Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:38   #1246
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

It is always the engine which makes or breaks any car .lf you have a great engine, good dynamics and a beautiful looks then go for the car. Everything else comes secondary. The beauty of F10 530d lies in these three things which makes it a great car and elevates it above its rivals and siblings.
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 12:38   #1247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you are thinking of buying a 520d, DON'T. Pay the extra money for the 530d. The smiles & pleasure over a 10-year period will be worth every paisa of the premium. On the other hand, if you buy a 520d and then test-drive a friend's 530d, you will always regret getting the 4-cylinder.
A friend tried to get me to test his 530d - I pointedly refused. Am very happy with my X3 20d - see now reason to compare it with a 520d and then get myself down.

Nice updates for the 530d. Would not go for the remaps - but am debating whether to change my tires later this year. But for the lockdowns, I would certainly have done that towards the year end - but with just 700 km covered in the last 5.5 months and return to work not on the cards, I have been debating whether to keep the run flats a bit longer. Will cross 30,000 km in the next week - but the runflats seem to be in good condition and I don’t need a change.
Hayek is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 20:55   #1248
BHPian

Quote:

If you are thinking of buying a 520d, DON'T. Pay the extra money for the 530d. The smiles & pleasure over a 10-year period will be worth every paisa of the premium. Beg, borrow or steal and go for the superior engine. You will never, ever regret it. On the other hand, if you buy a 520d and then test-drive a friend's 530d, you will always regret getting the 4-cylinder.
SPOT ON GTO ! I was a victim of what you said.After driving my friends 530d i regret my decision of going for the 520d instead of 530d. It been 4 years since i have been using my 520d.

If not for the lockdown i would have upgraded to 530d by now (I usually change my cars every 4 years) .

But then in the current scenario what i decided is to hold on to my 520d (which still drives beautifully) and upgrade to a F10 530d by next year. Holding on any big investments in this trying times.Thought at times, its tempting everytime i see a 530d on the road.

The only issue my bmw520d is having now is 2 things. One is that the keyfob battery getting drained in every 2 weeks. I had got a quote of 35k from the service centre to replace the Keyfob. But then I got a quote of 18k through one of my contacts I knew who had worked in that service centre.So most probably by this week I will be changing the key Fob

The second thing is that one of my alloy got bend (Momo 18 inch) and I had put in a tube of 17 inch for time being. It lasted for a month.But then yesterday I missed a hump and by the time I reached home the the tube had failed and the tyre became flat again.
What the tyre dealer said is that putting 17 inch tube in the 18 inch alloys is not a big issue as he had done that with other cars,but now after this incident i doubt his theory.

He said 18 inch tubes wont be available and the the maximum s 17 inch tubes which has to be stretched to fit in a 18 inch alloy,like what i did. Can anybody here throw some light on what i should do in this situation. Changing alloys is out of the question as you wont get to buy a single alloy and the set of 4 Momo alloys costs a bomb.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd August 2020 at 21:33.
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 21:11   #1249
BHPian

Quote:
If you are thinking of buying a 520d, DON'T. Pay the extra money for the 530d. The smiles & pleasure over a 10-year period will be worth every paisa of the premium. Beg, borrow or steal and go for the superior engine. You will never, ever regret it. On the other hand, if you buy a 520d and then test-drive a friend's 530d, you will always regret getting the 4-cylinder.
Word.

The 530d is such a massive jump over the 520d, it's mind-boggling.

Beemer's great at this - their base model engines are great, but their 6 cylinders move the goalposts all the way into another district, they're THAT good.

This is something they're still doing - the F and G generation 340i's are such a massive upgrade from the 4-pots that they beggar belief.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2020 at 06:16. Reason: Minor spacing for improved readability
ghostrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 00:12   #1250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Had my first highway drive after all the enhancements & I am frankly blown away!

+

Engine remap

If you own an F10 or G30 530d, you MUST consider these 3 enhancements. I knew the stuff has made the car better, but I'd only driven it in the city so far, due to the lockdown.
Can you please share the complete details of the engine remap you undertook here? Will be useful know all the details please. I am also keen on doing this one thing by November or December.

Thanks.
Old 24th August 2020, 10:53   #1251
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just got to know that the gearbox remap has also given my car launch control . 0 - 100 time of <5.5 seconds claimed. Not bad for a large, fat & diesel family sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
The beauty of F10 530d lies in these three things which makes it a great car and elevates it above its rivals and siblings.
The combination truly rocks. The way things are going, I'm easily going to keep her for another 5 years (i.e. until she is 12).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Will cross 30,000 km in the next week - but the runflats seem to be in good condition and I don’t need a change.
You should definitely keep the runflats until they have worn out. They're so much safer too for highway runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Holding on any big investments in this trying times.
Likewise! Me too not spending any money on the Thar, although I really want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can you please share the complete details of the engine remap you undertook here?
Got it from your neighbour (Akshay1234). 310 BHP & 650 Nm. Rest of the details, best you get from him as I didn't ask too much (I trust him with my eyes shut).

Last edited by GTO : 24th August 2020 at 10:55.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th August 2020, 13:08   #1252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just got to know that the gearbox remap has also given my car launch control . 0 - 100 time of <5.5 seconds claimed. Not bad for a large, fat & diesel family sedan.

The combination truly rocks. The way things are going, I'm easily going to keep her for another 5 years (i.e. until she is 12).
I've had the gearbox remap for a few years now and I completely love it. I'm so glad Akshay convinced me to go for it.

Quote:
You should definitely keep the runflats until they have worn out. They're so much safer too for highway runs.
This is the one area where I just haven't compromised. In Nov 2019 my runflats were due for change and I just changed them to company spec RFTs again. I simply cannot do away with the peace of mind they provide on a highway, despite all the other shortcomings. They were changed just a little under 40,000 kms so I am happy with the mileage I got out of them.

Quote:
Got it from your neighbour (Akshay1234). 310 BHP & 650 Nm. Rest of the details, best you get from him as I didn't ask too much (I trust him with my eyes shut).
That I agree - I also would trust him completely for this kind of stuff. But for him, I would never have touched my gearbox also during warranty. I'm headed straight to him post October (5th anniversary) for a similar remap that he's told me about for my car. Can't wait to feel the difference with both the gearbox as well as the engine remap tag teaming in my car.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 04:56   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaydh View Post
GTO, don't you think retrofitting the facelift F10 headlamps would add to the appeal of the car? I have a facelift F10 (although a 520d), I simply l-o-v-e the LED headlamps. I think they'll set you back by around 50-60 grand. Attaching a photo from Tanveer's thread. On a side note, I've clocked roughly the same distance as your ride.
Where did you get this M wing mirrors from? And if you dont mind me asking how much did they cost. They look beautiful.
Old 29th August 2020, 21:16   #1254
BHPian

Guys, is it possible to get a single alloy of Momo Revenge 18 inch alloys (Used or New)

One of the alloy of my 520d 2012 model has been damaged and the tyre shop people are telling it cannot be rectified as the air is leaking from the alloy lips (not an alloy bend)

As of now he has put on a tube for it, infact a 17 inch tube for the 18 inch alloy as 18 inch tubes are not available in the market (As per him) Tyre is fine only the alloy has to be changed.

I do have a doughnut tyre as a spare ( Which i Had Brought from BMW) but the momo set I have is only a set of 4 (should have brought a set of 5). Till now the tyre is running fine with the tube though i have not run much after the replacement (1 month)

But then for long drives i don't think i will be confident enough to ride with the tube inside.

Can anybody here advice me on any alternate solution for this other than using tube inside the damaged alloy (which i feel is just a temporary solution)

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2020 at 06:18. Reason: Minor spacing
Old 29th August 2020, 23:38   #1255
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, is it possible to get a single alloy of Momo Revenge 18 inch alloys (Used or New)
Contact Sai Mag Wheels.

They ship all over India.

I had procured a set of 4 Momo alloys from them.

I think they can sell you a single piece as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...46ff4f52db11ed

Last edited by suhaas307 : 30th August 2020 at 06:18. Reason: Minor spacing
ishlinea7260 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 12:50   #1256
BHPian

BMW F10 strange tyre pressure warning

Hi guys I have a 2012 Bmw 5 series (the F10 model). I had changed the original alloys for aftermarket ones. While doing so I had also removed the tyre pressure sensors from the alloys, off late while going for slightly longer drives, I keep getting tyre pressure loss messages on the dashboard. I'm confused because there are definitely no tyre pressure sensors on the wheels, then how is it that im getting these tyre pressure loss messages.

Any help or advice would highly be appreciated.
Old 30th August 2020, 13:16   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW F10 strange tyre pressure warning

I didn't know F10 came with TPMS sensors. Are you sure?

Don't you have to tell the car that you have removed TPMS sensors? I would have expected it to throw errors about missing sensors.

Maybe in the absence of sensors, it is using indirect way of detecting pressure loss (by measuring the variation in tire rolling dia based on ABS, etc.) and reporting the same.

I would be curious to know the reason behind this.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 19:43   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Contact Sai Mag Wheels.

They ship all over India.

I had procured a set of 4 Momo alloys from them.

I think they can sell you a single piece as well.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...46ff4f52db11ed
Thank You. I Contacted them.They do sell single piece but then they said they got to check if the same model is there in stock or not. Told me will check and come back to me by tomorrow. Even if there is no stock of the same model they can procure it if i give them a order i guess.

Did not know they were the official dealers of Momo in India
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 13:46   #1259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As of now he has put on a tube for it, infact a 17 inch tube for the 18 inch alloy as 18 inch tubes are not available in the market (As per him) Tyre is fine only the alloy has to be changed.
One thing I have learnt with these high-end cars is, there is just one way to do things. And that is the RIGHT way. Systems and procedures are everything for German cars. I wouldn't suggest ever driving with a smaller tube size.

Quote:
Did not know they were the official dealers of Momo in India
ishlinea7260 made a superb recommendation. I bought my Civic's 5-spoke rims from Sai Mag Wheels & the entire purchase experience was A+. I was very keen on a set of 5 (4 is the norm today), and they accommodated that too .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:43   #1260
BHPian

Re: BMW F10 strange tyre pressure warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

I would be curious to know the reason behind this.
The thing is I had changed the alloys 3 years back and the tyre pressure loss messages are coming in now, im really confused.

Most Viewed