Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2017, 10:15   #766
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Can't be because the fuel lid is on the right (driver's) side. The indicator is indeed missing.
Yes, but the arrow is pointing towards right only

Last edited by Turbanator : 16th July 2017 at 10:17.
Old 17th July 2017, 23:06   #767
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
There's an adjustment on the wiper stalk to adjust speeds, hope you have not missed that as I never found it slow or perhaps it rains much less here.
It's definitely a shortcoming, but one that most people might not experience - since its rare that wipers actually need to be doing duty at their max speed.

When I first drove the 530d on an extremely rainy day years back, I wasn't sure if the amount of rain was just insane, or the wipers were just a tad bit slow at full-speed, so, I checked objectively...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
• The wipers are not made to handle torrential downpours. Everyone who drove the car on a very rainy weekend made this comment. On manual mode, they just don’t go anywhere near as fast as you’d want. On auto mode, they do go faster (vehicle speed sensitive), but they still aren’t as fast as other cars at their maximum speed. Eg. 5-Series : 60 sweeps/minute, while cars like the Innova / Fiesta do 66 sweeps/minute. That’s a noticeable 10% faster.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2017, 08:03   #768
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
It's definitely a shortcoming, but one that most people might not experience - since its rare that wipers actually need to be doing duty at their max speed.

When I first drove the 530d on an extremely rainy day years back, I wasn't sure if the amount of rain was just insane, or the wipers were just a tad bit slow at full-speed, so, I checked objectively...
I remember, 5 moderators were breaking their heads on trying to make the 530d wipers go faster. It severely limited our speed
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 15:45   #769
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Remember the earlier problem where water was accumulating in the left-rear passenger's footwell (link to post)?

Took the car out this morning. Wanted to place my bag at the back, so opened the right-rear door and this is what I see .
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20170722-10.18.47.jpg

On my MH tour last week, this leakage wasn't there. I know because it was pouring heavily + continuously and my laptop bag was parked right here. It was dry.

This is frustrating. Last monsoon, the left side was flooded (caused by a bad LHD plastic cap). Now it's the right side. Clearly an issue with the way BMW is assembling cars here. I can't think of any other reason.

Doesn't appear to be from the firewall this time. The carpeting on the firewall is dry (was wet last year). The driver's floor area is a little wet, but not above (on the firewall).
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20170722-10.19.29.jpg

Sure looks like the extended warranty has already paid for itself.

But what about the heartburn & inconvenience? It had taken two weeks for Navnit to solve the issue last time around. Not to forget, such repairs require r-i-p-p-i-n-g the cabin open.

Am worried about the long-term implications on electrical reliability. These cars are laden with complex gizmos, wires, sensors etc. and they all detest water.

As much as I hate to put the cover on during the monsoons, I just did to prevent any further damage to the car:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-capture2.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 22nd July 2017 at 15:48.
GTO is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 16:06   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Remember the earlier problem where water was accumulating in the left-rear passenger's footwell (link to post)?

Took the car out this morning. Wanted to place my bag at the back, so opened the right-rear door and this is what I see .
Sad to hear that!

I think you should check the door drains on your car, apart from the plugs themselves. I think it is the door seals which are the culprit or the drain holes.

Any amplifiers or speakers back there? I suggest you refrain from using the ICE until the issue is sorted out. Switching on the speakers with water could make the situation worse.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th July 2017 at 09:41.
vishy76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 17:31   #771
Team-BHP Support

Far fetched, at least knowing you, but, were those [RR] windows open by any chance?
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2017, 21:29   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Took the car out this morning. Wanted to place my bag at the back, so opened the right-rear door and this is what I see
Water for any car is bad, and here we are talking about a BMW, which is loaded with electricals and electronics.

From whatever little knowledge I have, here's what I'd like to share:

1. Check AC drain pipe for any blockage.

2. Check all grommets and plugs. IMO, these aren't 100% waterproof, so what you can do is use a bit of windshield sealant around them. Windshield sealant is not only waterproof, but also easier to remove when need arises.

3. Check all drain areas.

4. Pay close attention to all weatherstrips.

5. Sun roof is often a source of leaks. What is the condition of roof lining?? Also check the roof lining for dampness near windshields.

6. Keeping silica gel sachets also helps in removing some humidity which gets trapped inside the cabin. But this won't work with an active source of leak.

Leaks aren't a hazard when detected at the right time. But the stripping of interiors is worrisome. Hope they fix it with factory precision.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th July 2017 at 09:41.
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:58   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1659514

Doesn't appear to be from the firewall this time. The carpeting on the firewall is dry (was wet last year). The driver's floor area is a little wet, but not above (on the firewall).
Attachment 1659515
This time the cause seems to be the rear door vapor barrier as reported on BMW forums. See the door sill plastic cladding and rubber seal is also wet, so I think water may have trickled down from the door. Since you say the firewall upper trim is dry it couldn't have come that side.

Quote:
This is frustrating. Last monsoon, the left side was flooded (caused by a bad LHD plastic cap). Now it's the right side. Clearly an issue with the way BMW is assembling cars here. I can't think of any other reason.
This is reported by BMW owners in other countries too, so does not seem like a BMW India only problem.

It would be a good idea to check on the cap which was replaced last year, as a preventive measure and to avoid any nasty surprises.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:52   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

This seems to be a common problem in BMW's. Happened several times with my previous E60. Took multiple workshop visits to resolve. The drainage channels get clogged with dirt and hence this issue occurs.
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 10:55   #775
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the help, guys. My brother says "wow, your BMW is leaking as much as your soft-top Jeep" .

Apparently, this is a common problem with the F10 - related search. Just look at the number of owners complaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
I think you should check the door drains on your car, apart from the plugs themselves. I think it is the door seals which are the culprit or the drain holes.
Yes, I think it's the door seals too.

Quote:
Any amplifiers or speakers back there?
Sadly, the subwoofer & foot air-con vent are below the driver's seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Far fetched, at least knowing you, but, were those [RR] windows open by any chance?
Nope. But since you asked, I went back into the CCTV archive & checked. Windows rolled up. Plus, only the floor area is wet, nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Water for any car is bad, and here we are talking about a BMW, which is loaded with electricals and electronics.
I have over 2 years of warranty still left, so any related issues should crop up in the same time (high probability). Now you know why I keep saying that buying a European car without extended warranty is being a kamikaze.

Quote:
From whatever little knowledge I have, here's what I'd like to share
Since I have the warranty, I'm going to make the dealer do all the hard work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This time the cause seems to be the rear door vapor barrier as reported on BMW forums. See the door sill plastic cladding and rubber seal is also wet, so I think water may have trickled down from the door.
Ah, that too. Will check.

Quote:
It would be a good idea to check on the cap which was replaced last year, as a preventive measure and to avoid any nasty surprises.
Checked that area first. Appears to be dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Happened several times with my previous E60. Took multiple workshop visits to resolve. The drainage channels get clogged with dirt and hence this issue occurs.
Really? And they still haven't figured out a way to solve it? Damn.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2017 at 10:58.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 10:28   #776
GTO
Team-BHP Support

*Update* The car will be going in to the workshop today. The annual service was also due in September, so I'll just get it done right now. Fluids & filters will need to be changed, and I think the brake pads too (doubt they'll last for another year).

BMW thinks it's the door drains that are the culprit.

Meanwhile, thanks to BHPian Ghostrider for sharing Clarkson's review of the new 5-Series. Jeremy is clearly a fan of the F10.

Link to review

Quote:
IF A PIECE of technology remains fundamentally unchanged for more than a century, it’s inevitable that one day it will be as perfect as it’s going to get. And so it was with the most recent BMW 530d.

Every tiny lesson and shuffle forward since Karl Benz took his invention for a spin round Germany in 1888 had been incorporated. And as a consequence, the world had arrived at what might fairly be described as “peak car”.

That thing offered an incredible blend of economy, refinement and power. It was comfortable, it handled beautifully, it was well made and easy to use and its astonishing good looks were tainted only by a deserved familiarity.

If I’d been in charge at BMW when that car was launched, I’d have asked everyone in the research and development department to go on holiday for ever because their work was done. The car, as an entity, had been perfected. And there were no more worlds to conquer.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 16:48   #777
Team-BHP Support

@GTO: Have you managed to find a reliable service engineer at Navnit? I'm not tremendously thrilled by the quality from their workshop.
Old 26th July 2017, 16:08   #778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
*Update* The car will be going in to the workshop today. The annual service was also due in September, so I'll just get it done right now. Fluids & filters will need to be changed, and I think the brake pads too (doubt they'll last for another year).
Hope the problem is rectified soon man, Its a common issue with many many owners facing the same issue, Also by any chance did you check how much kms of life was shown for the brake pads on the idrive system?

Apparently i have just crossed around 28,000 kms & idrive still shows rear brake pads have a life of about 15,000 kms more & 5000 kms for the front, Although the front 5000kms life for the front pads have been since i have got the car and driven her more than 9,000kms! Rear pads by this time was reduced by 3,000kms.

My last visit to Infinity the SA said there is no need to change the pads till your idrive tells you too, Even the braking in my car feels spot on, So was curious to know how much the pads lasted for you.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 01:41   #779
BHPian

The decision to buy a mid sized luxury vehicle has been on my mind for the past two years or so. An impending move to the US for work being the foremost deterrent. Last month i finally decided to have my allegiance to Modi Sarkar as opposed to Trump comedy show and consequently a decision to buy a mid sized luxury vehicle was finally made.

Requisites are a diesel six cylinder vehicle and the short listed cars are G30-530D M Sports, F10-530 D M Sports and the now discontinued Mercedes E 350 CDI. (Many may argue that its a no brainer to put the old E-Class here but the value proposition that this car has to offer it does warrant a close look before looking elsewhere.)

My office moved to what is now a 5 minutes walk from my residence and of the two cars that we owned, had to sell the i20 Elite as we didnt feel the need to have two cars. My wife uses my chauffer driven Cedia to commute to work. I hate to hand over my beloved Cedia to the driver but i just dont have any option after i persuaded wifey to sell her i20.

I do enjoy my drives and I drive on weekends and on our monthly trip to Lonavla and on a six monthly trip to either Mahableshwar or Goa. Annual run never exceeds 10k kms.

The G30 M Sports is just a brilliant, technology laden piece of equipment that drives like a dream and looks gorgeous. You have to see it in flesh and blood to believe it. Its priced a steep 75 Lacs OTR Mumbai. If i go for this it will be in white as the M sports package looks just amazing in that color and highlights the various character package thats on offer.

The F10 M Sports thats on offer is a 2017 production car in white that has the soft touch/soft close door option that was not available before and is not available in the G30 even. Guess they did that to move some inventory before the G30 launch. So that will be a novelty if i decide to pick it up. Its priced 65 lacs OTR Mumbai. The price should go down even further if i make up my mind and sit with the dealer with the booking amount.

The E350 CDI is actually a 2015 production model in white color that was used as a demo vehicle (not a test drive car). It has done 1500 kms. Its priced 53 lacs OTR. A discount of approx 28 lacs from its sticker price. It comes to me as a new car with three years of factory warranty and all the pros that comes with a new car. It drives great as well!

We are a family of 4, that includes my 10 year old and my 14 month old.

Really looking for your comments and suggestions on the options presented above.
Thanks and Regards

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th July 2017 at 09:40.
Old 27th July 2017, 07:29   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
The decision to buy a mid sized luxury vehicle has been on my mind for the past two years or so. An impending move to the US for work being the foremost deterrent. Last month i finally decided to have my allegiance to Modi Sarkar as opposed to Trump comedy show and consequently a decision to buy a mid sized luxury vehicle was finally made.
I would definitely have a look at the G30 530i. I know it's not a 6 cylinder but it's 250bhp and would be cheaper than the quote you have for the f10 530d. I would rule out the E350 for sure.

Last edited by GTO : 27th July 2017 at 14:56. Reason: Trimming quoted post
ac-cobra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks