Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2016, 21:51   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2010 Honda Jazz - 6 years & 50,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
Amazing review sir! My dream car from a Buggatti Veyron has now turned into the Honda Jazz (not exaggerating). I'm already planning on buying one in the used car market of course (don't like the new Jazz at all). Just so that I can start somewhere, can you tell me the top model of the Pre- Gen Jazz, I know the top model now is VX, was it the same then?

Thanks in advance.
Variants:

Jazz Base - Dual airbags, ABS + EBD, Immobilizer, Audio system + steering controls, Keyless Entry

Jazz Active - Jazz base plus spoiler, body colour grille, front fog lamps, Chrome rings + panel (interiors), side step garnishes

Jazz Mode - Body side moldings + corner protectors, mud flaps, Chrome rings + panel (interiors), side step garnishes

Best of luck with your purchase. In the pre-owned category you have selected well.
Old 2nd April 2016, 19:26   #17
BHPian

Hey! V.Narayan, you are correct. Hardly any jazz ownership review threads on tbhp and most of them are not even updated. Even I'm a proud owner of a preowned friend's 2010 Jazz Base which we bought in 2014.

It had 76,000 kms on the odo and is now around 85,500 kms. It was put into proper daily use since last 2 months otherwise it was used once a week since my other cars were unavailable due to some reasons.

I learned driving on this thing. Since I'm a car enthusiast like every BHPian here, the car's clutch had a hard time because of me. Currently it's running on 195mm CPC2s which have enhanced the handling a lot. Never lost grip till now during high speed cornering but it rolls a lot. Braking is great and progressive. Ride comfort is good and the AC even humiliates my VW. But the car crashes into potholes at low speeds and rattles like hell.

Talking about the engine, it has tremendous power near the redline and excites me a lot everytime I drive it. But if you are in not right gear at the right time, you have no performance at all! I struggle climbing flyovers with 5 people on board and with luggage. It just doesn't accelerate on inclines.

The car has no issues till now. Low bottom end torque and the ground clearance is the major issue. The car has scraped horribly many times and so loudly sometimes that people had gathered thinking it was an accident.

Nevertheless, it's a super reliable and no nonsense car. There are less than 50 Jazzs in the town from which I bought so I had to order my engine guard and left quarter panel in advance. Just had to 500 bucks advance though. Drool!

Here are a couple of pics I clicked yesterday with my Canon 550D.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-1459605210772.jpg  

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-1459605261085.jpg  

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-1459605299726.jpg  

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-1459605356025.jpg  

Last edited by 300 KMPH : 2nd April 2016 at 19:31.
300 KMPH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 22:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 KMPH View Post
Hey! V.Narayan, you are correct. Hardly any jazz ownership review threads on tbhp and most of them are not even updated. Even I'm a proud owner of a preowned friend's 2010 Jazz Base which we bought in 2014.

... and the ground clearance is the major issue. The car has scraped horribly many times and so loudly sometimes that people had gathered thinking it was an accident.

Nevertheless, it's a super reliable and no nonsense car.
Dear 300 KMPH, First congratulations on acquiring this superbly reliable car. I hope it gives you many years of solid service. You may want to check your suspension and why the ground clearance is sagging. In almost 6 years I have not experienced this bad scrapping piece. Of course that assumes the speed breakers are dealt with gently. You have probably just started on the joys of motoring. Here is wishing you many decades of safe driving. Please post more digital photos.

I will be posting regular ownership updates at anniversaries. - Narayan
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-pc2.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 10:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
You may want to check your suspension and why the ground clearance is sagging. In almost 6 years I have not experienced this bad scrapping piece. Of course that assumes the speed breakers are dealt with gently. You have probably just started on the joys of motoring. Here is wishing you many decades of safe driving. Please post more digital photos.

I will be posting regular ownership updates at anniversaries. - Narayan
Yes. The car is due for a service and will be servicing it soon. I will tell my service advisor to inspect the suspension as well.

BTW at my 79k service the car's clutch had become hard and jerky and same thing has happened now. It gets sorted out at service though. Normal or worrying?
Old 10th April 2016, 17:39   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
BTW at my 79k service the car's clutch had become hard and jerky and same thing has happened now. It gets sorted out at service though. Normal or worrying?
I spoke to my Honda service chap. He suggested you should have it checked thoroughly. As it is a pre-owned car you do not know how properly or improperly the previous owner used the clutch. Ideally the clutch should not be giving trouble at 79,000 kms. but who knows the previous owner may be one of those who 'ride' on the clutch all the time thus wearing it out. My experience with Honda (Jazz & Amaze) over 6 years has been that they do not recommended change of parts unless needed. All the best.
Old 11th April 2016, 18:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
I spoke to my Honda service chap. He suggested you should have it checked thoroughly. As it is a pre-owned car you do not know how properly or improperly the previous owner used the clutch. Ideally the clutch should not be giving trouble at 79,000 kms. but who knows the previous owner may be one of those who 'ride' on the clutch all the time thus wearing it out.
The car was bought from a good friend of mine so I have been seeing it from day 1. The jerky action of clutch at 79k was sorted out without any charge. Since the previous owner is some kind of a car guy too, so he used to use the clutch as it was supposed to be used because I've taken a ride with him when car was a couple of days old.

But anyway, thanks for asking about it to your service advisor for me. I will keep all guys updated through this thread

Last edited by 300 KMPH : 11th April 2016 at 18:13.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:07   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

The Honda Jazz is now the oldest member of our stable and has just clocked 6 years. Mileage 50,000 and change. It is the family's runabout horse and occasionally I commute to work with it. Monthly running is now a modest 450 to 500 kms a month. Interesting characteristic of its usage is that it is used by a lot of folks - from our two drivers to our 4 young adults who now visit home occasionally on work leave or to get the laundry done.

Observations on the 6th birthday:

No rattles, no higgles or niggles, no strange noises.

No major parts that have needed replacement yet. Maintenance costs thus far - not including accident repair - would be in the Rs 50,000 to 70,000 range over 6 years. Only major replacement was of the 4 tyres at 45,000 kms.

The engine runs smooth as silk. While stationery in neutral the engine is inaudible for all practical purposes.

Convenient city and traffic runabout with oodles of practicalness about it. Light clutch and light steering help reduce the irritation of driving in traffic. Turning radius of ~5 metres or less. Easy to maneuver in traffic and narrow roads.

Cabin offers lots of spaces and hooks to keep or hang your things - from phones to specs to coats. It even has a tray under the rear seat though admittedly it has been used only rarely. The fold up feature of the rear seat has been used to transport my wife's plants on more occasions than I can count.

First class visibility all around. Makes it an easy car to drive especially for the less experienced. Large ORVMs. The ORVMs are far more effective than those on our Skoda Superb. Because of rear visibility easy to park in tight spots.

A lot has been written about the torque at low gears being inadequate. Yes and no. Everything is relative.

Ride quality especially in the rear seat is so-so but good enough. 160mm ground clearance has been adequate for NCR's roads.

The fabric of the seats and the plastics of the interior have both worn well. Thanks to regular clean-ship at 3M the plastics still look very neat. The only pieces wearing off are the skin of the steering wheel and the leather cover of the gear stick.

The service and quality standards at Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon have been fully satisfactory. The trouble free service was one factor in deciding to buy a Honda Amaze for my mother in January 2015.

I would be pleased to answer any questions. Next update same time same thread next year on the 7th birthday. I've promised my favourite girl that she will be with me a long long time.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 22nd May 2016 at 16:27. Reason: additions
V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 16:46   #23
BHPian

Your update speaks volumes about the quality of the last generation Jazz. Truly standing the test of time and flawlessly serving what it was meant to do.

Long, long time you bet! You've only just begun!
forester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:20   #24
BHPian

Hey V.Narayan! I recently did my 85k service too. Total bill was 10,200/-

Things done were:

1. Oil change, air filter change.
2. New Engine Guard.
3. New left quarter panel (black portion next to the LHS mirror)
4. AC cleaning
5. Interior cleanup

On the other hand, checked the suspension and clutch as I was complaining. They said apart from weak link rods (still life is left) and noisy steering rack, the car is in great condition.

After air filter change, there is a significant improvement in performance and now pulls even cleaner.
300 KMPH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 19:26   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forester View Post
Your update speaks volumes about the quality of the last generation Jazz. Truly standing the test of time and flawlessly serving what it was meant to do.
Forester, of all the 12 cars I have owned and driven in three and a half decades the Honda Jazz has proved to be the most reliable and one requiring least maintenance beyond the strictly routine. Touch wood. I intend to keep it till 2020 ie for 10 years. My earlier commuter cars were the Corsa (2000 to 2010) and Padmini (1990 to 2000) - so it kind of fits!

Quote:
I recently did my 85k service too. Total bill was 10,200/- After air filter change, there is a significant improvement in performance and now pulls even cleaner.
Good to hear this. After my wheel alloys got dirty with scratches I had them replaced with those of the Honda City to lift up the car's looks.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 21:46   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Forester, of all the 12 cars I have owned and driven in three and a half decades the Honda Jazz has proved to be the most reliable and one requiring least maintenance beyond the strictly routine. Touch wood. I intend to keep it till 2020 ie for 10 years. My earlier commuter cars were the Corsa (2000 to 2010) and Padmini (1990 to 2000) - so it kind of fits!
I completely agree with you on the maintenance part. This model of the Jazz was engineered when setting precedents in the areas of quality, design and safety used to be the top priorities for a lot of companies. Alas, there has been a sudden wave of cost cutting in the recent times.

Glad to see that the Europeans in your stable served you nicely as well.
forester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 22:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

My Jazz (2010 model) completed its 25th Honda service last week. Honda requires the service to be conducted every 3 months or XXX kms. As we never reach the kms limit it continues every 3 months. It seems like a very high frequency but nevertheless like a obedient school boy I have been compliant.

This time I had the clutch assembly changed. In our joint family far too many drive the Jazz - 4 young adults and both the drivers and me. I think this exposure to multiple styles and the fact that the 4 kids practiced their driving lessons on the Jazz has led to an early wear out of the clutch.

Our youngest is now in 'learning' mode hence those large 'L' signs. I am relieved that after this there are no more instructor duties for me at least in this life time. When she saw her youngest grandchild get her license my mother suddenly had this urge to re-learn how to drive. She had learnt in Mumbai in the 1960s and stopped driving in 1973 (why I don’t know). It took a while to get her to realize that traffic conditions in South Bombay in 1969 were a little different from those of NCR in 2016!

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-r1-2.jpg
The car wears an arrow like MPV profile and comes across as a one-box design. A very practical city car. I sometimes wonder if buying the new Jazz automatic makes sense for my commute.

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-r2.jpg
This Jazz model in its time won the "Japanese Car of the Year Award". I feel a warm possessive glow towards this reliable trouble free horse. Love to keep her in top trim and shining.

2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-r3.jpg
One challenge my youngest is having is in figuring out whether the engine is on or off - that's how refined and quiet it is.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2016, 22:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Jazz (2010 model) completed its 25th Honda service last week. Honda requires the service to be conducted every 3 months or XXX kms.
Could you estimate the average cost of each of these 3-month services?

This is an unusually high frequency as you point out - nearly every car I can think of lets you go at least six months between services. I'm sure the engine oil is not being changed every service so I'm wondering what exactly needs to be attended to on a three month cycle?
McLaren Rulez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2016, 21:04   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Could you estimate the average cost of each of these 3-month services?

This is an unusually high frequency as you point out - nearly every car I can think of lets you go at least six months between services. I'm sure the engine oil is not being changed every service so I'm wondering what exactly needs to be attended to on a three month cycle?
If the Honda Jazz is covered by the warranty period then Honda requires the service cycle to be a 3-monthly one. Once your vehicle is out of warranty then the cycle changes to a more normal 6 monthly one. My car was initially under the usual new car warranty of 4 or 5 years (can't recall). Since then I have had it extended to the maximum of 7 years. In my case the 7 years complete in the first half of 2017. After that the car will move to a once in 6-months service cycle. Each of the 3 monthly services are/were in the Rs 1500 to 3000 each range. I don't really remember exactly what was done in a service - I am not much of a petrohead and rarely delve into the details so long as the machine works well - sorry about that. Hope this helps.

The old girl is saying 'I love being spoilt by good care'! I dote on this bugs bunny of a car much like a young mother would on her infant.
Attached Thumbnails
2010 Honda Jazz - Update: Now Sold!-r5.jpg  

V.Narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 12:36   #30
BHPian

Dear V.Narayan,
I am glued to this thread of late because I'm on the verge of buying a used 2010 Jazz in Bangalore. Your observations and experiences make me wanna buy it more now.
I believe this is a great car and the statement u made that this particular model has the best Honda engine in their entire lineup is constantly ringing in my head.

Just a quick question, what tyre size would a good upgrade. I would prefer a 195 instead of the 175. Will this alter the driving dynamics of the car too much. If the steering is going to get heavier, I wouldn't mind one bit because I am used to the steering of a Ford Figo.

Thanks,
Coplay

Most Viewed