Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 07:46   #1141
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Now time for alarm bells
Way too many red flags on this one. Sometimes, if a deal doesn't feel right, just walk away. Plenty of other fish / 530ds in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
The car is worth 15 tops and set aside another 10 for the inevitable maintenance.
Both your numbers are wrong. A 2014 car will get far more than 15 lakhs, and no, these cars don't need 10 lakhs in maintenance. I haven't spent even 30% of that amount in 6 years.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 09:21   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Way too many red flags on this one. Sometimes, if a deal doesn't feel right, just walk away. Plenty of other fish / 530ds in the market.

Both your numbers are wrong. A 2014 car will get far more than 15 lakhs, and no, these cars don't need 10 lakhs in maintenance. I haven't spent even 30% of that amount in 6 years.
Your car is nothing like the one in consideration. Second owner, third user and 10k of running in 6 years is not something I can believe. Owner is overseas, probably doesn't care and the paperwork doesn't reflect actual usage.
Maintenance has been ignored, and that means trouble for any engine, this one is a high performance German. I'll be OK to pay a bit more in case this car has warranty /service pack left, it doesn't seem to. Your advice is to walk away, so we agree on that.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 12:09   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
As a rule of a thumb I would avoid any car with two owners unless it's some classic, a single owned car is preferable. 10k kms sounds too good to be true. The best way to verify this is to check with the BMW service station. Call up their service center and give them the vehicle no and the current owner's name and ask them when the last service was done. If they say anything more than what is shown on the car's ODO stay far as possible from this car. I would suggest you buy something with ongoing warranty.
Not all 2 owner cars are worth ignoring. Many times the first owner is company and second owner is the car to whom company offered as a part of perk. Many times it is inter family transfer. In my opinion, we are unnecessarily scared too much to take a bit of risk or pain. Not everyone is going to get a ideal deal (30-40% depreciated within 2-3 years), sparingly used etc etc. Most people who buys such car over their cheaper counterparts is because of additional bling it offers or buyer is a true enthusiast. In both cases, the reason for sale is updated model being launched, a bigger expense at stake, income tax gains or moving out of country OR it simply has crossed 1 lac kms, which is good enough for first owner to think about selling and upgrading.

Practically, you need to first make up your mind that you definitely are looking for a used example. Then set your criteria right. 80K highway run car in less than 3 years is a better example than 25K B2B traffic run car in 3 years, considering both have idrive service history available. I would say even if it is not maintained at BMW authorized service station, look for where it was maintained, if at all maintained. How do you think those FNG service stations survive, if everyone uses authorized service center. I know of many here in Gujarat, who just visits showroom for delivery of their car, that also at times they bring in from outside because of a good deal.

Yes, India lacks the professional skills when it comes to FNG compared to overseas, but the point is FNGs are capable enough to maintain your car.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 01:15   #1144
BHPian

Is a 9 year old Nov 2010 530d worth a consideration if i want power on the cheap? Apparently only done 55k kms. If yes how much would you pay for it?
Old 4th December 2019, 07:54   #1145
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Is a 9 year old Nov 2010 530d worth a consideration if i want power on the cheap?
I wouldn't mind holding my own German car for 9 - 10 years, but there is no way I'll buy someone else's 9 - 10 year old car (simply because I don't know anything about its history).

I'd say AVOID.

Also, no such thing as a cheap 530d. Everything is expensive with this car, even the insurance & tyres!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2019, 08:08   #1146
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
I wouldn't mind holding my own German car for 9 - 10 years, but there is no way I'll buy someone else's 9 - 10 year old car (simply because I don't know anything about its history).
!
This is way too general a statement in my opinion.

Some of us (including myself) just do NOT have and probably will never have the luxury of buying this level of vehicle brand new on “first owner” basis.

Quite apart from the fact that it is quite nutty to spend such vast cash on an asset that depreciates at rocket speed and the taxes and insurance besides, when bought new.

Now, I just sold my 8 year old Skoda Yeti and every shred of paper and record pertaining to that car was given to the buyer.

And, I just bought a 7 year old BMW Mini Cooper and every shred of record pertaining to this car is available.

Therefore, I submit that as long as one is satisfied with the records and the vehicle is adjudged to be in good nick, why should one not consider buying it and why should one pass up a fair price offer?
shankar.balan is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 07:48   #1147
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is way too general a statement in my opinion.
If you want to buy a 9 - 10 year old German car, please go ahead . I don't have the risk appetite for the same. Take a look at the "imports gathering dust" in India thread to see just how many of these have been abandoned because of steep repair costs. There is a reason that 10-year old Germans have negligible demand in the used car market. Don't forget that the 5-Series is basically a shorter 7-Series. The repair costs & its sheer complexity can be eye-watering.

Quote:
Some of us (including myself) just do NOT have and probably will never have the luxury of buying this level of vehicle brand new on “first owner” basis.
Yep, a lot of those who bought old S-Class' also thought the same. Most of them are lying in junkyards today, including some bought by BHPians.

In almost all cases, those who buy 9 - 10 year old high end luxury cars end up being the final owners of the car.

Quote:
Quite apart from the fact that it is quite nutty to spend such vast cash on an asset that depreciates at rocket speed and the taxes and insurance besides, when bought new.
I agree. That's why I buy pre-owned too . But there is a difference in buying a 5-year old German and a 10-year old one.

To put things in perspective, my advice = buy a newer 3-Series than an old 5-Series, or a newer E-Class than an old S-Class.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 19:43   #1148
HMV
BHPian

Quote:
Is a 9 year old Nov 2010 530d worth a consideration if i want power on the cheap? Apparently only done 55k kms. If yes how much would you pay for it?
Good Question! Well, someone in my family (who's a dealer) bought a 2011 520d, 120K kms run. We got it from him to drive for a week. To be honest, it was a fantastic car! It was flawless, both mechanically and electronically even at 120K kms. It drove well without any rattles (however, have heard that most F10s start rattling after 50K kms) and was really well-maintained. The F10 was quite reliable car than the E30 (E30s were never known for their reliability). The one we drove even had electronic motors working properly and silently which, i feel, shows it's great electronic reliability. Engine too, was not lacking power in any way and that fantastic ZF gearbox was also working flawlessly.

Keeping these points in mind, i feel, that the 2010 car won't disappoint you either since all you want is power but as GTO said, you need risk appetite for a 9-year old car. However reliable F10 may be, age cannot be defied and you may need to replace age-related components more sooner than you expect and no spare of this car is cheaper, not even the smallest one. My advice would be that you get atleast a 2012 or later model since most of the issues would've been ironed out by then and it would be a better alternative to a 2010 car. Most 2012 models can be had for ~15 lakhs, in excellent condition, if you do your research well.

PS: You should also look out for 2015 320ds or 2012-13 520ds if 530ds are a bit out of your budget.
HMV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2019, 20:28   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
That depends predominantly on what you were paying for it and if you could verify the claimed condition of the car.

If the asking price is reasonable, then you absolutely HAVE to send it to BMW for an inspection - GTO's explained why this is essential in this very thread.

If it ticks both these boxes, then you just need to figure out what you'll be pony-ing up in routine maintenance on a 9-year old car - and if that's palatable, do it. Keep in mind though that routine maintenance on a 5-er can cause some serious pucker-factor, and I'm not talking about your face.

As an option, also check out pre-owned 328i's. Same performance figures as a 530d and you'd be giving yourself options. 2013-2014 328s from BMW Premium Selection could be had for about 18L and the upkeep on a 3-er is a lot lower, relatively speaking.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th December 2019 at 08:04. Reason: Minor spacing
ghostrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2019, 07:53   #1150
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMV View Post
Well, someone in my family (who's a dealer) bought a 2011 520d, 120K kms run. We got it from him to drive for a week. To be honest, it was a fantastic car! It was flawless, both mechanically and electronically even at 120K kms.
I have to admit that I'm very pleasantly surprised with the top-notch quality of parts + construction + engineering in this car. My car has crossed 40,000 km and there have been ZERO mechanical or electronic issues till date. In comparison, my brother's far simpler VW Jetta has had a couple of sensors go bad, an air-con issue and yesterday, the gear shifter linkage broke (she went away on a flatbed truck).

Quote:
Keeping these points in mind, i feel, that the 2010 car won't disappoint you either since all you want is power but as GTO said, you need risk appetite for a 9-year old car
That's my point. No matter what 10 year old car you buy - even a Honda Accord - the odds are stacked against you in terms of expenses.

Quote:
You should also look out for 2015 320ds
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
As an option, also check out pre-owned 328i's.
I'd any day go for a newer 320d / 328i than a 9 - 10 year old 530d.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 07:55   #1151
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Remember the water leakage issue I'd faced a couple of years back? Turns out it is a known problem with the right-hand-drive F10.

Quote:
As usual check for water leaks in the interior and occasionally check or try to clean the area under the bonnet hinges which can accumulate dirt or leaves over time. And if you are buying a car with right hand drive then it’s really important to check and modify a plastic cover on the firewall. Because cars with right hand drive have a yellow insert on the left side of the firewall. It would be all great and awesome if BMW would not cover this area with a badly designed plastic cover, since over time dirt and dried out leaves will accumulate in this area clogging it up, causing the water from the windshield filling up this area and it will slowly leak thru the yellow insert right into the interior. The plastic cover is located behind the engine-it is held by 4 screws and it’s not extremely hard to remove it. (but it’s also not easy and if you have a V8 engine then there won’t be room to remove it from the engine bay so in this case you can try to remove it from underneath the car) All in all, you should drill holes into this cover or slightly modify it to get a better water flow and get rid of this issue.
Source

Also check post #10 in this thread. The issue is so common that it's a sticky thread on that forum.

All Indian F10 owners should get this checked on their cars!

Also, I noticed something on Saturday. Probably the only part of the car that shows its age and has prematurely worn out.
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20191214-16.10.18.jpg

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-untitled.png

The left side is better, but still wearing out:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20191214-16.10.38.jpg
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 08:21   #1152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also, I noticed something on Saturday. Probably the only part of the car that shows its age and has prematurely worn out.
Attachment 1945995

Attachment 1945997

The left side is better, but still wearing out:
Attachment 1945996
Eeeks, looks ugly on your beast.

Is it a functional rubber strip holding the screen in place or more a filler? Am assuming experts like Windshield Experts can easily remove it and replace with a OEM strip?? With BOM's ferocious rain and the potential speed of your beast, there a real chance of water ingress as it deteriorates further.

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st December 2019 at 08:28.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 09:17   #1153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I noticed something on Saturday. Probably the only part of the car that shows its age and has prematurely worn out.

It happens in most cars parked in open/ shed (Not in covered Garage) And if I am not mistaken, you cannot get this rubber gasket replaced, the whole glass needs to be changed. Exactly this thing happened to my X6 around 5th or 6th year of my ownership. BMW guys in those days were super helpful and replaced the whole rear glass under warranty.

Nowadays, they don't usually approve such wear and tear parts under extended warranty but make an exception when taken nicely with the right people. I am sure they will get this done for you
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 17:55   #1154
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Checked - this isn't covered in warranty, not for a car now entering its 7th year! Entire windscreen doesn't need replacement (just removal). Will get it fixed in the next service.

Still disappointed with the sub-standard quality of this part.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2019, 19:50   #1155
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
If you want to buy a 9 - 10 year old German car, please go ahead . I don't have the risk appetite for the same.

To put things in perspective, my advice = buy a newer 3-Series than an old 5-Series, or a newer E-Class than an old S-Class.
I just bought a 7 year old Mini Cooper S - same BMW. It had done only 33732 when I took it.

Now in the last 3 weeks to 4 weeks, my Dad and I have taken it to various places in and around Bangalore and have managed to clock another 1400 odd kms in it.

It has now crossed 35100 kms.

I’m planning to get it serviced at CarSmith Motors this coming weekend. We will flush the engine and change the oil out entirely, flush the radiator and change the coolant out entirely too. Apart from this, the disc rotors need to be skimmed and restored. The rubber strips on the windscreen cowl are slowly becoming brittle.

Some of these old parts need changing so I’m going to take it slow and do a careful restoration.

Maybe as you say I will be the 2nd and last owner of this Mini Cooper - but thats fine. I anyway intended to hang on to it and enjoy it for atleast 5-6 years until the FC lasts.

No more new cars for me, at these horrible prices.

I’m staying on the pre-owned path.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th December 2019 at 08:05. Reason: Spacing for improved readability
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks