Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 15:15   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If anyone feels any difference from a fuel additive, it is perhaps the best example of the 'placebo effect'.
).
I would agree, I dont believe in any fuel performance enhancers, none what so ever. Here in Europe most petrol stations will have at least two variants on sale for every fuel. So for instance, at a Shell station you can get regular Euro 95 or Shell V Power.

The latter is usually some 10-15 Euro cents more expensive than the regular Euro. For that price premium you are supposed to get better performance, better fuel efficiency and less engine wear. Similar for diesel fuel.

I have been running company lease cars for decades. Whichever car or lease company I have been working with, not a single one advises to go for the V-Power premium fuels. With their fleets of tens of thousands of cars they are actually in a good position to measure the actual effects and they have found none. Only extra cost. So if the likes of Shell can't improve on their own regular brand the likelyhood of any improvement coming from an occosional bottle emptied in your fuel tank is slim at best.

There is one exeption though, particular, specific to old petrol cars.

Some of these engine wont do well on unleaded petrol. Valves and valve seat wear down without lead.

Adding a substitue lead additive to protect the valves is actually a well proven solution for these old cars. They have been tested extensively over the years by various classic car magazines / clubs and the consensus is that it does work, up to a point.

The alternative, changing out the valves/seats for hardened one is an even better, but far more costly solution.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 18:12   #872
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I have been running company lease cars for decades. Whichever car or lease company I have been working with, not a single one advises to go for the V-Power premium fuels.
You bet! Surprising how the guys who built the car say no to additives, but their retail outlets (no doubt, target driven) push them:
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2018, 19:08   #873
BANNED

Quote:
If anyone feels any difference from a fuel additive, it is perhaps the best example of the 'placebo effect'.
I differ here. I have used Sys-D for significant distances both on my Scorpio and Pajero Sport and have continuously experienced a minimum difference of 10% each time. Performance of course, hasn't ever been hugely different.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 06:13   #874
BHPian

I used Shell VPower or BP Ultimate in my M3 and it ran better . Maybe higher performance engines like higher octane. Let me check if I have the Dyno records lying somewhere , will post them

Last edited by Sem80-88 : 17th February 2018 at 06:16.
Sem80-88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2018, 12:29   #875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sem80-88 View Post
I used Shell VPower or BP Ultimate in my M3 and it ran better . Maybe higher performance engines like higher octane. Let me check if I have the Dyno records lying somewhere , will post them

You need to use a fuel with an octane number recommended by the manufacturer. If you use a fuel with a lower then recommended number you are likely to notice this in engine performance.
The other way around, your manufacturer recommend a low number and you put fuel in with a higher number, typically does nothing for engine performance.

On a technical/chemical note high octane fuel has more additives then low octane fuel. (In layman terms, they have to add all sort of crap to stop it burning so quickly)

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2018, 06:54   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
Could you please explain in detail. What is a rat map? I'm facing too many problems with these rats.
I don't know what the rules are on hyperlinking here. Look up "rat mat" on Amazon by the brand PCI. Put a few around each wheel at night. When I thought about it, the wheel was the only way a rat could enter, and so I created a moat around that.

Mind you you will catch a few lizards etc and they will die because of the gum but that's part of it. If you can accept that this solution is bulletproof. In time, you will also notice the rats stop landing on the mats because they know the mats are danger and hence they just overall stop getting near the car.
sboddup2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2018, 01:03   #877
BHPian

For all the 530D aficionados out there a 2016 530D has come up for sale. Go pick it up while it lasts. Still under warranty and asking 45. I'm tempted to go have a look at it, but currently in the US.

https://www.olx.in/item/bmw-5-series...tml#8a0f3d6af0

Hope this is the correct thread to draw attention to this AD!

PS: I do not know the seller or the dealer. Since I was looking at buying a 530D myself have set filters and this came up.

Last edited by raj981 : 7th March 2018 at 01:06.
raj981 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 08:47   #878
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj981 View Post
For all the 530D aficionados out there a 2016 530D has come up for sale. Go pick it up while it lasts. Still under warranty and asking 45. I'm tempted to go have a look at it, but currently in the US.
Looks like a sweet ride. My favourite exterior + interior colour combination, and just 12,000 km. As good as new. Price can easily be brought down by a handful of lakhs. Nothing quite like buying a car still within its factory warranty and then getting extended coverage upto 6 years.

Would advise anyone considering this to do a full PPI & due diligence on why she already has 2 owners.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 13:34   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Would advise anyone considering this to do a full PPI & due diligence on why she already has 2 owners.

Exactly! Would personally screen the car even more, 2 Owners and such a low mileage is a Red Flag for sure, Also this car has been on sale for a long time, I remember seeing this few months back too, So another point to be noted.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2018, 15:16   #880
BHPian

Quote:

I think that car is flood affected in recent mumbai floods. She must have been restored, but due to complex electronics there might be some or the other issue popping up. There are many luxury cars which are affected in floods and these cars are brought in used car market at a dirt cheap price. This might be the reason for her to have 2 owners under 2 years with just 12000 on odometer.
ShubhamGhute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2018, 13:08   #881
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Realised something last night.

You know how some cars will 'upshift' in the middle of a corner and make you lose your balance (even in M mode)? The 530d doesn't when you're driving hard. Must have a yaw sensor or something dictating that to the gearbox, but it'll hold the gear.

It's the little things, really .
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 19:42   #882
BHPian

For all those looking for a Pre Worshipped 530D, here's another neat 530D for sale, from our very own Team Bhp classifieds:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...5-Series.html/

PS: This ad popped up on the classifieds section, I do not know the owner.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-bmw-530d.jpg  

Last edited by Prathiiik : 26th March 2018 at 19:54.
Prathiiik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2018, 20:49   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prathiiik View Post
For all those looking for a Pre Worshipped 530D, here's another neat 530D for sale, from our very own Team Bhp classifieds:

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...5-Series.html/

PS: This ad popped up on the classifieds section, I do not know the owner.
That's bhpian harishv, his take on the car can be found on post #498 of this thread. A great low mileage example.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2018, 08:25   #884
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
That's bhpian harishv, his take on the car can be found on post #498 of this thread. A great low mileage example.
A great example indeed. However, I think the market for high priced F10s has disappeared (as evidenced by how long this car has been on sale). Reasons:

1. A glut of 2010 - 2012 F10s in the 20 to 25 lakh range.

2. The launch of the G30.
Old 5th April 2018, 09:14   #885
BHPian

Quote:
A.
Spotted your car on the expressway few minutes back. Couldn't stop as was in a hurry to reach my plant. Did indicate and flash though but maybe you missed it. Was in a red Honda City, 1626.

Your car looks in great condition
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed