Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2017, 20:33   #751
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
My 530d now Steinbauered with 305HP and 648 Nm.
That's nice, do share approximate costs & details of the vendor. I bought a race chip for my X5 but it's throwing errors & most importantly did you got it these new figures dynoed? or are going by the official version of the seller?
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2017, 15:50   #752
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
My 530d now Steinbauered with 305HP and 648 Nm.
Holy cow . Please share more details, pics, driving impressions and of course - the price.
Old 14th July 2017, 17:05   #753
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another month, another road-trip . This time, the total driving was almost 1,000 km. I’ve lost count, but IIRC it’s the 30th time or so that my 530d has hit the highway. Come to think of it, over 50% of the km I’ve put on her have been on the open road (city usage is only over nights & weekends).

Had an important business matter come up recently, hence had to rush out at the last minute. The car is so mechanically sorted & such a pleasure to drive on the highway that I now don’t even think twice before picking up the keys and stepping out. Just tanked up and left. This wasn’t necessarily the case with the C220. Except for that one water leakage issue caused by a lousy plastic cap, the 530d has been 100% reliable. In fact, in terms of mechanical dependability, she’s been like a Toyota (*touches wood*)! These complex Europeans have definitely made improvements in reliability & the gap to the Japanese is diminishing (although I hope that longer-term ownership doesn’t make me eat my own words).

It was raining heavily all throughout, therefore it was a calm & easy drive. 6-cylinders, the ZF gearbox & great music made every km a pleasurable one. Rural India is truly something else in the monsoons. The sights & scenes were breath-taking. If you haven't gone out on the highway in this season yet, please do.

Pro tip from my monsoon driving article. During heavy rains, stick to the middle lane on the highway. Saw waterlogging at several spots in the rightmost lane. Aquaplaning = disaster.

Wishlist: The 530d’s wiper speed should be a level faster in torrential rain. I never felt it earlier, but this time on the highway with tremendous rainfall, the wiper speed was a level slower than I’d prefer. We’d commented on this in our original 530d review too.

For those who missed it, here’s a link to my earlier post with a full overview of the 2 years of ownership.

Sorry, no exterior pictures this time as it was raining continuously.

Relaxed cruising = long tank range. Love big tanks. No worries about stopping at suspicious pumps or frequent pitstops:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 18:07   #754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The 530d’s wiper speed should be a level faster in torrential rain.
There's an adjustment on the wiper stalk to adjust speeds, hope you have not missed that as I never found it slow or perhaps it rains much less here.

One tip that works, in rain drive with sunglasses
Attached Images

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th July 2017 at 18:09.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 18:56   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There's an adjustment on the wiper stalk to adjust speeds, hope you have not missed that as I never found it slow or perhaps it rains much less here.
They work great, never had any issue with speed. In fact, BMW wipers are just perfectly calibrated. No noise, super smooth. In most cars I have seen an irritating noise at the end of the stroke when wipers scrubs the glass.

Quote:
One tip that works, in rain drive with sunglasses
It better be polarised
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 13:55   #756
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! Yep, that setting is on full sensitivity. The rainfall was very heavy on this drive; first time I felt the need for additional wiper speed in my car. I must also add that my Civic's wipers on full clip had a noticeably faster sweeping action.
Old 15th July 2017, 14:31   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just noticed that the small arrow indicating the side of the fuel lid is missing from your fuel gauge. This is the first time I am noticing it so thought of pointing out.

Great to see the range of your beast touching almost 1000 kms. My Fortuner has a big tank as well and the range is just about 800 km. One of my favorite likes as well about my truck. Makes sure I don't have to stop more than once a day even for those really long road trips
ragh_bhushan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 18:29   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
small arrow indicating the side of the fuel lid is missing from your fuel gauge
It's on the range indicator
Attached Images

Old 15th July 2017, 20:33   #759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's on the range indicator
I don't think that's what that arrow means. Its basically indicating that you need to go to the fuel station in about xxx kms.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 15th July 2017 at 20:34.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2017, 20:44   #760
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another month, another road-trip . This time, the total driving was almost 1,000 km.
So, where was it to? GJ or MH? Only on 4 lanes? Where you alone in the car?
What was the FE?
Old 16th July 2017, 00:23   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think that's what that arrow means. Its basically indicating that you need to go to the fuel station in about xxx kms.
Nope, that arrow is only to indicate on which side the fuel lid is located. The range is already mentioned on the right side, so i dont think the icon is needed to specify that.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 00:49   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Nope, that arrow is only to indicate on which side the fuel lid is located. The range is already mentioned on the right side, so i dont think the icon is needed to specify that.
I don't think I can agree with that. An arrow mark with the pump icon with no. of kms next to it tells me that range is being displayed on the toggle menu.

If the intent was to indicate on which side the tank lid is, why would it be only in the range toggle and not permanently displayed?
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 01:17   #763
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The arrow does indeed indicate range and not which side to fill. IT basically means 940km to go till you need to gas pointing to the gas icon.

The side which you need to fill from will be usually on the fuel icon located in the fuel needle gauge. I checked Page 1 and strangely there was no icon there like most cars. Seems BMW doesn't follow this.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2017, 09:31   #764
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
An arrow mark with the pump icon with no. of kms next to it tells me that range is being displayed on the toggle menu.
Quote:
The arrow does indeed indicate range and not which side to fill
Both make sense, it tells to go to pump in so many Km's and when you are at Pump look at the right side
Old 16th July 2017, 10:08   #765
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragh_bhushan View Post
Just noticed that the small arrow indicating the side of the fuel lid is missing from your fuel gauge.
Only a BHPian, only a BHPian...

Quote:
Great to see the range of your beast touching almost 1000 kms
Realistic range is 800 odd km. It showed 900+ because of relaxed cruising in the rains.

Quote:
Nope, that arrow is only to indicate on which side the fuel lid is located.
Can't be because the fuel lid is on the right (driver's) side. The indicator is indeed missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
GJ or MH?
Multiple locations within MH itself.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed