Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 06:48   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha

Congrats Sandeep. Short and crisp report. Those alloys and beefy tires does change the look of the car. I wish it had a better front end. Can you let me know the make of the HIDs? I did see it's output.

Keep the thread updated and enjoy the Hippo!
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 10:34   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Brown Little Hippo: Maruti S-Cross DDiS 200 Alpha

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 9th September 2015, 11:19   #18
BHPian

Congratulations on the car and an excellent write up. Nice picture comparisons as well. The car looks beautiful on the side profile with your new alloys and tyres. Have a great time with your new car.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:26   #19
BHPian

Many Congratulation and nice review. More pics of HID and LEDs would be great.
Planning to book 1.6 next week and will go for either blue or brown.
chaudharysaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 11:57   #20
BHPian

Re: My Brown little hippo: S cross DDIS 200 Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
Sizing the S cross

Problems I noted with the car - Niggles - (After 1000km on the odo)

1. The left wiper blade is flimsy and does not clean well. The left spray nozzle (wash wipe) is not working properly.
2. The mode button on the steering wheel for the avn is a bit tacky and the system is sluggish to respond. The navigation system is useless IMO, you ll be better off using google-maps on phone.
3. The remote / key is flimsy and is scratch prone
4. It is not easy to engage reverse gear in this car. Had similar problem with the Dzire as well. Compared to this, engaging reverse gear in the 1.6 is a breeze.
5. I could not find a remote hatch/boot release button or a lever. I was never able to open the hatch when the engine was running. Had to stop the engine, take the remote with me and then only the boot opened. (Am I missing something)
Congrats sandygordon. Nice and unbiased review. Wish you many happy miles with the Hippo.

We have talked a lot about the +ves and -ves of the car and had our fair share of arguments to buy one. Now that we can't go back, let's talk about the issues we are facing. This is all from my 20 days/2200 km ownership of a hippo in a different shade.

1. The left wiper blade is flimsy and does not clean well. The left spray nozzle (wash wipe) is not working properly.
Haven't faced this issue. Both the front and read blades and nozzle works fine.

2. 2. The mode button on the steering wheel for the avn is a bit tacky and the system is sluggish to respond. The navigation system is useless IMO, you ll be better off using google-maps on phone.

Agree with this statement to some extent. The single most irritating issue currently I am facing is with the AVN. Yes the system is buggy or I would say the car deserves better. The mode button is not tacky, but yes lazy and this happens often when you use USB/AUX/IPOD. Regarding NAV system, I won't say it's useless, but lacks the proper navigation DNA. Maps are not updated and the route option is missing.

Talking about the problem I faced. Sometimes when I start the engine, the music comes up with a high volume and subsidizes gradually. The high sound is unbearable and might hamper the speakers. Raised this issue with Maruti. Yes they have taken proactive steps along with Bosch engineers, but couldn't find out the reason. They will probably change the system as I am not ok with experimenting on my car. Other owners please check if you are facing similar issues.

3. The remote / key is flimsy and is scratch prone.
Not sure, but I have taken precaution and given it a cover. You can find some key covers in ebay/amazon.
http://www.ebay.in/itm/271940332360?...84.m1439.l2649

4. It is not easy to engage reverse gear in this car. Had similar problem with the Dzire as well. Compared to this, engaging reverse gear in the 1.6 is a breeze.
It's hard for first couple of days, but after first service and munching some good miles it's now much smoother. But, the rear camera with guide lines is a bit lazy to appear on the AVN.

5. I could not find a remote hatch/boot release button or a lever. I was never able to open the hatch when the engine was running. Had to stop the engine, take the remote with me and then only the boot opened. (Am I missing something).

There is no remote hatch/boot release button or a lever. But, you don't need one.

If engine is running - Use unlock button on the door pad which will unlock the doors. This can be programmed. Use the push button at the hatch to open.
This is a boon for daily office security check. Easy, isn't it.

Some other bits.
Even my gear stick has a scratch on the gloss.
My FE in bangalore traffic is hovering around 17 with ACC. I think the wider tyres taking a toll on the mileage.
sou_3749 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:28   #21
Team-BHP Support

Congrats sandygordon and thanks for the detailed and unbiased review, one of the reasons why people rate the tbhp owner reviews so highly. The way I have seen Ertigas pull on the highway with the 1.3 MJD, I was quite sure that the S-Cross 200 would also be a decent performer. Wish you many miles of happiness.
BlackPearl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

@sandygordon: Congratulations on the great buy. It does look pretty imposing in that shade of brown and those alloys. What were the folks at maruti smoking when they decided to go with those hideous set of alloys? What makes matter worse is changing the 'eye-sore' leading to warranty getting void for suspension(Is it confirmed?).

Wish you all the best with the Hippo. Do update once you decide to go for a remap. That would help you extract the true potential of this car. Somehow I feel this one would remain understated somewhat like Punto 90HP. A heavyily built(in a good way) car with excellent dynamics but an underpowered engine(DDiS320 being out of reach for many folks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Its really the tax-structure which is playing the spoilsport in Bangalore...
Here in Ranchi, Add a few grands to that figure of 13.9 lacs and you can get yourself a 1.6 Zeta!!!
Indeed mate. I bought my estilo back in 2010 in jamshedpur and paid an LTT of around 8-9k for the new car. This year brought it to Banaglore and LTT asked was a whopping 43k for a 4.5 years old car
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 12:32   #23
BHPian

Re: My Brown little hippo: S cross DDIS 200 Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Congrats sandygordon. Nice and unbiased review. Wish you many happy miles with the Hippo.
Thanks.
I have ordered two silicone covers.
My FE is hovering at 15 to 16 kmpl in city after the initial 500 km
1.5-2 kmpl loss for wider tyres is acceptable for me
Will try the boot release (Thanks)

I have asked the service team to install the mud flaps
Rainguard has also come - Rs 1400 for a set. Not yet decided whether to go for it
Spoiler is ready, but I stayed away from it.

Last edited by sandygordon : 9th September 2015 at 12:46.
Old 9th September 2015, 13:01   #24
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Sandy on the Brown Hippo acquisition, wishing you infinite miles with smiles on the Hippo!

This was one thread i was really looking forward to - I'd seen your posts almost every day during the S-Cross and Creta launches, you did do some flip-flop (S-Cross 1.6 Vs S-Cross 1.3 Vs Creta, etc), before making your decision on the S-Cross

Lots of useful information on the thread, thanks for sharing
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 14:05   #25
BHPian

Congratulations!! I liked the logic behind going for the DDIS-200 i.e. "winding roads, can't go beyond 80kmph and so a 320 is not required"; all of this made sense.

You've done the right thing by getting rid of those alloys. The new alloys and rubber counter the otherwise boring looks and your choice of alloys was fantastic. My initial impression when I saw the video review was "why is Maruti giving wheel caps on a top-end car??". You said there could be warranty issues due to the tyre swap. Aren't you worried that such issues may arise or is Maruti okay with it?

Wish you many miles of driving. Drive safe.
Old 9th September 2015, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Hi Sandygordon,

Many congrats on your purchase!
Brown is the color, that really looks premium on this car in my opinion. I found this color look very good on Ciaz, Vento as well.
I recently took a TD of 200 DDiS Zeta. I found the dead pedal to be a little bit intruding and a few inches too close to the clutch. How do you find it?
The space and all round visibility is good. Sedan's space and comfort + SUV's seating position & visibility has resulted in a very nice interiors!
Many happy miles!
Old 9th September 2015, 14:55   #27
BHPian

Congratulation on your Brown Hippo... car looks great and so is the color.

How are Maxxis doing. Did you consider Michelins / Contis / Yokohama as well ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th September 2015 at 15:02. Reason: Typo
Old 9th September 2015, 14:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the great buy. Wishing you kilometers of happy ownership.

Just a question, How is the boot space in real life?
353 liters is not too much compared to you Dzire, but with it's design you might be able to fit in much more easily.

The S-Cross is a very good car from Maruti.
DDiS 200 makes a lot of sense as it's a good engine with proven reliability and fuel efficiency.
DDiS 320 is a monster, only to be let down by it's price.
Absence of a petrol baffles me.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
Bangalore on-road price of DDiS 200 Alpha is 13.9 lakhs
Premium hatch back!. I got my Scorpio S10 Automatic for 80K more!
purohitanuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2015, 16:40   #30
BHPian

Congrats on the car... esp after all the flow charts!

I am also considering the S-Cross early next year so would be great if update the thread once you have done some homework on the engine remap and warranty.

Good luck and happy miles crunching!

Most Viewed