Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2015, 18:54   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imove View Post
Joy, many congratulations on the R3.
Thanks imove!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Congratulations!..
Detailed thread....
Hope to cross paths with your R3 in my Explorer somewhere on the road.
Thanks Sheel! Likewise, I'm sure!

Quote:
It is interesting to note that Mahindra did protect your price against escalation. I was planning to book a S10 4WD 7CC in the last week of September 2015. I was told that such a vehicle is only made to order and may take 4-6 weeks. I was also told in writing that any price hikes and any changes of discount schemes will be passed on to me. There were no dearth of escalation from my end but Mahindra did not relent.

I am not sure why the company's inability to supply a vehicle is being passed on to the customer.
I think passing on escalations in cost between order to delivery to the customer is standard practice in the industry. Mine was a special case. They had to actually make alterations to their ordering system, ppc system and other allied systems to get it made in the first place. I think, very responsibly , they did not want the customer to suffer for that incongruence. You may want to write into customer care (withyouhamesha.com) & Sandip Dhond and see where that takes you. All the best!

Quote:
I can sense why are you getting low FE figures. Not that it counts as you have already mentioned its advantages of the tire upgrade for you.
But would also advise others to properly test these duelers on highways prior to changing them. IMHO, they serve the purpose.
Agree. As I have mentioned, for me R3 has been bought to fulfill a different need. For 99% of buyers that are very fuel economy conscious, and who would use it for the very docile commute and the occasional vacation , 99% of the time , H/Ts are the way to go. I am fine with the reduction in economy due to the A/Ts because where I intend to take this vehicle there's nothing to be gained by saving a few Rupees worth of diesel.

Quote:
Brakes are poor and you have to get used to it.
So, I'm not the only one!! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Forgot to add 1 thing in my previous reply. The owner's manual recommends 6 litres for the oil change (maybe a few hundred ml more to accommodate the quantity that goes in the oil filter). If the ASC has filled 7 litres, please check if the oil level is above the max mark. Ideally, they should fill between 6 & 6.5 litres, and return the rest to you.
Vikram
R3 has been driven maybe 8 km since the oil change. I had been using our Milemuncher Innova for the office - home commutes , while he (R3) was parked discreetly. Your cautionary note , caught my attention.

I do recall that no oil was returned to me by the shop. That led me to believe in your suggestion that the full 7L may have been poured in. The car had not been used for more than 24 hours - so the engine was cold.

I popped the hood , and indeed the dipstick showed the oil level to be 1 cm past the Max notch. I immediately called up the GM - Mr Arya and informed him of the situation (more like gave him an earful!) .
He in turn, asked his chief technician to come to my house. One Mr. Rajinder Yadav showed up within the hour. Rajinder insisted that the oil level was okay whilst acknowledging that it was a wee bit over the max mark. We repeated the measurement several times - it was about 5-6 mm above the max on some occasions, and at the notch on others.

Per his knowledge - only 6.5 L of oil was poured by his colleague Narender (who actually worked on the car). He had apparently called aforesaid gentleman earlier today to validate this. I don't really care about the implied pilferage (not returning the oil to me). What I do indeed recall is that I had not been with R3 the whole time - having been interrupted by something else. I also recalled that Narender's work had not been reviewed by anyone at the shop.

On my suggestion, that he drain the oil a bit, and then titre to the correct level i.e. between the marks, he was OK to do so, but insisted that it's not really needed. He even suggested me to drive the car upto Okhla Service station - where they have the tools and consumables. They offered to make a special consideration for me, and open up the workshop despite it being Gandhi Jayanti!

I figured, it's nothing to open the drain plug, drain a little oil, and push it back again. And that, in all the time we spent arguing about it, he could have done this job and gone home - so there has to be some truth behind his conviction.

So, I got him to write on the bill - that the oil change has been done to his satisfaction in his capacity as chief technician.
And I have let matters be.
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-written-assurance.jpg

I don't know if the written statement will be taken as proof by Mahindra to extend warranty coverage for a failed catcon or something worse - but with social media and this forum , I know I am in good hands if something really bad happens.

In retrospect, and to be honest, I don't expect that to be the case, even if 0.5 L extra was indeed poured in. It's about tolerance and margins of error. For an engine with a 6L oil reservoir, I am pretty sure there would be enough space in the galleries to accommodate the extra half-liter, without causing too many hiccups.

What I am very impressed about - is RESPONSIVENESS. Very few companies in the WORLD are this responsive - that too on a mandatory holiday. Koncept & Mahindra - Keep it up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
One other tip that comes to mind, now that we are discussing 4WDs is that you could also consider retrofitting the Mahindra supplied MLD (Mechanically Locking Differential) to the rear of R3. It increases its capability to a significant extent. Hariya had it, and it helped me at a few crucial places in snow and on rocks.
Devdath ji: I had been mulling this option for a very long time, from way before delivery of R3.

To the extent, of having written to the H.O., and asking them to get Mahindra R&D , to provide me the dimensions of the front and rear differential.
Sadly, the email Dated: August 19:2015 and several telephonic and email followups with Mahindra H.O. has elicited no satisfactory response yet. I am told , that dimensions of the axles and differentials (to the precision needed) are not available for public disclosure.

Quote:
Dear Piran ji

Many thanks for facilitating purchase of my first Mahindra vehicle.

As discussed, I would like to improve the off-roadability of my vehicle for which I am considering after market fitment of following components.
  1. Mechanical Locking Differential (MLD) in place of rear differential. Link: http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products...als/PCT_329342
  2. e-Locker in place of front differential. Link: http://www.eaton.in/EatonIN/Products...als/PCT_329340
As I mentioned earlier, Eaton MLD used to be OEM available from Mahindra itself, and was installed at ASC in Kolkata in 2012 for one of the 2009 model 4wd scorpio purchased by one of the team-bhp members. Please refer this link for details. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post2750755. I believe, this MLD was also standard fitment on export version of 4wd Scorpio. Subsequently, it has been discontinued.

However, my need for better off-roading experience remains. I need key dimensions of front and rear differential units, to be able to purchase the right after market components from the vendor. The vendor's service establishment , do not have details of the front and rear differential measurements for the new generation Scorpio, and hence are requesting me to furnish the necessary details.

These measurements are outlined in the attached document.
diff measurements.pdf

Please can you send me these measurements, that will be of great help to me?

P.S. I am also given to understand that Mahindra makes an LSD which can be an alternative to the MLD , that I am considering. Is this true? Is there any LSD unit that can be ordered , and fitted in the ASC in place of the rear differential that comes with the car?
Regards
Joy Bhowmik
The non-response from Mahindra R&D , led me to consult with Sudev ji once more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
There is some merit in remaining OE spec. I do not think you need to worry about putting lockers just yet. I was merely wanting you to understand the shortcoming of this set up and avoid getting.

I remember a thread by KhanSultan on installing after market lockers.

Given the choice I'd rather install a winch to get out of even more trouble some scenarios.
A winch , IMHO may not be useful in some of the himalayan terrains - where not a blade of grass grows, leave alone trees. As my experience has also shown, in such places, getting a decent sized boulder to act as anchor is a difficult find. One would have to then buy a heavy steel anchor - the kind shown in the extreme offroading adventures on TV. The R3 as an expedition vehicle is likely to be laden down with more than its fair share of luggage - so carrying what amounts to an additional steel "rock" will not help in rarefied air - when the engine struggles to breathe. Besides, as one of the threads (Mahindra Scorpio Winch and Offroad bumper project) on this topic has shown - it requires that the front bumper be suitably reinforced - this is not an easy job - and IMHO - will spoil R3's OEM looks.

Subsequent discussion with Tanveer (tsk1979) - actually convinced me to go the snow cable way - as what I am really after is better traction. Since then I am on the look out for really decent snow cables and chains, which I can carry in the car. They should be easy to put-on and remove, not foul the exposed brake lines, and be VFM

Last edited by joybhowmik : 2nd October 2015 at 19:23. Reason: removed the inadvertent extra smiley...
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2015, 19:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Subsequent discussion with Tanveer (tsk1979) - actually convinced me to go the snow cable way - as what I am really after is better traction. Since then I am on the look out for really decent snow cables and chains, which I can carry in the car. They should be easy to put-on and remove, not foul the exposed brake lines, and be VFM
]
I am not an expert but with the little gap that I noticed between the upgraded tire and the vehicle wheel well body(1 cm as per your description), will it be possible to put in proper snow cables?

Quote:
Thanks imove!
I think passing on escalations in cost between order to delivery to the customer is standard practice in the industry. Mine was a special case. They had to actually make alterations to their ordering system, ppc system and other allied systems to get it made in the first place. I think, very responsibly , they did not want the customer to suffer for that incongruence. You may want to write into customer care (withyouhamesha.com) & Sandip Dhond and see where that takes you. All the best!
It is the Indian Car Industry that possibly follows this practice. On principle, I do not think it is a fair practice. Even the so called rogue Indian Real Estate Industry these days do not follow this practice. No price escalations there.

I had written to Mr. Goenka at Mahindra and he instructed his team to look into my complaint. However, I was told by the Mahindra Sales team in writing that price changes will be passed on to the customer at Mahindra. Yet I see that in your case they made a clear precedence, whatever be the reason.

For a customer-centric company, it is perhaps not the right policy to follow.

Pricing, Ordering and Delivery Policies in Indian Auto Industry needs a serious debate and discussion. I will probably start a new thread in Team-BHP shortly, if our mods allow me.
imove is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 01:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not an expert but with the little gap that I noticed between the upgraded tire and the vehicle wheel well body(1 cm as per your description), will it be possible to put in proper snow cables?
The configuration I am thinking of is snow cables in the front and chains on the rear. The clearance problem with the ATs is at the front - and can be easily mitigated by taking the mudflaps off - thus freeing up sufficient space for cables to work. Or I could just use chains at the back - leaving the front alone. That works anyways for 2WDs on the hills today and certainly better than low traction on all 4 wheels. Still on a decision mode. It really depends on the dimensions of the product I identify.

On your second point - yes - I agree. You should probably open a thread of your own. The power of social media is immense and often influences the dynamics between competitors as they vie for consumer attention. Once one corporation chooses to use transparent pricing as a differentiation , it's a matter of time , before others too do the same. All the best!

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th October 2015 at 23:47. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 16:03   #34
BHPian

Re: The Zeroth Service @ 1000 km

Extremely admirable style of writing. Made me (someone who never found the Scorpio appealing from a buyer's perspective) go through the thread.

And on this -
Quote:
Yes, with my cars, I do tend to take a half-day off on a working day, and visit. That's just my way of ensuring better attention.
Need to learn from you!!
krackr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 20:58   #35
BHPian

Hi! Congrats on buying the R3. Nice name you have given him. I love this color on the Scorp. Looks just oh-so-gorgeous. Its good that you went for the 4x4 variant. The beast turns into an entirely different animal when the front diffs are down to work.

The older Scorpio 4x4 is a proven SUV when it comes to off road capabilities. I would love to know whether the new one has retained the qualities of its predecessor or even improved further. Please drive into more 4x4 trails and keep us updated on how R3 performed.

That's quite some amount of details you have put on this thread. It was an awesome read.

Drive safe and here's wishing you lot of happy off roading and on roading with your new possession.

Keep revvin'
Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 11:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

You were ahead of me today morning at MG RoadRaging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-img_20151005_082441108_hdr.jpg
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2015, 11:16   #37
BHPian

Not sure of the engine oil, but I had a major problem with my WagonR with coolant being overfilled. Before one of my long trips, I had given my car for general service to Bosch Whitefield Bangalore. The next day after 350 km of drive, to my luck, the car stopped in front of a service center in Coimbatore with smoke rising from the engine bay. The car stopped dead. I was lucky; it was 7 pm in the evening, the car stopping bang opposite to a service center. The culprit was overfilled coolant. The whole radiator system had to be replaced, as it was overheated and melted most of the components.
That’s the advantage of Maruthi, the car knows where to stop & wherever it stops there is a service center. Please keep a watch!

Last edited by LoneRidder : 7th October 2015 at 11:17. Reason: Check
Old 7th October 2015, 23:33   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...converting a very capable traveller's car into a Model T type abomination.And it shows. 235 AT for R3 ?
That's a good joke! Thanks for that!!
Was the Model T undertyred? Not at all. And it was one heck of an off-roader too.

Quote:
...it would be good - for you to read GTOs post... and take inspiration to upgrade from stock. Especially for someone who has never upsized from dueler (and others of that ilk) - the main reason is highlighted in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The difference of grip levels in one emergency manouveur can be the difference between life & death.
Upsizing isn't my forte. Driving in a manner that ensures safety and obviates the need for emergency manoeuvres is.
Quote:
Nope - it's the right tool all right. These are the adjustable grippers - unlike the very retro one that looks oh-so-early-60s shown on your thread.
Quote:
The oil filter is removed
Attachment 1421224
with this tool
Attachment 1421225
The new filter is installed and tightened by hand - which invites a comment from me. It's duly re-tightened with the tool.
Allow me to let you have a glimpse of Mahindra's recommended procedure for oil filter change (from their own workshop manual).

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-of1.jpg
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-of2.jpg
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-of3.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2015 at 10:07. Reason: PM'ing
SS-Traveller is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 15:38   #39

Joy,

Congratulations on getting your dream vehicle!

You have a great writing style and you engage the reader very well!

The red R3 looks stunning! I've been in the market for a SUV since a few months, and Scorpio has been my No. 1 choice. The only reason I didn't pull the trigger was the low-quality interiors. As you pointed out in your earlier post, the door handle would probably be the first to go. Do you know if the door handles can be replaced with after-market steel/chrome ones? That would really help take away the pain point with Scorpio's interior.
Old 8th October 2015, 18:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Extremely admirable style of writing. Made me (someone who never found the Scorpio appealing from a buyer's perspective) go through the thread.

Need to learn from you!!
Thanks krackr... and yes that's a habit that's formed mostly due to the fact that on the weekdays, I (like workshops) am least likely to be disturbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi! Congrats on buying the R3. Nice name you have given him. I love this color on the Scorp. Looks just oh-so-gorgeous.
Please drive into more 4x4 trails and keep us updated on how R3 performed.
Thanks Neel ! Appreciate that you have almost second guessed the happening of the next outing... the destination is inspired by one of the threads here.
I will certainly update on TBHP on my safe return. By that time, I hope R3 would have earned its colors , as Milemuncher has already done
Source: www.enlightenedgifts.org
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-ommanipadmehumminiprayerflags97.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
You were ahead of me today morning at MG RoadAttachment 1423023
I did not quite realise that R3 was instantly recognizable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRidder View Post
Not sure of the engine oil, ...Please keep a watch!
Yes I will ...Thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Upsizing isn't my forte. Driving in a manner that ensures safety and obviates the need for emergency manoeuvres is.
No worries. I also could not agree more about the need to maintain safe driving practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Allow me to let you have a glimpse ... from their own workshop manual
The manual you have referred to appears to be in hard copy. Please could you digitize it (if not done already) and share it with us on TBHP. If it is voluminous - perhaps you could share this through a specialized file sharing application. Even though it may not be for the New Gen Scorpio (2014++) , I hope the procedures and other tidbits of information will be useful for us, and substantially enrich the Scorpio ownership experience of many TBHPians. After all , the forum exists to share such nuggets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreekan View Post
Joy,
Congratulations on getting your dream vehicle!
You have a great writing style and you engage the reader very well!
The red R3 looks stunning!
Thanks amreekan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amreekan View Post
Do you know if the door handles can be replaced with after-market steel/chrome ones? That would really help take away the pain point with Scorpio's interior.
They have held up till now - I have not looked for these on the after market. On my next visit to the service center , I will certainly check the pricing of the OEM kind to establish the baseline.
Old 8th October 2015, 23:48   #41
BHPian

Congratulations Joy on your new R3. It was indeed a great ownership report of S10 4x4. I am tempted to read the corbet travelogue. Looking forward to read your off-roading posts / travelogues.

Wishing you happy ownership of your R3
Old 9th October 2015, 14:44   #42
KAN
BHPian

Congrats on your new car!

Nice commentary and specially like the 'Tilak lagao" moment!!
Old 11th October 2015, 12:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Joy, congrats on the car. Great to see 4WD Scorpio.

Your santro was 2003 model ? Then it seems it was in the first year of Xing launch.

Wanted to know why are the front alloys turned black in this post? I had seen another Scorpio parked in my office which had front alloys turned blackish. Is it because of brakes friction ?
Attached Thumbnails
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-dsc_0070.jpg  

Last edited by tanwaramit : 11th October 2015 at 12:38.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 09:09   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Wanted to know why are the front alloys turned black in this post?
It is due to brake dust and is quite normal.
Also, cars with alloys wheels look blacker because of the dust being dissipated outwards when the wheels turn. Better ventilation you see.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 10:55   #45
KAN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Joy, congrats on the car. Great to see 4WD Scorpio.

Your santro was 2003 model ? Then it seems it was in the first year of Xing launch.

Wanted to know why are the front alloys turned black in this post? I had seen another Scorpio parked in my office which had front alloys turned blackish. Is it because of brakes friction ?
This is exactly what is also happening with my XUV as well to the front alloys. There is a layer of black dust. It looks as if some sort of rubber. I plan to check this with the service center guys during the service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks