Team-BHP - The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/173454-love-my-life-2000-maruti-800-dx-5-speed-edit-gets-export-model-features-pg-27-a-9.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4107883)
Awesome Shashi! Your faithful M800 will continue to deliver for years and years for all the care that you have been taking. As Saket mentioned, you couldn't have been more perfect doing things that the car asked and doing it the right way - replacing as per specs and recommendations.

Thanks a lot for your appreciation, means a lot to me.

Quote:

I am particularly interested in the Engine oil (Fully Synthetic) now that you mention the transformation after using it. I cannot do anything but trust each word from you there since you know the car since 3 Lac Kms and only you can tell the difference.

For my WagonR that is now 233,000 Kms, I am afraid to experiment using Synthetic Oil and have been using Shell 5W30 in place of 20W40 and I can easily notice the difference between the two. And with the engine still in mint condition that I notice on every crank and driving, I would be anxious to use fully synthetic oil (without flushing) and try it out.

Sir I won't recommend the flushing part before switching. Primarily because firstly it is known to damage old seals, and second, it won't drain fully, and will keep circulating in the engine with the new oil. All I did was a hard run on the ORR before getting the oil drained.

With respect to the oil, I'd recommend you the new Molygen series of engine oil from Liqui Moly. Have used them on a friend's Swift, and the performance of the engine oil was mind blowing. Here is the link-MolyGen 5w40 .Please avoid 5w30 grade. It is a new introduction in India, and is a much improved product than what we used.

I'd also like to invite BHPian Saket77 to give us his feedback after using Liqui Moly on his Zen. Don't blame me if he sounds exaggerated. :uncontrol

I have no doubt about the engine on your Wagon-R, mainly because it has been babied in the best way possible. Still to be double sure, if you are doubtful about whether you should go with Fully synthetic or not, you can get the compression test done. I was doubtful about my car's engine too, so I did the test before switching to Synthetic. I got 12.8, 13.0 and 13.0 kPa as the cylinder readings IIRC. I also peeked into the cylinder using Endoscope, and found no trace of carbon deposits, so went ahead happily with the fully synthetic engine oil. I agree this endoscope thingy is the craziest thing I have ever done with my car. lol:

Here is the video. Kindly jump directly to 1:00.
https://youtu.be/EQ6P72hQUF8?t=58

Quote:

I also liked the NGK Iridium Plugs that you have installed. Something that I am using on the WagonR too. Stock spec was Champion or NGK (DCPR7E) and from the day I switched to NGK, I have loved its performance - Low revs or higher too.
I got them only because of the awesome feedback you gave about them, and I must say, I am not disappointed.

Quote:

And as usual, I still have been thinking of updating my WagonR thread with recent developments - which undoubtedly have remained positive
Looking forward to the updates.

Regards,
Shashi

Now since you have asked for a guarded secret (I was thinking to update directly on my upcoming thread :D); I would say that using Liqui-moly 5w-40 is one of the best things to happen to my Zen; apart from getting an owner like me :D
The engine now flows like a water, it's just so free revving. It is an investment which has really paid off well.

I am all sold to this oil from now on.

Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4107602)

1. Brake Booster- I needed a proper factory level installation, so I didn’t cut any corners here, as a result of which the upgrade became a bit too expensive. But I have no qualms, since I believe in spending once, and then forgetting it for good.

Congratulations for the neat upgrade! I am sure the booster would have made you super happy.

Your attention to detail puts you at the top. I greatly appreciate the fact that your upgradations and maintenance has no shortcuts. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4107878)
Recently, one of my close friends, Varun, got his alloys powder coated, and I must say, they look smashing.

Wow, Varun's ride looks amazing. Curious as to how did he add the rear wash-wipe, is it a carry over from Zen [the jellybean model]?

Quote:

Very few cars of those days delivered that superb low end response. A different breed of "enthusiasts" that we are!

Precisely the reason that despite wanting to buy a new small car, I am yet to get anything. No cars have that low-end now. Wagon-R makes the most perfect sense for my current usage, but that peaky 3 cylinder has robbed the Wagon-R of its charm [of commuting inside city]

Wah Wah Shashi sahab!

Behram Sir would be eager to see these updates and comment/suggest too. I must be sure he would be viewing your car from the heaven during breaks between lectures on 4x4 etc. :D

I am happy to have a friend who is so dedicated towards his car and goes beyond anything to have things done. Poor SA's stupid: Wish I too got the fortune of having an SA so cooperative or helpful in his job.

Best updates to the thread IMO so far and I am too looking at Liqui Moly for my Swift ZDi. Shall update you soon on how it feels.

Too bad I sold my 5 speed 8 years back. If not this would have been a treasure trove for me.

However I cannot stress how lucky you are to get such a dedicated service crew. Hats off to them as well.

As usual, no shortcuts, no cutting corners, no jugaads, only the perfect way of doing things.
I am damm sure of the fact that 5641 is now much more happy and healthy than it was 3 months back (the last time i drove it).
Yes, the endoscope camera is the craziest thing you have ever done, but i think it is a healthy return investment as now you have got eyes on each and every part of the body shell, be it the running boards, cowl panel, everywhere.
It is very sad that the car had to spent a considerable amount of time in the body shop, but at the end we should be thankful that it was not something major.
Mr. Dheeraj, our saviour, and his team of knowledgeable mechanics also gets delighted to see the car in pink of its health.
It is because of your care for the car since day 1, your habit of achieving perfection, that the car has clocked 2 lakh kms on the stock engine and no spec of carbon on the pistons, and not to forget the mirror finish on original paint.

I am dying to drive this car now after so much of improvements and developments, especially the engine oil, ceratec and GB additive.
Hope to see her soon.
Happy miles. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by baby_antu (Post 4108504)
Congratulations for the neat upgrade! I am sure the booster would have made you super happy.

Your attention to detail puts you at the top. I greatly appreciate the fact that your upgradations and maintenance has no shortcuts. clap:

Thanks Anant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by a4anurag (Post 4108736)
Wah Wah Shashi sahab!

Behram Sir would be eager to see these updates and comment/suggest too. I must be sure he would be viewing your car from the heaven during breaks between lectures on 4x4 etc. :D

I am happy to have a friend who is so dedicated towards his car and goes beyond anything to have things done. Poor SA's stupid: Wish I too got the fortune of having an SA so cooperative or helpful in his job.

Best updates to the thread IMO so far and I am too looking at Liqui Moly for my Swift ZDi. Shall update you soon on how it feels.

Thanks Anurag Bhaiya. My SA is much more enthusiastic than me when it comes to maintaining my ride. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheel (Post 4108605)
Wow, Varun's ride looks amazing. Curious as to how did he add the rear wash-wipe, is it a carry over from Zen [the jellybean model]?

No Sir, the rear wash and wipe setup on his 800 is from the Alto.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shibujp (Post 4111704)
Too bad I sold my 5 speed 8 years back. If not this would have been a treasure trove for me.

However I cannot stress how lucky you are to get such a dedicated service crew. Hats off to them as well.

I am indeed lucky to have such a dedicated team of mechanics and such a caring SA. If not for them, my car in 2012 was in such a bad shape mechanically that we were planning to sell it off. The dealer workshop where we used to visit earlier was misguiding me that no 5 Speed specific spares are available, and its best to sell it. They were no good at diagnosis either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 (Post 4112705)
As usual, no shortcuts, no cutting corners, no jugaads, only the perfect way of doing things.
I am damm sure of the fact that 5641 is now much more happy and healthy than it was 3 months back (the last time i drove it).

Thanks Sumit. Just a correction-You had last driven it in June. :D

Quote:

Yes, the endoscope camera is the craziest thing you have ever done, but i think it is a healthy return investment as now you have got eyes on each and every part of the body shell, be it the running boards, cowl panel, everywhere.
Precisely the reason why I invested in it. The cowl episode happened because that area was away from my reach.

Regards,
Shashi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4107901)
With respect to the oil, I'd recommend you the new Molygen series of engine oil from Liqui Moly. Have used them on a friend's Swift, and the performance of the engine oil was mind blowing. Here is the link-MolyGen 5w40 .Please avoid 5w30 grade. It is a new introduction in India, and is a much improved product than what we used.

I've been following the Liqui Moly brand for a while now. Today its readily available online. Was looking at the Molygen variant. Why did you recommend staying away from 5w30 grade? I've read 5w30 is better than 5w40. Anything specific that you read? We own a Brezza and a WagonR. WagonR is due soon for an oil change, Brezza in early April(First Brezza on team BHP:D).

Anyone tried the MoS2 additive for gearbox? WagonR being over 100k has become a bit rough for gear 1-2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anycatd (Post 4117109)
I've been following the Liqui Moly brand for a while now. Today its readily available online. Was looking at the Molygen variant. Why did you recommend staying away from 5w30 grade?

Which engine is powering your WagonR?? K10B or F10D??

My advice to Parag sir was because he owns the F10D. Below is an image of the engine oil recommendation in the manual.

In my city, maximum ambient temperature is between 20 to 40 degrees centigrade. And anything with a W40 rating fits the bill perfectly. The F10D is nothing but the F8D with an extra cylinder. So I didn't recommend 5w30 for him. Secondly our engines(mine and Parag Sir's) have run more than 2Lac kms, so its best to stick to the recommended grade, and not experiment with the lower viscosity oil.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-engine.jpg

If your's is a K10B powered WagonR, then 5w30 Molygen is the way to go!!

Link to 5W30 Molygen-https://www.landroverlab.com/collect...ation-5w-30-4l

Link to 5w40 Molygen-https://www.landroverlab.com/collect...ation-5w-40-4l

Quote:

Anyone tried the MoS2 additive for gearbox? WagonR being over 100k has become a bit rough for gear 1-2.
Yes Sir, I have used that product, as I have mentioned in the previous page. It has made my 800's gear shifts incredibly smooth, and it is as good as a cable operated one(speaking without any exaggeration).
The only downside I can say is that Molybdenum Disulphide based additive makes the colour of the gearoil black. So newbie mechanics who go only by color may recommend you a change. lol:

Regards,
Shashi

Leoshashi clap:, My eyes are wet after going through your LTR. Itni khushi aajtak kabhi nahi hui. I would request mods to please take cognizance of this wonderful LTR and inform the folks at MSIL so that our 5641 is registered in the history books of Maruti with golden letters.
My dad owns a 2008 model M800 and despite my repeated cajoling for upgradation, he says M800 rocks for the roads of Sitamarhi (Bihar).
You are a legend brother!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoshashi (Post 4117119)
Which engine is powering your WagonR?? K10B or F10D??

Yes Sir, I have used that product, as I have mentioned in the previous page. It has made my 800's gear shifts incredibly smooth, and it is as good as a cable operated one(speaking without any exaggeration).
The only downside I can say is that Molybdenum Disulphide based additive makes the colour of the gearoil black. So newbie mechanics who go only by color may recommend you a change. lol:

Regards,
Shashi

Ours is a F10D and yeah its the 800's engine with an extra cylinder. 110k on ODO. Was thinking of rejuvenating the car. Manual says 3.7 litres of engine oil is required. Is there a semi synthetic option from Liqui moly, 10w-40 variant seems to be available for around 1.5k, should I try that ? Have you read about MoS2 forming clumps and clogging the engine and oil filter? I remember reading something like this, so was a bit hesitant to risk it.

I'll try the gear oil additive next then. Hopefully will smoothen the gear changes. How long does the effect last?

I've already put the injector cleaner today. About 3/4th can for a full tank. Give me some idea on what how to make sure it will do it job. Should I wait for the fuel tank to be almost empty before refilling?

Your Steering wheel cover seems similar to our brezza. Its a bit slippery, did you feel the same? I've already invested about a 1000 rupees into it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anycatd (Post 4117155)
Ours is a F10D and yeah its the 800's engine with an extra cylinder. 110k on ODO. Was thinking of rejuvenating the car. Manual says 3.7 litres of engine oil is required. Is there a semi synthetic option from Liqui moly, 10w-40 variant seems to be available for around 1.5k, should I try that ? Have you read about MoS2 forming clumps and clogging the engine and oil filter? I remember reading something like this, so was a bit hesitant to risk it.

Sir you'll be the best person to comment on whether you should go for fully synthetic or not. It's a bit tricky with old cars, and I took these things into account before going with the fully synthetic
1. Carbon content of the engine
2. Compression of the engine

Carbon content inside the engine is sometimes beneficial in holding up the compression. Since synthetic oils have cleansing detergents in them, they might remove the carbon causing the compression to drop. So I made sure that my engine is free of carbon by putting an endoscope camera inside the engine. lol:

One must also be ready for leaks surfacing after changing to synthetic oils, specially in older cars. While it will be entirely wrong to blame the synthetic oil for damaging the seals, what happens is that thicker mineral oil doesn't come out of small cracks and imperfections in the seals, but the synthetic oil's molecules being finer and a lot more symmetrical finds its way through minor imperfection.

For example, in my 800, there was a very minor leak from the crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel. The leak was so minor that the joint between the engine and gearbox used to get wet after a year's usage. No oil drops on floor or anywhere else. This leak was in my car since 2011. Since it didn't pose any threat, I had left it as it is.
After changing to Liqui Moly fully synthetic, things remained the way it was till now until I went on a non stop 600km trip recently. After we came back from the trip and the car was parked, we noticed a drop on the floor after two days. Now since the case had worsened from "just wet" to "a drop on the floor", I got the oil seal replaced a few days ago. :)

If you wish to be safe, go the semi-synthetic way first IMO.

Regarding MoS2 in engine oil, I guess none of the Liqui Moly Engine oils in India have MoS2 content. Please correct me if I am wrong. At least I couldn't find them on the data sheet of the engine oils available in India.

Quote:

I 'll try the gear oil additive next then. Hopefully will smoothen the gear changes. How long does the effect last?

I have used the gear oil additive for about 2000kms, so can't really comment about the duration of effectiveness. As of now, it's buttery smooth.

Quote:

I've already put the injector cleaner today. About 3/4th can for a full tank. Give me some idea on what how to make sure it will do it job. Should I wait for the fuel tank to be almost empty before refilling?

When the fuel went to about 25%, that's when I added the Fuel injector cleaner and tanked up till full. Reason behind doing this is that the cleaner gets properly agitated and mixed up.
I could see its effectiveness when the fuel injector was opened during booster install. You may find the throttle response to improve and some soot might come out of the tailpipe(not compulsory).

Quote:

Your Steering wheel cover seems similar to our brezza. Its a bit slippery, did you feel the same? I've already invested about a 1000 rupees into it.
It is the one from MGA and costs 510 rupees. You must have seen that the steering wheel rim on the M800 is very thin, and the cover was a loose fit on it. What I did was I asked them to install a 2nd cover(same) on top of the 1st one tightly, so now I have a chunky steering wheel. I never found it to be slippery.

Regards,
Shashi

I wish to see and get a drive on probably India's best 5 speed 800 soon. And also the tidbits we discussed on whatsapp, can't wait to see it. Get the goldie to Delhi, if you, please...

Quote:

I am particularly interested in the Engine oil (Fully Synthetic) now that you mention the transformation after using it. I cannot do anything but trust each word from you there since you know the car since 3 Lac Kms and only you can tell the difference.

Dear Parag Sir,

Quoting you, since it was my duty to keep you and other visitors of my thread informed with every single development, post shifting to Fully synthetic engine oil.

This is what happened a few days ago-
Quote:

One must also be ready for leaks surfacing after changing to synthetic oils, specially in older cars. While it will be entirely wrong to blame the synthetic oil for damaging the seals, what happens is that thicker mineral oil doesn't come out of small cracks and imperfections in the seals, but the synthetic oil's molecules being finer and a lot more symmetrical finds its way through minor imperfection.

For example, in my 800, there was a very minor leak from the crankshaft oil seal behind the flywheel. The leak was so minor that the joint between the engine and gearbox used to get wet after a year's usage. No oil drops on floor or anywhere else. This leak was in my car since 2011. Since it didn't pose any threat, I had left it as it is.
After changing to Liqui Moly fully synthetic, things remained the way it was till now until I went on a non stop 600km trip recently. After we came back from the trip and the car was parked, we noticed a drop on the floor after two days. Now since the case had worsened from "just wet" to "a drop on the floor", I got the oil seal replaced a few days ago.
I got the leak rectified, and it involved changing an oil seal behind the flywheel.

Wet Engine Member
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-wet-engine-member.jpg
Location of the seal
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-capture.jpg
Driveshaft comes out
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-ds-pout.jpg
SA Mr.Dhiraj paying personal attention
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-personal-1.jpg
No Gearbox :D
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-no-gb.jpg
Clutch assembly and Flywheel comes out
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20161221_152513.jpg
Mr.Dhiraj measured the run out of the flywheel, and also cleaned it carefully
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20161221_152810.jpg
While waiting for the spare parts division to take out the new spares, mechanic thoroughly cleans the gearbox.
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-gb-clean.jpg
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-gb-clean-2.jpg
Parts changed were-
1. Oil seal
2. Oil seal near driveshaft
3. Clutch cable
4. Clutch release bearing
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20161221_152758.jpg

Mr. Dhiraj also inspected the Clutch and Pressure plates and declared them fit for use. I had given him open hand in changing whatever he feels is faulty.

I have driven approximately 500kms after the oil seal change, and am glad to report that there is no leak now. Another interesting thing which I learnt was that the clutch and most of the gearbox components are common and shared between 5 Speed 800, Old Zen, WagonR(F series), Estilo(F Series) and Maruti 1000. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidindica (Post 4119598)
I wish to see and get a drive on probably India's best 5 speed 800 soon. And also the tidbits we discussed on whatsapp, can't wait to see it. Get the goldie to Delhi, if you, please...

Definitely!!

Regards,
Shashi