Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2017, 03:36   #91
BHPian

Re: The final "free" service

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

By the time I got R3 back it was just past 4:30 PM. I left Genesis, lighter by Rs 10,310. Not cheap - for a "free" service.
Brake Pads 4k + Labour 1k approx amounts to 50% of the total bill.
Also isn't it early at 20k for brake pad replacement?

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2017 at 09:12. Reason: Typos
Old 30th January 2017, 11:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
That is a revelation. Didn't reclining it to more comfortable angle help? I always presumed the 8 seater's middle row to be significantly more comfortable compared to the 7 seater due to its reclining back rest.
I have only one basis for comparison. That of approximately 8 round-trips to Kolkata and back, on the Milemuncher (Innova).
Yes seat backrests were reclined to the extent that they would not intrude on the passenger sitting immediately behind me (driver).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Brake Pads 4k + Labour 1k approx amounts to 50% of the total bill.
Also isn't it early at 20k for brake pad replacement?
Yes. Mahindra consumables are expensive. The labour charges are a bit on the side , of leaving me feeling , much like a victim of organized extortion.

At 20k, the brake pads were at 15.09 mm and 15.75 mm. The mechanic लड़का (boy) & I use the term solely because he is much younger than I, looked at it during the inspection, and without measuring their thickness, told me that - "साब , यह चल जाएगा" (Sir, this will work).

I was a bit put-off by the fact that he pronounced them healthy without bothering to measure their thickness.

Visions of sparks flying, whilst attempting to slow down a steep down-hill grade, swam in my head.

I insisted to the supervisor, that he produce a vernier caliper and measure the thickness first. Said instrument was furnished, and the brake pads measured. Thereafter, the same guy pronounced, they were beyond their useful life (21 mm thickness). The new pads come at 23 mm thickness. The safety threshold of 21 mm was corroborated by the supervisor, the warranty claims inspector (whom I respect for his knowledge), and the manager of the workshop. The point on why a 2mm safety margin is published by Mahindra, is something that I cannot really comment on.

Last edited by GTO : 20th May 2017 at 09:13. Reason: Fixing typo in quoted post
Old 4th April 2017, 21:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Happy to report that Mahindra have invited us for the Saffron Baisakhi event on 15th April.
The invitation was at the behest of the dealer Koncept Mahindra (Genesis) and my regular SA.
The invite was accompanied by a very nice & thoughtful gift. Pictures follow.
Hopefully this will be a fun evening with fellow petrolheads!
Attached Thumbnails
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-1491320228208.jpg  

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-1491320339252.jpg  

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-1491320366878.jpg  

Last edited by joybhowmik : 4th April 2017 at 21:14.
joybhowmik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 17:40   #94

re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!

Two months back i became a proud owner of a white scorpio s10. It is an amazing vehicle.
At the 1st service i dropped the car at Shri Durga service centre. Later in the afternoon they called and informed me that the clutch plates were burnt. Burnt at 5k ? Seriously ?
They told me that they have reported the case to mahindra for replacement of the clutch components​ under warranty but they failed to do so. The clutch replacement costs 17k.
What should i do ? Please help !
I have reported the issue at their customer care too.
Old 19th May 2017, 23:15   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At 20k, the brake pads were at 15.09 mm and 15.75 mm.
The new pads come at 23 mm thickness. The safety threshold of 21 mm...
There seems to be some confusion here. It is surpising that M&M recommends discarding brake pads with 21 mm thickness remaining, where original thickness when new is 23 mm. I think the usable thickness is recommended to be 21 mm, and the service guys interpreted it wrongly.

The recommended safe limit of brake pad wear is considered to be 2-3 mm. The UK MoT will pass LMVs (hatch/sedan/SUV) with 1.5 mm of pad thickness remaining, and the VicRoads (Australia) RWC will allow as low as 1 mm to pass. But as a rule of thumb, the heaviest of SUVs need a brake pad change at 3 mm.

In my own experience with the Scorpio, I have changed pads at ~5 mm once, before embarking on a highway drive, but generally let it wear down to 3 mm before changing. The pads last between 50-60k km with my (sedate) driving style, but the usual interval is reported to be not less than 35-40k km for most Scorpio users whom I know.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2017, 01:10   #96
BANNED

re: Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushpreet.97 View Post
They told me that they have reported the case to mahindra for replacement of the clutch components​ under warranty but they failed to do so. The clutch replacement costs 17k.
What should i do ? Please help !
I have reported the issue at their customer care too.
While it is difficult to prove the reason for clutch wear and hence fight your way out of it, what you can do is to talk to the RM Service and tell him that you'd want the clutch kit to be replaced under goodwill warranty.
Most M&M and TML chaps are nice in such cases and oblige.
Old 27th May 2017, 06:45   #97
Senior - BHPian

An update:
After a long interval, I had the opportunity to bring R3 back in pole position as ride of choice.
Even after standing still for over a month , he fired back to life with one twist of the key.

A perfect Sunday was marred by a pebble tap dancing on R3's Windshield and causing a crack.
As my local Windshield Expert outlet did not have the all important resin, I got the glass fixed at a local auto glass place opposite LSR.
The gent who attended to the repair.Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170515_105200811.jpg
The tools of the trade
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-img_20170515_105214786.jpg

This weekend another milestone came up :22222 km.
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-1495847279428.jpg
Nothing much to report , except a few niggles:
1 Window rattle
2 Tailgate rattle
3 And one occasion when the ignition barrel did not release when the key was retracted.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 27th May 2017 at 07:15. Reason: Added info about Windshield repair
Old 9th October 2017, 20:23   #98
Senior - BHPian

26,500 km up and still kicking

Hi friends
I thought to update the community about R3. It has been a while, and it would be remiss not to talk about the progress to date.

Well, the most significant update is that R3 was the ride of choice for a quick getaway to Chopta, Uttarakhand and its surrounding areas. This is in Rudraprayag district.

Performance wise, nothing to report -that is out of the ordinary. And now on to some mundane updates.

a) The day we set off, R3 met with a minor crash! The left tail-lamp was badly damaged , necessitating a diversion to Genesis, Okhla where we were met with news that the part was not in stock. Oh well!

b) On return from Chopta both tail lamp assemblies were replaced and an area of the left rear quarter panel repainted at my FNG.
Costs as follows:
Tail-lamp Assy parts, labour , washing and car pickup/drop: Rs 7053 . Actually the right tail lamp had a noticeable internal crack as well - no doubt from some previous incident, so I had the pair replaced.
Paint materials: 100 ml of Nippon Red Rage paint, 100 ml of Nippon clear coat, 50 ml of no-brand hardener+ 250 ml of DuPont Thinner + 1 ltr can of no-brand Reducer + 2 Dhoti + 1 masking tape = Rs 640/-
Labour at my FNG for fixing up = Rs 600/-

So cost of repair = Rs 8293/- this one marking investment towards probably the umpteenth time

c) So, I bit the bullet and went for the Mahindra Genuine Scorpio accessory rear camera @ Rs 2500/-
The camera was placed to the left of the tow-bar - in a way that would arguably present the least profile of it on screen. (And provide more coverage of the left side).

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-img_20171009_200230080.jpg

However, the view on the infotainment system is much less than ideal - presumably due to the camera lens not being sufficiently wide.

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-img_20171009_200346611.jpg

That said - hope this stops the regular scrapes and knocks on the rear left!

And oh - the transcend drive pro dash cam - keeps coming up with intermittent memory card errors. I changed memory cards , but that did not help much. I updated the firmware, and that reduced the problem - but it did not permanently go away. Sad part is today was the last day of the two year warranty support!
And I don't think transcend will entertain a repair job. I'll probably have to live with the problem - until some kind soul gifts me another dashcam.
But that's not a scorpio problem - per se

Happy to inform, that I am also toying with the idea of auxiliary lights (once again!).
So here goes another round of micro-planning and researching. Luckily, I do have my previous work around somewhere on TBHP to help me get up and running.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 08:22   #99
BANNED

Re: 26,500 km up and still kicking

Quote:
a) The day we set off, R3 met with a minor crash! The left tail-lamp was badly damaged , necessitating a diversion to Genesis, Okhla where we were met with news that the part was not in stock.
What happened? Scorpio tail lamps are pretty high set and damaging them by a car/bike/auto is unlikely. Any pics?

7k INR change for a pair of tail lamps isn't that affordable, especially when you compare it to Innova's tail lamps which cost 5200 a pair.

What is the odo reading now?
Old 11th October 2017, 00:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What happened? Scorpio tail lamps are pretty high set and damaging them by a car/bike/auto is unlikely. Any pics?
A pole on the blind side, that I backed into when attempting to steer out of a tight parking slot

No pics I'm afraid - I was just setting off on the trip, and heartbroken to boot!!
Quote:
7k INR change for a pair of tail lamps isn't that affordable, especially when you compare it to Innova's tail lamps which cost 5200 a pair.
To be fair, it's actually quite comparable. The taxes are the real killer.
I could have saved some money by getting the parts outside, but unfortunately genuine red tail lamps were out of stock at my local parts retailer.
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-001.jpg

Quote:
What is the odo reading now?
A tad shy of 26700 this evening. Thinking of packing it away, and save the miles for the next long distance trip before its time for the 30k service.

That is after getting a decent set of lights.
Old 11th October 2017, 00:21   #101
BANNED

Quote:
To be fair, it's actually quite comparable. The taxes are the real killer.
Wow, 28% GST even on spare parts, truly achche din.

Quote:
Thinking of packing it away, and save the miles for the next long distance trip before its time for the 30k service.

That is after getting a decent set of lights.
So where is the trip planned to and when? CCU?

I've heard that headlights are great in the high beam and acceptable in low, are you saying they aren't?
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 10:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, 28% GST even on spare parts, truly achche din.

Quote:
So where is the trip planned to and when? CCU?
you guessed it right saab.... waiting for the schools to break around Christmas.

Quote:
I've heard that headlights are great in the high beam and acceptable in low, are you saying they aren't?
The hi/lo beams are acceptable when speeds are low (typically ~25-30 kmph)such as during night driving in the hills.
The problem is when doing night driving at high speed highways on the plains. With the unruly traffic of UP on NH58, it was quite a chore trying to anticipate errant drivers/pedestrians/animals that were wont to suddenly cross the highway on the fast lane. There simply isn't much reaction time left - and part of that could be due to age related loss in sensory perception.
I think bright white xenon light will do the trick and make the ride safer and quicker.
Old 16th January 2018, 13:25   #103
Senior - BHPian

30000 kms - on the ALE and then a service

30000 km service update:
R3 was garaged for close on two months... as I wanted to save the miles in time for the 30 K service milestone.

On the afternoon of 29th December, we set sail for Kolkata and returned back to Delhi on the 12th of January 2018.
As I had nothing planned for Saturday the 13th, I decided to get R3 serviced a little shy of 1 year from the last 20k service milestone.

The 30k service milestone is highlighted by just two scheduled activities - replacement of the diesel fuel filter, and the AC particle filter. Uscheduled replacements included wiper blades and an interior light bulb.
Of course all fluid levels were topped up, and body-chassis bolts tightened. I also took the opportunity to get the Wheel alignment, balancing and rotation done. It had been a long while, and I had noticed a tendency for R3 to veer to the left if the steering was left alone.

There was a tailgate noise as well, but despite ministrations , it persists. The reason : I ran out of time for completing a second road test to confirm resolution of the issue.
Here is the bill:
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-30000-service.jpg

Now on to a performance update:
Fully loaded - Mileage in North India during my annual DEL-CCU run was 14 kmpl, but on the eastern legs it fell to a dismal 11 kmpl. That drop can probably be attributed to the moronic traffic east of purvanchal and beyond, besides a 5 degree temperature differential during the day.

As an aside, a group of American tourists at Ramada Inn, Agra were in awe of the beast, and when I revealed to them that I intend covering the 1500 odd km to Kolkata and back - were filled with envy

On to other things:
5th year warranty support:
I was informed that Mahindra have recently launched a scheme that offers warranty for the 5th year @ Rs 17,842. Despite being a pinch I went for it, considering past experiences with in-warranty replacements.

Mahindra RSA for 1 year:
I was also informed that my RSA had expired. This was renewed for Rs 2021/-

Extra Spot Lights:
The need for an extra pair of spot lights continues to nag. The only constraints are time and money.
Time: Getting a pair of custom mounts made that will bolt on to existing holes in the sub-frame and somehow protrude out of the lower front-grille. A bull-guard is out of the question due to being made illegal, and secondly I have been told, that any makeshift welding onto the subframe will invalidate insurance claims in case of a collision.
Getting this done right at a fitter will take at least a week's worth of multiple visits -as the bumper cover needs to be taken off, measurements made, the mounts built , fitted, painted and then assembling the bumper cover back on.
Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-img_20180113_110800582.jpg
Money:During the last couple months I have already put down Rs 2000+ in importing a remote control switch to operate the lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The lights and harness is expected to set me back by at least another Rs 60,000/-. I expect to buy these once I fit the mounting points. That will give me some time to save up.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 16th January 2018 at 13:28.
Old 16th January 2018, 15:00   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 30000 kms - on the ALE and then a service

Quote:
Getting a pair of custom mounts made that will bolt on to existing holes in the sub-frame and somehow protrude out of the lower front-grille. A bull-guard is out of the question due to being made illegal, and secondly I have been told, that any makeshift welding onto the subframe will invalidate insurance claims in case of a collision.
Getting this done right at a fitter will take at least a week's worth of multiple visits -as the bumper cover needs to be taken off, measurements made, the mounts built , fitted, painted and then assembling the bumper cover back on.
Why not consider ready-made products? Some of the local 4x4 garages should be able to offer you something like this. Fits into existing number-plate holes and doesn't protrude much like a bull bar.

Raging Red Rover (R3) - My Mahindra Scorpio S10 4x4. EDIT: Sold!-capture.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Vehe...840628645.html
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 08:42   #105
Senior - BHPian

Re: 30000 kms - on the ALE and then a service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Why not consider ready-made products? Some of the local 4x4 garages should be able to offer you something like this. Fits into existing number-plate holes and doesn't protrude much like a bull bar.
Great solution - but unfortunately R3 wears HSRP number plates. Even if I were to have the rivets drilled out, pretty certain getting a new set of fitment gear for the number plate will be more work.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks