Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2016, 02:09   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Faced this exact same issue with my Figo last month. The stalk would just not hold the slot in high beam and keeps slipping down to the low beam position
P.S. Thinking about it, I too was returning home after a party when this happened. May be we should take cabs in future, to avoid these mysterious niggles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Faced a weird issue last night!

I was driving out for a party late evening and while driving on ORR ( Outer Ring Road), I noticed that my high-beam was not working:

I mean lights were fine but, the stalk would not engage.
Just didn't know what to make of it !!!
That's weird!
Isn't the high and low beam a toggle stalk? (Pull and leave to change between high and low)

This toggle system works with a "12 v pulse toggle relay".
Nothing to worry about,just a temporary glitch.

The solution:
Stop the the car at a safe place with the hazard on.
Switch off the main headlamp rotary switch.
Remove the key after shutting off the engine.
Wait for a minute,start again.
You will observe that the problem has disappeared

Last edited by ecosport rules : 28th March 2016 at 02:24.
ecosport rules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 12:34   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
That's weird!
Isn't the high and low beam a toggle stalk? (Pull and leave to change between high and low)

This toggle system works with a "12 v pulse toggle relay".
Nothing to worry about,just a temporary glitch.

The solution:
Stop the the car at a safe place with the hazard on.
Switch off the main headlamp rotary switch.
Remove the key after shutting off the engine.
Wait for a minute,start again.
You will observe that the problem has disappeared
Thanks Doc! That weird situation hasn't raised it's ugly head again. If it ever re-appears will try your "Homely Solution"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Awaiting the variant upgrade (read '+') update from you
Hey Anurag. It was lovely to meet you the other day and very nice of you to take a detour to hand over the "+" to me

Now I can proudly say that I really own a "Titanium +"
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 22:48   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Anurag. It was lovely to meet you the other day and very nice of you to take a detour to hand over the "+" to me

Now I can proudly say that I really own a "Titanium +"
Happy that the badge has reached you and is placed where it finally belongs to. You can now show off your cars real variant. Thank you for the pictures.

Still can't understand why manufacturers skip on such small things.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 09:38   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, the upgraded bulbs (90/100) didn't perform as expected

Flosser (Made in Germany) and apparently is OEM for Skoda's

Avinash - My experience with Flosser hasn't been great compared to Philips and Hella. Pls. pick both the bulbs from the distributor if possible as there are too many spurious bulbs in the market.

Hope this helps

Cheers
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 10:48   #155
Senior - BHPian

Avinash, glad to see the Blue Bombardier performing well. Regarding my experience with Headlight bulbs I had Phillips Rally 100/90 made in Germany ones that served me well for 6 years with umpteen number of long drives until recently the LHS high beam conked off. Replaced with Osrams Bilux H4 made in Germany ones till I sold off the car. As per one of my trusted sources the Indian made ones don't have a good life (don't know the exact reason). My experience with fancy bulbs are unsatisfactory. I would rather stick to normal but branded ones. As the saying goes no replacement for displacement, for more light use a high rated Bulb though i never install anything higher than 100/90 except in cars like FIAT or Ambys where I can go for high power ones with proper wires from Finolex.
Regarding the pic you had posted of the fused Bulb, I see the glass housing is blackened, i suspect the bulb blew out due to excess current, just a doubt.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th March 2016 at 10:52.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 14:38   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Avinash - My experience with Flosser hasn't been great compared to Philips and Hella. Pls. pick both the bulbs from the distributor if possible as there are too many spurious bulbs in the market.
Thanks. Now the deed is done and if anyone of them gets fused. Will replace both of them with same brand and from a reliable store

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Regarding my experience with Headlight bulbs I had Phillips Rally 100/90 made in Germany ones that served me well for 6 years with umpteen number of long drives until recently the LHS high beam conked off. Replaced with Osrams Bilux H4 made in Germany ones till I sold off the car. As per one of my trusted sources the Indian made ones don't have a good life (don't know the exact reason). Regarding the pic you had posted of the fused Bulb, I see the glass housing is blackened, i suspect the bulb blew out due to excess current, just a doubt.
Thanks Rakesh. As you may have noted, I have replaced the OEM bulbs with 90/100 after installing the relay and used good cables too

I too was surprised that a brand like Hella going kaput so early.

Glass house as you rightly mentioned is blackened due to excessive heat which should not be case as relay job is to ensure it can take the additional wattage

Let's wait and watch how one Flosser and one Hella perform before taking next course of action
Old 5th April 2016, 08:50   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

10,000kms Completed

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3336.jpg

Sorry about the shaky picture. But, not expected from an iPhone 6+...LOL!

A little over 6 months saw me complete 10,000kms milestone with my Blue Bombardier. And, this is after drastically reducing my running as now instead of a daily 60kms drive to and back from work; it's just 6 kms. It has been a fantastic and issue free ownership period and I'm super happy with my decision. I actually look forward to driving this car as it's blistering pace keeps the jingles and jangles alive in me

And, I try to make up for less mile munching over the week on weekends

Another culprit who has stolen the thunder from the eyes of BB is the new addition to the garage :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...t-begin-8.html

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th April 2016 at 08:54.
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 08:48   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Blue Bombardier got us back safely last night after a blistering road trip to Vizag and Araku Valley for the long weekend

Can't help repeating this again and again--Aspire's performance is just mind-boggling. It just demolishes 9/10 cars on the road including big guns like a C220D (New-Shape); which had a hard time shrugging the Aspire off ...Finally........what happened? Coming up in next post

Somewhere along the Rushikonda Beach Coastline

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-coastline.jpg

1665kms covered in total

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-1665kms.jpg
mobike008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 09:19   #159
BANNED

Quote:
1665kms covered in total
How is the badge (Titanium +) holding up?

Good to see the car clocking up miles. Awaiting pictures of the travel.
Old 13th April 2016, 12:05   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How is the badge (Titanium +) holding up?
Beautiful. No issues at all !

Quote:
Good to see the car clocking up miles. Awaiting pictures of the travel.
Have to plan something regularly to clock miles as my weekly running in city is < 200kms

Will share the pictures soon !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 19:36   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

It was a long-weekend due to Ugadi and we decided to make use of this time and drive down to Vizag and Araku Valley for a 4 day trip. We decided on this trip a few days before the weekend as we were tossing a coin between Mahabaleshwar/Pune (Invitation from a fellow mod)/Vizag

Decided to go with Vizag purely considering the road condition factor as it would be a less fatigued drive than other options available. Besides, I wasn't in a mood to tackle those horrible roads between Zaheerabad to Solapur

Route Taken (Both ways)

Gachibowli-Financial District ORR Entry--Ramoji Film City ORR Exit-Vijaywada--Eluru--Nallajerla-Rajamundry-Vishakhapatnam (700+kms)

We packed quickly a night before and left home at sharp 5:30am and took the ORR until we got down at Ramoji Film City and towards Vizag.

It makes a lot of sense to leave early as there was minimal traffic overall but, this route is infamous for truck traffic which was still there in good numbers. We made good progress and drove non-stop to VJW and stopped just before the city for a quick sandwich meal at around 8:45am after covering 320kms

Till Vjw, there is no problems at all as it's 4-lane but, there was lot of traffic as we got closer to Vijaywada. And, you need to weave your way out as people drive at varying speeds blocking the highway on this route

Resumed after this 15 mins break and took the parallel route which was horrible to say the least as it was full of wayward traffic and I have noted something unique in VjW till Vizag. People will drive/ride on right side of road and knowingly or unknowingly ignore your car honk and will just not budge

I almost missed the left turn to Nallajerla as I crossed it and then took a U-turn to get back on this route suggested by Vnabhi and Poised2Drive. This route is very nice and no problems with respect to road surface but, yet again this route is notorious for truck traffic and we crossed this 50kms-75kms rather quickly before re-joining the main highway towards Rajamundry. Some of this traffic congestion was contributed by Pawan Kalyan fans who were behaving simply ridiculous as they stopped our car and were dancing in front of it and one stupid moron started doing donut of his Splendour with one hand and bike was being rotated and seriously close to the car and I thought it will crash into it with a loud bang. Nothing happened though..Whew!

From here on, there was not much traffic and broad roads until Vizag and we made good progress till we reached outskirts of Vizag by 1:45pm

It took us little over 8 hours including one stop to reach Vizag and then we had to ask quite a few people to find out way to our hotel (Budhil Park) which we reached by 2:30pm

Vizag was a superb experience and loved the city. Extremely beautiful, clean roads and warm people. Even the weather was suprisingly great as I was expecting it to be really humid. Infact, evenings were cool and pleasant with wind blowing from the ocean as we spent most of the evening walking on the RK Beach and eating from road-side joints

Saturday were spent driving around most of Vizag including an early morning beach visit followed by Narsimha Swamy temple visit then we drove to Rishikond Beach and spent most of afternoon on beach soaking in water and it was a great experience. Loved it ! We decided against going further to Beemli beach as many advised against it saying there is nothing but rocks there. After a sumptous lunch at Raju Gari Restuarant which is a not to be missed experience in Vizag we then decided to drive on other side of super-long RK beach road where the fisherman get fresh catch from ocean. It was a nice experience to see them coming in with big hauls of fishes. Then we drove back and paid a visit to Subramine Musuem which was a big disappointment.

Sailors who man the submarine and are supposed to explain the details are an irritable lot or completely disinterested. Not worth the 40 bucks ticket price even though the experience of being inside a real submarine is a life-time experience. AVOID!

Next day morning we had a quick breakfast at hotel and checked out at 8:30am and headed towards Araku Valley which were reached by 10:30am at the Haritha Resort. It was extremely hot up there and we were disappointed with weather and there was no signal at the resort and we checked into the room which was OK and not at all worth the price they charged (INR 2.6K) and we headed out to see the Tribal Museum and Borra Caves. There is nothing to see at Tribal Museum and in Araku Valley and landscape is also nothing to boast about but, Borra Caves was nice and it's worth visiting atleast once

Staying in Araku Valley is not advisable at all and folks visiting Vizag can make it a base camp and do Araku Valley as a day-visit

We checked out from Araku around 7:00am and had a planned stop at Annavaram temple to pay visit to god which we reached around 9:50am around 10 mins prior to an office call which I decided to take sitting in cool AC of the car parked outside the temple. After completing the darshan which took another 1-hour we were on our way towards Hyderabad at around 12:00pm and encountered heavy traffic on Nallajerala road and stopped for 45 mins for a lunch at nice quaint dhaba on this road where the food was very good. Crossing Vijaywada was a nightmare which we crossed around 4:30pm and finally headed towards Hyderabad and it was a non-stop drive and we were at home in Gachibowli at 7:30pm

Araku Valley to Gachibowli which is roughly about 830kms was done in 9.5 hours driving time (If you exclude the 2 hours at Annavaram and 45 mins for lunch)

Now time for some pictures from this trip. Enjoy !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3528.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3542.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3543.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3544.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3534.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3598.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3587.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3624.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3618.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3619.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3620.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3621.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3622.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3623.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3629.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3637.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3667.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3663.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3662.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th April 2016 at 19:57.
mobike008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 09:20   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was a long-weekend due to Ugadi and we decided to make use of this time and drive down to Vizag and Araku Valley for a 4 day trip.
Hi Mobike, nice pics and looks like the Blue Bombardier demolished those 1600 odd kms fuss free. You had mentioned in your earlier post about keeping up with a Merc C while on this trip. Any further details on the incident? Also, how was the performance of the car overall? Any niggles, drawbacks that you noticed? Do give some further insights.

I am fascinated by this engine from Ford, and surprised that due to limited publicity, this has become a sleeper performance diesel which few people seem to be aware of. Seriously considering this as my next car, only thing that puts me off are the skinny tires and undernourished alloys, and the badly designed instrument panel. The latter in my view begs for a sportier form.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 18th April 2016 at 09:26.
Old 18th April 2016, 16:58   #163
BHPian

Hi Mobike008, I have almost read all your milestones threads today and thought we have lot in common as far as ownership experience and driving style is concerned. I own New Ford Figo (Oxford White) delivered in the month of Oct 2015. To begin with I replaced engine oil around after completing 2000 Kms not sure if they changed oil filter as well; need to check bill. Car has completed around 6000 Km now with daily 30 km office commute and average 50 Km on weekends. It gives me around 18 mileage with AC on most of the time. However I'm experiencing Engine being little less peppy than initial 3 months of performance. do you think this is due to oil filter thing which was not replaced?
Old 19th April 2016, 17:56   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hi Mobike, nice pics and looks like the Blue Bombardier demolished those 1600 odd kms fuss free. You had mentioned in your earlier post about keeping up with a Merc C while on this trip. Any further details on the incident? Also, how was the performance of the car overall? Any niggles, drawbacks that you noticed? Do give some further insights.
Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me about the tussle with Merc C. This was on return leg of Vizag trip and it had just got dark in evening and this Merc C (Brand New-Temp Plates) was being driven aggressively on a beautiful 2-lane highway just before Ramoji Film City (20kms before on that road; people who live in Hyd would know how good tarmac on that stretch is)

It was overtaking all cars on road and I was right behind him and we made good progress together and I finally overtook him after 10kms of being right behind him and I left him far behind

I didn't meet him until the entry point of ORR (Outer Ring Road) and I entered this gorgeous highway first and had atleast a 3-4 mins head-start but, after a few minutes spotted the same Merc C in my ORVM and he came like a ghost and overtook me easily from the fast lane and disappeared. He must have been doing atleast 200kmph

With respect to niggles, I have completed 12,000kms and there are absolutely none. There is not a single rattle from any side nor any nut or bolt loose so I really don't know what I should refer to as a niggle

Super happy atleast till this juncture !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
I am fascinated by this engine from Ford, and surprised that due to limited publicity, this has become a sleeper performance diesel which few people seem to be aware of. Seriously considering this as my next car, only thing that puts me off are the skinny tires and undernourished alloys, and the badly designed instrument panel. The latter in my view begs for a sportier form.
I have changed the tyres and they really make a lot of difference in performance and handling. There is absolutely no difference in ride quality

When change tyres next, will upgrade them to 1" more and 10mm wider to extract more performance from this beauty of an engine

Bottom-line : Aspire as you rightly mentioned is a sleeper car and if in good hands can breathe down neck of most cars including a couple of segments above both in city and highway driving conditions

Fuel Efficiency :

1665 kms : Vizag Trip
100kms : City Driving after returning

Total Distance covered in 3 tankful of ~ 35 Liters each (105 Liters) : 1775

Overall FE : 17kmpl

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Car was driven with 100% AC and was used for very long times idling during entire trip. Some examples below :

1. Attending an office call for 1-hour. AC was on for entire period

2. Wherever we stopped and had to wait for any reason; Car would idle with AC on for durations between 10mins-30 mins

Keeping above in mind, 17kmpl FE is fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilpat View Post
Hi Mobike008, I have almost read all your milestones threads today and thought we have lot in common as far as ownership experience and driving style is concerned. I own New Ford Figo (Oxford White) delivered in the month of Oct 2015. To begin with I replaced engine oil around after completing 2000 Kms not sure if they changed oil filter as well; need to check bill. Car has completed around 6000 Km now with daily 30 km office commute and average 50 Km on weekends. It gives me around 18 mileage with AC on most of the time. However I'm experiencing Engine being little less peppy than initial 3 months of performance. do you think this is due to oil filter thing which was not replaced?
Well, cannot really comment to what can be real reason for under-performance of your car except oil filter not being change since you specifically pointed out. My car performs same as day I got it, zero turbo lag and shoots out like a bat out of hell

Other reasons could be :

1. Low air in tyres
2. Bad fuel
3. Uneven tyre wear for any one side

Check for above and if you still think the peppiness that you were used to earlier is still not there then it's best to contact Ford ASC

Rest of the pictures continued from previous post below :
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3681.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3683.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-avi.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3690.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3691.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3692.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3725.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3720.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3808.jpg  

Ford Aspire TDCi : My Blue Bombardier, flying low on tarmac. EDIT: Now sold-img_3810.jpg  

Last edited by mobike008 : 19th April 2016 at 18:03.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2016, 22:56   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, the upgraded bulbs (90/100) didn't perform as expected

Attachment 1490970

Flosser (Made in Germany) and apparently is OEM for Skoda's

Attachment 1490971
Hello mobike008,

Have been following your threads for a long time and really enjoyed each adn every one of them. Infact this thread was the main reason for one of my friend to opt for the Figo Aspire v/s VW Polo so thank you for that.

"Flosser" is a very good brand and here in pune my mechanic has been using them from my Diesel Esteem days (2005) that i remember. he vouches by these and does not use anything else, so this is a good choice, just that please do change the other one to the same make.

Cheers,
Jimit
Jimmy_u is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed