Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Old 25th February 2021, 18:34   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: BMW 3 GT Sport Line - Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurtem View Post
Apologies. The image below highlights the sections in the bottom part of the odometer dial and the tachometer dial. One has a display. The other doesnít. Was wondering about this.
This is the instrument cluster with analog dials. The one in my 3GT is the digital cluster. It is different and it was there in cars manufactured in 2nd half of 2017 I believe.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 20:16   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apologies. The image below highlights the sections in the bottom part of the odometer dial and the tachometer dial. One has a display. The other doesn’t. Was wondering about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is the instrument cluster with analog dials. The one in my 3GT is the digital cluster. It is different and it was there in cars manufactured in 2nd half of 2017 I believe.
Ah, understood Hurtem. I guess Graaja has answered it. Sometime in 2017 was the mid life facelift for the GT which had a different cluster, steering with paddle shifters as well as a bigger iDrive console.

I in fact upgraded my steering wheel to the M Sport steering with paddle shifters as an after market modification.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 20:28   #138

Thanks guys. I think I figured the answer too by shining a cam at the dash. The MFID extends from the middle of the dash to the right covering the ďright dialĒ or the tachometer in my version. This makes the right analog partly digital as the bottom (minor segment) is digital as its part of this MFID. This displays the driving dynamics that had me confused as one analog dial had a digital overlay while the other did not. It didnít symmetrical and an odd layout.

BTW my sportline version comes with paddle shifters in stock form - but no full digital display.
Old 27th February 2021, 07:52   #139
Senior - BHPian

It's quite possible to change the 6WA cluster in your car to the 6WB one found in graaja's car. Just Google for the same. Needs coding too of course.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:44   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
It's quite possible to change the 6WA cluster in your car to the 6WB one found in graaja's car. Just Google for the same. Needs coding too of course.
Thanks itwasntme. Found it. I was curious. Quite happy with the stock cluster for now. Maybe a future upgrade. Currently I am more interested in boosting power. How complicated is the coding while upgrading if you tried it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

I also got the engine remapped from a fellow BHPíian who had also worked on GTOís 530d. It has now moved from stock (184 BHP / 380 NM I think) to about 225 BHP and 480 NM levels.

The car feels smoother somehow, fuel consumption remains as it was and i can definitely feel the surge in power, specially given that a lot of my driving off late has been frequent Mumbai Pune expressway runs.
I am considering this shortly. How's your long term experience been since the remap. Anything I should bear in mind while going for it?

I will end up using the car primarily on the NH4 from Mumbai to Panchgani often. Feel something missing vs. the old chipped F30 when I was driving down from Pune to Mumbai recently.

Also, got rear brake pads and sensor changed at our FNG for ~7K. BMW Infinity's quote was 30K!

Many Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am considering this shortly. How's your long term experience been since the remap. Anything I should bear in mind while going for it?

only one issue. Youll have to watch out for that silly grin it leaves on your face. But the face mask we need to wear should sort that out. ��

No seriously though. No complaints. I am very happy with the change. The engine feels smoother post the remap and there is definitely a liveliness to the mid to top end. I am actually happier about the first aspect. I found the default 2.0d a bit gruff. Just dont shoot me if I am suffering from placebo effect.
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 20:33   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just dont shoot me if I am suffering from placebo effect.
You don't seem to be the only one, I've felt the same with the Laura & S Cross remaps too!
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 15:53   #143

Quote:
only one issue. Youll have to watch out for that silly grin it leaves on your face.

No seriously though. No complaints. I am very happy with the change. The engine feels smoother post the remap and there is definitely a liveliness to the mid to top end. I am actually happier about the first aspect. I found the default 2.0d a bit gruff. Just dont shoot me if I am suffering from placebo effect.
Remapped to ~239bhp, 500Nm. Itís a different animal now! Completely agree on both points- many more smiles. Also - does sound less gruff. Btw- Did your sport displays change to show the new range of power and torque? Mine seem to show the old upper limits of 160kW/190bhp and 400Nm ...
hurtem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 19:30   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Remapped to ~239bhp, 500Nm. Itís a different animal now! Completely agree on both points- many more smiles.
Thatís AWESOME!! May I ask who did you get it done from? Mine was also mapped to 500 NM but the power was I think 225 (maybe 230) - Iíll also check.

Quote:

Also - does sound less gruff. Btw- Did your sport displays change to show the new range of power and torque? Mine seem to show the old upper limits of 160kW/190bhp and 400Nm ...
To be honest I cant recall what the sports displays show. Will check it the next time.
Remapping really has been the best investment Iíve made in the car other than extended warranty. Other than the very obvious advantage of having gotten faster, the car definitely feels smoother and I feel even the mileage has improved.

I left from Mumbai last night with the trip meter reading at 115 kms or so. The mileage was showing at 13 kmpl - all in city traffic (read Lower Parel etc included).

Mumbai Pune had huge level of traffic and yet the mileage had only improved by the time I reached Pune last night. I came onward to Panchgani today and the mileage is now reading 15.7 kmpl. For the kind of explosive power this car offers, that is just embarrassingly efficient. Needless to say I am not complaining.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW 3 GT Sport Line - Ownership Review-9063b3f3a837424384202cebd8e772b4.jpeg  

BMW 3 GT Sport Line - Ownership Review-e46ef9826ac54a3b8880d7bacd1c3bb6.jpeg  

Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 20:17   #145

Quote:
Thatís AWESOME!! May I ask who did you get it done from? Mine was also mapped to 500 NM but the power was I think 225 (maybe 230) - Iíll also check.
Thanks. Got it from Ajay in Walkeshwar.

Quote:
I left from Mumbai last night with the trip meter reading at 115 kms or so. The mileage was showing at 13 kmpl - all in city traffic (read Lower Parel etc included).

Mumbai Pune had huge level of traffic and yet the mileage had only improved by the time I reached Pune last night. I came onward to Panchgani today and the mileage is now reading 15.7 kmpl. For the kind of explosive power this car offers, that is just embarrassingly efficient. Needless to say I am not complaining.
TBH Iíve not looked at the mileage so far as Iíve been focussed on the massive upgrade in creature comforts and now the performance it has.

I just saw. I drove to Panchgani last week from Bombay and have been driving (spiritedly) from Panchgani to Míwar every free hour I get through the last week. Mileage is 12kpl over the last 450 odd kms incl the trek here. I donít have context as I didnít check the in city mileage the previous week. Will try to see over time. My memories of the older chipped F30 was very respectable efficiency. This one is the newer engine and should be better.

Most Viewed