Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2006, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Hi folks,
Its been ten months for my Octavia RS and its just finished 20000kms.. No mods yet.
My findings,

When I first set foot on the pedal after my Optra 1.6, I knew the feeling was meant to last and i have'nt been dissappointed yet. I find it very comfortable not just because of the speeds it can go (I did 225 once) but because of the response in day to day trafffic..

Good part,
1.Silent car. It cruises on very high speeds with stealth. No change in the behaviour after 20000.
2.No issues or problems with gadgets, mechanics or equipment. Reverse parking sensors are swell.
3.Tyres still in very good shape. Alignment and balancing has'nt been done since i got the car.
4.Despite parking in the open, no fading as such. And mind you guys, I have a black one.
5.No cracks, or rattling anywhere in the car.
6.No problems with fuel. I've used different pumps but all well. Just shifted to 97 octane after T-BHP reviews. The response is even better.
7.Clutch, brakes and lights still great.
8.All warning signals and alarms functional.
9.Rains are almost getting over.. No rubber cracks, or rusting or other hassles.
10.Took it to Rohtang Pass offlate. Great drive. Ample torque on the hills and very stable.

No so good part,

1. FE, only 8.5 in the city. And i don't drive like a maniac or always flat out.
2. Very expensive mainatinence. Two services done in which labour was free. Still paid about 13.5 grand for both. Now even the labour won't be free :(
3. Three day old car. A safari reversed on a red light without looking back and i had a dent on the bonnet and one of the headlight washers was broken. I still paid about 10 grand despite insurance. Since metal was hundred percent covered, it was depreciation on the grill and nozzle. Total was about 30k.
4. Audio system not great. HU is good (Alpine CDA 9830), but the OE speakers don't give output and start rattling when I increase volume. Continental motors says, its because the speakers are small. I don't want to spend more than 5 or 10k so don't know what to do.
5. Hand brake button started rattling from the 20th day onwards. Didn't have that issue with any car. Showroom says they can't fix it.
6. Shoddy service and horrible workshop. Service personnel don't really care. I fear taking my car to the workshop, incase they spoil something working fine. This handbrake thing happened after the car had visited the workshop one day.
7. Right fender indicator bulb, fused. Can i get it done outside in Delhi? Dunno where.

On the whole i would rate my experience a 8.5 on 10 despite horrible service and expensive maintainence. I'm getting wary cause a lot of people have posted problem areas with Skodas where they've been ripped of thousands. But for me, these 20000kms have been plain fun. Most people on road who know a RS from other Skodas look at it with envy. Just hope i'm not in for surprize problems. But like autopsyche said to me, its more about how you drive.

What are your opinions ?
Do write and happy motoring ,

Cheers,
dMH
Old 11th September 2006, 14:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow, thats a very comprehensive review covering most aspects of owning one of our favorite cars. Thanks!

The RS has always been a mixed bag; YES to the superb performance / driving experience, and NO to the problems / expensive maintainence / terrible service support (E.g. Ajmats dilly dallying with the decision). Your review throws even more light on this area.

Once again...fantastic review. THanks for sharing.
Old 11th September 2006, 14:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey dMH, nice & crisp review. Good to know you took her up to the Rohtang Pass. With 20k on the odo & given the kind of roads we drive on, shouldn't you be getting your alignment & balancing done?
Old 11th September 2006, 14:57   #4
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

nice review motorhead...

u got a great car and just want to spend 10K on speakers... u must be joking.... check the ICE section and go in for good audio system...
Old 11th September 2006, 15:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
Hey dMH, nice & crisp review. Good to know you took her up to the Rohtang Pass. With 20k on the odo & given the kind of roads we drive on, shouldn't you be getting your alignment & balancing done?
Nope Suman,
I'm not against spending 600 bucks, but the car just does'nt call for it. Maybe i'll do it anyway in the third service which is coming ..

dMH
Old 11th September 2006, 15:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

nice review. to the point.

"2. Very expensive mainatinence. Two services done in which labour was free. Still paid about 13.5 grand for both. Now even the labour won't be free :(" emm, thats wher Skoda loses my vote
Old 11th September 2006, 15:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The RS has always been a mixed bag; YES to the superb performance / driving experience, and NO to the problems / expensive maintainence / terrible service support (E.g. Ajmats dilly dallying with the decision).
Great report, you've helped keep dilly dally continuing
Old 11th September 2006, 15:46   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Great report, you've helped keep dilly dally continuing
You still have my vote. Once you buy it, you cant help like it
Old 11th September 2006, 16:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good honest review there, MotorHead - you've laid out the pros and cons (if they could be called cons) very well for the normal user.
Old 11th September 2006, 18:00   #10
BHPian

DMH, Continental Auto seems to be a rip-off. I have had 2 services on my RS and each cost around Rs. 3500, for oil change and air filter. Servicing done at Silvertone Okhala.
Old 11th September 2006, 18:05   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi
DMH, Continental Auto seems to be a rip-off. I have had 2 services on my RS and each cost around Rs. 3500, for oil change and air filter. Servicing done at Silvertone Okhala.
Wow really. Well this time I'll take it there. Do you know the name and number of the contact person there ..

Thanks,
dMH
Old 11th September 2006, 18:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...8.5 in Delhi = 6 in Mumbai/Bangalore? Motorhead seems right for the services, since the synthetic oil alone will cost more than 3,500. Other minor issues/testing may have contributed to another 2-3k. Maybe MH can elaborate.
Old 11th September 2006, 18:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108
Hmmm...8.5 in Delhi = 6 in Mumbai/Bangalore? Motorhead seems right for the services, since the synthetic oil alone will cost more than 3,500. Other minor issues/testing may have contributed to another 2-3k. Maybe MH can elaborate.
IMO 8.5 in Delhi is 8.5 in my Mumbai. Delhi peak hours are sad. Plus i stayed in Mumbai for over a year and bought an accent. It gave the same mileage when I shifted back to Delhi.

P.S, Bomi, I just remembered that Continental showed me a four Ltr can of Shell synthetic oil. MRP was 2600. Plus they put another half litre. Are you sure you paid 3500 per service. Is your next service due soon ?

Cheers,
dMH
Old 12th September 2006, 00:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey da MotorHead,

Fantastic Review..And Avatar Too..

Cheers,
Mugen_Power.
Old 12th September 2006, 01:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I find it very comfortable not just because of the speeds it can go (I did 225 once)
awesome man, that alone justify your purchase, good review of one of the best performance car in india.
as far as increasing FE is concerned keep a copy of overdrive in the car it will increase

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks