Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2019, 12:05   #676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
The R2D2 Phenomena: Ever since I came in touch with DBHPian R2D2, I am amazed by the child like passion he has for cars, and specially his thought process is addictive. He is now my go to person for any advice.
Thanks Shashi. When these words come from a guy who maintains his nearly 20 year old car in better than factory condition I will take it as a compliment.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 18:45   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
1. He had mentioned long back about the Toyota Caliper grease he swears by, and I ordered it without thinking twice.
I purchased some caliper grease from the MGP store. This was in small sachets and transparent pink in colour. Is it the same with the Toyota one or something else? IIRC Maruti were earlier offering copper based grease. But the one I got was different. Can you compare the two?
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 19:22   #678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I purchased some caliper grease from the MGP store. This was in small sachets and transparent pink in colour. Is it the same with the Toyota one or something else? IIRC Maruti were earlier offering copper based grease. But the one I got was different. Can you compare the two?
Any pic of the sachets? The last time I checked, they were bright orange in color, TVS Girling make. The copper based grease came in rebuild kits of SX4 IIRC.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2020, 10:36   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I reckon they are different having used and seen the Maruti caliper grease back in the old days. IIRC the Toyota rubber grease is less viscous and easy to spread. And given its widespread use in Toyota vehicles across the world (this is only recommended grease) it is possibly of better quality. This synthetic grease is only meant for brake pin lubing and during a caliper rebuild on the piston gasket, caliper oil seals and any internal rubber parts

Quote:
Any pic of the sachets? The last time I checked, they were bright orange in color, TVS Girling make. The copper based grease came in rebuild kits of SX4 IIRC.
Copper based grease, for eg the Permatex copper brake caliper grease is used for caliper and brake pad contact point lubing i.e. on the brake shims and caliper bolts. Some idiots even use a liberal dose on wheel lug nuts which IMHO is not a good idea.

Copper grease is not used for caliper pins as the rubber boot and O ring may swell up and cause the caliper to jam. I am looking at you Permatex. These greases are not rubber friendly unless specifically stated. Strangely although Permatex ceramic purple is supposedly safe it is had mixed reviews/results with many saying it messed up the rubber parts within a matter of months after application. YMMV of course. Don't take a risk, use that Toyota stuff, trust me that thing lasts a long time. A reapplication is necessary only after several years or if the boots tear and contamination occurs.

Good to hear about the Redline MT-90 working well in GG's gearbox.

Last edited by R2D2 : 1st January 2020 at 10:38.
R2D2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 21:09   #680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What helped in MGA's case was that Nippon was backing the product. Hence no sweat over any failed batteries or tyre valves. Not saying that Sensairy is bad, but it was my assessment that I'll be able to deal with Nippon and Maruti better. Secondly, what is sold by Maruti is essentially a Schrader UK made product. A quick search on the internet revealed that this is a common product in aftermarkets, and there won't be any shortage of anything even if Maruti/Nippon fails to provide support.
Quote:
I had installed TPMS in my steel rims, and after changing to alloys, my 800 was left without TPMS. Maruti doesn't sell Schrader service kits in India, and they wanted me to change the entire sensor, which was installed a few days back. BHPian WasavaTyres from Indore came to the rescue and sent me 4 service kits which included new valves and screws. Thanks a lot Boss!
As I had mentioned in my previous posts, I had opted for this version of TPMS because of the support options I had. When I needed a sensor valve, Maruti/Nippon pushed for changing the entire sensor at around Rs.1300/piece. Thankfully a BHPian came to rescue and sent me Schrader rebuild kits.

Nevertheless this incident left me livid with Maruti/Nippon and I wished to know how those manufacturers work which give TPMS as an OEM feature and not an accessory like Maruti. Mahindra came to mind, and I went through their parts catalogue. Thankfully Boodmo had pics of the sensor used by Mahindra and it was exactly same which Maruti was using. I believe even the vendor(Schrader UK) is same.

Mahindra had option of purchasing just the Snap in Valve which is exactly what Schrader rebuild kits are. Ordered it on Boodmo and after some delay, they delivered it today. So another mystery solved.

Pics:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20200106_205328.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20200106_205400.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th January 2020, 21:27   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Ordered it on Boodmo and after some delay, they delivered it today. So another mystery solved.
They're similar to the one used by Sensairy.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img_20170603_194753.jpg

And they cost much less, Rs. 370 for 4 of them.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-screenshot_20200106213044.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 6th January 2020 at 21:44.
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 12:15   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Shashi,What is the part number and cost of the Toyota caliper grease ? Is it available on Boodmo?
Old 7th January 2020, 12:20   #683
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is it available on Boodmo?
Yes it is available.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-screenshot_20200101131214.jpg
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 12:27   #684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Shashi,What is the part number and cost of the Toyota caliper grease ? Is it available on Boodmo?
Part # 08887-01206. Boodmo lists the grease but it is only by special order from a TKM dealer. Believe it or not even dealers don't know about it.

So I am not sure if Boodmo can source it for you. Try your luck through as it is an inexpensive part. IIRC I paid about Rs 700-750 for the tube including taxes in Pune.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 12:46   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Yes it is available.

Attachment 1954333
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Part # 08887-01206. Boodmo lists the grease but it is only by special order from a TKM dealer. Believe it or not even dealers don't know about it.

So I am not sure if Boodmo can source it for you. Try your luck through as it is an inexpensive part. IIRC I paid about Rs 700-750 for the tube including taxes in Pune.
There is one more grease which specifically says caliper grease. The one below. Any idea how different are these two?

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuin.../dp/B00P2QMDLQ
Old 7th January 2020, 13:27   #686
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is one more grease which specifically says caliper grease. The one below. Any idea how different are these two?

https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Genuin.../dp/B00P2QMDLQ

Rubber grease is for all points that have rubber parts while caliper grease is for parts that experience metal to metal contact. Sorry I can't be more articulate as this reply is via the app.
Old 7th January 2020, 13:51   #687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rubber grease is for all points that have rubber parts while caliper grease is for parts that experience metal to metal contact. Sorry I can't be more articulate as this reply is via the app.
In that case shouldn't the caliper grease be used for slide pins/guide rods since there is a metal to metal contact?
Old 7th January 2020, 15:08   #688
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In that case shouldn't the caliper grease be used for slide pins/guide rods since there is a metal to metal contact?

Caliper pins are called floating pins for a reason. They move and literally "float" on a film of lube. And there is minimal metal to metal contact between the pins and the pin bore.

Also, this grease is for ALL parts where rubber is used for e.g the boots, O rings, gaskets & seals..

Caliper grease on the other hand is used for parts where there is metal to metal contact for eg between the caliper yoke and pad shim, pad shim and piston.

Let me also add - this caliper grease is to be used ONLY when recommended in the workshop manual. Sorry for the brevity but this is via the app.
R2D2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th January 2020, 15:48   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Caliper pins are called floating pins for a reason. They move and literally "float" on a film of lube. And there is minimal metal to metal contact between the pins and the pin bore.

Also, this grease is for ALL parts where rubber is used for e.g the boots, O rings, gaskets & seals..

Caliper grease on the other hand is used for parts where there is metal to metal contact for eg between the caliper yoke and pad shim, pad shim and piston.

Let me also add - this caliper grease is to be used ONLY when recommended in the workshop manual. Sorry for the brevity but this is via the app.
I understood. I will go ahead and order one tube from boodmo.

Sorry Shashi for going on your thread.
Old 7th January 2020, 15:59   #690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I understood. I will go ahead and order one tube from boodmo.

Sorry Shashi for going on your thread.

Please do remember what this grease is used for. Don't apply it to shims and metal parts. Not meant for that purpose. Also, not sure about Boodmo but TKM dealers asked me for my car's VIN and other details before placing an order with the factory..probably the only place where this is used obviously during vehicle assembly. Dealers use some other strange blue-green grease to lube the pins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks