Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:15   #1261
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW F10 strange tyre pressure warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_66 View Post
The thing is I had changed the alloys 3 years back and the tyre pressure loss messages are coming in now, im really confused.
First you need to confirm which type of TPMS your car has - direct (with sensors in the wheels) or indirect (ABS based). I think F10 did not come with direct TPMS in India but I could be wrong.

If it is indirect TPMS system, it simply means the car detects a mismatch between the rolling diameters of your wheels. Indirect TPMS measures number of revolutions per minute all the wheels are making - if there is a significant mismatch between different wheels then it gives out TPMS warning.

Wheel diameters can differ due to multiple reasons:

1. Difference in tire pressure, lower pressure = lower rolling diameter.
2. All tires are not of the same profile spec
3. Tread wear depth is not uniform
4. Internal tire damage that is not able to hold the shape/profile of the tire under load

You get the idea. If you are able to rule out the above causes, I can think of a crude way to find out the faulty wheel. Ensure equal tire pressure, park the car, take a chalk and mark the tires at the bottom most position of each wheel (6'O clock). Drive for few meters and observe the new position of the markers - they should all be roughly at the same clock position. Worth giving it a shot.
androdev is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:32   #1262
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Guys this Query is for all 530d (F10) Fans especially to GTO.

I have got an offer from a used car showroom here in Kerala to exchange my 2011 520d which has run Run 78k km (3rd owner) with a 2012 530d M Sport (Single owner)
Its a very clean car which has run 80k but in mint condition.

The deal which was offered to me is to give my 520d+5 lakhs (negotiable) to get the 530d.

Im a big fan of 530d with its inline 6 cylinder so its a tempting offer for me just for
the sheer driving pleasure :-)

But then I want to know if its worth the extra cost i should give if i go for this deal.

There are not 530d's available in the used car market here.

Also some people are telling the 530d maintanence cost is very high compared to the 520d. Is it true?

Should I go for it or hold on to my 520d for a little more time and upgrade to the new used 530d (G30) which might take at least a year or two.

Price can be negotiated but I'm in two minds whether I should go ahead and crack a good deal on this or let it pass.

I reckon there are so many 530d owners here who can guide me on this about the worth
of the 530d compared to the 520d.

Last edited by lancer_maniac : 5th September 2020 at 19:36.
Old 5th September 2020, 19:45   #1263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
I don't own a 5 series but definitely you shouldn't go for a 80k kms run car however mint the car may look and feel, I suggest hold on to your 520d and purchase a used (G30) 530d after a year or two.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th September 2020 at 08:25. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a long post is inconvenient for our readers accessing via smartphones.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 19:55   #1264
BHPian

Quote:

I have got an offer from a used car showroom here in Kerala to exchange my 2011 520d which has run Run 78k km (3rd owner) with a 2012 530d M Sport (Single owner)
Do you know more about the history of the car? Do you personally know the owner of the car?
If not, I'd suggest you keep the 520d you've owned for 9 years and go for the G30 facelift once you have the funds for it. Please also do keep in mind that that one failure on the 30d and you'll be eyeing 6 digit repairs. If you still find yourself interested in the 30d, please do check the timing chain as well. Timing chain failures are fairly common in early N57 engines if not serviced regularly.

Last edited by advaydh : 5th September 2020 at 20:00.
advaydh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 20:44   #1265
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm.. I thought single owner 530d would command more than 5L premium compared to 3rd owner 520d of similar vintage. Not to mention the limited availability of 530d.

Continuing to own your 520d also carries similar level of risk. If the car is fully dealer maintained with clean history, then I don't see it any more riskier than continuing with 520d.

One thing I should tell you though. The legend of 530D was shaped during the time when 520d was the only alternative. We now have a competent petrol 5 series and 530D doesn't have the same monopoly. Something to consider if you are going through the hassle of replacing your 520d.

Replacing 520d itself is a very good idea. I do not like bmw 2L diesel, it's a terrible engine planted into a great chassis.

Last edited by androdev : 5th September 2020 at 20:48.
androdev is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 22:56   #1266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post

One thing I should tell you though. The legend of 530D was shaped during the time when 520d was the only alternative. We now have a competent petrol 5 series and 530D doesn't have the same monopoly. Something to consider if you are going through the hassle of replacing your 520d.

Are you saying the petrol 5 series is comparable to the 6 cylinder diesel?? I am not second guessing you. Genuinely curious for some more detail on this. Have not driven either for any meaningful kms.

Thanks.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:55   #1267
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
If the 530d is well kept & non accidental with a genuine ODO reading then please do consider the offer. Just for a 5-lakh Rupee difference if you can get a newer car with a better engine and less number of owners then you should definitely consider getting it. For a well maintained 530d, 80k KMs honestly is nothing. There are examples around running with twice of this car’s ODO reading. Please get the car checked by a competent mechanic.

Last edited by vb-saan : 6th September 2020 at 08:24. Reason: Please quote only the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a long post is inconvenient for our readers accessing via smartphones.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 11:00   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Are you saying the petrol 5 series is comparable to the 6 cylinder diesel?? I am not second guessing you. Genuinely curious for some more detail on this. Have not driven either for any meaningful kms.

Thanks.
Very poor analogy but here it goes: BMW 2L diesel = economy class, 2L petrol = business class, 3L diesel = first class. You don't have to think twice if you are asked to pick economy vs other classes for the same price. But if you are asked to pick between business class vs first class for the same price - it's not an obvious decision. For friends/family traveling together, business class is preferred. Poor analogy but things get more nuanced when it is business class vs first class.

IMHO, "power with refinement" is a key a trait of a luxury car. 2L diesel has adequate power but it lacks refinement expected in this segment. 2L petrol would be more refined than 3L diesel in majority of real-world mixed driving conditions where outright power is not so important. Individual preference for petrol vs diesel also comes into play.

We bought a 2L diesel as we could not afford the 3L diesel and there was no turbo petrol option at that time. I like the 5 series a lot but the 2L diesel was such a poor choice. Don't mean to offend any 2L diesel owners - I understand we all have our constraints and preferences. Just that I feel 2L petrol should be considered by both 2L diesel and 3L diesel prospective buyers as it offers a sweet spot when it comes to cost, power and refinement.
androdev is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 11:32   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Its a very clean car which has run 80k but in mint condition
My two cents: Better a known devil than an unknown angel.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:34   #1270
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No man, as landcruiser123 said, a known devil is better than an unknown angel. I don't mind owning my own car beyond 7 years & 80,000 km because I know its history, but I would never ever buy someone else's 7 year / 80k km car. Could be shady.

Quote:
Should I go for it or hold on to my 520d for a little more time and upgrade to the new used 530d (G30) which might take at least a year or two.
perfect.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2020, 08:19   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Got to love that reflection! Moderator Vid6639 always gave me grief about the swirl marks on my bonnet (guessing the previous owner didn’t use microfiber cloth!!). It’s the first time that my car is without any swirl marks – they were there even when I took delivery & neither Kamyo nor 3M could remove them. First thing I got out of this place, I sent Viddy a pic. He visited my place yesterday; first thing he did after walking into my building was lift the cover and carefully study the bonnet . Watchman was wondering who this strange fellow is!
Attachment 1644725
What attention to detail.
Even the reflection has the teambhp number plate.
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 12:26   #1272
BHPian

Been following your bmw thread from quite some time and i too own a 530d f10 from the past 5 years.

I am writing to you to get your advice on one of the issues i am facing with the car.
After a long drive (1.5-2hours) the car refuses to start and gives an ignition fault on the dash. Fault diagnosis showed glow plug related faults for all the 6 cylinders so i thought it must be the glow plug control unit which has failed. I replaced the glow plug control unit but the fault remains. Does the glow plug control unit needs to be programmed? Do i need to change all the glow plugs?

What is your advice on the above issue.

Best regards,
German_clan
German_clan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 12:40   #1273
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_clan View Post
What is your advice on the above issue.
Complex issue = Visit the authorised workshop. They might diagnose the problem fast. Or a really good independent who knows his BMWs.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:48   #1274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_clan View Post
After a long drive (1.5-2hours) the car refuses to start and gives an ignition fault on the dash. Fault diagnosis showed glow plug related faults for all the 6 cylinders so i thought it must be the glow plug control unit which has failed. I replaced the glow plug control unit but the fault remains. Does the glow plug control unit needs to be programmed? Do i need to change all the glow plugs?
When you say doesn't start, does it crank and not start, or not crank at all? And after about an hour or two, does it start then? If so, then look at your starter motor.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 12:03   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
When you say doesn't start, does it crank and not start, or not crank at all? And after about an hour or two, does it start then? If so, then look at your starter motor.
It doesn’t even crank. Checked the starter motor it is in good health. This only happens after a long drive and when the engine is hot.

The fault codes also say something related to glow plugs.(all of them)

Maybe i should just replace all the glow plugs too. Since my car is appx 10years old now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks