Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2020, 19:01   #796
Distinguished - BHPian

8mm is the max hole diameter that can be plugged by mushroom patch safely. So if you still have the thick bolt of the reflector ,measure the diameter and check.
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 23:24   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
8mm is the max hole diameter that can be plugged by mushroom patch safely. So if you still have the thick bolt of the reflector ,measure the diameter and check.
Thankfully it wasn't the bolt which pierced, I had mentioned it in my last post. It was a thin screw. So I guess the mushroom patch should hold up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Fortunately for me, it was the top part of the reflector which broke here, which had a thin but long screw. That screw went inside and as per dia of the screw, it was a pretty narrow hole. I was more worried about location of the damage. Anyways that tyre has been patched up from inside and I've kept it in the boot.
Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 20:06   #798
BHPian

Re: The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27

Just went downstairs to check the odo on my grandfather's 800.
It's a whopping 212k kms

The coolant leaked out completely and the car stopped on the highway day before yesterday, He filled it with water and brought the car back home 100kms away doing speeds around 70.

That CARB IS INDESTRUCTIBLE!!!

EDIT: Almost forgot!! Parts in the engine bay were RED HOT When the car stopped due to overheating.
And yet it runs well, Just did a grocery run and got back.
Just needs the choke to start and after a minute, you're off to the races!

Last edited by viXit : 1st September 2020 at 20:07.
viXit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 01:56   #799
BHPian

Quote:
That Maruti emblem for the steering wheel is pretty normal stuff. He got the shock of his life when I approached him with the requirement for plastics (dust cover) which are inside door pads.
Is this IRVM a direct fit for 4 speed 800 (2007 model) ??

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 2nd September 2020 at 07:29.
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:37   #800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpzonwheels View Post
Is this IRVM a direct fit for 4 speed 800 (2007 model) ??

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding
Yes, it will be black in color though, compared to grey in your car currently.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:05   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it will be black in color though, compared to grey in your car currently.
Colour is not an issue as it is very difficult to drive in the night with all the reflections. I am planning to order it through boodmo.
Thanks to you

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd September 2020 at 18:16. Reason: Typo
Kpzonwheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 23:14   #802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to order it through boodmo.
Go ahead. Do post pics once you are done.

Regards,
Shashi
Old 3rd September 2020, 16:24   #803
BHPian

Hi
Sorry for cross posting. I am hearing a strange sound while accelerating and upon checking I found the boot on the rack side in the steering unit is torn. I have done the annual service last week from MASS and informed them about the sound and they said it was from the right drive shaft but there is no crack on the rubber part of the drive shaft. Is the sound coming beacuse of the torn boot??. I am attaching a pic of the torn part.
Attached Thumbnails
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-picsart_090304.21.58.jpg  

Kpzonwheels is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:59   #804
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Sorry for cross posting. I am hearing a strange sound while accelerating and upon checking I found the boot on the rack side in the steering unit is torn. I have done the annual service last week from MASS and informed them about the sound and they said it was from the right drive shaft but there is no crack on the rubber part of the drive shaft. Is the sound coming beacuse of the torn boot??. I am attaching a pic of the torn part.
Guess your driveshaft is gone(if sound is from the driveshaft). It means you are most likely running with a torn boot since many days. Sand/dust etc gets into CV joints and wears them out faster.

If driveshaft is fine then get the boot replaced ASAP!

Regards,
Shashi
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:28   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Guess your driveshaft is gone(if sound is from the driveshaft). It means you are most likely running with a torn boot since many days. Sand/dust etc gets into CV joints and wears them out faster.

If driveshaft is fine then get the boot replaced ASAP!

Regards,
Shashi
Driveshafts boots are fine . I checked all the rubber parts and it is in good condition. Rubber boot on the steering tie rod end is torn .
Old 4th September 2020, 02:14   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Turned out, the original ones on my car were made by Tokai Denso, Japan. The replacement ones were made by some Indian firm named Jay.
Can I get these tokaidenso lenses anywhere now?
I can't find anything by the name in boodmo.

I don't know what brand the MGA parts that boodmo is selling is from.

We're planning to replace the faded headlight lenses, The MGA part is a hundred bucks more than the lumax ones, are lumax the same?
I think lumax only manufacture it for them right?
Old 4th September 2020, 11:13   #807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Driveshafts boots are fine . I checked all the rubber parts and it is in good condition. Rubber boot on the steering tie rod end is torn .
Apologies, yes the steering boot is torn. Noise is something which only a mechanic present with the car can diagnose. But do get it repaired ASAP and change the grease if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I don't know what brand the MGA parts that boodmo is selling is from.
On Boodmo you will find Jay(MGP), Uno Minda and Lumax.

Quote:
We're planning to replace the faded headlight lenses, The MGA part is a hundred bucks more than the lumax ones, are lumax the same?
I think lumax only manufacture it for them right?
Yes Lumax is the supplier for MGP but there is day and night difference between the two. For HL stick to MGP. Logic that manufacturer is same so quality is same doesn't work in spares business. Always remember that.

Even in aftermarket Lumax, they have 2-3 qualities of headlights:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-1.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-2.jpg

My choice for lights of M800 Type 2 are:

Headlights(MGP):

Link RH

Link RH

Parking Lights(Get Uno Minda):

Link LH

Link RH

Front Bumper lights:

Link RH

Link LH

Rear Tail Light(MGP, Lumax Make):

Link RH

Link LH

Side turn Indicator:

Link to Lumax

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:54   #808
BHPian

Quote:

Yes Lumax is the supplier for MGP but there is day and night difference between the two. For HL stick to MGP. Logic that manufacturer is same so quality is same doesn't work in spares business. Always remember that.

Even in aftermarket Lumax, they have 2-3 qualities of headlights:

My choice for lights of M800 Type 2 are:
I was about to make the mistake of ordering the cheaper parts thinking the manufacturer is the same.
Thank you so much for compiling the links.
There is a lot that needs to be done on the car but the headlights were the priority.
The 800 sees the highway 3 days in a week sometimes doing 300 odd kilometres 4 days a week.

Nighttime driving was dangerous like that.
A collision resulted in the headlight being hit and changing the direction they're pointing. It's not sitting flush anymore.
the brakes didn't work properly and the pedal just sank in without any effect on the car's speed.
The car went and hit a two-wheeler ahead. Luckily no one was injured,

Once the alignment is taken care of, the bulbs shall be replaced, I have placed an order for the cabin light assembly and bulb too.
Any suggestions there?

Also will see if I can buy the same LEDs that you have installed on your car.
My grandfather gets the car maintained at a small garage below his building.
The car has seen all kinds of cheap repairs and jugaads, So I'm skeptical whether he's going to be willing to dish out some bucks on the LED upgrades, I am fully convinced of it's advantage though.

I had another small doubt.
On the cross beam behind the bumper, Under the radiator, there are holes in the metal closed with a sticker, what are those?
Old 5th September 2020, 01:25   #809
BHPian

Hey Shashi, hope you and the 800 both are doing good. BTW, any luck on this one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aish_4761 View Post
However, when going through boodmo, I came across this 77809M79G00A12 part number which seems unavailable. They even have this 77833M79G00 emblem. Leoshashi, kindly help me in sourcing one of these sets of graphics.
Attachment 2033454
Meanwhile, I spotted a leak in the engine bay from the top of the Engine, turns out, it was the tappet cover gasket that was leaking. Got that fixed at MASS and also got the horn replaced which used to stop at times in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic..!!

I am also attaching a picture of the engine, with the tappet cover removed. Since both our cars have F8D, I guess, you would be able to tell me about the health of my engine. The car is a relatively low mileage (<50k on the Odo) but, has aged to 17+ years which makes me think that I should apply for a driver's license and voter ID of the Alto herself as she is soon to be 18.

Thant being said, I am quite happy with the quality of parts used back then, the engine doesn't consume any amount of oil, heck my 15' Jazz consumes some over the miles....!

Here is the picture of the engine:
The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img_20200817_114839518.jpg
Aish_4761 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 22:07   #810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post

A collision resulted in the headlight being hit and changing the direction they're pointing. It's not sitting flush anymore.
Hope the lamp support isn't bent(it's welded to the apron). Replace the lamp brackets and get new screws. I think it should fix your issue.

Quote:
the brakes didn't work properly and the pedal just sank in without any effect on the car's speed.
Consider getting a Brake booster installed from the 5S 800, it will be one of the best investments you will ever do.

Quote:
Once the alignment is taken care of, the bulbs shall be replaced, I have placed an order for the cabin light assembly and bulb too.
Any suggestions there?
No, MGP is good. You may consider getting LEDs if you like them.

Quote:
Also will see if I can buy the same LEDs that you have installed on your car.
Better model has come in market, goes by name Philips XtremeUltinon H4 LED.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20200525wa0008.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20200525wa0009.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20200525wa0010.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20200525wa0011.jpg

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-img20200525wa0012.jpg

Another thing I'd like to point out. See if you can source a decent pair of IJL Headlamps from scrap. The effectiveness and throw is because of the lens design of IJL compared to the Lumax which is available in MGP. Sharing some pics with you, you will be able to identify the difference better:

Notice any difference between the HL of this 800? I'm sure it has IJL(or one of the Original Lumax) on the driver side.

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-88228559_516457469273301_8548975589137055744_o.jpg

Notice the dense lines on IJL, compare them to Lumax what's available today:

The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27-20190821_142629.jpg

Quote:

I had another small doubt.
On the cross beam behind the bumper, Under the radiator, there are holes in the metal closed with a sticker, what are those?
No idea, just make sure they are closed with a sticker or something similar. Else rust formation will happen in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aish_4761 View Post
Hey Shashi, hope you and the 800 both are doing good. BTW, any luck on this one?
I'll let you know once I get any info about the part. TBH I have not been able to start the hunt, but its pretty much there on my list.

Quote:

Meanwhile, I spotted a leak in the engine bay from the top of the Engine, turns out, it was the tappet cover gasket that was leaking. Got that fixed at MASS and also got the horn replaced which used to stop at times in rush hour bumper to bumper traffic..!!

Thant being said, I am quite happy with the quality of parts used back then, the engine doesn't consume any amount of oil, heck my 15' Jazz consumes some over the miles....!

Here is the picture of the engine:
The engine looks in decent condition, and I'm sure she has been fed with Mineral oil all its life. You may consider switching to Synthetics. I'm on Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and I am done with switching brands.

I agree with you on engine oil consumption. I never had to top up oil in 20 years. No matter how much she is driven. The F8D is a gem.

Regards,
Shashi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks