Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 11:42   #1291
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
2nd issue with the car (1st was the water leakage years ago). Saw these error messages after an outing and turns out, the "wheel speed sensor" is busted. Part cost is under 10k. Car drives just fine, but better to be cautious & not push it. Going in for replacement this weekend.

Attachment 2061946

Attachment 2061947

Attachment 2061948
Yup. You'd have probably seen a TPMS failure warning as well.
The car will drive absolutely fine, but you still need to get it replaced as quickly as possible.
I've had this issue on the 328i, @iliketurles had this issue on his 328i, and @karan561 has had this issue on his 328i.

It's a fairly quick and simple fix that the workshop will be able to do for you in quick-time.
ghostrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 12:41   #1292
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
The car will drive absolutely fine, but you still need to get it replaced as quickly as possible.
Which exact part would need to be replaced? What is it called? Thanks.
Old 9th October 2020, 13:54   #1293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which exact part would need to be replaced? What is it called? Thanks.
It's called a wheel speed sensor, as Casper the friendly Ghostrider mentioned. I've had this fail twice on the 328i, and once or twice on the Jetta before that. Don't worry, just drive nice and steady (I'm dead certain you do). It's a quick fix, no biggie.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 01:33   #1294
Distinguished - BHPian

I had the same issue on my 328i as well
Except in my case traction control didn't work, guessing ABS won't work either (though I don't have first hand experience with that thankfully).
It's a quick fix, but one that should be done as soon as possible.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:14   #1295
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Thanks a ton, guys! Somehow, the error has all but disappeared. Had taken the car to Madh Island yesterday and some other places. 100 km in total, no error, all seems to be well .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 14:33   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
^ Thanks a ton, guys! Somehow, the error has all but disappeared. Had taken the car to Madh Island yesterday and some other places. 100 km in total, no error, all seems to be well .
Seems like you've got that rare model, the 530D-SHE, or Self Healing Edition.
Jokes aside though, my error disappeared after a day as well, but chances are it'll recur. I did some reading on the forums and the general consensus was that you need to get it fixed asap. Driving with a dodgy WSS can send the car into Limp Home mode.

Last edited by ghostrider : 11th October 2020 at 14:35.
ghostrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:24   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had this error crop up some 200-300 KMS from Goa, and then go away, before returning permanently just as I was entering Goa. Chances are it will return, it's a sensor on the way out. If you do a scan, it won't show up, but it'll likely go kaput at some point. I've never experienced a Limp Home Mode with it, either on the Jetta or 3, but I was unable to activate Sports mode. Everything else worked just fine.

I hope it's somehow fixed, but I fear otherwise. Anyhow, keep an eye out for it.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:48   #1298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have experienced 3 wheel speed sensor failures on my Jetta and this is the exact pattern:

- The sensor will throw up and error randomly but it will go off after a while on its own or after cycling the ignition. It won't come back for 15 days or even a month

- A month later, all the lights will come on and the sensor stopes working completely

The disappearing of ABS and TC warnings doesn't mean error codes won't exist. All one has to do is pop the scanner and check the faults history. I did the same for my Jetta and got the sensor replaced as a precaution.
vishy76 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:46   #1299
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some observations on the remap, now that I've driven it a lot.

- Damn FAST. Fast like no diesel family sedan has the right to be. Any passenger who experiences the explosive mid-range is either or . A friend of mine recently told me that her stomach started feeling funny after a fast overtaking manoeuvre.

- Drive hard on the open road for 60 - 90 minutes and the temperature needle moves to slightly over half, and then stays there. This wasn't the case before where it would remain stuck at the 50% level only.

- Drinks oil. Today, the car asked me for a top-up of 1 liter. In all my years of owning the 530d, this is the first time I'm going to be topping up engine oil between services.

- Bury the pedal in "comfort" mode and she'll upshift @ ~5,300 rpm in a smooth, seamless manner. Do it in "sport" mode and she'll upshift aggressively at the same revs with a mild thud, a bit like the M5.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 17:55   #1300
BHPian

Quote:

- Damn FAST. Fast like no diesel family sedan has the right to be.
This is EXACTLY the reason why I want one! I have never owned a diesel car before but I'm more than willing to lose my virginity with this one.
Old 1st November 2020, 18:43   #1301
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Drinks oil. Today, the car asked me for a top-up of 1 liter. In all my years of owning the 530d, this is the first time I'm going to be topping up engine oil between services.
Spoke to Akshay who says its because my car has been seeing 5300 - 5400 rpm too often. Have had a couple of Pawna / Lonavla runs and its impossible not to redline the beast.
Old 1st November 2020, 20:15   #1302
Team-BHP Support

Just got my own remap done taking the 2 litre GT to a modest 225 bhp / 480 NM torque. The car feels smoother and definitely explosive in the mid to high rev range.

The gear box tune is due to be done in Diwali. I’ve been doing frequent solo bbay Pune trips on and off since I’m living in both cities for lockdown. It’s just the perfect timing to enjoy the remapped GT. I’m generally sensibly quick but ever since the map, I’ve driven in pedal to the metal mode after many years now. Fact that I’m solo is of course contributing to that too.

More detailed report on my GT thread once the gear tune is done as well.

PS: re my earlier post - my bad all I had done earlier was activating some sports features on my gearbox. A few years ago.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 23:04   #1303
BHPian

Quote:

- Drive hard on the open road for 60 - 90 minutes and the temperature needle moves to slightly over half, and then stays there. This wasn't the case before where it would remain stuck at the 50% level only.

- Drinks oil. Today, the car asked me for a top-up of 1 liter. In all my years of owning the 530d, this is the first time I'm going to be topping up engine oil between services.
Aren't these two signs of the remap being too aggressive?

Quote:
- Bury the pedal in "comfort" mode and she'll upshift @ ~5,300 rpm in a smooth, seamless manner. Do it in "sport" mode and she'll upshift aggressively at the same revs with a mild thud, a bit like the M5.
Do the auto upshifts with the gearbox in D/S mode happen at ~5300RPM?

This is just plain wrong. Since your engine is not a twin turbo (like the 535d), it would not produce peak power close to or beyond 5000 RPM, even with a remap. See attached dyno graph as a reference. I think your gearbox remap may be to blame for modifying the shift points to be too high. For best performance, it makes no sense to rev beyond 4400-4500RPM and the original gearbox tune would have shifted accordingly.

About the thud - since you had the sport auto gearbox, didn't you get the same thuds even without the gearbox & engine remaps?
Attached Images

d3mon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 08:47   #1304
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Just got my own remap done taking the 2 litre GT to a modest 225 bhp / 480 NM torque.
Hardly modest! That's more than the 6-cylinder F10 525d made. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Aren't these two signs of the remap being too aggressive?
Not the temperature as I've seen it climb up to the same level (a little above half) in high-stress situations. Had posted earlier on this thread of how it reached the same while climbing the Panchgani ghat once. Drive normal and the temperature is fine, but it went higher after continuously driving hard for 60 - 90 minutes.

The oil consumption was an unpleasant surprise. It is something I will be monitoring.

Quote:
Do the auto upshifts with the gearbox in D/S mode happen at ~5300RPM? This is just plain wrong
It would go to 5400 - 5500 rpm even when stock, but just in Sport+ mode.

Quote:
For best performance, it makes no sense to rev beyond 4400-4500RPM
True. But the engine sounds awesome at high revs, its very free-revving & a lot of fun!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 12:14   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
It would go to 5400 - 5500 rpm even when stock, but just in Sport+ mode.
I think you are talking about Manual mode. The auto shift points weren't set at that level for sure.

Here's the stock behavior for manual mode:
In every mode other than Sport+, the transmission auto-upshifts at a certain RPM (>5000RPM). This behavior is disliked by a few, especially on a track, as it does not give full manual control to the driver. This is why in Sport+ mode only, the car will rev to the redline and stay there without upshifting.

With the gearbox remap - Perhaps the auto upshift in manual mode has been disabled even for comfort / Sport modes too. This is fine.
However, the programmed AUTO shift points mustn't be above 5000RPM. Can you confirm that when you are in D/S modes (not Manual), the 'box does shift at reasonable RPMs, even with the throttle pinned to the floor?
d3mon is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks