Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2016, 12:37   #136
BHPian

Re: My 2015 Honda Jazz V CVT (Automatic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyboy101 View Post
Hi, I just took delivery of the Jazz V CVT. No discounts but I asked for the armrest to which they agreed (Solitaire Honda, Andheri). Now, on delivery (they came with the part a day later), I noticed the armrest is not the same as the one in the official accessories list/ Mr GK Mahajan's one from the photos. It looks like an after market piece. I am meeting them today but they seem to be adamant that this is what was going to be given to me. I expected the normal official accessory!?
Does the official accessory say Honda anywhere? Does any one have more images? Will see what they have to say today before escalating the issue.
P.s.- I did not pay for the accessory, It was kinda like a discount...but still.
I could have bought this off aliexpress / milind subway and gotten something else instead.
Is this worth making an issue of?
Dear Sandyboy101,

Congratulations on your new steed!

Regarding the armrest, I do not think it is the original one. However, I have a feeling that these guys will not just 'give' a free 16000 Rs item! I would say - stop thinking about it. Just decide on the basis of its functionality. If it is working as desired - if your arm gets a bit of rest - if your gear shifts are easy - then - just enjoy it. Remember you are always wiser after the incidence/experience! By the way, I think the original accessory does not say 'Honda' anywhere. Anyway, I will try to check it out in the evening.

Happy driving! Safe driving!

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 14:33   #137

Thanks Girish, they are discussing with their higher ups as to what is to be done. It was agreed that this is not the official accessory but an aftermarket one costing 10k.
Let's see what they tell me.
Sandyboy101 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2016, 21:16   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
If you have got your TD, what is your feedback?
Hi Girish,

I was able to get a TD last weekend. Including the sales rep, we were 5 adults in the car. TD was for about 10km, on some smooth surface as well as broken/no road sections. Some observations:

1. Engine is super refined, as echoed/acknowledged by everyone. I couldn't tell if the engine was on.
2. Lots of cabin as well as boot space. Airy cabin. Rear bench can seat 3 adults, under-thigh support and head/neck rest could be better. Not bad though.
3. To me, car offers maximum benefits at low/crawling speeds, where I experience most strain on my left knee. Just a light touch on the accelerator, and car sprints forward eagerly. Absolute boon in bumper to bumper Blore traffic, that I coincidentally faced even though it was a Saturday.
4. Conversely, doing high speeds was less than exhilarating. I felt the car was running out of breath at 80+. I was in D mode all the time, and didn't try out the S mode/paddle shifters. In hindsight, I should have tested it.
5. Absolutely fantastic experience in the cabin at all speeds, under different road conditions we experienced. Potholes, speed humps were well absorbed; no rattles, no jerks. Coupled with refined engine, you get a premium/luxury feel in the cabin - sorta reminded of a ride in Lexus
6. Ground clearance - this was an issue. I had to go over two similar sized humps spaced about 15 feet apart. Car scraped the first one, while no issue on the second. This was with 5 adults and empty boot. These were not overly big humps, and there are much bigger humps almost all around Bangalore. So, this is a bit of concern. Probably, the larger wheel base is what causes issue.
7. AC/cabin cooling was less than satisfactory. We tried both auto and manual modes, but couldn't bring the cooling/temp to desired level in the short TD. Touch panel for HVAC was nice.
8. Light steering. My current hatch is a Palio, so it was a night and day difference

All in all, an excellent car for in-city/daily commute. Should be able to manage highway drives as well, given my driving style. I need to do some more CBA (cost benefit analysis), and weigh it against my core requirements once again. Zero discounts, waiting period of 6 weeks.
prashkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2016, 11:36   #139
BHPian

Dear prashkul,

Thanks for the response.

I am adding my comments in your points in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Hi Girish,

I was able to get a TD last weekend. Including the sales rep, we were 5 adults in the car. TD was for about 10km, on some smooth surface as well as broken/no road sections. Some observations:

1. Engine is super refined, as echoed/acknowledged by everyone. I couldn't tell if the engine was on.
2. Lots of cabin as well as boot space. Airy cabin. Rear bench can seat 3 adults, under-thigh support and head/neck rest could be better. Not bad though.
3. To me, car offers maximum benefits at low/crawling speeds, where I experience most strain on my left knee. Just a light touch on the accelerator, and car sprints forward eagerly. Absolute boon in bumper to bumper Blore traffic, that I coincidentally faced even though it was a Saturday.
4. Conversely, doing high speeds was less than exhilarating. I felt the car was running out of breath at 80+. I was in D mode all the time, and didn't try out the S mode/paddle shifters. In hindsight, I should have tested it.

Girish Mahajan : I have driven the car in D mode with 4 adults and luggage on the highway and the pickup was nice. In fact, post 70~80 kmph the pickup seemed to increase. I felt that the pickup increases 'drastically' once it crosses about 2500 rpm. In the S(ports) mode the Jazz is a different animal altogether!!

Quote:
5. Absolutely fantastic experience in the cabin at all speeds, under different road conditions we experienced. Potholes, speed humps were well absorbed; no rattles, no jerks. Coupled with refined engine, you get a premium/luxury feel in the cabin - sorta reminded of a ride in Lexus
6. Ground clearance - this was an issue. I had to go over two similar sized humps spaced about 15 feet apart. Car scraped the first one, while no issue on the second. This was with 5 adults and empty boot. These were not overly big humps, and there are much bigger humps almost all around Bangalore. So, this is a bit of concern. Probably, the larger wheel base is what causes issue.
Girish Mahajan : I feel that you may need to find the 'right' speed for a particular hump. I feel Thane district has the worst speed breakers that I have ever seen! My Honda City ZX VTEC used to scrape in many places. On the same 'car breakers' my Jazz just sails over! I can mention something else here - one Honda dealer mentioned this and I think it is right - the sound is disturbing but there is no damage to the car. Some non critical parts make a contact. You can actually raise the car on a ramp and see!

Quote:
7. AC/cabin cooling was less than satisfactory. We tried both auto and manual modes, but couldn't bring the cooling/temp to desired level in the short TD. Touch panel for HVAC was nice.

Girish Mahajan : I am shocked! That particular car must have some problem. To date I have driven 2 different TD cars (one in Mumbai and one in Pune) and my car. In all these cars I had to set 24 to 26 C - otherwise the bones start rattling!

Quote:
8. Light steering. My current hatch is a Palio, so it was a night and day difference

All in all, an excellent car for in-city/daily commute. Should be able to manage highway drives as well, given my driving style. I need to do some more CBA (cost benefit analysis), and weigh it against my core requirements once again. Zero discounts, waiting period of 6 weeks.
My impression is that overall you seem satisfied. I would say that you should not spend too much time and effort on 'analysis'!! Just go get it!!

Best of luck with your decision.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan

Mod Note : Please do NOT reply to posts using bold text within a quoted post, as it leads to visual discomfort for readers. Additionally, it's inconvenient to quote & reply to such a post.

For the correct way to quote, please see this thread.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th October 2016 at 09:57. Reason: Please do NOT reply within quotes using bold. Check your PM inbox.
GKMahajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2016, 23:02   #140

Mod note: Space between paragraph breaks helps with readability, do a Preview before Posting please. Thanks

Dear Mr Mahajan,

I came across your ownership write up while hunting for an automatic. I must admit it has been a very good write up – precise and taut, as can be penned by an Engineer! I sat the entire evening in front of the laptop savoring every reply.

My work horse, the trusty 8 year old diesel Ford Fusion has done 1.8 Lakh KMS but Knee seems to be giving up. Years of driving manual shifts both diesel and petrol, in city and highways have taken a toll. Age has caught up, sedentary life style and growing kids (also of bigger build) have made me think of a replacement that is also frugal and stress free to both driving and owning.

I drive around 30 KMS five days a week and on weekends I drive to my village with one of my kid- 350 KMS round trip with around 100 KMS ghat sections, up and down. I tried the PUGH matrix which zeroed on Ameo Diesel DSG but your write up has given me a strong reason to look at Jazz as an alternative. ( Also it’s a hatchback similar to my old Fusion).

I seek your advice on making my choice keeping in mind I do have to drive in kucha roads/mud roads, broken tarmac also.

Thank you in advance.

Please keep the thread alive, its better than a serial!
Rajaram Keelar

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th November 2016 at 23:47.
rkeelar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2016, 13:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeelar View Post
Dear Mr Mahajan,

I came across your ownership write up while hunting for an automatic. I must admit it has been a very good write up – precise and taut, as can be penned by an Engineer! I sat the entire evening in front of the laptop savoring every reply.

My work horse, the trusty 8 year old diesel Ford Fusion has done 1.8 Lakh KMS but Knee seems to be giving up. Years of driving manual shifts both diesel and petrol, in city and highways have taken a toll. Age has caught up, sedentary life style and growing kids (also of bigger build) have made me think of a replacement that is also frugal and stress free to both driving and owning.

I drive around 30 KMS five days a week and on weekends I drive to my village with one of my kid- 350 KMS round trip with around 100 KMS ghat sections, up and down. I tried the PUGH matrix which zeroed on Ameo Diesel DSG but your write up has given me a strong reason to look at Jazz as an alternative. ( Also it’s a hatchback similar to my old Fusion).

I seek your advice on making my choice keeping in mind I do have to drive in kucha roads/mud roads, broken tarmac also.

Thank you in advance.

Please keep the thread alive, its better than a serial!
Rajaram Keelar
Dear Rajaram Keelar,

I am sorry - I have not visited this site for a couple of days. Otherwise, I would have answered earlier.

First - thanks for the compliments. A large part of the credit goes to the moderators with special mention of GTO.

Regarding your car choice - I think Ameo Diesel DSG is a good car. I have no first hand experience of it. However, just my personal opinion - I would still choose the Jazz over the Ameo. I have a petrol Jazz and a diesel Scorpio. My feeling is that, for the kind of travelling you have described, the Jazz with its super silent engine and super smooth driving experience is better than the Ameo. Finally, it is a personal choice. So, take as many test drives as you can (of both cars) and then decide.

Since you have posted on this thread, maybe subconsciously you have already decided on the Jazz! Just go for it!!

Feel free to call me any time that you want to discuss directly with me.

Girish Mahajan
Old 7th December 2016, 16:02   #142

Dear Mr Mahajan,
Thank you for the prompt response. I am presently going through the painfull process requesting 'Test drive', vehicle not showing up, wrong version provided for TD, et all., Did drive the Ameo DSG though, drives well, little cramped. Awaiting the Jazz TD. My wife seems to be enamored by Jazz and wants to replace her Spark with it !

Does the Jazz have Hill hold function? Honda India blog says it does, but you've used it in the hills and so you are the best judge.

Shall keep you updated on the outcome.

Thanks
Rajaram Keelar
Old 8th December 2016, 11:12   #143
BHPian

Fantastic thread , if I buy Jazz a large credit would go to you in my decision, I mean it

BTW, the driver armrest , dit actually cost rs 16000 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Dear Sandyboy101,

Congratulations on your new steed!

Regarding the armrest, I do not think it is the original one. However, I have a feeling that these guys will not just 'give' a free 16000 Rs item! I would say - stop thinking about it. Just decide on the basis of its functionality. If it is working as desired - if your arm gets a bit of rest - if your gear shifts are easy - then - just enjoy it. Remember you are always wiser after the incidence/experience! By the way, I think the original accessory does not say 'Honda' anywhere. Anyway, I will try to check it out in the evening.

Happy driving! Safe driving!

Girish Mahajan
NitinBatra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 14:14   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitinBatra View Post
Fantastic thread , if I buy Jazz a large credit would go to you in my decision, I mean it

BTW, the driver armrest , dit actually cost rs 16000 !!
Dear NitinBatra,

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes - it did cost Rs 16,000/- ONLY! At that time, I had checked out some other units in the open market. I felt the difference to be significant. May be - not worth the difference! But still, when you take into account that I had planned to buy a much higher end car - I felt that I had saved 3~5 lakhs and a little 'splurging' was okay....

Just to provide a context, now I also have a Scorpio S10 AT 2WD. This has two armrests - one for driver and passenger each. I went in for the 8 seater model - with two benches. If I had gone in for the captain seat version 7 seater, it would have come with total 4 armrests. The armrests in my car are definitely comfortable. But the Jazz one is way ahead of it. In my Scorpio, the two armrests are not even at same height! There is no front-back sliding. There is no storage in it. It has a fabric touch feel instead of a nice leather touch in Jazz. So, I have no regrets. Whether you should go in for it or not - you should look and then decide.

I hope I have given the feedback that you desired.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 20:45   #145
BHPian

Dear Mr. Mahajan,

I have gone through your ownership review of Honda Jazz CVT and found it very informative and useful. I have done TD of the car and found it amazing in city traffic. This has been one of the shortlisted automatic cars, since I am planning to buy a new car in 2017. I do have some concerns regarding some aspects of the car which I came across in another Team-BHP review (from where I have taken some photos and also from the web):Please see attached word document.

Appreciate if you could share your views on these issues.

Best Regards,

SMSP
Attached Files
File Type: docx honda-jazz-problems.docx (406.2 KB, 842 views)
SMSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2016, 16:52   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
Dear Mr. Mahajan,

I have gone through your ownership review of Honda Jazz CVT and found it very informative and useful. I have done TD of the car and found it amazing in city traffic. This has been one of the shortlisted automatic cars, since I am planning to buy a new car in 2017. I do have some concerns regarding some aspects of the car which I came across in another Team-BHP review (from where I have taken some photos and also from the web):Please see attached word document.

Appreciate if you could share your views on these issues.

Best Regards,

SMSP
Dear SMSP,

I know that my thread is a bit long. So, thanks for having read it.

I saw the doc file. Your points are:

"The petrol gets no underbody protection." I am no expert on this. There is some mention of this in the official thread too. I do not think it will give any 'real' problem. My car has traveled quite a bit and I have not faced any problems. For some reason, even though the ground clearance is just 5 mm more than my erstwhile City, it has never touched anywhere. May be an effect of better suspension.

"Oil sump is dangerously exposed in the petrol. An easy target on bad roads. One flying stone and you're in for trouble." Again I am no expert on this. However, I have a feeling the above comment holds true for this too.

My suggestion - neither of these should be a deal breaker. If you liked the car, then buy it!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2016, 21:57   #147
BHPian

Dear Mr.Mahajan,

Thanks for the prompt response to my concerns. I had listed one more concern regarding the petrol tank located below the driver seat - you can see the photos in the word document -is it a safety issue as it is exposed below without any protection?

Regards,

SMSP
SMSP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2017, 14:19   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
Dear Mr.Mahajan,

Thanks for the prompt response to my concerns. I had listed one more concern regarding the petrol tank located below the driver seat - you can see the photos in the word document -is it a safety issue as it is exposed below without any protection?

Regards,

SMSP
Dear SMSP,

I am sorry - I have not accessed this site for a few days. Otherwise, I would have answered this earlier.

I am not sure if I am qualified for certifying the safetyof the petrol tank location. However, to the best of my knowledge, it is quite safe. In fact, I feel it is slightly safer than the rear tank - at least it cannot be damaged in a collision all that easily.

Another thought that comes to my mind is that 'overall' my Jazz shown zero speed-breaker-scraping as compared to my earlier Honda City. To me - it feels that the Jazz's petrol tank has very low chance of getting hit.

So, I would not worry if I were you.

Please note - I am open to correction by experts.

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
Old 14th January 2017, 11:32   #149
BHPian

Mahajan Sir,
Awesome review and extremely useful! It made me buy the Jazz auto v four months back. It's a fantastic car and serves my purpose well.
Have been facing two nagging issues post first free service:
1) break noise : very prominent in cold conditions for first 10 to 15 minutes of running. This noise sounds like squeezing noise and arises at all speeds. Service center says it's normal for automatic car and has done some adjustments during second service , but the noise has resurfaced again in couple of days.
I am not convinced on the logic sold by service center and would like to ask you if you had faced similar noise issue anytime.
2) hatch door noise: jazz is super silent inside and I keep getting "thud thud" noise from hatch door when going on broken roads or speed breakers or even minor road ups and downs. This was fixed by service center but has again resurfaced. Have checked the rubber plugs on the door and tried adjusting them in various positions . This noise is not of number plate as it comes even when number plate is removed , spare wheel removed, rear parcel tray removed as well.
Would be helpful to know about your experience on the topic before I escalate this to Honda
Thanks in advance
Old 15th February 2017, 10:03   #150
BHPian

This is a response from my friend, who got advises and suggestions for the query posted on 18th Feb 2016 (post #56 in the same topic , seeking advice to buy a BalenoCVT or JazzCVT ) from Girish Sir and others and he is a owner of Jazz V CVT (Golden Brown metallic color) for past 5 months . He wants to convey his Thanks to you all
so far he drove 2500 KM , mainly weekend city driving , one Bangalore - Pondy - Bangalore trip..

He has some observations , his prior driving experience is Santro AT for 60000 KM over 11 years .
with Santro AT , it is used to crawl at 7 KMPH - 10 KMPH at bumper to bumper traffic scenario and only control using brakes .
but with CVT , he feels there is no forward moment , he needs to give thrust using accelerator for the vehicle to move forward. And the thrust causes an RPM swing to 2000+ for a second or two ..
Is he missing something and need to correct himself / driving style .
Or what is the best way to drive in heavy traffic scenario .

Another point regarding Ghat section driving :
He did a Ooty trip on his Santro AT
Bangalore - Salem - Mettupalyam - Kotagiri - Ooty - Gudalur - Bandipur - Mysore - Bangalore . uphill or downhill was not at all an issue .
he avoided the Masinagudi - Ooty 36 hairpin route to avoid brakepad heating issues .. as engine braking was not possible with Santro AT and excessive usage of Brakes is not advisable .
He went to Nandi hills too without an issue in his Santro AT.
and I think the Nandi Hill's last curve is a kind of benchmark for ghat driving ..

Now comes the question , with jazz CVT .. is uphill / downhill driving is as simple as with conventional AT .
Any Bangaloreans can throw light on whether with jazz CVT one can drive the Nandihills' last turn easily (on both sides uphill / downhill )

Basically How much steep becomes tricky with jazz CVT . He is not too comfortable with driving in S mode.
ashbhat2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed