Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2023, 14:19   #166
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

I just realised, its Feb 2023 and my odometer still hasn’t crossed the 62k kms mark. It had crossed 60k clicks as far back as end June 2022. The Meridian has clearly been taking the lions share of miles, specially since I had a driver for the better part of this period (I’m again without a driver - another story getting a decent hand in Mumbai) and I really just feel better making the Meridian the chauffeur driven car.

Off late the BMW has seen a bit more running since I’m again self driven mostly but even there it tends to be an even split since I tend to use both cars. Long drives are almost by default in the Jeep, specially since they’re often done by family members using a hired driver or our own driver (when we had one).

Key recent updates:

1. One headlight bulb went bust
One fine day one of my headlight bulbs had gone kaput. Got both bulbs changed (to ensure they look the same visually) from my usual go to FNG instead of BMW authorised.

2. Scraped a compound wall
This happened literally a few weeks later. I was on the phone distracted - a family member had suddenly been taken to the ICU and I was coordinating on call for picking up some relatives and rushing to the hospital. I was in a relative’s building and on a very tight turn scraped the front left rather badly. Had no choice but to repaint the entire bumper - again done at the same friendly FNG.

3. General annual service
While the car had gone for repainting I realised the service was also due. Its a fairly basic service so got that done also at the FNG since the car was already there.

All in all these must have collectively worked out significantly cheaper than if I had visited official BMW A.S.S. All of this is fairly basic work and honestly doesn’t really need an official BMW stamp as long as you have a reliable and trustworthy FNG (which fortunately, I do).

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-bdef6be54d9d44498eabbd08ccf8a9ff.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th February 2023 at 14:22.
Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 17:36   #167
BHPian

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Its a fairly basic service so got that done also at the FNG since the car was already there.
Which engine oil did your FNG use? I'm asking since your car has a DPF and the right engine oil which does not harm the DPF is not that easy to source. Ideally, your oil should be BMW LL12FE / LL04 compliant. Most FNGs just put some random synthetic engine oil which, forget being BMW approved, is not even meant for vehicles with DPFs. Key requirement is that of low SAPS engine oil. Failure to use low SAPS oil will result in premature DPF clogging & eventual failure.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2023, 00:09   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I just realised, its Feb 2023 and my odometer still hasn’t crossed the 62k kms mark. It had crossed 60k clicks as far back as end June 2022. The Meridian has clearly been taking the lions share of miles, specially since I had a driver for the better part of this period (I’m again without a driver - another story getting a decent hand in Mumbai) and I really just feel better making the Meridian the chauffeur driven car.
Nice!! Could you please share some insights on your experience with this vehicle (if you have done that already, please share a link to that thread)?
If I may, I would be genuinely interested in knowing how have the engine, suspension and other mechanical parts held up, have they stood the test of time. Does the vehicle feel dynamic and fresh (considering the age factor of-course)
What issues (if any) have you faced and how easy was it to get them resolved?
I'm a car newbie and would love to learn from your insights.

Thanks.
Happy and Safe Travels.

Last edited by aah78 : 16th March 2023 at 02:32. Reason: Quote trimmed. Please don't quote large posts entirely. Typos, spacing.
tc89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2023, 12:14   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Which engine oil did your FNG use? I'm asking since your car has a DPF and the right engine oil which does not harm the DPF is not that easy to source. Ideally, your oil should be BMW LL12FE / LL04 compliant.
Hey sorry I was out of the country and missed replying earlier. I double checked this with Redline Autohaus, which did the service. My understanding is he uses LL04 compliant oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc89 View Post
Nice!! Could you please share some insights on your experience with this vehicle (if you have done that already, please share a link to that thread)?
Thanks. This entire thread is just that buddy. You can start from page 1 which has the initial review and decision making at the time of purchase and from there on, I’ve chronicled most of my ownership experience, travels and what not.

Cheers.
Old 3rd September 2023, 23:02   #170
Team-BHP Support

My last trip to Goa in the Jeep during the 12 - 15 Aug weekend reminded me that I’ve barely taken the 3GT out for some long drives. I had a 3 day trip coming up this weekend with Friday in Pune and Saturday / Sunday in Satara for the half marathon there.

Decided to take the 3 GT this time around. Total trip was a little under 600 kms from Friday to Sunday. Leaving some of the pics I took. Stayed at the rooms in Deccan Gymkhana club while in Pune - it has a lovely old world charm to it.

While in Satara, I got the chance to take a small scenic detour after collecting my race bib. The only other highlight of the trip was some local commuting within Pune on my foldie bike which sits in neatly behind my driver’s seat in the BMW and a fantastic mutton thali meal at the Pune Dehati.

Parked at the Deccan Gymkhana Club.
BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4302.jpeg

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4303.jpeg

This ‘vivid warm’ edit seemed apt for the quaint and vintage looking gymkhana building at the back.
BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4323.jpeg

The mutton chops thali at Dehati, Pune
BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4305.jpeg

Some pics on an internal B highway around Satara.
BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4331.jpeg

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4335.jpeg

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4336.jpeg

Ignore the MID FE readout. With tank to tank method, the mileage was about 11 kmpl. That includes some 80 odd km in heavy city traffic (both in Mumbai as well as Pune).
BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_4353.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 4th September 2023 at 08:19.
Axe77 is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 19th November 2023, 21:12   #171
Team-BHP Support

The 3GT crossed the 65,000 km mark earlier today. Literally nothing extraordinary to report except a random flat tyre I got last Monday. The car remains absolutely tight and I’m more than convinced that I’ll be holding on to her for a good 10-12 years even if it is doing duty more as a second car in these coming years. Of late, it’s been my steed of choice most of the time when I’m at the wheel with the Jeep being predominantly driver driven.

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_8089.jpeg

BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-img_5612.jpeg
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 14:56   #172
BHPian

Re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divyendu Sharma View Post
Hello Axe77 Congratulation for the new car!! It looks stunning in blue!
Regarding rear and side window blinds I think it will be very diffuclt to find an aftermarket solution because of frameless windows.I remeber someone telling me that for the same reason the 5GT rear windows are very darklly tinted

Any reviews on the forum for the 5 GT? I'm looking at picking one up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks