Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 03:17   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Offlate, I was getting some PMs and emails regarding the experience with Synthetic oil in my 800. Hence decided to do a mini review of all the different products I had used.

I have driven close to 9,000kms after the oil change in the last 7 months, and here is what I have to say:

1. Liqui Moly 5W40 Synthetic oil: Definitely recommended, and is one of the best investment so far. The differences which I can think of are:

-The engine is remarkably smoother, and much more free revving. This is something which many people who have driven the car, have said. Apart from the minor leak from the crankcase oil seal, there has been absolutely no issue with the oil.

-The mileage seems to have considerably improved, and it feels much lighter to accelerate. Earlier, I used to get approx 16-18kmpl in the city, and 20-22kmpl on the highways, with AC on. Now a days, even city mileage is above 22kmpl, and mileage on well paved highways easily exceeds 25-26kmpl with AC. Even I am amazed by these figures, but that's what I have been getting. I am planning to do a mileage run with DBHPian Saket77 by my side, just to ensure that I don't make a mistake in calculation.

-Cold starts have become effortless. Earlier I used to crank a bit more( say an additional second) to get it started, but now, there is absolutely no difference between cold start or starting when engine is warmed up. I noticed this difference even in the winters.

One query for the experts: Even after doing approximately 9,000 kms, the oil hardly has lost its color or thickness. Feels as good as a new oil. Should I get it changed at 10,000kms, or should I wait for the color/texture/viscosity to change??

2. Liqui Moly gearoil additive: Now this additive is god send for me-The gearshifts have become magical. The phrase hot knife cutting through butter is used to describe slick shifting gearboxes, I can now feel that in my 800. Puts a smile on my face everytime I shift a cog. I ain't exaggerating when I say this, it's so good that shift quality of the New Baleno felt a bit notchy to me.

The manufacturer doesn't recommend any concentration, but I felt that one tube(20g)/Litre of gearoil works best.

3. NGK Iridium Plugs: The only difference which I felt in my car was that lower end felt a bit more responsive, specially with the AC on. The hesitation is no longer there. Just to be double sure, I checked it with normal plugs, and the difference was evident.
To be honest, spending Rs. 2100 for this tiny gain seems a bit too much, but as far as I'm concerned, I ain't complaining.

Signing off with some pictures of the recently detailed Golden Goose.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170515_132146.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170518_170044.jpg

Thanks for reading!!

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 22nd May 2017 at 03:27.
Leoshashi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 09:38   #227
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Hello Shashi,

It's always informative to read your take on such products. I have used only the first one and definitely its a worthy investment to make (coming from a finance guy!!). The engine definitely runs smoother and revs more freely under the regime of this engine oil.

And you are most welcome to do the test as I would also be interested in the same.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:45   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

And regarding the query on changing the engine oil (sorry, I missed your question) I think you should wait for another 1-2K kms before taking a final call. In the meanwhile, keep an eye on the quality of engine oil by checking it routinely.
These oils survive for 15K kms on many heavy duty engines, which are more taxing on the oil. Hence, the oil may run for a little longer than what you expected.

Regards,
Saket.

(Moderators may please merge back to back posts)
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:47   #229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
One query for the experts: Even after doing approximately 9,000 kms, the oil hardly has lost its color or thickness. Feels as good as a new oil. Should I get it changed at 10,000kms, or should I wait for the color/texture/viscosity to change??
Change it at the intervals recommended by Maruti. Synthetics don't degrade as much as minerals at the 10K km mark and some users are known to drag them on for 15-25K kms. Don't do this though. Since you love GG so much just adhere to manufacturer intervals to be on the safe side.

Quote:
2. Liqui Moly gearoil additiveNow this additive is god send for me-The gearshifts have become magical. The phrase hot knife cutting through butter is used to describe slick shifting gearboxes, I can now feel that in my 800. Puts a smile on my face everytime I shift a cog. I ain't exaggerating when I say this, it's so good that shift quality of the New Baleno felt a bit notchy to me.
Newer cars' gear shifters do feel notchy when the levers, rods or cables settle in. Try a M800 of similar age and you will note the difference immediately.

That said, I am sure the additive would have made a difference. I will consider this product some day if I change my car's GB oil. I am also considering synthetic GB oil. Thing many trannys come with factory lube that is a "lifetime" fill and replacement isn't necessary. So any tranny oil replacement will be a sheer indulgence and to pamper my car.

Quote:
3. NGK Iridium Plugs: The only difference which I felt in my car was that lower end felt a bit more responsive, specially with the AC on. The hesitation is no longer there
I can vouch for a difference (albeit minor) in engine response, stability at idle speed, and the 'firing' when one changes over to Ir plugs. My car came with standard copper conductor spark plugs and I changed them to Ir when she had done only about 3-4K kms. They're good for 100K kms. The SA was quite astonished. BTW I tried both NGK and Denso and found the latter suits my car better.

Quote:
Signing off with some pictures of the recently detailed Golden Goose.
Always a treat to see your car.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:31   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Always a treat to see your car.
Thanks for showering your love on my baby.

Quote:
Change it at the intervals recommended by Maruti. Synthetics don't degrade as much as minerals at the 10K km mark and some users are known to drag them on for 15-25K kms. Don't do this though. Since you love GG so much just adhere to manufacturer intervals to be on the safe side.
Sure.
This is what I am being told by all BHPians, and will change it at 10k kms.

Quote:
Newer cars' gear shifters do feel notchy when the levers, rods or cables settle in. Try a M800 of similar age and you will note the difference immediately.
It's miles better than other 800s of similar vintage. Absolutely no comparison there.

Quote:
That said, I am sure the additive would have made a difference. I will consider this product some day if I change my car's GB oil. I am also considering synthetic GB oil. Thing many trannys come with factory lube that is a "lifetime" fill and replacement isn't necessary. So any tranny oil replacement will be a sheer indulgence and to pamper my car.
This gearoil additive is something which I can blindly recommend to anyone. I have posted a picture of the oil, its black because of the additive which itself is black due to MoS2. Lubrication is top notch though.

I have also planned to get fully synthetic gearoil for my car next time. Motul and Liqui Moly are the two brands which are easily available on Amazon.

Quote:
They're good for 100K kms.
Sure thing sir.

Yesterday I noticed some minor black grease splash on the lower part of the engine bay. Since I regularly monitor my car, I immediately noticed that the driveshaft axle boot has a fresh cut. Without any procrastination, I got it fixed today.

Pictures:

Wheels removed
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_100939.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_101448.jpg
Driveshaft removed
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_111319.jpg
17 year old axle boot vs new
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_111945.jpg
Part Number
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_112004.jpg
CV joint was inspected and declared healthy. Luckily no sand particles managed to get into the grease when it was torn
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_112352.jpg
Gearoil, it looks black because of MoS2 additive.
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_115140.jpg
Fresh shiny new boot
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170523_124236.jpg

Work done was in an hour, total cost including labour=Rs. 413/-

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:05   #231
BHPian

Quick question Shashi - My Baleno Zeta CVT is due for 10K service next week. Which engine oil do you recommend?
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:12   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Quick question Shashi - My Baleno Zeta CVT is due for 10K service next week. Which engine oil do you recommend?
While the car is still under warranty, I would not risk getting my own oil (even If grade matched to that which is recommended in the manual). This is because I would not want to see a remark added in their system (and my bill) that says "customer got own oil" and with no proof on what es the quantity of oil that was changed or the type of oil.

With many stories (even with Maruti) where ASC's try everything to wash their hands off to sort serious issues, I will be careful. Would advise the same to you as well.

Carry out all experiments after the Extended warranty expires.
paragsachania is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:13   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
Sir, stick to the manufacturer recommended oil brand and grade as long as you are in warranty. Simply put: whatever is provided at MASS. Once the warranty is over, there are better oils which we can contemplate.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 23rd May 2017 at 18:14.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 22:28   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

I never realized that slowly and steadily, the Golden Goose was winning hearts across the country. She has found admirers from all over the country, and one from UK!! But I never knew that one person was trying so hard to contact me, ever since my thread went live. Amidst all the failures to contact me, he realized his old love for his family's first 800, a 2004 Maruti 800 AC, and decided to restore to make it as good as new. I am glad my thread influenced him, and hopefully many others to take care of the car which is fondly known to put India on wheels.

Meet Mr. Harsh Macwan's Bronze Mist beauty. He is a Gujarat based businessman, who despite having beasts like the BMW 535d in his garage, still loves driving around in his 800.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-1.jpg

She has fresh new paint, along with many upgrades which Mr. Harsh has been undertaking. He diligently follows my thread, and I was pleasantly surprised to see such a superbly maintained car, from across the country. Her restoration started last year, and he has spent more than 80k on making this 800 one of the best in India.

What startled me was that he followed everything which I did for my Goose, and then some more.
  • Genuine 5 Speed Booster with SGP Vacuum Hose
  • Liqui Moly Fully Synthetic Engine oil
  • Fully Synthetic Gearoil, along with the additive. In his own words, the change in lubes and specially this additive has made noticeable difference in the way his engine behaves.
  • He is also a fan of SGPs, and seeing my penchant, he too swapped his functioning relay with brand new Made in Japan ones.
  • I had mentioned about how good the IJls are. So he too got IJL headlamps, along with Philips XtremeVision bulbs
  • Since he couldn't find Zen's D/N mirror, he got himself one from Swift Dzire.
  • He is also going for the insulation upgrades which I did.
  • He also loves to flaunt a clean engine bay.

I am running out of words to appreciate his efforts. Thanks a lot Sir for all your love and trust on me. I am glad that you found all my upgrades and little touches helpful.

Some more pictures:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-2.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-3.jpg

Attachment 1642931

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-4.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-5.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-dsc_2428.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-dsc_2429.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-dsc_2456.jpg

The Goose is happy to get a new mate.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-6.jpg

Looking forward to meet you, Sir.

Regards,
Shashi
Attached Thumbnails
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-dsc_2426.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 5th July 2017 at 09:53. Reason: Masking number plates
Leoshashi is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 10:59   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

So the Goose got a sibling. Great work by the gentleman from GJ.

I just love reading threads where owners maintain their cars so beautifully. You guys are an inspiration. One of my favourite threads on TBHP is:

Right here

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th May 2017 at 11:01.
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 02:07   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Got some Torque Charts for Maruti 800, should help a lot during my DIY maintenance.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170604_003241.jpg

Part No: 99519M00010-74E
Part Name: CHART SET CAR 800
Price: Rs. 124

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 08:18   #237
Senior - BHPian

Man you are making me wish I had never sold my 800 which I had for 17 years. Both these Maruti's are so beautifully maintained it shows the care and time which has gone into keeping them maintained.

I would suggest you if possible add a good set of pretty wheels on your car as it does make the car standout. If it's ok I am posting a old pic of my 800 with alloy wheels.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-m800-copy.jpg

That's my oldie in white. Sadly I no longer have her.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 16:10   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I would suggest you if possible add a good set of pretty wheels on your car as it does make the car standout.
Thanks for the kind comments. I'd love to have a nice set of alloys, but the downside of owning a discontinued entry level car is that no alloy design is available specifically for your car(maybe manufacturers think these cars owners will never go for an alloy ). Either you get cheap unbranded alloys, or if you go for reputed makers like Plati or NeoWheels, you'll get multi PCD alloys with numerous holes(compatible both for Alto & Zen), both of which I hate.

I remember till 2014, Plati and Neo wheels had some excellent designs for the M800. Not now!!

Forget the alloys, if you want good rubber like Michelin in stock size, you won't get it. Michelin discontinued 145/70R12 last year. Of course I don't blame them because its demand was poor as everyone went with the cheap MRFs and Ceats and JKs.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Your white 800 was a beauty.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 17:46   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Forget the alloys, if you want good rubber like Michelin in stock size, you won't get it. Michelin discontinued 145/70R12 last year. Of course I don't blame them because its demand was poor as everyone went with the cheap MRFs and Ceats and JKs.
Regards,
Shashi
Sadly this is true. I once went hunting shop to shop for a pair of wipers for my 800 and none of the shops had one meant for the Maruti. Finally I had tosettle for wipers which were used (as told to me by the shop keeper) by a Tata's mini Tempo vehicle (name which I can't remember) which also fitted the 800. And this was around 2010-2011 I can only imagine the condition now.On the other hand you can always upsize the wheels but this might come at the cost of tires scraping the body etc.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2017, 18:21   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Sadly this is true. I once went hunting shop to shop for a pair of wipers for my 800 and none of the shops had one meant for the Maruti. Finally I had tosettle for wipers which were used (as told to me by the shop keeper) by a Tata's mini Tempo vehicle (name which I can't remember) which also fitted the 800. And this was around 2010-2011 I can only imagine the condition now
True!! Proper aftermarket upgrades for the 800 are next to zilch. However the support and spares from Maruti is excellent even for such an old and rare car. No complains there.

Quote:
.On the other hand you can always upsize the wheels but this might come at the cost of tires scraping the body etc.
I did think about it, and was willing to get Zen Carbon's 13 inch alloys. But those alloys were made by Aura wheels, and the company itself has shut shop.

Plus upsizing also puts useless stress on the suspension and steering components, so I decided to stick to the stock size. I may consider going with 155/65R12 tyres(Nano's rear wheel size) once the current GoodYears wear off. But given that Nano is also a sort of failure(compared to the likes of Alto), no Michelins or Yokos are available in that size.

Have been hearing good things about the recently launched FireStone brand(sister company of Bridgestone). Lets see how things pan out.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks