Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2016, 12:22   #136
BHPian

Re: Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Hi! I had come across your story at a very crucial stage of the whole dilemma I had when I was in the market to purchase a car in April this year. The Civic or the Corolla. Eventually, I went ahead for the most sold car on the planet and a car that my dad swears by. His Corolla (Tourist one w/ a yellow No. plate) had done 225,000 kms all over India is a feat in itself, especially when a different chauffeur would drive it every other week.

I have one problem though, my headlight fog's up. I have upgraded the standard headlight to the '9705' & '9706' bulbs. I think it is after that my headlight started fogging up. I was thinking of going to open the headlamp, clean it and then use the transparent bond to seal the thing up, but then I suddenly remembered reading your post and that you had done something to the headlight.

Is it possible to request you to please help me out with a few pictures of the process that you have explained above? I cannot seem to find the ventilator tip which you have mentioned in the post.

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
DM99
Hi, I sincerely apologize for this delay as I was travelling and out of touch on TBHP for couple of weeks. First of all I do not have any pictures of this work. But, if the reason for the fogging is the ventilator clogging, it was simple. Just Open the bonnet and look behind the headlight. There will be 3 plugs in each of them (small 1 cm diameter plugs). Gently remove them and clean it as I saw a lot of clogging there. Hope this helps.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 15:59   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Hi, I sincerely apologize for this delay as I was travelling and out of touch on TBHP for couple of weeks. First of all I do not have any pictures of this work. But, if the reason for the fogging is the ventilator clogging, it was simple. Just Open the bonnet and look behind the headlight. There will be 3 plugs in each of them (small 1 cm diameter plugs). Gently remove them and clean it as I saw a lot of clogging there. Hope this helps.

Swami
Hi, no problemo Mr Swami. I have myself been very busy with work and every chance I get, I try and drive with my high beam on (Usually during the day not when I am in traffic and low beam in the night) on just so that the fogging reduces considerably. I will definitely check on the ventilator clogging this weekend. Hope this solves the issue!

Thank you so much!

DM99
Old 8th September 2016, 14:22   #138
BHPian

Team need help !

Gave my car for service in Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi. Upon return from service I noted that passenger seat is not locking properly in seat rail.

Upon inquiring and inspection, I was told that this is normal wear and tear in lock and needs replacements. However parts are not available in India and need import.

Now My heart does not take this "normal wear and tear" as i noticed nothing before giving car for service.

Is there a quicker way to get these spares ? Possibly cheaper ?
Old 8th September 2016, 14:25   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Team need help !

Is there a quicker way to get these spares ? Possibly cheaper ?
Try with other showrooms or FNGs. IF you are lucky they might repair it for you.
Old 8th September 2016, 15:10   #140
BHPian

Hi Swami,

I am in the market for a second hand Corolla Altis.
Going to check out a 2012 model tomorrow with 12,000 Kms on the odo.
They are asking for 7.00L.
Anything special I should be looking out for?
I also have an SX4 Zxi 2010 model. How would the Corolla compare to this car?
I am looking at using it mainly for highway running.
I see there are some posts about very costly spares, clutch issues, uncomfortable ride etc.
Guys, please advise.

Regards,
SS
Old 8th September 2016, 15:49   #141
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Swami,

I see there are some posts about very costly spares, clutch issues, uncomfortable ride etc.
Guys, please advise.

Regards,
SS
Hello SS,

When I was in the used market for a sedan last year, I was specifically looking for an SX4 or Altis or Civic. I finally had to settle down on a 2007 Corolla. But I have driven the Altis extensively.
Both the cars(SX4 and Corolla Altis) have one thing in common- perfect ground clearance for Indian Roads. In the last 11 months, My Corolla has clocked about 17k kms and mostly has seen highways and bad roads. I found no issues on speed breakers or bad roads with a fully loaded Corolla. Here are the following advantages of an Altis over the SX4-
1. The 1.8L vvti motor will offer you better FE than the sx4. The power delivery is very linear and it will plaster a smile on your face on open roads.
2. The suspension is clearly tuned for comfort and the Altis will offer you a plush ride.
3. I found the spare parts of the Corolla pretty cheap and most importantly you can order genuine spare parts online from the Toyota India website.
4. Overall the interiors feel special and the seat height isn't too low like the Civic.
5. Proven reliability for decades and most importantly the T badge.

I recently came across a 2011 VL-AT in Pune which was sold for 7L. So if you can negotiate further, you will be getting a very good deal. This is a perfect example of a lateral upgrade. Please get the service history verified from the service center before picking it up. All the best!

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 16:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Swami,

Guys, please advise.

Regards,
SS
Do get the service history from Toyota checked up and verify the ODO figures are genuine or not. You can call up the dealer from where the car was bought and ask when the last service was done for the car bearing the regn no. Keep the cars VIN NO, engine no etc with you in case the service guys ask same for confirmation.
Old 8th September 2016, 17:22   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Swami,

If you must buy an Altis , get the 2008-11 with the old 1zzfe engine; this engine is robust plus you will hit one in the 4.5-5.5lac range.Even a 90000km Corolla won't have aged.

Spares for the Altis are more expensive than the sx4 but last much much longer.

I personally like the sx4 for its driver seating position and city friendly dimensions for a sedan

However , having owned a 2003 Corolla AT(version1) and 2005 MT(version2) , I tend to lean towards that for a no nonsense and low cost ownership.

Fuel Efficiency in the Corolla beats most sedans in India hands down(including the petrol 1.3dzire)
Old 8th September 2016, 17:31   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post

Gave my car for service in Nandi Toyota, Banaswadi. Upon return from service I noted that passenger seat is not locking properly in seat rail.
This happened with my 2003 AT.The simplest solution is to push the seat back and forth a few times and see if the movement is smooth.If Yes , just observe how the seat adjuster operates and check if the lock locks properly.

If this isn't fine and the rail is dirty , please clean it with wd40.Take the seat out and do.it in this case.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 18:53   #145
BHPian

Hi Asit, Sumeet and Vigsom,

Thanks so much for the prompt replies.
It certainly helps to make a decision.

I have specifically been on the lookout for a 2012 or later model with low mileage and manual transmission and this one popped up. I had no idea that the engine is different in the 2012 model. Is this critical? I would have thought a newer version would be better?

I have been trying to bargain on What'sapp with the seller but so far he is not budging from 7.50L (That was the original price. I wrote 7.00 L. My bad). I have offered 6.8L but don't think he will bite.

I will check out with Wasan Toyota tomorrow where the car is serviced but the owner is quite confident about the car, it's mileage etc. Has been serviced yesterday (second service ???) and full zero dep insurance taken out three days ago. Only reason for selling is that neither he nor his wife drives and they can't find a driver.

The car was bought by his company for him when he worked for them. He was then given the option of buying the car after 3 years which he did. He has now left the company. Car has been transferred to his name. Has also been transferred from MH46 (wherever that is) to MH03. Number remains the same. Does this make it a "First Owner" or "Second Owner" car???

Also I now find out the car is a "G" model. I was under the impression that it was "GL". Could someone please tell me the difference between these two models - GL and G. What is missing in the "G" version?

Your prompt responses would be much appreciated.

Regards,
SS
Old 8th September 2016, 19:07   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

My replies in line with your Qs ;

Quote:
I had no idea that the engine is different in the 2012 model. Is this critical?

No at all , just trying to get you the best bang for your buck.The New engine in fact is marginally better on power , although that hardly matters.

I have been trying to bargain on What'sapp with the seller but so far he is not budging from 7.50L (That was the original price. I wrote 7.00 L. My bad). I have offered 6.8L but don't think he will bite.

7.5 is a little steep.He is expecting approx 50% of the 2012 on road price after 4 years which is too high.

Does this make it a "First Owner" or "Second Owner" car???

One owner double entry

Could someone please tell me the difference between these two models - GL and G.

GL has leather seats , power driver seat , Cruise control( VL AT had it , not sure about the GL) , lumbar support,wood finish steering wheel, HID lights and fog lamps, auto dimming IRVM and auto headlamps.

G is fine except that the fabric seats get dirty.
Regards,
SS

Last edited by vigsom : 8th September 2016 at 19:16. Reason: addition and formatting
Old 8th September 2016, 19:34   #147
BHPian

Hi Vigsom,

Thanks once again for the prompt reply.

Wow! That's a lot of difference between GL and G models. Not too bothered with leather seats and cruise control (can hardly use this feature in India) but the other stuff would have been nice.

Intention is to take the car to Wasan Toyota and get a full report from them tomorrow - provided he drops the price. Cost for the check up is Rs. 1200 but worth it for peace of mind.

Thanks again.
Regards,
SS
Old 8th September 2016, 20:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

The car was bought by his company for him when he worked for them. He was then given the option of buying the car after 3 years which he did. He has now left the company. Car has been transferred to his name. Has also been transferred from MH46 (wherever that is) to MH03. Number remains the same. Does this make it a "First Owner" or "Second Owner" car???

This is a second owner car. So if you buy it, you will be the third owner. Infact my Corolla has a similar story. It was given to the previous owner by his company and later he bought it from them after retiring. So it was used by one person but had 2 owners.

If you plan to retain the car for long then this whole third owner thing shouldn't be a problem. But before all this please get the car verified from the Toyota Dealer.

Asit
Old 13th September 2016, 01:43   #149
BHPian

Hi Asit,

Thanks for tip below.

Intention was to take it directly to Toyota before quoting a final price.

After speaking to several dealers, they all suggested I should not offer more than 6.20L so that's what I did. The owner is not willing to budge below 7.00L. The waiting game begins.

Happened to stumble on to some spare part prices for the Corolla and was quite shocked to note the following :
1. Clutch overhaul : Rs. 33,000
2. New headlight : Rs. 65,000.00 (each). I guess this may be for the latest model with LED lights.
3. Front/Rear bumper : Rs. 9500.00 + I guess at least 4000.00 for painting.
4. Bonnet : 17,500.00
5. Rear Windshield : Rs. 35,000.00
6. Doors : Rs. 30,000.00 each
7. Dicky : Rs. 24,000.00

Can anyone confirm these prices?
I remember changing the bonnet on my Qualis 12 years ago and that cost 16K with painting.

Regards,
SS
Old 13th September 2016, 06:49   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ This is what it will approximately cost you for an Altis

Headlamp 20k(for the HID one)

Clutch disc + cover +bearing 9k

Bumper 9k (painting extra)

Bonnet/boot 16k

I wouldn't go for an Altis as I find the spare parts ridiculously priced.The car doesn't offer that great a feel ;even road noise finds its way through to the cabin.

Why don't you look at the old Corolla (2007 or 2008)?

Most Viewed