Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2020, 13:42   #1306
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
The auto shift points weren't set at that level for sure.

However, the programmed AUTO shift points mustn't be above 5000RPM.
Too good, man! Thanks a ton. This is it. Am going to watch the oil consumption, but if it gets bothersome, I'm going to move back to the stock upshift rpms in "auto" mode.

Yes, you are bang on. I was comparing the earlier "manual" upshift points to the new "auto" levels.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 14:26   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Too good, man! Thanks a ton. This is it. Am going to watch the oil consumption, but if it gets bothersome, I'm going to move back to the stock upshift rpms in "auto" mode.
Please do move back to the stock shift points. BMW programs every gearshift for each gear keeping in mind the exact torque curve of the engine. If you compare acceleration of 530d to the 535d for instance on youtube, you'll clearly see that the 535d consistently shifts at higher RPMs in the same engine/gearbox modes. And every gearshift (2-3 / 3-4 / 4-5...) is done at different RPMs keeping in mind the power available AFTER the upshift is equal or higher than the power BEFORE the upshift (the RPM drop is different in each gearshift as per the gear ratios).

Not only are you getting higher engine wear, higher EGTs are another big issue with revving remapped diesels so high. I'm sure your engine is pulling back performance by cutting fuel & boost when the EGTs get too high to maintain safe operating temps for the Turbo. You can log them easily with OBD tools. I think it's important to keep an eye on these parameters on a remapped car.
d3mon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:16   #1308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Bury the pedal in "comfort" mode and she'll upshift @ ~5,300 rpm in a smooth, seamless manner.
Quote:
Do the auto upshifts with the gearbox in D/S mode happen at ~5300RPM?

For best performance, it makes no sense to rev beyond 4400-4500RPM and the original gearbox tune would have shifted accordingly.
Quote:
I think you are talking about Manual mode. The auto shift points weren't set at that level for sure.

Here's the stock behavior for manual mode:
In every mode other than Sport+, the transmission auto-upshifts at a certain RPM (>5000RPM).

With the gearbox remap - Perhaps the auto upshift in manual mode has been disabled even for comfort / Sport modes too. This is fine.

However, the programmed AUTO shift points mustn't be above 5000RPM. Can you confirm that when you are in D/S modes (not Manual), the 'box does shift at reasonable RPMs, even with the throttle pinned to the floor?
I am the least technically qualified to comment on this between the three of us but just putting some intuitive two cents based on my understanding from the points above. I am trying to understand it better too with the benefit of both of your posts / inputs.

Is it possible that with the remap, it is only when you "bury" the pedal, even if in comfort mode, it allows the upshift at ~5300 (similar to what it would have done previously only in Sports + mode. But in normal use of D / S mode, it continues to shift at "reasonable" RPMs?

If that is the case, perhaps that sort of behavior change would be ok since it would only apply occasionally?

PS: @d3mon: On the text I underlined from your quoted post, I assumed you meant "<" 5000 RPM and that the ">" sign is a typo.

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd November 2020 at 17:20.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:33   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Is it possible that with the remap, it is only when you "bury" the pedal, even if in comfort mode, it allows the upshift at ~5300 (similar to what it would have done previously only in Sports + mode. But in normal use of D / S mode, it continues to shift at "reasonable" RPMs?

If that is the case, perhaps that sort of behavior change would be ok since it would only apply occasionally?
Yes of course, upshifts would happen sooner with <full throttle application. But this is not the point.
Full throttle should give you the best performance, and you actually lose performance by going beyond ~4500 RPM.

Quote:
PS: @d3mon: On the text I underlined from your quoted post, I assumed you meant "<" 5000 RPM and that the ">" sign is a typo.
No, I meant that the "forced" upshift when in Manual mode + Sport Plus mode is around or above 5000 RPM. This is basically the Gearbox just being disappointed in you for not having shifted manually earlier and forcing the shift on you.
d3mon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:23   #1310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is a no-brainer, if things are getting pushed beyond reasonable limits issues like oil consumption will happen. If it has happened once, the same scenario will repeat and will be severe as wear increases. If you wish to retain the car in pristine condition for long, I would strongly recommend resetting to lower (oe) limits. Remap is fine but don't fiddle with the upper limits at RPM and shift points, mechanical failure will be the eventual result. Tuners might disagree and convince you otherwise, but trust me on this one especially since you enjoy mashing it down for long.
Jaggu is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:48   #1311
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please do move back to the stock shift points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This is a no-brainer, if things are getting pushed beyond reasonable limits issues like oil consumption will happen.
After reading your posts, I am thinking of moving back to the stock gearbox remap itself. The ZF is anyway a brilliant gearbox in stock form. Will retain the engine remap, but go back to factory revs & gearbox tune. Thank you!

Quote:
If you wish to retain the car in pristine condition for long, I would strongly recommend resetting to lower (oe) limits
Yes. Objective is to keep her for minimum 5 years more (i.e. until she is 12 years old).
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 22:59   #1312
BHPian

Guys, How much will a timing chain of the 530d cost (2012), Mine is making a kat kat sound now. It's driven for 116000. I guess as per the company the timing chain has to be replaced every 1 lakh kms.
Old 18th November 2020, 23:14   #1313
BHPian

Maybe try getting a quote from the ASC? Things like timing chain are best done at BMW service center only.
Yakuza is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 02:42   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_maniac View Post
Guys, How much will a timing chain of the 530d cost (2012), Mine is making a kat kat sound now. It's driven for 116000. I guess as per the company the timing chain has to be replaced every 1 lakh kms.
Aren't timings chains supposed to work for the life of the car?
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 07:28   #1315
Team-BHP Support

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast

Quote:
After reading your posts, I am thinking of moving back to the stock gearbox remap itself. The ZF is anyway a brilliant gearbox in stock form. Will retain the engine remap, but go back to factory revs & gearbox tune. Thank you!

Yes. Objective is to keep her for minimum 5 years more (i.e. until she is 12 years old).

1. What is the current status of the gearbox remap. Is it on or off. Also, would you care to share some thoughts of what the engine map feels like with as well as without the gearbox map?

2. Coming to the point of 12 years of ownership got me thinking on a related aspect. With modern cars getting so electronic (so to speak), have we effectively seen the end of the Modern Classic. People have successfully held on to their Mercedes and BMWs from the 90s making them somewhat of modern classics for collectors. Given a choice, I would have loved to keep my own GT forever and just let it age as a classic. But I wonder if that is even feasible at all anymore. (Lets keep environmental and licence RTO certifications aside for a moments. Are these cars even capable of being kept forever and just allowed to age and become classics. Not sure BMW (or similar) will make parts, whether electronic components will survive that process etc.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th November 2020 at 10:04. Reason: Formatting quoted post
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 23:02   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
Maybe try getting a quote from the ASC? Things like timing chain are best done at BMW service center only.
Yes that's what I'm thinking of. Even the local garage guys told me first to check with the ASC like you said and also check whether any campaign is there related to call back off timing chain (Mine is a 2012 model 530d) or anything relating to that for that matter. Except for the last service all the service has been done by the ASC. So if not for the recall I hope at least I get some goodwill consideration for the timing chain replacement.

Any idea how much we have to shell out normally for a timing chain replacement?

Last edited by ajmat : 22nd November 2020 at 14:41. Reason: campaign spelling
Old 22nd November 2020, 14:33   #1317
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys, How much will a timing chain of the 530d cost (2012), Mine is making a kat kat sound now.
Take it straight to the dealer. Don't drive it. Timing chain is very serious.

Quote:
1. What is the current status of the gearbox remap. Is it on or off.
On, but I'm upshifting at factory rpm limits.

Quote:
With modern cars getting so electronic (so to speak), have we effectively seen the end of the Modern Classic.
Great point and I concur. No one will maintain 20-year old BMWs of the current era as people do the far simpler W124. These cars are way too complex and IMHO, not designed to be run for over 15 years. The electronics & complexity mean huge repair bills that will far exceed the value of the car by the time it is 13 - 15 years old. Just see how many W220 S-Class are lying abandoned all around India. You can buy them for as little as 1.5 - 2 lakhs . No one will touch it with a barge pole.

Quote:
So if not for the recall
I guess there were known issues / recall with the 520d's timing chain, not for this engine.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 17:29   #1318
BHPian

Quote:

Great point and I concur. No one will maintain 20-year old BMWs of the current era as people do the far simpler W124. These cars are way too complex and IMHO, not designed to be run for over 15 years. The electronics & complexity mean huge repair bills that will far exceed the value of the car by the time it is 13 - 15 years old. Just see how many W220 S-Class are lying abandoned all around India. You can buy them for as little as 1.5 - 2 lakhs . No one will touch it with a barge pole.
You are right GTO, checked with the ASC by providing them the VIN number and they told no recall campaign is there for my model.
And after thinking so much, I decided to give it to a local Garage here (Who I know personally and they do a good job on these European cars especially)

They checked and reverted to me today telling me that along with the Timing chain the Turbo Hose also should be changed (as it has a minute leak)

As now they have dismantled everything to change the timing chain I was advised to clear any other issues (if found) also by checking in detail including change of oil and oil filter. As of now the timing belt and the turbo hose are what they found. Hope there won't be any further issues.

I need some help from you guys (especially 530d owners) on how to go ahead with this repair. They have told me it will take at least a week to complete these repairs, starting with timing chain replacement. I have the pics which I will post here if needed. Any advice will be appreciated.

Quote:
Take it straight to the dealer. Don't drive it. Timing chain is very serious
Luckily no damage to the other engine parts is there apart from the timing chain replacement.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th November 2020 at 10:05. Reason: Back to back posts. Quoted replies trimmed.
lancer_maniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 12:23   #1319
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And after thinking so much, I decided to give it to a local Garage here (Who I know personally and they do a good job on these European cars especially)
As long as you trust the independent . That is most important. I also have my inner circle in Bombay (Akshay, Shanbagh) who I trust with my eyes shut.

Quote:
I need some help from you guys (especially 530d owners) on how to go ahead with this repair.
Especially because your car is high mileage, you should stick with their recommendations.
Old 30th November 2020, 06:49   #1320
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Us Parekhs live for road-trips . While I have many highway trips every month, they are all 1-day drives thanks to this stupid pandemic that cancelled all our holiday plans.

No more . We have now decided to take a workcation every month - perhaps a week long - at our holiday home.

Beautiful car:
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20201129-12.16.20.jpg

We've taken two cars to accommodate everyone & everything. I don't trust the Sunny, nor my kid brother's driving. So I was tailing him 98% of the way, except some mountain roads where I needed 'cornering therapy'
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast-20201129-12.07.39.jpg
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks