Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 09:58   #61
BHPian

Re: My 2015 Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium

When I joined T-Bhp, I was sure I would be the youngest BHPian. I have never been more wrong! When I was your age, I barely had the patience to do my homework, let alone writing such comprehensive ownership reviews. Kids these days, I tell you!

I was of the belief that Ford stopped selling the Fiesta Classic. No matter how old this car is, it's got the basics such as ride, handling etc. on point. I have a Figo, so I know that the interiors are something you can surely live with. She's quite a looker too, proportions are perfect. In this segment, the Fiesta would still be my car of choice.

Please do keep this thread updated! cl

Last edited by SS8939 : 4th November 2015 at 10:04.
SS8939 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:11   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the car and an excellent, well written review. Wish you all the best.

With such good writing skills, I guess writing all those exams as you progress through your education will be a cakewalk
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:24   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
In the long run Ford ASS is a gamble at best, misdiagnosis and overcharging is prevalent. So please do subscribe to the Total Maintenance Plan/Extended warranty options. Spares and consumables - coolant/engine oil are a bit difficult to find or simply not available in the open market, so do stock up from the dealer before long trips.

Aspects related to spares and service is something that kept me away from upgrading to duratec 1.6 from a duratec 1.4 petrol a year ago despite the healthy discounts. I still retain the 1.4 and it sure is a pleasure to drive.
I'm surprised with these views expressed by a Duratec owner. I've never faced any issue with spares. Engine oil is freely available outside, and Ford service does not object to engine oil being sourced from outside when the car is given to them for servicing. Even coolant was never a problem. I changed it only once last year, in the 8th year of ownership.

Perhaps you meant that spares for the 1.4 Duratec are a problem, as Ford stopped making that engine around 5 years back.
This apart, Ford's TMP is a rip off. You can gather details from my LTO thread. However, I do endorse your view that EW is a must.

Last edited by vnabhi : 4th November 2015 at 10:25.
vnabhi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 10:37   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'm surprised with these views expressed by a Duratec owner. I've never faced any issue with spares. Engine oil is freely available outside, and Ford service does not object to engine oil being sourced from outside when the car is given to them for servicing. Even coolant was never a problem. I changed it only once last year, in the 8th year of ownership.

Perhaps you meant that spares for the 1.4 Duratec are a problem, as Ford stopped making that engine around 5 years back.
This apart, Ford's TMP is a rip off. You can gather details from my LTO thread. However, I do endorse your view that EW is a must.
Quote:
In the long run Ford ASS is a gamble at best, misdiagnosis and overcharging is prevalent. So please do subscribe to the Total Maintenance Plan/Extended warranty options. Spares and consumables - coolant/engine oil are a bit difficult to find or simply not available in the open market, so do stock up from the dealer before long trips.

Aspects related to spares and service is something that kept me away from upgrading to duratec 1.6 from a duratec 1.4 petrol a year ago despite the healthy discounts. I still retain the 1.4 and it sure is a pleasure to drive.

Thanks for a very well written review, there are only a few good threads on fiesta classic.

I will agree with you. Ford A.S.C. is iffy. From what I have faced, they misdiagnose, replace randomly. So if extended coverage is available, utilize it to the maximum. Once that runs out, youre still safe. Because:
I will disagree on the spares and other bits. My FNG is able to source parts and bits pretty easily. And trust me, I know about this. He's overhauled my engine, replaced the engine to the extent that only the top half of the block came with the car from the factory.
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 11:07   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Consumables in the open market:
1. I had tough time sourcing castrol magnatec 5W30 (what is used by Ford ASS) last year in May 2014. Wanted to carry an extra can for a longish drive. 10W40 is what was available at most shops out then. Not sure of the situation now. What grade does duratec 1.6 use?
2. Even today, I am not able to source original ford premixed coolant in the open market. If it is an after market compatible brand you are referring to, please do let me know the details.

Spares in the open market:
1. Had a tough time sourcing a AC condenser, finally had to fix the existing condenser by welding it. Aluminium welding is not all that common.
2. Coolant reservoir return pipe, the small return pipe that connects the coolant reservoir to the engine was not available. This was just a month back, the black plastic pipe gave away and started spewing coolant when driving. Finally had to use alternate/modified solution using a rubber hose and exiting connectors to get going. This pipe is similar to the one in Figo and Duratec 1.6.
3. Headlamp bulb - not sure if it was H1 or H7, had to ask around a bit before i got my hands on it. This was a few years ago.
4. Was successful in sourcing clutch master cylinder in the open market.
5. VSS - Vehicle speed sensor, had to go to Ford ASS.
6. Have been driving with a a leaky wiper fluid bottle for while now, it was just too expensive at ford, if i remember correctly it was priced at 4K
7. Fuel pump motor - was able successfully source a korean clone and lately a genuine bosch one.

I do read your thread and am genuinely happy for your relatively trouble free experience. Unfortunately I can't say the same for me. It hasn't been smooth sailing but then like I said once behind the wheels it never fails to put a smile on my face.

@mayankk
I do read your thread too and know the engine treatment given to both your vehicles the ford and tucson by your FNG.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 4th November 2015 at 11:30.
cyberwhizs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 11:17   #66
BHPian

Hi Neel, Its really nice to see your thread ! Appreciate your thoughts and the words you put in such a beautiful way. Though I could not finish reading your entire thread but I will definitely bookmark this and continue reading time to time. By the way sometimes I visit Burdwan while going to Berhampore (Murshidabad). Lets see if I see your beautiful cars on road we will definitely meet ! Keep revving !!!
DriveHigh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 11:54   #67
BANNED

Petrolhead_neel that is one hell of a review!

I am pretty sure it would taken you ages to compile this and to get it live. This review should stay in the homepage and for all who find writing reviews difficult.

Moreover the level of detailing - WOW! Without being behind the wheel if this is the review detail then it is hard for me to comprehend what will be the quality once you start driving the Fiesta!

Hats off to you buddy! Wish you happy miles with this Ford and get your DL soon (Grow up faster just like the way the Fiesta drives).
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 12:29   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Consumables in the open market:
1. I had tough time sourcing castrol magnatec 5W30 (what is used by Ford ASS) last year in May 2014. Wanted to carry an extra can for a longish drive. 10W40 is what was available at most shops out then. Not sure of the situation now. What grade does duratec 1.6 use?
2. Even today, I am not able to source original ford premixed coolant in the open market. If it is an after market compatible brand you are referring to, please do let me know the details.

Spares in the open market:
1. Had a tough time sourcing a AC condenser, finally had to fix the existing condenser by welding it. Aluminium welding is not all that common.
2. Coolant reservoir return pipe, the small return pipe that connects the coolant reservoir to the engine was not available. This was just a month back, the black plastic pipe gave away and started spewing coolant when driving. Finally had to use alternate/modified solution using a rubber hose and exiting connectors to get going. This pipe is similar to the one in Figo and Duratec 1.6.
3. Headlamp bulb - not sure if it was H1 or H7, had to ask around a bit before i got my hands on it. This was a few years ago.
4. Was successful in sourcing clutch master cylinder in the open market.
5. VSS - Vehicle speed sensor, had to go to Ford ASS.
6. Have been driving with a a leaky wiper fluid bottle for while now, it was just too expensive at ford, if i remember correctly it was priced at 4K
7. Fuel pump motor - was able successfully source a korean clone and lately a genuine bosch one.
Whoa. That's quite a list. How old is your car?

If the car always goes to the Ford Dealers, I don't see any issue on parts. Ford Dealers in the Metros are typically well stocked on spares. If it's not on stock, just a matter of days to be shipped from the warehouse or plant. I was even able to source a very rare Single Din Music System Bracket for the Fiesta this year. Cost just Rs.850 bucks.

If the Car goes to the FNG - My Ikon has gone to Electra-Chennai and they had no issues sourcing an aftermarket AC Condenser for it. Again, I'm not sure why it would be difficult to source an aftermarket bulb. It's fairly common.

Ford OEM Spares in the open market - I don't understand how you will get Ford OEM Coolant mix in the open market unless you purchase it from an Ford Dealership.

Also when you ask to carry engine oil and coolant for long drives, how long are you talking about? I don't think people doing 700kms one way on highways carry engine oil and coolant for modern day sedans.

Coming to Service Centers in general, yes it's a hit or miss. Just build a good rapport with the Service Advisor and the QC person (Who Test Drives the car in the Service Center) and you can hope for honest service.
Old 4th November 2015, 13:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Whoa. That's quite a list. How old is your car?

If the car always goes to the Ford Dealers, I don't see any issue on parts.
It will be 10 next Feb, so yes that was just a "part" not the complete list. Gear cable, window winders, clutch brake hoses and what not have given way in my vehicle and left me stranded quite a number of times. For a long time I used the A.S.C but like you said it is a hit or a miss and in my case it was a ok-ish experience. Drop your guard and you get ripped. Once they even poured wiper wash liquid though they were fully aware that the wiper wash tank was leaking and then had the gall to charge me for it. l got tired of dealing with the folks out there and switched to FNG options. So I stay away unless really needed.

You carry engine oil and coolant just as a contingency should there be a requirement on account of leaks or unforeseen events that occur en-route.

Regarding coolant - what's the equivalent one in the open market. Most readily available coolants(premixed or otherwise) are not the color/type which ford supplies . There may be equivalent in other colors available but frankly I don't know and if you know a equivalent brand do let me know. I will surely use it.

And from the discussions it appears that maybe my FNG is not all that resourceful as those you all have interacted with.

Last edited by cyberwhizs : 4th November 2015 at 13:19.
Old 4th November 2015, 17:01   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

That's very unfortunate. Not the kind of experience you should have had with a Ford.

Regarding the coolant I've no idea if it's available outside but you can try and ask a Ford Dealer to sell that to you if its sold in retail volumes.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 17:48   #71
BHPian

Great review Neel

As an ex Fiesta 1.6 owner, may I pitch in with a small suggestion. Please get the front number plate portion covered with Black vinyl. That would look like the 1.6S variant.

I don't think you would get bored with the 1.6 anytime soon. But if you are planning on a resale say after 5-6 years. Please don't do it! Change the colour to Aquarius Blue and enjoy the beauty
Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 19:10   #72
BHPian

Fantastic job, kiddo!! Congratulations on the Ford, and a huge kudos for your dedication. Was really impressed by the level of detail, and more importantly the age-defying maturity shown throughout the review.
BS Motoring had a wonderful tagline- "Do you have it in your blood?" From what I've read in this review, I can certainly say, "Hell yes, this boy does!" It's a big shame that both the Fiesta and BS Motoring are no more among us (both are still around in other forms, but are just not the same anymore).

I also totally agree to what you said of the Fiesta (I'd prefer calling it the Fiesta, thanks Ford!) earlier in the review. It is a car that can work very decently as a regular car, and when the time comes, put a wide grin on your face. It goes on to prove that a solid mechanical package goes way beyond curvy designs and gadget-laden interiors to widen a car's appeal. It is simple, no doubt, but it feels special.

And there's a reason why I brought BS Motoring into this topic. The reason is, the Fiesta was like the BS Motoring of midsize sedans. BSM did not have the biggest staff, nor the largest readership, couldn't have claimed to be the "No.1 automotive magazine", or didn't have the most tech details or databases. But what those guys always offered was sheer joy. The joy of genuine humour and witty style of writing. The smile I had after completing a Motoring issue was always far wider and lasted much longer than anything else. But I think they felt short of petrolheads to support them, and went into deep trouble. The team slowly parted ways, and financial and other problems led to a takeover. A most unfortunate end to a brilliant magazine.

It's the exact same story for the Fiesta. It never had the most power, or the most space, or the curviest lines, but beyond the simple styling and hard-wearing interiors, it had SOUL. The mechanical package was to die for: a naturally aspirated petrol, a fantastic chassis, firm enough suspension, a hydraulic steering, and a slick five-speed manual. And we all here know how brilliant the 1.6S was. So I won't bother to talk too much about it.
Unfortunately, it couldn't survive in a 'premium' hunting world, and had to die a sad death. Today, there are very few cars under a million bucks that have the same kind of character as the Fiesta does- one is the Linea classsic, its direct rival. That one apparently won't last too long either. The newer cars have all gone soft and beige and chrome and compact. Even Ford are starting to have different 'Aspirations' these days. Changing times, what else. Hopefully things change for the better soon.

Anyways. There is something awesome about a kid who is absolutely nuts about cars (I have been one until not too long ago as well ). I turn 18 the coming April, and can't wait to finally (officially) get behind the wheel for real! You have a much longer way to go, and that you can spend increasing your knowledge. Keep up the great work.
Finally, congrats once again, and best of luck for your future.

{PS: IMHO, the stock black grille looked much better on the car than this silver one. What do you think?)

Last edited by mukul32 : 4th November 2015 at 19:38.
mukul32 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 19:52   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

13 years old and i don't know what to envy.

Your style of writing that seems like its a legit TBHP official review.
Or that you could convince your parents to buy one of the last breed of FTD cars, which you could probably sneak out to drive (DON'T DO IT) or you could wait 4 years to get it in your hands and have the dream of any 18 year old enthusiast.

Way to go Neel,

And to think at your age i was comparing the spec sheets of different cars at the back of Autocar magazine. and making car noises when moving around.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 20:36   #74
BHPian

You are an absolute gem my child. One day, I wish to have a son like you. Rating the review a well deserved five stars
karuvally is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 00:25   #75
BHPian

If anybody asks me about this car, I'm simply going to point them towards this thread and hope that they don't explode with so much information. Fantastically done brother.

When I was 13, I used to wake up early on Sundays to try to catch Doraemon on Hungama. I joined team bhp when I was a little over 15 and I thought that was something to be proud of! Neel Oh Neel, man, you have proved to everybody that age is just a number. You're looking at a very refined motoring career ahead of yourself buddy. Keep it rocking!
createrkid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed