Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2016, 00:19   #46
BHPian

re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Those seat covers have just transformed the interiors. They just look splendid.
Did you get those neck rests from auto furnish?
And, the much awaited day/night mirror. I will also get it soon for my 800.
sumitsinha0280 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 01:05   #47
Pal
BHPian

re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Take a bow Mr. Shashi! I am just overwhelmed with nostalgia of my old M800s (3 owned: 2 by my dad, 1 by me). Honestly, I almost had tears seeing the painstaking detailing shown here!! (Manufacturing date print on a rubber hose after 16yrs? Unreal!)

Your love is legendary. I think two important people need to be credited for a playing a major supporting part in this documentary-esque review - your father and Mr. Dhiraj. Hats off to the immaculate detailing. Its been ages since I have read not just the entire write up, but also all the messages uptill here.

You know, it may sound funny, but your discipline is Zen-like for your car! I hope somebody can share this upto Maruti Suzuki India or Japan levels and recognise the efforts/ love of not just you, as an owner but also your dedicated SA, Dhiraj for your relationship towards your car. Ah! what a joy indeed!!!
Pal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 15:02   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post
Did you get those neck rests from auto furnish?
Yes Sumit, the interiors have really transformed with the new seat covers. I bought the neckrests from a NEXA store since they had a variety of them in black color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Take a bow Mr. Shashi! I am just overwhelmed with nostalgia of my old M800s (3 owned: 2 by my dad, 1 by me). Honestly, I almost had tears seeing the painstaking detailing shown here!!
Thanks Sir for your comments. Over the years, my love for this car has matured a bit, and I am not that crazy as I was in my childhood. In 2002, I almost lost my fingers trying to save a scratch on its body-my fingers were crushed beyond recognition, but I did manage to save the scratch.
If I think about that incident today, I think it was pure and unadulterated child's love at play there. I will still do anything to avoid damage to this car, but certainly wouldn't offer my limbs for the cause.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 30th March 2016 at 15:04.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 15:34   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Thanks Sir. This car will be with me till my life. And I will keep troubling you with my queries in future, if any issue arises,
Shashi
Dear Shashi - thanks, you can ask anything, anytime. One more piece of information on the 5 speed car's struts and suspension, it is same as the Zen. I got this information from one of my very good motorsports friends, who has worked very closely on this version of the 800.

One more suggestion from my side, you may implement if you like. Remove both the number plates, make new ones with Z axis height reduced to 90mm maximum and X axis length only 10mm more on each side from the center to center dimension of the M6*1.0 size mounting fasteners. Go to a hardware shop selling aluminum sliding windows parts and buy 3.5" wide (means 90mm) and 4 or 5mm thick aluminium plates. Get them cut from his aluminium cutting saw, this will give exact 90 degree cuts. Mark, center-punch and carefully drill 1/4" size (means 6.35mm) diameter 2 holes in each of them, de-burr the holes, remove sharp corners and then get the plates white powder coated. Then go to your friendly neighbourhood number-plate-wallah and tell him to paint or sticker the number to the exact font that you like, thicker and squarer font without unnecessary projections will look classier. Remember, DO NOT put black side borders on the number plates. Also, DO NOT put black dots between the series and the numbers, these things completely ruin the clean and classy look. Lastly, buy 4 numbers of M6*1.0*20mm long stainless steel or green passivated allen bolts with an allen key and use these fasteners to mount the number plates. If you don't get stainless steel allen bolts, use the bolts which mount the front wheel bearing grease cup on the front wheel hub of the Tata Sumo, it is M6*1.0 and it is green passivated. The number plates must fit perfectly horizontal. Do it and see how it completely transforms the look of your car. . This is the way I do it, I am mad, isn't it? .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 30th March 2016 at 15:40.
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 21:20   #50
BHPian

Finally it's up! I remember you telling me about the review when this was under process and you've surely put each and every detail. When I first saw your car, I was astonished to see a decade old car so well maintained. Even I own a 12yrs old car but have not been able to keep the car in showroom condition like you. Thoroughly enjoyed the review, keep the pictures flowing. Looking forward to meet you when I visit home.

Quote:
4. A micro TBHP meet- With BHPian swapnilalto's '04 Alto
A better picture of our cars since the dog photobombed the earlier pic.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20150305_180035.jpg
Swapnil_Alto is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 11:24   #51
BHPian

Fantastic Shashi. I am not sure whether to praise your review or your passion for your car or the car itself. You have shown immense patience in maintaining your car. The car looks as good as new. Wish you many more miles on your 800.
PapaBravo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 16:07   #52
BHPian

Great LTR. I really enjoyed reading it. I could feel your passion for this car through the entire post and it really made it a great review.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 07:42   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Indeed joining late to the party but I owed a reply here having read your fantastic ownership report.

16 Years doesn't get qualified to be part of Long term ownership on this forum - It rather be the longest!

It takes a lot of passion, dedication & confidence in yourself along with the car that you own to make this possible. After all, how many times we have heard the classic line "My car is nearing 1 Lac, I need to get rid of it before I start spending on it" only because one is unable to differentiate between Periodic Maintenance costs & costs incurred in replacing the wear & Tear parts. For no specific reason, I have always believed in not just owning the car but driving it and maintaining it if you are driving it so much.

Even today, my humble WagonR-F10D that is now 10 years old and munched 2.4 Lacs on the ODO wont let me down no matter what drive I take up. When speaking to my friends I always tell that if I drive to Leh again, it will be the WagonR and not the Ertiga. After all, it is always a proud feeling when you do this on a car that has clocked so much without a noise.

So Shashi, thank you for giving us this wonderful ownership review at the right time. You are hereby granted the official licence to say "My car is reliable" .

And thanks again for referring my name. I have always felt we all learn from our own experiences and that is the best teacher. You inputs for replacing the Stabilizer bar Bushes didn't work on my Ertiga and as I always suspected it is indeed the Steering rack that is the bone of contention here (that was replaced under warranty). Of course, I need to visit the ASC some day to get this sorted but lack of time is not making that happen.

Quote:
My ownership review about this car would be incomplete without thanking two awesome SA's I met- Mr Dhiraj and his colleague Mr. Yadav. These two have got numerous awards both in India by Maruti and have also been rewarded by Suzuki in various competitions.
Quote:
My SA took out a disc deflection measuring instrument and noticed the values and found them to be under the recommended range. He asked me a day's time, and said he will revert back after some brain-storming.

He calls me the next day. He asks the senior-most mechanic to replace the stabiliser bar bushes. After the replacement was done, we went on a TD. I was surprised to see that the issue was resolved. When I asked him why didn't he doubt the discs, he said that my discs were fine, and since the vibrations were felt only on the steering and not on the pedals, he doubted its something other than the discs.
There are way too less ASCs and Service Advisors who care to acknowledge the issue that an owner reports. You have actually got someone who has taken the pain to troubleshoot issues brilliantly with all the right set of equipment! There is no wonder the results show up when they receive accolades as an acknowledgement for such genuine efforts.

Wishing you many more miles with the love of your life!
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st April 2016, 13:41   #54
BHPian

Shashi mind blowing review. You've frankly speaking embarrased me and my thread with the amount of details that you've covered in your review. The best review I've so far come to see of an 800. And yes I envy the car you have in your garage. I used to cry about as a child when I came to know that there was a 5speed Maruti 800 power packed pocket rocket. Wish you many more kilometres of happiness in your car.

Regards,
Subhra
tacho9000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2016, 00:40   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Shashi - thanks, you can ask anything, anytime. One more piece of information on the 5 speed car's struts and suspension, it is same as the Zen. I got this information from one of my very good motorsports friends, who has worked very closely on this version of the 800.
I agree!!. When I changed the rear shocks, it costed me Rs. 1700 for the pair. I was shocked, since when I had asked other 800 owners, they had given me an estimate of around Rs.1000. It was then when my SA showed me in the parts manual that same spare goes for the Zen and the 5 speed 800 both!!

Also around a series of bends and turns, this 5 Speed 800 feels more surefooted and composed than its four speed counterpart.

Quote:
One more suggestion from my side, you may implement if you like.
I have visualised 90% of what you are asking me to do, and I am thrilled to implement it!! This thing will surely be done in the next few days.

Quote:
This is the way I do it, I am mad, isn't it?
Its because of the same madness and perfectionist like attitude, that you are a revered figure among us enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil_Alto View Post

A better picture of our cars since the dog photobombed the earlier pic.
Thanks for your comment Swapnil. That dog refused to move an inch when I was clicking pics, and in Saket Bhaiya's words, the dog too was an auto-enthusiast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Fantastic Shashi. I am not sure whether to praise your review or your passion for your car or the car itself. You have shown immense patience in maintaining your car. The car looks as good as new. Wish you many more miles on your 800.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Great LTR. I really enjoyed reading it. I could feel your passion for this car through the entire post and it really made it a great review.
Thanks for your encouraging comments, Gentlemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Indeed joining late to the party but I owed a reply here having read your fantastic ownership report.
I was patiently waiting for your reply, since I am aware of your busy schedule.

Quote:
Even today, my humble WagonR-F10D that is now 10 years old and munched 2.4 Lacs on the ODO wont let me down no matter what drive I take up. When speaking to my friends I always tell that if I drive to Leh again, it will be the WagonR and not the Ertiga. After all, it is always a proud feeling when you do this on a car that has clocked so much without a noise.
I wholeheartedly agree!! I meet many people who skip a beat when they come to know about the age of my car and they skip two, when they hear the number of miles it has done. Incidents like these fill you with a sense of accomplishment and happiness.

I am also confident about my 800 that it still has the guts to take me through hell and come out unscathed. All I am waiting for, is BHPian Sumitsinha0280's Type 1 to get fully restored, after which, we will be setting our eyes on the Ladakh feat.

Quote:
You are hereby granted the official licence to say "My car is reliable".
I am overwhelmed after receiving such a comment from an enthusiast like you. Thanks Parag Sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacho9000 View Post
Shashi mind blowing review. You've frankly speaking embarrased me and my thread with the amount of details that you've covered in your review. The best review I've so far come to see of an 800. And yes I envy the car you have in your garage. I used to cry about as a child when I came to know that there was a 5speed Maruti 800 power packed pocket rocket. Wish you many more kilometres of happiness in your car.

Regards,
Subhra
Thanks Subhra Da for your encouraging comments. No need to get embarrassed, it was your review and "Goldie" which actually motivated me to pen down a review for my baby. The work started after your review went live.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 2nd April 2016 at 00:58. Reason: Adhering to the smiley limit :)
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 00:53   #56
BHPian

Quote:

After compiling this review, I have come away with a new found respect for our moderators. This reviewing job is truly tough !!

Regards,
Shashi
Thank You so much. Reading this(yet to complete it) brought back a lot of memories. Its so much better than watching some of the movies coming out these days.

Golden one looks awesome and really well maintained. I bet its stronger than the current gen swift.
anycatd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 22:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Looks like a brand new car from the photos - all due to the love and care showered by you. Most people would have sold of the car nearing 1 lakh kms, but you have kept the car and that too in mint condition. May you have many more miles with goldie!
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2016, 03:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Wow. Looks like a brand new car from the photos - all due to the love and care showered by you.
It also drives like one!! If any one wishes to experience how a brand new 5-Speed drives, book a ticket to Ranchi.

Quote:
Fitness Mantra of 5641

One fine day, I noticed rust due to accumulated mud in the tail-light section. I sanded the rust, applied red-oxide primer, paint, and then covered all stuff in cavity wax. I also got this cavity wax applied professionally by my MASS in all hard to reach and hollow sections like inside of door panels, running board etc. They took 3 long days to properly clean every panel, dry it, and then applied the wax. This wax hardens up and doesn't attract dust when the car is on the move. Added Protection!!

Hello Shashi, I Would like to know more about this cavity wax. My queries-

1. Where and for how much did you purchase it??
2. How to apply?? Kindly elaborate the process.
3. Can we apply it near the cowl area? Won't it cause foul smell inside the cabin??
4. Which all panels in your car have you treated with this?? Also kindly mention the number of cans required for the same.

Sorry for the novice like questions.

Regards,
Sumit
sumitsinha0280 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 17:37   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post

Hello Shashi, I Would like to know more about this cavity wax. My queries-
Kindly find my answers in the below quotes.

Quote:
1. Where and for how much did you purchase it??
I bought the cavity wax from Tolexo.com for approximately Rs. 270 per can. Here is the link for the same- Click to open new tab
Used about 5 cans for the entire application. You may also opt for getting the 1L can for economy and getting it sprayed professionally, but then for hard to reach areas, you will have to use the aerosol can.

Quote:
How to apply?? Kindly elaborate the process.
My MASS stripped off the interiors of the car, except dash, and then comprehensively pressure washed it till all mud and dust accumulated in the cavities like running board etc was washed off. Then it was dried using a pneumatic pressure line and then left to dry under the sun.
Meanwhile, the mechanics took out window glass and regulator mechanism from the doors, and washed the insides using shampoo and water. Since this area was more easily accessible, I could actually see the cleaning results compared to the running board.

It took approximately 2 days for drying everything. Then they applied the cavity wax using the aerosol cans. The panels treated with this wax were
1. Rear quarter panels
2. Rear boot door and all 4 doors.
3. Running board and all running beams underneath
4. All cross members- They had holes for water drainage, that was used to introduce the wax in the cavity

Once the wax is applied, it becomes a disgusting looking and smelling foam. The foam then travels all around(by some kind of tension I guess) and in turn, deposits a layer of wax all around. Once everything dries off, it leaves a non sticky and hard coat of wax on the surface which gives a very light golden appearance to the treated panels. Its barely visible on my car now as the paint itself is also golden.

Quote:
3. Can we apply it near the cowl area? Won't it cause foul smell inside the cabin??
Yes you may apply near the cowl area. It will smell till the time it has not dried. But once it becomes dry and hard, it will be barely noticeable.

Caution - Before attempting to apply this wax, kindly ensure that the panels are clean and completely dry, or it will do more harm than good.

I hope it helps!!

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th April 2016, 08:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

Shashi,

There is one M800 5 speed in red in my locality and it reminds me of your car. Impeccably maintained.

Might come to Ranchi/Jamshedpur next week in a car which is closing rapidly on 120K and does 140+ in 4th with 2 gears to spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It takes a lot of passion, dedication & confidence in yourself along with the car that you own to make this possible. After all, how many times we have heard the classic line "My car is nearing 1 Lac, I need to get rid of it before I start spending on it" only because one is unable to differentiate between Periodic Maintenance costs & costs incurred in replacing the wear & Tear parts. For no specific reason, I have always believed in not just owning the car but driving it and maintaining it if you are driving it so much.
Parag Bhai, while modern cars are reliable, there are too many parts [in diesels] which can go wrong and few people have bitten dust, so they do tend to run away from the car once it enters the 6 figure mark. We have a blue M-800 [in extended family] circa 2007, has done close to 140K and there absolutely has been no issues.

But if someone sticks to periodic maintenance schedule and changes parts which might fail [belts/chain kit] I don't think there would be issues. The only folks who seem to stick with their vehicles despite odo going over 2L kms are Toyota guys.
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks