Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2021, 04:05   #121
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You could have avoided a lot from this, at least 50%. Did they explained to you what’s fumigation and ionization? Also, they have charged you for Diesel additive bottles, have they given you these bottles? I also find the labour charges higher, more lines have probably been added. When was the fine filter replaced last time?

Drop a mail to service advisor and keep copy to BMW asking about all these additional jobs and specifically if these jobs are mandatory or done as optional in which case, did they tried to explain you before carrying. If not, ask a refund.

And, No, don’t take car outside. Just stick with mandatory jobs or better post estimate here and let other members help you before you give an approval.
I’ll keep this in mind for future services. For now, I think I’ll leave it at this. A pre approval of estimate is taken but I don’t recall if the break up is provided. Honestly, considering I have a good friend who runs a reliable FNG - and the fact that the car is out of warranty, I actually see no reason to not take it to the FNG itself. But IF I do take it to BMW next time, will keep the above pointers in mind. Thanks very much for the inputs

While I recognise that some of the optionals could have been avoided, on aspects like additives etc, I have enough comfort with my service lead to know that if something is said to have been added or done it would have been done.
Old 7th January 2021, 11:33   #122
BHPian

re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms

I agree with Turbunator - no point taking it out of BMW network for basic servicing to save costs. BMW offers huge discounts to older cars (you got 14% this time) and if you stick to just oil + filter change strictly as per the CBS recommendation, the bills will be extremely low.

I recently paid just Rs 15K for Oil change + Micro filter change (AC filter) at BMW Navnit in Bangalore. Rest of the jobs suggested were removed, which included Air filter cleaning (CBS didn't ask for it), wash + wax, Diagnostic scanning etc.
d3mon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:13   #123

Hi @Axe77,

Thanks for the great review and ownership thread.

I am considering the F34. I recently sold my pre-LCI F30 320d. I have a basic question - do you find the lack of rear sun-shade and side blinds a bother on long high way rides. Have you found a neat after market solution to this? I found the ones on the F30 very useful for rear passengers - primarily my toddler in a baby seat.

Many Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 12:36   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtem View Post
Hi @Axe77,

do you find the lack of rear sun-shade and side blinds a bother on long high way rides. Have you found a neat after market solution to this? I found the ones on the F30 very useful for rear passengers - primarily my toddler in a baby seat.
Thank you for the kind words.

1. I dont find it a deal breaker but I can confirm on long rides if the sun is on one side it can be a bother for the passenger. Specially small kids sleeping. My kid has outgrown the car seat so now he just sits on the non sunny side but of course if you are 4 passengers that’s not a perfect solution.

2. Because of the frameless windows, there is no after market solution that exactly replicates the curtain blinds (my friend got this put aftermarket in his Crysta but the same service provider dissuaded me from doing it because of the frameless windows.

3. One solution that might work is literally those stick on blinds that come with a suction clamp in the middle. You can keep those in the car and they do the job when needed. If you ask me if on all other fronts the GT is a “go” for you then I would live with this solution and not reject the model just for lack of OEM blinds.

Hope this helps. Happy to provide any further clarifications if you need.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 13:01   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
One solution that might work is literally those stick on blinds that come with a suction clamp in the middle. You can keep those in the car and they do the job when needed. If you ask me if on all other fronts the GT is a “go” for you then I would live with this solution and not reject the model just for lack of OEM blinds.
Many Thanks for the quick response. This is the fallback should I go in for the F34. I was initially looking for F30s - seems there are more F34s available at reasonable price points. Does the sun filter in from the rear windscreen - given the notchback rear - I've used these stick on ones in my Altis -that has a more conventional rear windscreen -at the back that can be annoying at times.
Old 12th February 2021, 13:12   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Does the sun filter in from the rear windscreen - given the notchback rear - I've used these stick on ones in my Altis
I have never had a ‘sun’ problem with the rear screen. Only the rear side windows might need a sun shade. The rear windscreen is actually pretty compact and doesn’t really bear down on the passenger per se.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:58   #127

Hi @Axe77 My negotiations for the F34 similar model to yours MY2016 (LCI) / Registration 2017 are closing. The car comes with no warranty (expired last year) and BSI but is in great shape.

I had two questions -
1) Is it possible to buy extended warranty after expiry.. if so do you have sense from year 3-6?

2) It seems to need rear brake pad changes due soon. I notice you changed them recently. Could you share what was the estimate you got from BMW and from your FNG for this?

Many Thanks!
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:14   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had two questions -
1) Is it possible to buy extended warranty after expiry.. if so do you have sense from year 3-6?

2) It seems to need rear brake pad changes due soon. I notice you changed them recently. Could you share what was the estimate you got from BMW and from your FNG for this?

Many Thanks!
1. No. It is not possible to extend the warranty after it expires. It has to be extended when warranty is in force.

2. It should cost about 20k. Axe77 should be able to give an accurate number.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:28   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Many Thanks!
Graaja has answered Q No. 1.

My rear brake discs + pads + rear sensor + labour from FNG had cost me around 27k + taxes if I recollect correctly. I would imagine at BMW A.S.S it would cost around 40 - 45k perhaps. Best to call BMW A.S.S and get a specific estimate. It would be fair to assume that a reliable FND would be perhaps 25% cheaper.

On a related aspect of your first question: other than sensor failure that happened thrice (which seems to be the most common malaise in these expensive germans) and one freak incident of boot lock failing, I have not had any other issue in the 5-1/2 years of ownership of the car which caused me to lean on the warranty.
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:42   #130

Thank you Graaja and Axe77!

The BMW SA (Infinity Lalbaug) I spoke to suggested c.30K for a pair of rear brake pads and c.50K for a pair of rear discs (this doesn’t need changing IMO) for the GT 320D. Seems a bit higher than your estimates.
Old 24th February 2021, 06:41   #131

Update. Thank you @Axe77, @Graaja for all your help. Got an imperial blue sport line GT 320d (MY2016, registered 2017) home. This thread has been incredibly helpful in choosing this car over a slightly newer but much lower spec F30 320d.
hurtem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 07:23   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update. Thank you @Axe77, @Graaja for all your help. Got an imperial blue sport line GT 320d (MY2016, registered 2017) home. This thread has been incredibly helpful in choosing this car over a slightly newer but much lower spec F30 320d.
That’s great news. Many congratulations. Look forward to seeing a post on your car and some pics as well.
Old 25th February 2021, 15:25   #133

Thank you! Will post soon. Still playing with it and learning all about it. A quick question. I can't see a digital display below the Odo, while there is one in the Tacho. I noticed there is one in Graaja's thread. Does this not work in the 320d Sportline version?

Many Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 17:16   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you! Will post soon. Still playing with it and learning all about it. A quick question. I can't see a digital display below the Odo, while there is one in the Tacho. I noticed there is one in Graaja's thread. Does this not work in the 320d Sportline version?

Many Thanks
Sorry I haven't followed your question. Perhaps you could post both pictures of what you are referring to?
Old 25th February 2021, 17:42   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Sorry I haven't followed your question. Perhaps you could post both pictures of what you are referring to?
Apologies. The image below highlights the sections in the bottom part of the odometer dial and the tachometer dial. One has a display. The other doesn’t. Was wondering about this.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3 GT Sport Line (Oct 2015) - Long term Ownership Review | EDIT: Crossed 8 years & 65,000 kms-809d2087253445cda51e164837a97bbd.jpeg  

Most Viewed