Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2017, 17:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The GT is going to get some company very soon!! Arriving tomorrow.
Triumph speed triple?
Old 1st September 2017, 18:15   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Triumph speed triple?

Haha ... na baba. Street Triple.
Old 4th September 2017, 17:49   #78
BHPian

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

Axe77, does your GT's left ORVM have auto dimming function?
Old 4th September 2017, 19:09   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post

Damn. I have no idea. Will have to check.
Old 5th September 2017, 17:45   #80
BHPian

Quote:
In India (I think) both ORVMs were auto dimming till 2016. Mine has auto dimming function on both sides (320i). Even the interior beige colour has black colour on the top side of the doors from 2017 models.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstlndrive View Post
In India (I think) both ORVMs were auto dimming till 2016. Mine has auto dimming function on both sides (320i).
It's not there for left ORVM of 2017 GTs. Quite frustrating it is on night drives. Need to check as to how can I get it replaced.
Old 7th September 2017, 12:45   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's not there for left ORVM of 2017 GTs. Quite frustrating it is on night drives. Need to check as to how can I get it replaced.

Bit of a stupid question maybe but how does one check if the mirror is auto dimming? Other than real life test at night?
Old 7th September 2017, 12:56   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Bit of a stupid question maybe but how does one check if the mirror is auto dimming? Other than real life test at night?
One way is to check for the colour of the mirror. Auto-dimming ones have a greenish tinge on them.
Old 7th September 2017, 13:01   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With the auto dimming enabled, hide the ambient light sensor (tightly) behind the IRVM using your hand. The mirror would dim itself.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th September 2017 at 13:10.
Old 30th January 2018, 16:46   #85
Team-BHP Support

Hi Axe77,

I am considering to upgrade to a 330i, and checking the 330i GT as well.

I have a question on the GT. How is the car in the curves? Is there too much body roll that spoils all the sportiness of a BMW RWD? The 330i GT from 2017 is very well kitted, and very practical in terms of space management, gadgets etc. But if the handling is too poor, that could become a show stopper. Can you please provide your inputs on this?
Old 30th January 2018, 20:36   #86
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi Axe77,

I have a question on the GT. How is the car in the curves? Is there too much body roll that spoils all the sportiness of a BMW RWD? The 330i GT from 2017 is very well kitted, and very practical in terms of space management, gadgets etc. But if the handling is too poor, that could become a show stopper. Can you please provide your inputs on this?
So here’s my take. On a purely direct comparison the 3 will obviously handle better than the GT. But unless you’re a track type purist, by no means would I consider the GT to suffer body roll that would be a deal breaker issue. You are very much getting a BMW with BMW DNA - handling included. I’ve found it as car like to handle as the next car and it’s really as good as any sedan out there (except of course the regular 3 series). What you get for that minor difference in handling is a car that is more spacious inside, with a much more practical boot. I’m very clear if I had to decide all over again, I’d pick the GT every single time if I was only choosing against the 3, A4 or C. No doubt!

Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 16:52   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Axe77,

There is not much of a difference if you are talking about sane speeds. It is only beyond a certain speed that the difference in handling will be noticeable.

That being said, if handling is your top priority then go for 3 over GT. Otherwise GT is a very good value proposition compared to all the rivals, at present.

I heard they are still offering great deals on 2017 GT which they usually offer at the end of the year.
the_skyliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 17:56   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So here’s my take. On a purely direct comparison the 3 will obviously handle better than the GT. But unless you’re a track type purist, by no means would I consider the GT to suffer body roll that would be a deal breaker issue...
Quote:
There is not much of a difference if you are talking about sane speeds. It is only beyond a certain speed that the difference in handling will be noticeable.

That being said, if handling is your top priority then go for 3 over GT. Otherwise GT is a very good value proposition compared to all the rivals, at present.

I heard they are still offering great deals on 2017 GT which they usually offer at the end of the year.
Hi, Thanks for the inputs. A few years back, I would have thought only about handling as the single most priority. But at present, I am willing to sacrifice a little in the handling department for other practical features like space, comfort etc.

The 330i, though a fantastic driving machine (I heard even that is not true anymore as they have softened it a lot compared to the previous generations), sorely lacks in boot space and ride comfort. So, if I plan for a week long vacation, there will not be enough boot space for the luggage, and on very long rides, it may become tiring.

The GT on the other hand has a very compliant ride due to its longer wheel base and higher profile tires, has a more than practical boot with its 40-20-40 split seats and notch-back opening. Though I would sacrifice a little on the handling department (which by your words may not be that much, as I don't plan to take the car to track), the GT looks to be a practical car. So, I am thinking of going with that. Also, I am planning to go with the M Sport variant which has the staggered wheel setup that could provide a little better handling.

Of course, I would have loved if the GT could have the same dynamics of the regular sedan, but I guess I am asking for too much. Another thing about the GT, I have read many reviews about GT being not that great in the looks department, I think it just looks great in the Estoril Blue color. Guess looks are subjective!

I am also looking at this in another way: If I find the GT to be too poor a handler, I always have the option to import an M sport suspension to fix this. But there is nothing I could do to the 330i to increase boot space!
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 18:15   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 330i, though a fantastic driving machine (I heard even that is not true anymore as they have softened it a lot compared to the previous generations), sorely lacks in boot space and ride comfort. So, if I plan for a week long vacation, there will not be enough boot space for the luggage, and on very long rides, it may become tiring.

I am also looking at this in another way: If I find the GT to be too poor a handler, I always have the option to import an M sport suspension to fix this. But there is nothing I could do to the 330i to increase boot space!
The 330i LCI has actually been stiffened up a little compared to the initial batch of F30s - however, it still isn't at E90 levels (Just like the F10 isn't a patch on the E60) in terms of pure driving pleasure.
However, the softening of the suspension has made the car a whole lot more liveable - The F30 has more GC and a way better ride than the E90!
The biggest disappointment on the F30 though is the steering feel - it just doesn't feel as responsive and eager as the E90!

Regarding the GT - I personally enjoyed driving that car around. Body roll is there, but is quite well contained. The GC and space are the biggest advantages of the GT!
Getting the M Adaptive suspension installed on the F30 soon - will keep you posted on how that feels compared to the stock set-up.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 18:47   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Regarding the GT - I personally enjoyed driving that car around. Body roll is there, but is quite well contained. The GC and space are the biggest advantages of the GT!
Thanks a lot for the feedback. Getting first hand experience helps a lot.

I did try the GT on a very short test drive in the beginning. But as I was trying it just as they did not have the regular 3 TD car and I was not considering the GT at that point of time, I did not pay much attention to the ride and handling qualities. And now they do not have a TD car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Getting the M Adaptive suspension installed on the F30 soon - will keep you posted on how that feels compared to the stock set-up.
That would be fantastic! Please do keep me updated on the progress. I would love to do this to improve handling. Though the BMW dealer here was telling warranty will become void on any change, I doubt if they will be able to find out if we were to install a OE BMW suspension

Last edited by graaja : 31st January 2018 at 18:49.

Most Viewed