Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2017, 18:12   #616
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by krcustoms View Post
Going to dealer and replacing entire assembly is like the worst possible way of doing things but this seem to be the case with all foreign brands especially German brands in India. Even for a VW you wont get parts or repair service outside of dealership.

That's not 100% right. No need to make it sensational. As the case pertains to BMW, they have something called 4th level. That means there are local repair shops who buy parts from BMW dealer and offer relatively cheaper service. In Gurgaon we have got Euro Motors. This the dealer informed on their own when there was a wiring rat bite repairs required.

Check with the dealer in Bangalore.
BeamerBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 20:18   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post
That's not 100% right. No need to make it sensational. As the case pertains to BMW, they have something called 4th level. That means there are local repair shops who buy parts from BMW dealer and offer relatively cheaper service. In Gurgaon we have got Euro Motors. This the dealer informed on their own when there was a wiring rat bite repairs required.

Check with the dealer in Bangalore.
BeamerBoy, I was not trying to make it sensational just stating a different point. Its like auto makers in India take a "all or nothing" kind of approach to these components. Yes local repair shops may provide the parts but again you have to buy whole part. This is the reason why Ford recently introduced the concept of sub-components so for example if your mirror is busted then you don't just replace the whole mirror , just the replace the part that is broken! I wish they could do that in all parts to like AC assembly!.

Maybe i am belaboring the point too much but i have seen this happen to often. Ideally if OEM's make the parts they would be way to cheaper like they are in other counties. again just my 2 cents.
krcustoms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 13:33   #618
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Their service policy does NOT allow them to replace just the clutch so I will need to change the entire Compressor + Clutch assembly
Quote:
Its like auto makers in India take a "all or nothing" kind of approach to these components.
BMW Indian dealers follow same International system that they use in any other country. If an assembly has subcomponents and a part number you can surely order that part unless there is a note or remark which says that complete assembly has to be ordered. By my experience, you can order pretty much down to the last component as long it's in their part system.
Check if you can find a manual and then identify the part number or try to meet stores manager at the dealership. They are normally helpful and if there is a part number but service guys don't want to order, involve BMW to resolve.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2017, 13:56   #619
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Suspicious? You bet I am.
Naah, I'll give them the benefit of doubt. Don't think Navnit would ever stoop to such cheating tactics to make some bucks.

Quote:
The local dealer in Bangalore --Navnit Motors -- whom I don't trust completely, says it is the clutch on the compressor that's malfunctioning. Their service policy does NOT allow them to replace just the clutch so I will need to change the entire Compressor + Clutch assembly at a ridiculous price of Rs 1,25,000.
Damn, nothing is below 6 figures for such cars.

You need to take the car to an independent shop & sort it out. Be sure to pick one who has experience with high-end European cars. Once done with warranty, my C220 always went to a good shop (rates were sometimes 25% that of Mercedes dealer) and my 530d will too.
Old 29th January 2017, 16:06   #620
BHPian

Just have the AC gas refilled for INR 2k and see if works..

My CRV had a problem where the fan would work, AC would intermittently stop working. On restarting it would work. Then after a week, the AC completely stopped working. Honda suggested condensation fan, and some other stuff. I went to Mahindra on ORR near Cessna and got the AC gas replaced for 2k. Has been running fine
vivekrvcse is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 10:29   #621
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Good tip. Nothing quite like an honest independent workshop for an honest evaluation & saving $$$. Problem with all service advisors today is they have strict revenue targets to meet. A good independent workshop - on the other hand - cares about its reputation as they're competing against the big boys.

In other news, man, the number of creaks & rattles continues to grow. Of course, they aren't excessive, but at this price point, it's just not expected. I'm hearing minor creaks, rattles & squeaks from all 4 corners of the cabin . Going to use my extended warranty and ask BMW to fix it at the next service visit. Meanwhile, my habit of listening to music loud helps to drown them out.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 11:03   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
In other news, man, the number of creaks & rattles continues to grow. Of course, they aren't excessive, but at this price point, it's just not expected. I'm hearing minor creaks, rattles & squeaks from all 4 corners of the cabin . Going to use my extended warranty and ask BMW to fix it at the next service visit. Meanwhile, my habit of listening to music loud helps to drown them out.
I'm reasonably sure the creaks and squeeks will be from the door beadings, as they are on most of the Euro cars we have here. Try out something like Gummi Pfledge or similar on the door beadings. Will show it to you the next time we meet.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 11:16   #623
BHPian

Quote:

In other news, man, the number of creaks & rattles continues to grow. Of course, they aren't excessive, but at this price point, it's just not expected. I'm hearing minor creaks, rattles & squeaks from all 4 corners of the cabin
Is this a problem with all cars of this segment or is it a BMW specific problem?
I ask because I feel the Audis built 2016 onwards seem solidly put together. Recently drove the new A4 (13 odd thousand clicks on the odo) to Pune and that felt as solid as a rock. Could pass for a brand new car if it wasn't for the blemishes on its body.
Even the Volvo S90, albeit relatively new, felt as well put together as the Audi if not better. Felt dense, if you know what I mean.

I know most of it depends on the roads, but still, be nice to hear your opinion on the build quality of these cars. Which company takes the prize when it comes to this? Post 2014 Mercs included.
DeKay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 12:05   #624
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Try out something like Gummi Pfledge or similar on the door beadings. Will show it to you the next time we meet.
Thanks! Will try your suggestion out. However, these are there not only on the corners, but even the center of the cabin (driver armrest console or driver's seat?). So damn annoying on the rare times I drive with music at a low volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Is this a problem with all cars of this segment or is it a BMW specific problem?
More than Mercedes for sure. My car at <30,000 km has the same number of rattles & squeaks as the C220 did at 100,000 km. IIRC, the Mercedes was completely rattle-free at 70,000 km.

Google the issue and you'll see loads of BMW owners complaining. It's a brand-specific problem. Sad in such a premium car. I've driven Hyundai Santros with 50,000 km and zero rattles.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 16:52   #625
BHPian

Gents,
Thanks for all the advice.

I did take my car to an 'independent' to have the AC fixed, and I'm due to collect it later in the evening. By the way, his diagnosis was spot on and matched what Navnit motors said: the clutch on the Compressor had packed up. (I'll report in detail perhaps after a week or fortnight: if I'm happy with the job, I'll post his coordinates here so other German drivers in Bangalore have an optional Doctor at hand.)

This guy has fixed it for Rs 16,000/ but I've yet to see how effective the repair is and how long it lasts. In any case it was NOT the absolute murder that Navnit quoted.

GTO: I didn't mean that I doubted the integrity of 'Navnit' but they are as good as their weakest link, right?

Squeaks & Rattles: I'm sorry to hear that you have these gremlins creep in from time to time in your 530. I'm happy to say mine is totally devoid of any special effects so far... in fact, she's as tight as a drum. I am extra cautious when I cross flyover joints etc. quite to the chagrin of drivers behind me.
netchef is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 17:17   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Will try your suggestion out. However, these are there not only on the corners, but even the center of the cabin (driver armrest console or driver's seat?). So damn annoying on the rare times I drive with music at a low volume.

More than Mercedes for sure. My car at <30,000 km has the same number of rattles & squeaks as the C220 did at 100,000 km. IIRC, the Mercedes was completely rattle-free at 70,000 km.

Google the issue and you'll see loads of BMW owners complaining. It's a brand-specific problem. Sad in such a premium car. I've driven Hyundai Santros with 50,000 km and zero rattles.
My 11.5 year old Elantra run's silently even after all these years and after having endured Indian traffic conditions and roads! I treat her like an aging pet nowadays and don't feel like giving it away. My daughter is learning to drive in it, just as I did in my dad's Amby!
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 12:42   #627
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Squeaks & Rattles: I'm sorry to hear that you have these gremlins creep in from time to time in your 530. I'm happy to say mine is totally devoid of any special effects so far... in fact, she's as tight as a drum. I am extra cautious when I cross flyover joints etc. quite to the chagrin of drivers behind me.
One contributor could be my highway trips (well over 20 in 1.5 years). Driving at high speed on the highway (on unfamiliar tarmac) is a lot different than ~50 km/h in the city (where you'll know the roads better).

But still, even my C220 was the sole highway car at one time. It never so much as squeaked until the odometer crossed 75,000 km. In fact, even at 100,000 km, the rattles were well controlled.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:42   #628
BHPian

Quote:
One contributor could be my highway trips (well over 20 in 1.5 years). Driving at high speed on the highway (on unfamiliar tarmac) is a lot different than ~50 km/h in the city (where you'll know the roads better).

But still, even my C220 was the sole highway car at one time. It never so much as squeaked until the odometer crossed 75,000 km. In fact, even at 100,000 km, the rattles were well controlled.
I agree. I cause a lot of frustration to other drivers as I tend to crawl along on unfamiliar roads especially highways as I just hate to be surprised by ditches and unkempt tarmac.
(...my C220 was the sole highway car at one time.) THAT is proper testing
netchef is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2017, 15:12   #629
BHPian

Quote:
^

Quote:

I think it could be the suspension bushes. The ones used on BMW cars tend wear off quickly than many other cars or that's what it looks like. I have a 1 series within 6 months of purchase and 13000 km of usage it started to have squeaks from the rear boot. I took it to the BMW service centre and they said it was due to suspension bushes and and they replaced the bushes and the rear latch. The car is silent now and hope it stays that way.

Centre of cabin is a surprise, but could it be the drive train mounts/bushes that goes under the front centre console area?
rejoycjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 17:16   #630
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
I think it could be the suspension bushes. The ones used on BMW cars tend wear off quickly than many other cars or that's what it looks like.
Will have it looked at over the next visit, although I'm very sure it isn't the suspension bushes.

Quote:
Centre of cabin is a surprise, but could it be the drive train mounts/bushes that goes under the front centre console area?
Not able to nail it; either the armrest console or the driver's seat.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks