Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2018, 06:31   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Update: Just a day before Diwali, I noticed a funny sound coming from the engine bay while priming the fuel pump. Initially I thought it was a rat stuck somewhere.

Forwarded this video to Dhiraj and he was quick to point out that it was from the Fuel Pressure regulator. I tried cleaning it, but it was a futile attempt. I had to leave in two days, so there wasn't much time to waste. Visited my MASS, and while they didn't have the part for the 5S 800 in stock, they tried to check using Alto's regulator which they had in stock. The noise was fixed, but I wasn't happy with the way the fuel and vacuum hoses were making a tight turn.

Testing using Alto's regulator, wasn't happy with the tight turns the hoses were making.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181107_092917.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181107_093057.jpg

I asked them to refix the old regulator, placed an order for the spare, and left.

Meanwhile, I requested BHPians like ChiranjitP, Tacho9000 etc to check their respective cities when they get time. The situation was alarming. There were a couple of regulators lying in North East and one at Bokaro. Just 3 physically verified stocks in the whole of India. This thing fails so rarely in 5 Speeds, that my MASS had never even stocked it.

These parts fail regularly in cars like Omni and Alto which use localised parts, but in my car, it was Made by Mikuni Japan, and I am not surprised by the lack of demand.

I pinged BHPian BlowHornOK aka Giri from Bokaro, if he can help. He picked up the spare the same day, and also shipped it immediately. Thanks a lot. He sent it by Bus, and it was collected by our driver after 4 hours. The MGP store of his city also got rid of a dead stock from 2005. A win win for everyone! Regarding the order placed with Maruti, it has gone in back order, so even Maruti doesn't stock it. It will take its own sweet time to come.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181119_185930.jpg

Stock of 2005

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181119_190046.jpg

The shiny new regulator

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181119_190117.jpg

Since I wasn't in town, dad himself installed it the next day. Given the perfectionist he is, it took him 2 hours to do the entire job, something which is done by MASS in hardly 15 minutes. He took care to do it the right way, used threadlocker, torque wrench etc.

The process was fairly simple.

1. Relieve the fuel pressure. One easy way of doing it is by removing the fuel pump relay. The engine eventually runs out of fuel and dies. Disconnect the negative terminal.

2. Remove the airfilter hose to gain access to the regulator.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181120_075055.jpg

3. Remove two 10mm bolts, and keep a rag handy. Some fuel drips out.

4. Remove the fuel and the vacuum line from the regulator.

While installing back, its recommended to apply a bit of grease on the O Ring of the regulator. Dad also used brand new fasteners with a drop of threadlocker, spread evenly along the threads.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181120_081027.jpg

5. Tighten the two bolts to 12Nm torque. Take care not to overtighten it, as the fuel rail is made of aluminium and its easy to destroy its threads.

6. Connect the two hoses(fuel return and vacuum) and clamp it properly as per the diagrams below.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-capture.jpg

7. Connect the fuel relay, negative terminal and prime it. Notice the joints for any leaks.

8. Reinstall the airfilter hose, and start the engine. Keep an eye over the fuel pressure regulator for any leaks. The replacement is made by Ucal Mikuni, and I hope it lasts as long as the original one.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20181120_081848.jpg

Other common symptoms of a malfunctioning fuel regulator:

1. Engine running rich or lean. A common indicator is smell of unburnt fuel from exhaust or engine vibrating more than normal.

2. Abnormal noise(my case)

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 24th November 2018 at 06:54.
Leoshashi is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 10:19   #527
BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Hello All,

I have a 2002 blue metallic 5 Speed M800.

I have a 2002 Maruti 800 5-speed and just got it serviced after a while, around 15,000 km. Yes, that was quite a long period without service or engine oil change. The car has done around 1,14,000 Km. The car was in Mumbai and then brought to Bangalore in 2009. While at service they removed the top cover of the engine and there was a lot of carbon deposit. They said they wouldn't clean that in service, but I still convinced them to clean the top of it.

The car was serviced and came back without any issues. It had done 450 km successfully without any issues. I kept the car idle for a week or so and when I recently started the car and drove around 2 km when I suddenly felt on small loss of engine power while driving and it was almost like the car wasn't accelerating, so stopped it on the side of the road to see what happened. It felt like the petrol got over although it was half tank full. Started it again in 10 seconds and it started.

I reached my destination and on returning to my car I found out that the coolant cap had blown off and the coolant was boiling and the coolant was all over the place. I waited for it too cool down and drove it home.

On taking it to the Maruti Nexus service center near my home, in Sanjaynagar, he advised me that we could start troubleshooting by changing the engine thermostat valve (cost Rs. 500) and the Radiator needed to be cleaned (cost Rs. 1k) or replaced (cost Rs. 2.5k) and if that didn't work then the head gasket (cost Rs. 8k) needed to be replaced. I did the first two and now he says change the head gasket. I am wondering if this is going the right way now.

Read on this thread that Mpfi cars need the Tech 2 test. Can you throw some light on this test and why and where I can have it done?

Also another recent thing I did just after service was to meet the Autocop guys for a door that was not locking. While checking the Autocop he had pulled out the wires below the steering dash board and tightened them. Is there any electronics here that could have loosened up because of which it is causing the overheating? Also when the coolant cap below off and the coolant overflowed, the engine heat was at half which looked pretty not so right especially when the coolant tank top blew off and the coolant was leaking.

I'm wondering what my options are. I do not want to spend too much but at the same time need a good mechanic who can do the diagnosis correctly.

I cannot even drive it now since there is some problem. After reading a Team-bhp thread someone suggested that I do a tech 2 test at Mandovi Bangalore.

I need someone reliable from Bangalore who is passionate about the car and an advice me on this.someone who owns this car would be the best person to advice.anyone here who can help me with this?

My entire family is telling me to sell this car but I am in no mood to sell this guy.This car has stood through my thick and thins, ups and downs in life.

Please help.

Last edited by navin : 30th November 2018 at 12:27. Reason: several typos and grammartical and formatting errors.
Old 30th November 2018, 11:21   #528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmanscam View Post
Welcome to the forum. Glad to know a fellow 5S 800 owner.

Quote:
I have a 2002 Maruti 800 5-speed and just got it serviced after a while, around 15,000 km. Yes, that was quite a long period without service or engine oil change. The car has done around 1,14,000 Km. The car was in Mumbai and then brought to Bangalore in 2009. While at service they removed the top cover of the engine and there was a lot of carbon deposit. They said they wouldn't clean that in service, but I still convinced them to clean the top of it.
That accumulation is called sludge, and the extended and irregular oil change intervals cause it. With mineral oils, 5000kms is max I would recommend. For synthetics, you may extend to 10k kms max

Quote:
I reached my destination and on returning to my car I found out that the coolant cap had blown off and the coolant was boiling and the coolant was all over the place. I waited for it too cool down and drove it home.

On taking it to the Maruti Nexus service center near my home, in Sanjaynagar, he advised me that we could start troubleshooting by changing the engine thermostat valve (cost Rs. 500) and the Radiator needed to be cleaned (cost Rs. 1k) or replaced (cost Rs. 2.5k) and if that didn't work then the head gasket (cost Rs. 8k) needed to be replaced. I did the first two and now he says change the head gasket. I am wondering if this is going the right way now.
Coolant boiling and cap getting blown points towards two things:

1. Either the head-gasket has blown(common symptoms include whitish smoke, oil mixed with coolant and with a coffee like appearance, coolant boiling in reservoir tank etc.

OR

2. The cooling system isn't able to efficiently able to remove heat from the system. This can be because of poor coolant(adulterated), clogged radiator and/or coolant galleries, malfunctioning fan motor/relay/fuse, malfunctioning ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor, malfunctioning water pump(usually accompanied by a sound) etc.

Quote:
Read on this thread that Mpfi cars need the Tech 2 test. Can you throw some light on this test and why and where I can have it done?
Any MASS will have it, they call it SDT(Suzuki Diagnostics Tool) which they plug into your OBD port and get all the engine parameters. Noticeable parameters include the ECT readings. In a healthy car, the fan gets triggered at around 95-97 degrees Celsius and turns off once the coolant temperature reaches 88 degrees. Also the rate of temperature decrease while idling or on the move matters a lot. A slow fall of temperature, or extended fan running intervals point towards a bad coolant or clogged radiator.

Other points I'd like to point:

1. A way to check if fan is okay is by disconnecting the ECT coupler. The system will throw a CEL along with a non stop running fan.

2. Then check for head-gasket symptoms as mentioned earlier. Replace coolant if its in bad shape. Would recommend a flush if you have been irregular or careless(read using tap water) with coolant.

3. There are ways listed to check the ECT listed in Workshop manuals. Ask your MASS to check it.

4. Check radiator relay for proper functioning. The acceptable resistance is between 85 to 95 Ohms

5. The air bleed valve of the thermostat should be clean. If its clogged or corroded, replace the valve. Costs approx Rs. 270.

Regards,
Shashi

PS: Please post pics of your car's coolant condition, and pics of the dipstick to enable us to help you more.

Last edited by GTO : 1st December 2018 at 09:12. Reason: edited quoted post
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 14:02   #529
BHPian

Hello Shashi,

Firstly thanks a ton for that detailed message. It really helps.

I just met my Nexus MASS, now they're saying they've done the following in the order mentioned below but with no noticeable improvement in performance or reduction in heat.

1. Replaced the thermostat valve Rs 275+ labour
2. Replaced the radiator Rs 2800+ labour

Suggested Next Steps:
A) The engine gasket needs to be replaced ( costs some Rs 700 but labour will be around 7-8k)

B) The strainer which strains the engine oil below might be blocked and might need replacement

C) The water pump needs to be checked and if non functional needs replacement.

D) if they find that the head is damaged in any way they might need to replace that as well.(Rs 15k+ labour)

Now they're stating that the engine has a lot of carbon deposits and that needs to be cleaned. This might mean an entire engine overhaul with new pistons, rings etc and that could cost close to 35-45k.

Which means engine oils change and coolant change.It was juts replaced 450 km ago.

I love my Maruti 800 5 speed and that's the reason I have stuck on to it.These expenses are really burning a hole in my pocket.I really need someone who can bail me out and save me from having to junknor sell this car.

I just spent 11k on getting my FC for this car.
I spent 6k on the last service

Now this. Can you suggest someone near Sanjaynagar Ramaian who can actually do these diagnostic tests and come to a more concrete conclusion of where the issue is??

My guess is that it's more to do with some sensor malfunctioning and not any of the other things.This malfunction could have damaged the gasket, I agree. But there were no issues at all with the car all these 16 years and now this.

As for the results of the diagnosis.
1. They say engine oil and the coolant haven't mixed because they checked the Colorado of the coolant and it's not milky or coffee color.

2. They also checked the spark plugs and there is no issue there as well.

3. There is a lot of carbin deposit.

I told them about tech 2 test but they're saying that has nothing to do with this.My gut feeling says that will isolate the faultt sensor and things should be back to normal.

Please suggest a good mechanic who puts interest into what he does.

Thanks Arvind
also is there a way I could call you please.? Can I share my number here ...it is 988649xxxx and I am from Bangalore.

Last edited by navin : 30th November 2018 at 16:54. Reason: typos and edited number so full number is not avaiable
madmanscam is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2018, 15:32   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Now they're stating that the engine has a lot of carbon deposits and that needs to be cleaned.This might mean an entire engine overhaul with new pistons , rings etc and that could cost close to 35-45k.
First things first,

Never show the service center guys how much you love your car unless, you know them personally or have a good rapport with them. Your love is their profit! The more you show concern, the more they point out problems in your car.

Secondly, take your car out of the service center and take it to a local garage. Maruti 800 was a common car and was sold in large numbers so most mechanics know how to work on them.

Third, the labour charges that the local mechanics are going to charge will be much less and will be dependent on your bargaining skills, for example, I took my friend's swift for a clutch change, parts excluded, we didn't pay more than Rs.800 in labour and the job was well done for a local garage. (He asked for 2000)

Fourth, try to source parts from local retailers/dealers, they will provide parts for a much smaller price than what the service center is charging you.

Fifth, sludge and carbon deposit are just excuses, for them to suck up every single penny from your wallet, don't believe every single word they say unless there is a considerable proof and compare it to other cars if there are any. Old cars are supposed to have sludge in them.

P.s.- when you show your car to the mechanic, don't point out any problem from your side, let him investigate, and wait for the quote and then start bargaining like a mad man and ask him for cheaper solutions. That's the so-called trick.

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 30th November 2018 at 15:48.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 15:49   #531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just met my Nexus MASS
That's an A category MASS, so hoping the diagnosis are fine.

Quote:
2. Replaced the radiator Rs 2800+ labour
Something doesn't add up, Please post the bill or the part number they used. The radiator of 5 Speed costs Rs. 2131 with the following part number:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20180830_130526.jpg

Quote:
B) The strainer which strains the engine oil below might be blocked and might need replacement
Make sure the part used is of the 5S 800, normal 4S uses a thinner strainer.

Quote:
D) if they find that the head is damaged in any way they might need to replace that as well.(Rs 15k+ labour)
This is what got my goat! Firstly, the head of the 5S 800 costs Rs. 22k for part alone(yes it costs 3x of even the Swift petrol). Secondly why replace the head without even diagnosing?? This isn't the way of diagnosis. Why was the radiator replaced?? Was it damaged or just as hit and trial?

Kindly answer these questions:

1. What was wrong with the old radiator? Post pics

2. What do they have to say about the sensor and the fan motor?

Quote:
Now they're stating that the engine has a lot of carbon deposits and that needs to be cleaned.This might mean an entire engine overhaul with new pistons , rings etc and that could cost close to 35-45k.
Won't cost you that much in any case. Firstly, block and half engine both have been discontinued for the 5S 800. Alto's engine despite being F8D, is way different and I am not sure if the blocks can be interchanged even if need arises.

Secondly, completely dismantling the engine, cleaning carbon, overhauling etc won't cost you more than 20k in any case. So the estimates given by your MASS is really absurd.

Whether or not your engine needs overhauling, can be decided by getting a compression test done.

Let's not think about this, let's sort out the cooling issues first.
Quote:
I told them about tech 2 test but they're saying that has nothing to do with this.My gut feeling says that will isolate the faultt sensor and things should be back to normal.
Either they don't have the SDT or they are simply being lazy. Even without connecting, how can they declare what's going to happen??

Quote:
Will let you know about it in a couple of hours max. Stay away from your MASS. And meanwhile post the pics and details which I have requested for. Without them I cannot help.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 15:55   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, congrats on owning a M800 5S. M800 5S have become very rare now a days. I would like to see some photos of your car, blue color is quite rare for a 02 M800.
Quote:
I kept the car idle for a week or so and when I recently started the car and drove around 2 km when I suddenly felt on small loss of engine power while driving and it was almost like the car wasn't accelerating, so stopped it on the side of the road to see what happened. It felt like the petrol got over although it was half tank full. Started it again in 10 seconds and it started.
Regarding the first time you felt power loss, it can't be due to an overheating engine, simply because an engine can't overheat within 2 km, even if you run her without coolant. I am guessing maybe the fuel filter is clogged, you might want to change it during the next oil change.
Quote:
On taking it to the Maruti Nexus service center near my home, in Sanjaynagar, he advised me that we could start troubleshooting by changing the engine thermostat valve (cost Rs. 500) and the Radiator needed to be cleaned (cost Rs. 1k) or replaced (cost Rs. 2.5k) and if that didn't work then the head gasket (cost Rs. 8k) needed to be replaced. I did the first two and now he says change the head gasket.
Few months back I went through a similar ordeal. My 01 Zen VXi overheated while climbing up a ghat section with 4 passengers & AC switched on. First the AC compressor cut off, then I noticed that the temperature needle was climbing past the half way mark. I immediately stopped the car & opened the bonnet, coolant was boiling & pouring out of the coolant expansion tank. Strangely the car wouldn't overheat in plains, it would only overheat while climbing, that too if the AC was in full blast.

After that I went to my preferred MASS, where the SA plugged in the SDT (Suzuki Diagnostic tool) & checked the functioning of the radiator fan. Even though the car wasn't overheating, the fan was continuously on. After that he advised me to get the radiator cleaned at a FNG & check if it solved the problem. Otherwise the head would need to be overhauled, by head overhauling he meant changing the head gasket (2k estimate) or if needed, sending the head to a lathe machine to redo the engine head (7-8k estimate). Apparently sometimes due to sludge, the coolant lines can get blocked. The blockage means the coolant can't move freely & cool the engine down.

Then I got the radiator thoroughly cleaned at a FNG, the radiator was removed from the car & taken to a radiator specialist garage (who specializes in radiator cleaning). Lots of gunk came out from the radiator. After that the radiator was put back in the car along with a new thermostat valve. Luckily for me the car stopped overheating after that, even while climbing ghats with AC on.

It seems you have already got the radiator cleaned & thermostat valve replaced. I couldn't figure out from your post whether the overheating problem has been solved or not? If yes, then don't bother replacing the head gasket. Otherwise you would need to get the head overhauled. In a healthy M800, the temperature gauge shouldn't move past the 40% mark, even with AC on.

This is where the temperature gauge stays in my uncle's 09 M800:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-m800-temperature.jpg

First I would advice you to get the radiator properly cleaned. By proper cleaning I mean removing the radiator from the car & cleaning it thoroughly. Most garages like to use some radiator cleaner/flush, to clean the radiator without taking the radiator out of the car. Trust me, these methods don't work if your radiator is badly clogged. Along with radiator cleaning, I would advice you to put a new thermostat valve. Even if after that the car overheats, you would need to get the head overhauled (7-8k maximum).

Quote:
Tech 2 is commonly referred to as SDT (Suzuki diagnostic tool), any MASS will have it. When my car was overheating, my SA plugged in the SDT & checked the engine coolant temperature & fan functioning. According to my SA, the engine temperature will first rise to 97-98 degrees Celsius & then the fan will start. The fan will lower the temperature to 91 degrees Celsius & then the fan will switch off, & the whole cycle will be repeated.

In my car the radiator fan was continuously on & the temperature was within the 98-100 degrees Celsius range, the fan was unable to lower the coolant temperature to the desired level. All this while the temperature gauge was at the 40% mark, so it was overheating just a bit. So, if you are unsure whether your car is overheating or not, go to a MASS, & ask them to plug in the SDT. Then monitor your engine coolant temperature & fan behavior.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 30th November 2018 at 16:19.
chiranjitp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:32   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with all your points, except this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Fifth, sludge and carbon deposit are just excuses, for them to suck up every single penny from your wallet, don't believe every single word they say unless there is a considerable proof and compare it to other cars if there are any. Old cars are supposed to have sludge in them.
Not really. My 800 is a 2000 Vintage 5 Speed, with more than 3.31L kms on its odo, still on the original engine, and this is the state of the internals:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20170907_183905.jpg

The only thing which causes sludge is using poor quality engine oil and then having long and careless oil drain intervals.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 16:47   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The only thing which causes sludge is using poor quality engine oil and then having long and careless oil drain intervals.
+1

Add to that the radiator gunk. That does not form unless the coolant has not been flushed at regular intervals with the right quality and quantity of coolant.

@madmanscam, sorry but your car shows signs of at least partial neglect. You will need to follow the schedule in the owners for all topping off/changing fluids, and other inspections. Ignoring the schedule adds up to big maintenance bills and vehicle break downs. There's no better thread on Team BHP than this one for any maintenance related to a M800. Feel free to ask away.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 17:02   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Sharing some pics of his car's state which will help other BHPians to guide him better:

Coolant in reservoir tank: Looks to have oil floating on top, plus shows evidence of Tap water

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0022.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0024.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0023.jpg

Old radiator: Was clogged and showed carelessness in maintanance, but replacing wasn't necessary IMO. They could have cleaned it easily.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0010.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0015.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0011.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0013.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0014.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0012.jpg

Anyways the replacement part was correct.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0018.jpg

Condition of oil and sludge. Oil is 500kms old

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0021.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0028.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0031.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0020.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0030.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0027.jpg

This is worrying: Lots of blowby. Is the engine gone?? Experts, please comment

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0040.jpg

Newly put coolant

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181130wa0038.jpg

He is at the workshop, hence he is unable to post them here. He sent me these on whatsapp which I am posting here.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 30th November 2018 at 17:10.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 20:55   #536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing some pics of his car's state which will help other BHPians to guide him better: Coolant in reservoir tank: Looks to have oil floating on top, plus shows evidence of Tap water
Clear evidence of mixing more water than coolant, that rust is telling. When coolant is in the proper ratio i.e. 50:50 rust doesn't form. Many people just add water to the expansion bottle instead of a coolant-water mix.

Quote:
This is worrying: Lots of blowby. Is the engine gone?? Experts, please comment
I have seen this condition before in a 1988 M800. So here's what I think happened. At some point in time:

a) The coolant ran low due to a leak or simply because it wasn't topped up
b) Engine overheated and possibly partially seized
c) Oil burned which condensed at the head and the valve train. Hence the sludge
d) Head warped

This engine does not look in good shape to me. A compression test on all 3 cylinders is advised to ascertain internal condition.

Quote:
He is at the workshop, hence he is unable to post them here. He sent me these on whatsapp which I am posting here.
As optimistic as I normally am the photos depict definite signs of neglect.
R2D2 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 07:59   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing some pics of his car's state which will help other BHPians to guide him better:

Shashi

Sashi Bhai, Which Workshop is he at? I know most of the MASS in Sanjayngar, ? It looks like he would need to clean the head once and then replace the head, Intake gaskets. This should solve the oil + coolant problem.
Captain Slow is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 09:54   #538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Sashi Bhai, Which Workshop is he at? I know most of the MASS in Sanjayngar, ? It looks like he would need to clean the head once and then replace the head, Intake gaskets. This should solve the oil + coolant problem.
His car is currently at Nexus, opposite Ramaiyah(pardon me if I get the spellings wrong).

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2018, 20:41   #539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I can suggest you one- Sejal Motors, Mahadevpura.
https://goo.gl/maps/XeoSigMDDH72

I have got my '04 model Baleno's engine overhaul, gear box overhaul done there and is my regular service center. That place should be the right one if the location is convenient and if you still have plans to check on it.

I have been there even today for an oil change and have seen an M800 engine bay getting a complete repainting which involved removal of all the parts including taking out the engine.
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 12:19   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Update regarding BHPian Madmanscam's Maruti 800: He contacted Sejal Motors, and they too recommended getting the elementary work done at the MASS, as the car wasn't safe to be driven.

So the MASS has dismantled the engine, and here are some pics:

State of the Tappet Cover

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181201wa0023.jpg

Sludgefest on the Head

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0001.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0002.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0008.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0041.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0018.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0007.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0004.jpg

Block

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0005.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0025.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0037.jpg

Headgasket

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0013.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0015.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0019.jpg

Camshaft Pulley

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0016.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0017.jpg

Tensioner

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0020.jpg

Even the timing cover wasn't spared

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0021.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0022.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0030.jpg

Another look at the internals

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0035.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0023.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0036.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0039.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0040.jpg

Oil Strainer: The oil pump was surely working overtime.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0024.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0029.jpg

SumP:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20181204wa0043.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed