Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2016, 22:34   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Fantastic review of a superb car! Man, you've stirred so much nostalgia in me that for the past half an hour I was thinking of my M800! And i can't believe it is 16 years old! Take good care of her. Wish you many more miles.

For your information, I owned a used M800 from 1989 till 2001. Mine was a 39.5 bhp model of Aug 1986 make (new shape, but with Suzuki engine and Jap parts like Nippon Denso condenser). I still have fond memories of that car.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2016, 23:05   #32
BHPian

re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

The way your M800 is maintained truly deserves a ton of appreciation. I was awestruck looking at the pictures of the engine bay and the body shell itself. It was hard to believe that the pictures were from recent times until I noticed the Goodyear tyres in one of the pictures.
I too have a M800. It is a '95 model which has barely seen big miles - odo stands at 60k km now. Though it is in a pretty good shape for the age, seeing your immaculately maintained car I am now inspired to bring my 800 to its original glory. Thank you for the wonderful write, it was a joy to read.
saishivaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 11:35   #33
BHPian

Wow; for your encyclopediac knowledge of 800 and immaculate condition of your car. I have bought a 16 year old 5 speed dx and I have found a new respect for this car from your review.

I could relate to most of the things you noted about the car, it's a fuss free car for fuss free ownership, excellent mileage (although I have attained max of 26kmpl and never been able to touch 29). Mine has travelled 62000 and from the condition I can say that, it can easily go for another 16 years if taken care of. Japs surely know how to make reliable cars.
amit_snk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 13:35   #34
BHPian

Great review Leoshashi and thanks for sharing it with us!
The Golden Goose looks just out of the showroom and not like a 16 year old car.
The way you maintained it shows your love for it. The 800 has lived up to its name of being The people's car.
Tojo_GotBhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2016, 16:11   #35
BHPian

What an amazing story sir - not only do you take good care of your car, you are also a fantastic narrator of how well you've taken care of your car. Loved every line and sentence of your thread.

In an era where we change cars every 3-5 years, it's wonderful to see someone treasure it for close to two decades. While am not a Maruti fan, I have fond memories of the M800 - my cousins owned a M800 (90's model) with a button on the bonnet that released the bonnet. I also learnt this wonderful art of driving on an M800 at a driving school in Mumbai. So in a way am indebted to this beauty.

I sincerely hope to see your ownership thread on this golden goose another decade from now, when this one will be up there amongst vintage models of yore.
BattleTank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 13:33   #36
BHPian

Very well written and crisp review. Having seen this car in flesh, I can vouch for the fact that this car not only looks straight out of the showroom, but also drives like one.
The way Shashi has maintained this car is just remarkable and inspirational. The moment you switch on the ignition, you will realize that it's a different breed; "Its a 5 speed".

This car can easily bring any brand new car in showroom to shame with it's condition. The lustre on the paint, the freshness inside the cabin, the rattle free body, the squeaky clean engine bay-
All put together, it's his untiring effort coupled with his immense love towards this car that has kept it in this condition.

One thing which I love the most in his car is the cruise at 60-65 kmph in 5th gear. The joy of such a remarkably silent cabin and relaxed engine can't be described by words.

Wish you many happy miles 5641, and all the best Shashi to maintain it in such a great condition. You and your car are an inspiration for me buddy.
sumitsinha0280 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 16:25   #37
BHPian

Excellent review! Made my day!
We owned our M800 for 17 yrs new from 1991 up until 2008. After more than 200k kms and numerous tin-painting work we had to sell it for scrap! I still remember the day when dad told me it had to be done ! I wasn't even born when the car was bought from KA and i still had an attachment to it !!
You have truly maintained the car impeccably.
Wish you many more miles !!!
hrbheda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2016, 20:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I'll make a trip to Ranchi so that I can drive yours.
You are most welcome, bhaiya!!

Quote:
PS: The MGP store fellow would be thinking what a mad guy who is still ordering "Maruti" logo/sticker on Hindi for the steering wheel.

Hats off buddy.
That Maruti emblem for the steering wheel is pretty normal stuff. He got the shock of his life when I approached him with the requirement for plastics (dust cover) which are inside door pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
First thing first. Thats a 5 star report you have penned in, close to the level of official reviews I must say.
Second-The way you kept the golden goose, just shows the passion you have to take care of your machine. It just looks refreshingly timeless, time after time.

We keep talking daily, and enjoy your expertise in keeping this car in good upkeep. Its in the right hands, and deserves to be.

Cheers and keep the goose revving.
Thanks Sid. Your comment means a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Just wow. Its a really well kept car!
And also thank you for the specs of 800 5speed, I was looking for those.
Please never sell the car what so ever!
I am glad the specs helped you.
I will never sell it, at least not till the day I am alive.
Quote:
I too got a 00' 5speed one last year!
It's been a great time with mine even in a city like Mumbai.
And the maintenance per annum is equal to the payments of 3 Uber rides.
Infact your report reassured me not to sell the car even when the cash for clunkers scheme kicks in.
And the autocar report is very much right tested mine till speedo showed the same, it was pretty planted at that speed.
Your car looks clean, a little bit of TLC and it will be as good as new. Kindly never take your 800 beyond 100kmph, it simply not safe despite its capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Fantastic review of a superb car! Man, you've stirred so much nostalgia in me that for the past half an hour I was thinking of my M800! And i can't believe it is 16 years old! Take good care of her. Wish you many more miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
The way your M800 is maintained truly deserves a ton of appreciation. I was awestruck looking at the pictures of the engine bay and the body shell itself.
Thank you for the wonderful write, it was a joy to read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_snk View Post
Wow; for your encyclopediac knowledge of 800 and immaculate condition of your car. I have bought a 16 year old 5 speed dx and I have found a new respect for this car from your review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo_GotBhp View Post
Great review Leoshashi and thanks for sharing it with us!
The Golden Goose looks just out of the showroom and not like a 16 year old car.
The way you maintained it shows your love for it. The 800 has lived up to its name of being The people's car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
What an amazing story sir - not only do you take good care of your car, you are also a fantastic narrator of how well you've taken care of your car. Loved every line and sentence of your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbheda View Post
Excellent review! Made my day!
We owned our M800 for 17 yrs new from 1991 up until 2008. After more than 200k kms and numerous tin-painting work we had to sell it for scrap! I still remember the day when dad told me it had to be done ! I wasn't even born when the car was bought from KA and i still had an attachment to it !!
You have truly maintained the car impeccably.
Wish you many more miles !!!
Thanks gentlemen for your kind comments and wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitsinha0280 View Post
Very well written and crisp review. Having seen this car in flesh, I can vouch for the fact that this car not only looks straight out of the showroom, but also drives like one.
Thanks for the encouraging comments Sumit.

UPDATE

1. Seat Covers-I got new leatherette seat covers for my 800 from Autofurnish. Ordered them on Flipkart and the entire customization work was handled to my satisfaction. The seat covers needed customisation for the split seats and larger headrests, and I am glad everything was done professionally by Autofurnish. All they asked me was the chassis number of the vehicle, and pictures of the stock seats. It took about 9 days for the seat cover to arrive.

Fit and finish is good. Flipkart also offered me the installation service. The installation guys did push me for semi-bucket seats, but the way they were ripping off the seats and handling other cars, I couldn't see the same thing happening to my car.

Hence, I went the DIY way, well almost, and with the help of a known mechanic, installed it to my satisfaction.
Front Seats
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20160328_180123.jpg
Rear Seat
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20160328_180116.jpg

2. Day/Night IRVM- People who need this immensely useful addition may order this part. It came with Zen VXI/Export Model M800 and is a direct fit.
Night Journeys just became way more comfortable.
IRVM
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20160326_203352.jpg
Part Number
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20160327_022715.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 28th March 2016 at 20:52.
Leoshashi is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 03:44   #39
BHPian

Wow. Mind blowing. I just cannot comprehend the fact that there are people in this world who keep on doing such things for so long. I too own a Maruti 800 DX but 1995 Carb TK. My ownership report and experience is quite opposite to yours. It is documented here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...uti-800-a.html

When I say opposite, I mean that it must be your definition of hell. Our car is rarely clean and neat and rarely serviced and nothing is changed unless the part fails and no detailing, polishing or waxing has been done till date. But our running is very low, in fact, we did not finish a lakh even in 20 years. And I am proud in telling that the car still runs smooth and good. I was actually surprised when my father bought home Hyundai Getz second hand flood damaged and after repairing that, we had our first trip and I was already missing M800. M800 felt like a cat running whereas Getz felt like I was chasing the cat on a cycle. Cat is more agile and gains speed better than a cycle although in terms of sheer speed, the getz can outrun the maruti (I own a 4 speed GB)

I agree a few things with you. I too have got close to 27 kmpl on Premium petrol. It was on an early morning with full AC on cruising mostly at constant speed of 70 with four heavyweights on board after I did a bit of ignition timing adjustment. (I am a mechanical engineer and I know my cars. Even the getz we bought was flood damaged and I repaired it myself. It is documented here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/173955-buying-restoring-chennai-flood-damaged-hyundai-getz.html

I initially did not believe and thought to myself that I did a miscalculation somewhere. My father still does not believe the figure and laughs telling me that my methods are not that accurate. Yes, I don't use tank full method because we barely go full tank due to the weight added. I have learnt to accurately use the fuel guage. When the ignition is ON, it shows a reading. But after you start the vehicle and run it a bit, the needle rises 2mm. And I use that as reference and feel it is pretty accurate all the time.

But even that is quite an achievement because my car is carburetted one and so there is not so precise metering of fuel. Modern cars with their complicated and resource hungry electrics cannot match the FE of the M800.

My love for the car is so much that we just bought the getz home this night 29th march and dad already has plans for selling the M800 off. But I claimed ownership of it and told him to leave me alone with the car so that I can first give the car a full service. Alas, mechanics in warangal are not as good as what you have got there. And being a mechanical engineer, it feels satisfying to do something with your own hands and feel proud at the end of the day when everything works perfectly as intended. So, first I would be servicing the car thoroughly in a few weeks hopefully. It will all be DIY and posted on the forum. Then, it would be respraying and good anti-corrosion treatment. I am on a mission to restore it to it's former glory and without doubt, my inspiration is your car and the level of perfection there is in the maintenance of your car.
aveemashfaq is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 16:55   #40
BHPian

I love those seat covers. Subtle and classy.
They did bring a new lease of life into the old girl.

Cheers!
vamsi2390 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 17:31   #41
BHPian

After reading the long term ownership review there are just two words that I could think of - Dedication and Respect!
It takes hell lot of dedication day in and day out to maintain your car immaculately even after 16 years of ownership and this makes you get respect that you deserve.

Also, I love the fact that you have traveled so extensively in this car. Take care and maintain it the way you always have!
Kudos to you and your spirit!
YoungSaint is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 17:53   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
UPDATE

1. Seat Covers-I got new leatherette seat covers for my 800 from Autofurnish.
They just enhanced the looks of the interiors. How long does the old ones lasted?

Quote:
2. Day/Night IRVM- People who need this immensely useful addition may order this part. It came with Zen VXI/Export Model M800 and is a direct fit.
Thanks for the part number. I was searching for this from a very long period of time.

Best Regards,
Anant Gupta
baby_antu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 20:31   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi2390 View Post
I love those seat covers. Subtle and classy.
They did bring a new lease of life into the old girl.

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSaint View Post
After reading the long term ownership review there are just two words that I could think of - Dedication and Respect!
It takes hell lot of dedication day in and day out to maintain your car immaculately even after 16 years of ownership and this makes you get respect that you deserve.

Also, I love the fact that you have traveled so extensively in this car. Take care and maintain it the way you always have!
Kudos to you and your spirit!
Thanks for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_antu View Post
They just enhanced the looks of the interiors. How long does the old ones lasted?
The ones which are visible on the first page of this thread are almost 16 years old. But they have only been used when I switch between one seat cover to the other. This autofurnish one is the 4th set on my car.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 23:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Day/Night IRVM-[/b] People who need this immensely useful addition may order this part. It came with Zen VXI/Export Model M800 and is a direct fit.
IRVM
Attachment 1491277
Part Number
Attachment 1491278
Hello Shashi Sir!
It's great to see your car in such a pristine condition. Let's plan a meet when I am at Ranchi. I would love to see your car and meet fellow BHPians from our place.

I am proud that you and your efforts have emerged as an example of brilliance on the forum. Hats off!

Can I replace the stock IRVM with this one on my pre-facelift Alto too? Would it be a direct fit ?

Thanks
Regards
Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2016, 23:46   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Hello Shashi Sir!
First of all bro, please don't "Sir" me. I have just completed my under-graduation.

Quote:
It's great to see your car in such a pristine condition. Let's plan a meet when I am at Ranchi. I would love to see your car and meet fellow BHPians from our place.
Would surely love to meet you. Drop me a PM when you are at Ranchi.

Quote:
Can I replace the stock IRVM with this one on my pre-facelift Alto too? Would it be a direct fit ?
This part won't fit in your Alto. But don't worry, I do have a similar solution for you. Old Waggy's D/N mirror is a direct fit in Altos. Had recently helped Anurag Bhaiya[aka D-BHPian a4anurag ]to get those.

Kindly go through the link for other details-http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3882289

This part isn't readily available at MASS or MGP stores, so in case you have any difficulty in procuring them, do let me know. I'll be more than happy to get it for you, since the MGP store owner of my city is well known to me.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed