Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 08:56   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Thanks for providing sizes. Only the rubber wipe is damaged for now. I will get them replaced in ASC

Regarding squeak, I have noticed this in my i10 as well where Bosch wipers are working. Though cleaning action is good, the squeak at the end causes irritation.
If you ask me these Bosch and Hella wipers are highly overrated with people believing the 'German' tag giving it a halo of fault free performance. Nothing could be further from the truth in my experience. They are certainly better than some Indian brands like Syndicate but are no patch on the genuine OEM part.

The OEM part works without squeaking or juddering and leaves no streaks or very minor streaks. And they really last a long time. Get the Toyota part and you won't regret it. The squeegees cost me about Rs 700-800 for a pair (if I remember correctly) when I replaced them back in 2013.

If you car is parked in the sunshine change the blades every 2-3 years or when they start streaking and get noisy, whichever is earlier. And if parked in the shade or in a garage change every 3-4 years. Yes, the OE parts are that good! My car is due for a new set when it goes for its annual service in late 2017.
Old 23rd March 2017, 23:38   #182
BHPian

I have a small problem on my 2006 Corolla. I had to pick my dad who was coming from outstation and started the car, but the ABS light is not turning off. I did switch off and on a few times but to no use.

I had no other choice but to drive the car.

What could be the problem?

Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience-img_20170323_233238435.jpg

KK
Old 24th March 2017, 00:09   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
...What could be the problem?..

KK
It could be a faulty sensor on the wheel hub (did you rotate the wheels recently ?)

It could be a weak battery.

It could be an actual issue with the old ABS module, not sure how likely since it should probably be designed for the life of vehicle.

Disconnect & reconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 30 mins. It'd reset the ECU & maybe the error codes will get wiped out by itself.

DO consider taking to the Toyota ASC as it's a brake (& safety) related issue. They'll fix up a diagnostic tool thru OBD and tell what could be the issue.

P.S.
I suggest going to ASC after 31st March "performance deadline"! (if possible).
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 00:26   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
It could be a faulty sensor on the wheel hub (did you rotate the wheels recently ?)

It could be a weak battery.

It could be an actual issue with the old ABS module, not sure how likely since it should probably be designed for the life of vehicle.

Disconnect & reconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 30 mins. It'd reset the ECU & maybe the error codes will get wiped out by itself.

DO consider taking to the Toyota ASC as it's a brake (& safety) related issue. They'll fix up a diagnostic tool thru OBD and tell what could be the issue.

P.S.
I suggest going to ASC after 31st March "performance deadline"! (if possible).

Just now returned home. I was worried about the lights. Wheels were rotated around 4k kms back during WA WB, but this has never happened during previous wheel rotations.

Not sure if it is for weak battery. Don't know the age of the battery as I bought it pre owned one half year back. But now a days I can feel the length of cranking has increased a bit.

I will take it to Nandi Toyota once to get it checked.

Thanks for your revert.

KK

Last edited by KK_HakunaMatata : 24th March 2017 at 00:28.
Old 24th March 2017, 00:53   #185
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
I have a small problem on my 2006 Corolla. I had to pick my dad who was coming from outstation and started the car, but the ABS light is not turning off. I did switch off and on a few times but to no use.

I had no other choice but to drive the car.

What could be the problem?

Attachment 1622274

KK

I suspect a weak battery or one of the sensors at the wheel. Get it checked at a battery shop first. If possible try out the ECU reset method for once.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 16:27   #186
BHPian

How expensive is to maintain a 10-12 year old corolla. I see a lot of used 2007-2008 corolla's in the used car market priced around 2-3L. Some of them are low run (60-70K KMS) . If the car has decent service history and maintained decently, would it be a good buy ?
Old 28th March 2017, 16:51   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I suspect a weak battery or one of the sensors at the wheel. Get it checked at a battery shop first. If possible try out the ECU reset method for once.
Thanks for your replies.

Today I went to Nandi Toyota and they checked and mentioned that the break wiring to the sensor was cut, courtesy RAT . They have joined the wires with tapes and there is no ABS warning after this. So, the rat caused a damage of Rs. 518 to my pocket.

KK
Old 28th March 2017, 17:32   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
How expensive is to maintain a 10-12 year old corolla. I see a lot of used 2007-2008 corolla's in the used car market priced around 2-3L. Some of them are low run (60-70K KMS) . If the car has decent service history and maintained decently, would it be a good buy ?
I will give a summary of my expenses and lesson learnt.

Lesson first - Always get second hand car checked by service center, whatever the fee is and get a honest review. This will save a lot of money

I purchased a 1L km driven Corolla for 2L. This car belonged to a friend. I did get this car checked from a third party and got a (verbal) report. Some problems were highlighted and some were missed.

Over all I have spend just 8-9K for regular servicing and oil in last 1 year. I plan to get it serviced every 10K or 1L which is earlier.

Other expenses went in fixing suspension (replaced one shock absorber), changed engine belt, few more parts, new tyres, new stereo etc.

Overall after spending close to 60K, I get a car which is built solid, has a great 1.8L engine with good gear ratios, easy to drive in city and on highways. There is still one more replacement but I have parked it for now as I can live with it. Due to this car I am not even thinking of buying an SUV in near future.

I am still happy with this car. Gives me peace of mind. I in-fact did a Bangalore-Goa round trip in this car and extremely happy.

I suggest:

1. Look for cars service history
2. Drive car extensively if possible
3. Look for Higher model (G or E and above)
4. Check suspension - Front, Back - Any noise is not welcome
5. Lift the car and check it from below.

Last edited by vivek.ks : 28th March 2017 at 17:33. Reason: Correcting typos
vivek.ks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 17:37   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
I will give a summary of my expenses and lesson learnt.

Lesson first - Always get second hand car checked by service center, whatever the fee is and get a honest review. This will save a lot of money
Thanks a lot. I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is looking to buy a used sedan for less than 4L. He may buy it from Toyota U trust. What is the FE you are getting on this?
Old 28th March 2017, 17:41   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot. I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is looking to buy a used sedan for less than 4L. He may buy it from Toyota U trust. What is the FE you are getting on this?
I am getting around 11 in city and 15 on higways.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2017, 19:32   #191
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Why did I buy a 12 Year old Toyota Corolla - My experience

Quote:

If you stay between 80-100kmph on our highways you can easily get around 17kmpl. I got 17.85kmpl on my pune-Ahmedabad trip in December. AC was on throughout the journey. In the city I get about 11-12kmpl. At 3L a 1.8L twin cam engine with loads of low end torque and a strong mid range, safety features, well built, high GC and spacious. I don't think you can get a better package at that price that too a Toyota. Reliability is proven over decades.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:15   #192
BHPian

My experience with Toyota Service Center is, they are very cooperative if you approach them directly with the vehicle for a check and service history. Carefully go through the same and also get a feedback on the current condition of the vehicle. So far, they have not unnecessarily advised anything to make money and they are quite honest about things. Take the feedback, drive the car and decide.

As far as the car is concerned, as other have mentioned, this is one of the BEST when it comes to buying USED as the car is solid, safe, spacious and very drivable. The highway drives and city drives are both pretty easy with its nice torque and power. Further, it ages extremely well and even when you have any issues with the spares, you can easily import them from the USA as there are hundreds of same Corolla still running there and the spares are abundant. Except for the Left Hand, Right Hand issue, most of the spares I guess are same. So, go and buy with confidence if the car is well maintained and expecting minimum repairs to bring it up to your satisfaction. Fantastic Car and as a note - My car went into floods, got it back with minimum issues and has put in 10000kms without any issues after that. No Rust, No Squeak, absolutely fine.

Swami
swami69 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 19:49   #193
BHPian

I was looking for a used automatic car. Got a quote of 4.0L for a 2009 corolla altis1.8g ran around 50000km. The seller claims full service history is available. I'm yet to see the car.
Anything specific to look into this model?
TIA
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:55   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

I was looking at a used honda civic or even a newer brio, but i guess i should open my horizon to a used corolla as well. What kind of prices can i expect for what vintage for a fully loaded safety spec car?
Old 3rd April 2017, 23:11   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I was looking at a used honda civic or even a newer brio, but i guess i should open my horizon to a used corolla as well. What kind of prices can i expect for what vintage for a fully loaded safety spec car?
You will get at 3 lakhs or so for a 2007 kind of cars. But you should check out for a well maintained cars, that will take some time. Actually prices in Mumbai and few other cities is lesser than this. That way Bangalore commands more price for pre owned cars.

KK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks