of holes, but you must also keep an eye on the offset of the wheel. Make sure its as close to the factory spec as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won't suggest from my personal experience. I tried once but had to take off as the brakes started rubbing when I changed the pads. It might have been a defect in that particular rim or maybe wrong selection but I will better play safe and give money to BMW.
Very possibly wrong offset as mentioned above.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 12:34   #592
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
it was noted that all the four alloy wheels are bent in one or two places
Simply get the bent rims fixed. Tell your workshop to do it. Unless the rim is cracked, there is no reason to change.

I reiterate, these big wheels just aren't suitable for India. Give me 17" rims with taller sidewalls, more durability & a cushier ride any day, anytime .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2016, 14:58   #593
BHPian

Quote:

If you drive on the highway a lot, please don't. The enhanced ground clearance is a big plus of this car. I don't have to think twice before taking the 530d anywhere. In fact, I don't even remember the last time she scraped her underbelly anywhere (despite a minimum of one highway run per month).
Not really, Ive got other cars for highway use and I use this mostly in the city*Bangalore* and for midnight runs but I cannot live with the dynamics of the car which is hampered due to the rough road package.

The car doesnt inspire confidence when taking a corner due to higher centre of gravity.

One more reason to lower the car is for the Vorsteiner Front Carbon Splitter I'm planning on getting, will make it look killer

Last edited by #enzowho : 21st November 2016 at 15:00.
#enzowho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 13:02   #594
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, just wanted to check with you at what intervals is your iDrive recommending oil change?

My X3 30d is currently at 15,000 kms. 1st Oil change was at 9,000 kms. Next change as per iDrive is at 18,000 kms. It seems to be a fixed interval and not really variable as the oil change recommendation hasn't really changed ever since the last oil change. I mean to say its been showing oil change to be done at 18,000 kms since the last change. I was under the impression that synthetic oil can easily last 12 to 15K kms these days. Since both our cars run the same engine, wanted to check with you.

My running is virtually 95% highway and 5% city. And no I don't always rip the engine. Like to ride the torque and keep the revs in the medium range. With this kind of usage the oil should last at least 12k kms. Oil change every 9k kms is kind of expensive!!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 14:38   #595
BHPian

Thanks a ton ajaypjayaraj, Turbanator, Akshay1234 and GTO for your valuable suggestions. GTO sir the tyre mechanic had suggested me not to repair the bent rims as they might get weak and more prone for developing cracks. But I value your advice more. Kindly enlighten me on this. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2016 at 10:13. Reason: Strictly no SMS language please
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:13   #596
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
tyre mechanic had suggested me not to repair the bent rims as they might get weak
I will agree with your mechanic and instead change the rims. Try if you can get Insurance claim on atleast two - front or rear, it should be easy for dealership to make a story for you. And it's a fact as well that your rims have got damaged due to potholes etc.

Last edited by GTO : 24th November 2016 at 10:14. Reason: Typo
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 15:47   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
GTO, just wanted to check with you at what intervals is your iDrive recommending oil change?

My X3 30d is currently at 15,000 kms. 1st Oil change was at 9,000 kms. Next change as per iDrive is at 18,000 kms...

My running is virtually 95% highway and 5% city.... at least 12k kms. Oil change every 9k kms is kind of expensive!!
According to the BMW owners on this forum, there is no fixed interval, you must have seen something like 12k kms / 12 months when you bought the car, which factors in both time and distance. Cars with low running will have longer time intervals and those with normal running well have a varying one based on usage characteristics. It's called CBS - condition based servicing. 12k is too much for an engine with nearly 300 bhp, the 9k will drop rapidly if you drive in town regularly, that's a waste of a great drive train.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 16:22   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
According to the BMW owners on this forum, there is no fixed interval, you must have seen something like 12k kms / 12 months when you bought the car, which factors in both time and distance. Cars with low running will have longer time intervals and those with normal running well have a varying one based on usage characteristics. It's called CBS - condition based servicing. 12k is too much for an engine with nearly 300 bhp, the 9k will drop rapidly if you drive in town regularly, that's a waste of a great drive train.
Exactly! CBS should adjust the interval based on usage pattern and my usage pattern of steady highway driving should translate to a longer interval. BMW forums world wide talk of 7,500 miles as a very conservative interval and most owners are doing it at 10,000 to 12,000 miles for their diesels. The iDrive has been consistently showing oil change every 9,000 kms from day one.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd November 2016 at 16:32.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 18:22   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post

My running is virtually 95% highway and 5% city. And no I don't always rip the engine. Like to ride the torque and keep the revs in the medium range. With this kind of usage the oil should last at least 12k kms. Oil change every 9k kms is kind of expensive!!
Bhat! If you decode the vehicle VIN, you will find an option code SA0988 (for Petrol engine it is SA0984). This stands for reduced service interval. Market specific.

What it basically aims at is reducing engine sludge formation wherever fuel sulphur content is higher than a threshold. The standard interval is 25000 kms. SA 0988 sets it to 12000 and stop go traffic further reduces it to 9000 kms. It's expensive but a price is to be paid to keep the engine healthy in poor fuel, low speed environment.
BeamerBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 09:43   #600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
Bhat! If you decode the vehicle VIN, you will find an option code SA0988 (for Petrol engine it is SA0984). This stands for reduced service interval. Market specific.

What it basically aims at is reducing engine sludge formation wherever fuel sulphur content is higher than a threshold. The standard interval is 25000 kms. SA 0988 sets it to 12000 and stop go traffic further reduces it to 9000 kms. It's expensive but a price is to be paid to keep the engine healthy in poor fuel, low speed environment.
Hey thanks for the logical explaination! I do have the VIN decoded with me and checked it today. There is an option "S8KM - Oil Service interval 12,000kms/ 12 months". So it is indeed set at 12,000 kms for Indian conditions. It might have reduced to 9,000 kms due to higher sulphur content in our diesel. But my running being 95% on smooth highways, I would have thought I could have atleast eeked out 12,000 kms between every oil change.

I am OK with oil every 9k kms if that's what's required to keep the engine happy. But my problem is that every time I go for this oil change they take a reading from the key and change AC filter and air filter. I resisted last time, but the guy said that it may cause problems with warranty if I opt out of system recommended changes. I asked them to just clean the air filter and fit it back as it had run only 9k kms, but the guy categorically told me " NO, at BMW we don't clean filters, we only replace"
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed