Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2016, 22:14   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Dear V.Narayan,
I am glued to this thread of late because I'm on the verge of buying a used 2010 Jazz in Bangalore. Your observations and experiences make me wanna buy it more now.

Just a quick question, what tyre size would a good upgrade. I would prefer a 195 instead of the 175. Will this alter the driving dynamics of the car too much. If the steering is going to get heavier, I wouldn't mind one bit because I am used to the steering of a Ford Figo.

Coplay
Coplay, I am no expert on tyre sizes and associated performance. My instinct tells me you will be better off - the Jazz can accommodate a size bigger. The Jazz's steering is very light. So a slight heaving up will not make things difficult at all.

Where reliability is concerned I am happy to stand by my statement that of all the cars I've owned the Honda Jazz has been the most reliable. Suggest you look at Team BHP's section on pre-purchase inspection. I personally found it very useful when purchasing my Volvo XC60. Best wishes for your purchase and many happy and safe miles of motoring. - Narayan

PS: If you have questions I would be pleased to talk to the mechanics at the service centre I use and get their inputs.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 11:46   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Coplay, I am no expert on tyre sizes and associated performance. My instinct tells me you will be better off - the Jazz can accommodate a size bigger. The Jazz's steering is very light. So a slight heaving up will not make things difficult at all.

Where reliability is concerned I am happy to stand by my statement that of all the cars I've owned the Honda Jazz has been the most reliable. Suggest you look at Team BHP's section on pre-purchase inspection. I personally found it very useful when purchasing my Volvo XC60. Best wishes for your purchase and many happy and safe miles of motoring. - Narayan

PS: If you have questions I would be pleased to talk to the mechanics at the service centre I use and get their inputs.
Thank you for the clarifications Sir.
I will definitely look at the pre-purchase inspection article/document here before inspecting cars.
Also, thanks a lot for offering to talk to mechanics for inputs. Your descriptions on the thread are more than enough for any prospective buyer. I will alo get the vehicle thoroughly checked by a Honda SC before making a purchase.

Cheers,
Coplay
Old 17th September 2016, 16:12   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Thank you for the clarifications Sir.
Also, thanks a lot for offering to talk to mechanics for inputs.

Cheers,
Coplay
Coplay, I am sure you have read this thread on Team BHP but including it here as it specifically addresses your question.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-thread-4.html

The service engineer said if the car is out of warranty up-wheeling to 195 is not a problem. If still under warranty there is a risk Honda will negate it. Let us know what your final purchase is.
Old 15th October 2016, 07:10   #34
BHPian

Narayan Sir,

Thank you so much for penning down the long term ownership of this beautiful car. I've just begun search for my second car, and although I thought I really had two choices (Ertiga & BRV), some re-think is suggesting I may be better off acquiring a second hatch. Jazz is a car that I've never been able to get off my mind ever since its original launch. And having since seen it in 'Fit' avatar in the west, I just lobbed it up to my parents as an option. Their first reactions are positive. I'm chasing Dakshin Honda for a TD of the CVT variant. I'm sure the sweet agony & confusion is going to prevail for some time, before the fog clears up and my final choice reveals itself to me but I'm sure Jazz is going to be high up on the final shortlist.
prashkul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 13:39   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Narayan Sir,

Thank you so much for penning down the long term ownership of this beautiful car. I've just begun search for my second car, and although I thought I really had two choices (Ertiga & BRV), some re-think is suggesting I may be better off acquiring a second hatch.....I just lobbed it up to my parents as an option. Their first reactions are positive......but I'm sure Jazz is going to be high up on the final shortlist.
Dear Prashkul, I am glad you found my article useful. All the best with your search. Let us know what you settle on and why with pictures. If you have your parents in mind for the 2nd hatchback then the higher seat level of the Jazz will be something they might appreciate. It makes sitting down & getting up easier for folks who are older or heavier. That was one factor on my mind when the Jazz was purchased as my elders are on the other side of 85. Best of luck and thank you for your kind words. Regards, Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 15th October 2016 at 13:40.
Old 16th May 2017, 18:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda Jazz will complete 7 years of faithful service in a few weeks. I shall be writing my annual update. If any Team BHPian would like a particular point to be covered please let me know. If and when I replace this car it would most probably be a Jazz plug-in hybrid (if and when that comes to our shores). Thanks, Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 16th May 2017 at 18:09.
Old 27th May 2017, 14:23   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Our family's Honda Jazz completes 7 years of faithful trouble free service. Over the last 2 years she has got relegated to the utility maid of all work in our garage. She gets driven by 5 adults and 2 employee drivers so is constantly subjected to different driving styles and associated pulls and pressures on the machinery. Our 4 plus 3 year warranty period is over. It came in handy when parts of the clutch needed changing at the end of year 6 due to excessive wear and tear due to so many different drivers. Twice in her life she has been mauled by one of our young adults, as they learnt how to drive and underwent serious body work. A couple of months ago the air bags were changed under a recall scheme that Honda ran. Beyond this the Jazz is a real fill it shut it forget it kind of car especially for city driving.

City Driving: This is your city run about car - sharp on the turn (4.9 metres radius), light on the steering, the huge glass area makes tight parking easier, has a silent cabin for a small car, nice useful ORVMs and IRVM, a short bonnet and a nice strong air conditioning. If you need a car to get around your town and are not necessarily looking for jet engine acceleration and engine growl then the Jazz is your horse.

Service Centre Quality: I believe, within limits, service centre quality is influenced by your approach and attitude towards those young maintenance engineers who are themselves struggling to build a career. I adopt an avuncular attitude towards them and it works effectively. I use Ring Road Honda at Gurgaon for my service. I never stand and wait ut I do take the trouble of chatting up the engineer before and after and dropping a word of appreciation to the centre manager. So far it is my assumption that they are doing the servicing correctly as the car has run smoothly for 7 years.

Maintenance: Expenditure other than accident repair and changing 4 tyres is around Rs 80,000 over 7 years and 54,000 kms. That is about Rs 1.48 paisa per kms or Rs ~11,500 a year. I believe this is very reasonable. In this calculation I have not included the money spent on waxing/cleaning at 3M as that is a spit and polish luxury. The first time ever we dealt with rattling was 3 months ago which was fixed by replacing rubber bushings in the rear left door and rear gate.

What you’ll like:
  1. A mini- multi purpose vehicle. Great for carrying out sized luggage as well as people.
  2. Built around Honda's philosophy of maximum man and minimum machine
  3. Easily the roomiest hatchback in India in its size/price range
  4. Magic seats are useful to transport tall items. We have moved plants, a bycycle and even a small 2 seat sofa!
  5. Light controls and easy maneuverability. Effortless to drive in the city
  6. AC for the Indian summer
  7. Driver's view all around that aids safe driving and parking
  8. 385 litre dickey; fuel tank under the front seats frees up space in the dickey
  9. The ABS + EBD assisted brakes are effective and strong
  10. Rear window wiper and de-fogger
  11. Music system decent - 2 woofers and 2 tweeters
  12. Fuel efficiency meter for the enthusiasts
  13. Remote entry key
  14. Tall boy design and wide opening doors makes ingress and egress easier for folks who are older or fatter.
What you won't like:
  1. Hard ride. Well relative to my other bigger cars the ride being hard is expected. But it is hard even in comparison to the Amaze we have.
  2. The gearing has a weak lower end that leads to driving in traffic in 1st & 2nd almost all through.
  3. Relative to later hatchbacks like the i20 the interiors are more basic. It is effectively a 10 to 12 year old design.
  4. Steering does not have reach adjustment for those who need it.
  5. No dead pedal, arm rest or rear air con vents.

For the record key technical details of the Honda Jazz 1.2 i-vtec are given below:

Power train:

Displacement:1198 cc
Power: 89bhp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 110 NM @ 4800 rpm
5-speed manual, 5F+1R, all forward speeds synchromesh with overdrive on 5th gear (may also be on 4th but I am not sure)
Fuel Tank: 42 litres
Fuel tank & piping actually take in about 44 litres. Practical driving range about 500 kms in the city

Safety:

Dual SRS airbags - front
ABS
Fog Lamps
Rear wiper

Dimensions:

Length: 3900 mm
Width: 1695 mm
Height: 1525 mm
Wheelbase: 2500 mm
Ground clearence: 160 mm
Ground clearance has served us well though some may say 160mm is on the margin

Steering:

Electric power assisted, rack and pinion
Steering is light (glass is half full) or lifeless (glass is half empty)

Suspension:

Front: McPherson strut with stabilizer bar
Rear: H shaped torsion beam with stabilizer bar
Suspension needs a cushier ride

Brakes:

Front: ventilated disc
Rear: self adjusting drum, leading and trailing shoe type
Brakes are effective

With seven years up the question is what next. Ideally I would replace the car with a Jazz plug-in Hybrid as and when that comes. It seems likely this bugs bunny car will be with me for another 3 years. Maybe I should keep her for another 30 years and have a classic on my hands in 2047 Who knows some future grandchild may bless my departed soul for the foresight of preserving the Jazz!

Last edited by V.Narayan : 27th May 2017 at 14:35.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th June 2018, 23:13   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

This month our bugs bunny blew out 8 candles on its birthday cake of grease lubricants. I will be posting a write up soon along with some dainty photos. If any Team BHPian has questions on the Honda Jazz please do drop a line and I will try and answer as best as I can. The review will also include a letter to M/s Honda Motor Co. - Narayan

Last edited by V.Narayan : 13th June 2018 at 23:15.
Old 14th June 2018, 08:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
This month our bugs bunny blew out 8 candles on its birthday cake of grease lubricants. I will be posting a write up soon along with some dainty photos. If any Team BHPian has questions on the Honda Jazz please do drop a line and I will try and answer as best as I can. The review will also include a letter to M/s Honda Motor Co. - Narayan
Looking forward to it sir, i have two Honda petrols (City and Brio). So interested in knowing how they perform in long term.
zoom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 17:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

The Fill it Shut it Forget it - Honda Jazz 2010; 8 years and 60,000+ kms later

This car is the baby of the family - Lexus ES300h, Volvo XC60, Amaze & the Jazz. The photos narrate the story. The car has been the most reliable and untroublesome car I have ever owned. In this respect it is as neat as the significantly more expensive cars like the Lexus and XC60. It has required no maintenance other than routine. The only exception here being a clutch plate assembly which was changed in year 6. That was because the car is driven by 2 drivers, 3 kids, 2 nephew/nieces, me and once in a while by odd relatives.

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year-1.jpg
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year-2.jpg
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year-4.1.jpg
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year-4.jpg

Last week I got installed 3M's sound damper materials. These are inserted in the door panels. 3M claim it cuts external road noise levels by 15 decibels. My take - yes it does improve the quietness in the cabin. However I honestly don't know by listening how much is 15 decibels and whether that is achieved or not. But the cabin does get quieter and shuts out some more of the outside traffic noise [this assumes the windows are rolled up ]. Photos below of the old material being removed and new being placed in.

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year-5.jpg
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year-6.jpg

Relative to our other cars her running is now limited to about 300 to 400 kms a month primarily on utility runs. She is used every day but only for the shorter routes within Gurgaon. An ideal replacement in 2020 would be a Jazz Hybrid.
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th-year.3.jpg

Last edited by V.Narayan : 5th October 2018 at 17:59.
V.Narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 18:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Nice to read about a fellow jazz long termer. Wish you many safe miles ahead.

My 2009 Jazz has done 77k kms, it still runs like a charm. truly a fill it - shut it - forget it car. I also got the doors damped a few years ago and currently its on the third set of tyres.
But the interiors are beginning to show the age especially the door pads. The ride quality was never plush, maybe now my older bones are asking for some respite especially on longer drives. The kids too are growing taller and finding it difficult to fit themselves in the rear seat.
Lets see how things move ahead.

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th October 2018 at 18:24.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019, 22:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

It has been about 4 months since the 3M sound dampening material was installed inside the doors. To be honest I can't tell the difference. Not saying the dampening doesn't work just that with my human ear it is not possible to tell if there is a noticeable and significant improvement. As money has been spent on it I convince myself the ambient noise inside the cabin is quieter.

The old dog just back from a servicing & wash session. In less than 4 months she will celebrate her 9th birthday. Touch up paint on scratches is now a challenge as this shade of red is no longer in stock.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-8th.b.jpg  

Last edited by V.Narayan : 2nd February 2019 at 22:11.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2019, 00:09   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has been about 4 months since the 3M sound dampening material was installed inside the doors. To be honest I can't tell the difference. Not saying the dampening doesn't work just that with my human ear it is not possible to tell if there is a noticeable and significant improvement. As money has been spent on it I convince myself the ambient noise inside the cabin is quieter.
To be honest, it doesn't make any difference to noise reduction. I have seen many people getting it installed, or attempting a DIY(yours truly), and no reduction in noise can be perceived. It dampens some vibrations from panels when speakers are fired up, or eliminates some rattles, that's it! There is nothing significant in the package which can stop noise coming from outside.

There is a new series of 3M noise reduction rubber seals coming up, which truly works towards reducing outside noise.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 21:31   #44
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
re is a new series of 3M noise reduction rubber seals coming up, which truly works towards reducing outside noise.
Shouldn’t it also depend from which section of the loudenn scale it reduces those 15 decibel? 40 from 55 would be hardly noticable when compared to 100 from 115.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2019, 22:09   #45
BHPian

I got same dampening treatment done on Figo diesel, it greatly improved music listening experience and cuts down some road noise while music is not playing. If one is looking to turn cabin super silent, look elsewhere.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed